• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Florida plane crash survivor: 'God is good'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Klocker

How dare she praise the god of her chosen religion for "helping" her through the crash..

but she didn't... had she said "thank god I was spared" Id say -yea I hear ya. (I just replace god with luck, in my mind, and move on)

But she proclaimed a sweeping generalization to "raise god up" even though he had only batted .250 on the moment.

Uchip

Banned
The same person you're trying to impress with your middle school smug atheist act.

Yourself.

I actually posted my opinion without resorting to ad hominem, but you dont seem to know any better so ill just tell you that it doesn't make your case any stronger.

Harping on things like this is the kind of thing that give atheists a rep for being douches.

im sure shes an avid reader of offtopic neogaf and is deeply offended

"on her case" - people are making a few jokes on the internet about someone who thinks a supernatural being spoke to her just before the accident.

Which is a rather cruel thing to do.

I'd love to see people go up to her face and say this. If you're going to say such nasty things about people, say it to their faces

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
Seems pretty dangerous to be putting black hole engines on planes.

tumblr_inline_mfwskek0cf1rv1jfr.gif

"on her case" - people are making a few jokes on the internet about someone who thinks a supernatural being spoke to her just before the accident.

But no jokes have been made. Posters have being calling her selfish and saying that shes dumb for thanking God that she survived, even though 3 others died.
You may feel one way or another about religion, whatever, but how a woman thanking her deity for surviving a traumatic event terrible or anything new?

I actually posted my opinion without resorting to ad hominem, but you dont seem to know any better so ill just tell you that it doesn't make your case any stronger.
OOOOOHHHH HE USED A FALLACY!

I'm mocking you because you deserve to be mocked. You are a child, acting smug and self righteous from your chair, not having suffered from anything. Denouncing this woman in some pathetic pseudo-anger.

Ploid 3.0

but she didn't... had she said "thank god I was spared" Id say -yea I hear ya. (I just replace god with luck, in my mind, and move on)

But she proclaimed a sweeping generalization to "raise god up" even though he had only batted .250 on the moment.

She was describing how she somehow survived with the God is good comment. So maybe she was asked about her experience and how she survived. A question that focused on her, in context that would have been the same as saying "thank god I was spared."

lexi

Banned

I'm mocking you because you deserve to be mocked. You are a child, acting smug and self righteous from your chair, not having suffered from anything. Denouncing this woman in some pathetic pseudo-anger.

I'm not sure about the person you're arguing with, but I don't denounce the woman, I denounce the praising of fictional characters. I'm glad she survived.

Uchip

Banned

its almost like you're trying to prove me right

jediyoshi

The sentiment I'm following is that people are on her case for thanking God that she lived, yet 3 others died.

Then you left out the part where you're not actually making a case against anything anyone is saying. You don't need to see this series of events in its religious context to point out its irony.

Yagharek

Whats wrong with her praising a god in this case?

That same god dropped the ball with respect to the plane crash victims. That's why. It's the classical test of omnipotence. If you can save one, why not save all? If they don't, they are either incompetent or nasty.

Klocker

Nothing. Its stupid sure but its a completely natural reaction for religious people.

yes and it's they way it's used that makes us ridicule.

again, if she thanked god for still being alive, yea we get it.
but to proclaim him GOOD when 3/4 DIED.

nonsense babbling

She was describing how she somehow survived with the God is good comment. So maybe she was asked about her experience and how she survived. A question that focused on her, in context that would have been the same as saying "thank god I was spared."

She said God stopped her from moving, he intervened to save her life.

Crockett said she was getting ready to leave her house when something told her to stop.

but God didn't tell the pilot to not fly a particular route.

That same god dropped the ball with respect to the plane crash victims. That's why. It's the classical test of omnipotence. If you can save one, why not save all? If they don't, they are either incompetent or nasty.

Except that the flaw in this argument is that, if God does exist and rules over a world with an afterlife, then the people dying are simply moving on to the next life, which is generally presumed to be an improvement over this one. So God letting them die doesn't, in the long run, hurt them.
If you havent noticed, majority of GAF is atheist.

There's "atheist" and then there's "/r/atheism."

"Atheist" means you don't believe in God.

"/r/atheism" means you're a smug obnoxious prick.

Emitan

Except that the flaw in this argument is that, if God does exist and rules over a world with an afterlife, then the people dying are simply moving on to the next life, which is generally presumed to be an improvement over this one. So God letting them die doesn't, in the long run, hurt them.

so why doesnt he just kill all of us so we can be happy

what a jerk

Uchip

Banned

then she should be upset that he didnt let her move to the next level!

"/r/atheism" means you're a smug obnoxious prick.

man yells at cloud

Kettch

Probably not, but atheists sure are when people call their behavior douchy.

Her comment was nonsensical, I don't consider pointing that out to be "douchy", especially when it's the article's headline. I'd call out a similar non-religious comment the same way.

Kurtofan

So should she be damning God? I don't get it.

No, but she's kind of expanding too much on it, saying "but other than that, I'm fine. I'm blessed. Truly, God was with me." was a bit too much considering that other people died in the same accident, maybe God wasn't with them?

I wouldn't call it callous if she just said "thank God I'm alive".

Klocker

check please!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom