• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Florida plane crash survivor: 'God is good'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Log4Girlz

Except that the flaw in this argument is that, if God does exist and rules over a world with an afterlife, then the people dying are simply moving on to the next life, which is generally presumed to be an improvement over this one. So God letting them die doesn't, in the long run, hurt them.

There's "atheist" and then there's "/r/atheism."

"Atheist" means you don't believe in God.

"/r/atheism" means you're a smug obnoxious prick.

And this is why imaginary characters can never be held accountable for their actions.

No, but she's kind of expanding too much on it, saying "but other than that, I'm fine. I'm blessed. Truly, God was with me." was a bit too much considering that other people died in the same accident, maybe God wasn't with them?

I think you guys are reading into the comment too much. I see it as this chick simply being happy that she survived.

Yagharek

Except that the flaw in this argument is that, if God does exist and rules over a world with an afterlife, then the people dying are simply moving on to the next life, which is generally presumed to be an improvement over this one. So God letting them die doesn't, in the long run, hurt them.

And the flaw in this argument is the question of the existence of hell. No human crime could be worthy of a punishment that lasts an eternity. So it is still up in the air as to whether or not the three victims were going to a better place (according to various religions logic).

I personally see the woman's quoted response as understandable given the shock, but also in poor taste given the other deaths.

MIMIC

Banned
This women obviously didn't get the "Cheating Death Etiquette" handbook.

She's supposed to be dead....but isn't. Not many people can speak from her experience. I say she gets to thank whoever she wants.

I think you guys are reading into the comment too much. I see it as this chick simply being happy that she survived.

She said God intervened and saved her life.

Crockett said she was getting ready to leave her house when something told her to stop.

If you believe that happened, as she does, you would also have to believe God decided not to intervene and stop the plane ploughing into the house killing the pilot and passengers..

OOOOOHHHH HE USED A FALLACY!

I'm mocking you because you deserve to be mocked. You are a child, acting smug and self righteous from your chair, not having suffered from anything. Denouncing this woman in some pathetic pseudo-anger.

Calm down, he was perfectly reasonable. You are coming more as a fanatic than him as an atheist.

Roche

depends entirely on the timing of the interview, and how much was omitted
but as far as it is depicted here, its bad

To be fair to the woman, you don't know how she views the deaths of those on the plane and you're criticizing her for expressing thanks that she survived an otherwise horrific accident.

What's depicted there isn't as bad as you make it out to be.

Uchip

Banned
did you get beaten with a bible as a child.

is that why you're so angry.

shhhhh.

we can let the healing begin now.

total insults by patahikari: 8
total insults by me: 0

im furious
im sorry Atheists, for making us all look bad :(

Actually no.

Insulting a woman who just survived an accident is not reasonable.

If he's so sure of his righteousness, would he be willing to say that to her face?

you cant insult someone that isnt here

saunderez

Actually no.

Insulting a woman who just survived an accident is not reasonable.

If he's so sure of his righteousness, would he be willing to say that to her face?

Why is she beyond insulting? She survived. Nobody is insulting the deceased, that would be wrong. I don't have any problems insulting someone who avoided a tragedy who is being ridiculously insensitive to the families of the deceased.

Emwitus

These tragedies happen everyday. In church we hear testimonies from different people(sometimes in the same service), others are thankful they were spared from a road accident, others ask for peace because they lost loved ones in a road accident. As a christian, I don't know why others are spared at times while others die.I do understand that i have no greater claim to life than the ones who have left. So i give thanks for the grace God gives me to wake up every morning and go to bed. My two cents.

Dead Man

To be fair to the woman, you don't know how she views the deaths of those on the plane and you're criticizing her for expressing thanks that she survived an otherwise horrific accident.

What's depicted there isn't as bad as you make it out to be.

It's more the 'God is good' bit, rather than thanking god itself. If god is good, why did he not intervene for the others? If she especially blessed? Were they cursed? Is god just lazy?

Though I'm at least insulting a person who can talk back.

That is so far from an insult you can't even see one from there.

Roche

Why is she beyond insulting? She survived. Nobody is insulting the deceased, that would be wrong. I don't have any problems insulting someone who avoided a tragedy who is being ridiculously insensitive to the families of the deceased.

You don't know that she's being ridiculously insensitive, you just assumed that because the article never expressed her views on the deaths of those on the plane.

It's more the 'God is good' bit, rather than thanking god itself. If god is good, why did he not intervene for the others? If she especially blessed? Were they cursed? Is god just lazy?

It's just an expression, I'm sure she wasn't thinking about the wider implications of it when talking with regards to her survival.

Nesotenso

This women obviously didn't get the "Cheating Death Etiquette" handbook.

She's supposed to be dead....but isn't. Not many people can speak from her experience. I say she gets to thank whoever she wants.

I would like a copy of this handbook, then i would know what to say in such a situation and not have atheist GAF all disturbed.

Ploid 3.0

She said God stopped her from moving

That's her thinking, I don't believe that God would stop her from moving though. Maybe she's old and just couldn't move anyway. I can't move when I have sleep paralysis.

Maybe she's in shock, is thinking about the events that allowed her to survive, and is giving credit for every little correct move leading to her surviving to God.

Example:
You know that comfy feeling when you're on your couch, stretched out, and you want some soda. The soda is in the kitchen though, and you just don't have the desire to move. 3 minutes later someone in your house gets the soda you would have gotten and it erupts all over their face. That could have been you, but since you was too lazy to move it wasn't. For her in her state, because she was too lazy to move it was credited to God perhaps.

You don't know that she's being ridiculously insensitive, you just assumed that because the article never expressed her views on the deaths of those on the plane.

Also there's no reason to think she's being insensitive in the first place unless you're on a crusade against religious people.

Nesotenso

That is so far from an insult you can't even see one from there.
I don't know. Are we having philosophical debate on faith or was this thread created to demonstrate someone's callousness ?

Uchip

Banned
Though I'm at least insulting a person who can talk back.

you seem confused as to the definitions of both insult, and self importance

a person that believes themselves to have been favoured by the supposed greatest force in the universe over 3 other people is self important, and if you disagree then you can tell me why it isnt instead of regressing into immature keyboard warrior ad hominem.

whaterever, let her beleve what she wants. No reason to critize her faith or belief in something.

firstly, we dont have the option to change what she believes, so that point is redundant.
We are also entitled to criticize the belief that god had a plan that involved these people dying and this lady living because god loves her. Its twisted.

Dead Man

I don't know. Are we having philosophical debate on faith or was this thread created to demonstrate someone's callousness ?

I thought it was an interesting piece of reporting that illustrated a flaw in many peoples thinking about deities in general so I posted it in hope of discussion.

zoukka

a person that believes themselves to have been favoured by the supposed greatest force in the universe over 3 other people is self important, and if you disagree then you can tell me why it isnt instead of regressing into immature keyboard warrior ad hominem.

tbh, she probably didn't think about it that much at that moment. I think it's a figure of speech which she uses regularly. Hell I use "Jesus christ" sometimes even though I'm not religious.

Roche

I thought it was an interesting piece of reporting that illustrated a flaw in many peoples thinking about deities in general so I posted it in hope of discussion.

Religious people thank their deities for small mercies in an otherwise potentially cruel world. It's a natural response I would think, especially since many people use Religion as a source of comfort in life.

Nope. Got it pretty clear. What you said is an insult.

The flaw with this is that, presuming we're dealing with an all powerful near if not totally omnipotent being, that he would not maybe take the long view?

What if this lady one day, or one of her descendants that would not exist if she died, does something major to change the world? Cures cancer or solves world hunger or something? Those three people who died have finished that he feels they need to do in this life, and so he lets them move on to the next.

For whatever reason, she feels that God wanted her still alive. Maybe he didn't. Maybe it was all luck and he went "huh" or maybe he doesn't exist and it's all her delusion.

Calling her feelings of relief and thankfulness self important is an incredible insult.

Also there's no reason to think she's being insensitive in the first place unless you're on a crusade against religious people.

In what world is attributing your survival to a all powerful, omnipotent being over the lives of three others not insensitive to the three others? I'm confused.

I'm mocking you because you deserve to be mocked. You are a child, acting smug and self righteous from your chair, not having suffered from anything. Denouncing this woman in some pathetic pseudo-anger.

OHHHHH HE USED CAPITAL LETTERS!

You are acting no less childish. Not that he was in the first place.

Ill apologize to her later tonight

That's the best part.

You aren't saying it to her.

You aren't there as she cries in relief, as she wonders what might have happened.

You're sitting on a chair, far away from her. Distant from what has happened. You feel free to insult her because you don't know her. You'll never hear anything about her again after this. So you're free to say whatever nasty thing you want, she'll never hear it. You'll never have to see the miserable expression that would rise to her face upon hearing such cruel words.

I hope you realize how much of a child you are acting like right now; but since you are obviously unable to identify the simple irony in the original story, regardless of your beliefs, it seems you would be unable to identify the irony in your posts.

That's the best part.

You aren't there as she cries in relief, as she wonders what might have happened.

You're sitting on a chair, far away from her. Distant from what has happened. You feel free to insult her because you don't know her. You'll never hear anything about her again after this. So you're free to say whatever nasty thing you want, she'll never hear it. You'll never have to see the miserable expression that would rise to her face upon hearing such cruel words.

It seems we have very different definitions for the words nasty and cruel.

delta25

Banned
firstly, we dont have the option to change what she believes, so that point is redundant.
We are also entitled to criticize the belief that god had a plan that involved these people dying and this lady living because god loves her. Its twisted.

I might of missed something but I don't see anywhere in that article that mentions anything about her saying that this was all gods plan...

Emitan

That's the best part.

no one on GAF should ever have an opinion

ok

Uchip

Banned
That's the best part.

you really like my chair dont you?
its a nice bean bag so im not surprised

I hope you realize how much of a child you are acting like right now; but since you are obviously unable to identify the simple irony in the original story, regardless of your beliefs, it seems you would be unable to identify the irony in your posts.
It's cute how he calls someone childish and then resorts to making some of the most childish posts you've ever seen on GAF, isn't it?

Dead Man

Religious people thank their deities for small mercies in an otherwise potentially cruel world. It's a natural response I would think, especially since many people use Religion as a source of comfort in life.

Yes, that is the point. Using that to claim god is good is a flaw in reasoning. I am not saying it is uncommon, just that it is not something that should be given a free pass just because it is common. It should not be off limits to dicuss just because it is religious.

Nesotenso

In what world is attributing your survival to a all powerful, omnipotent being over the lives of three others not insensitive to the three others? I'm confused.

Where in the article does she elucidate on the lives lost and her feelings on the matter ? All it mentions are series of circumstances or coincidences that prevented the loss of her life and her loved ones.

Uchip

Banned
I might of missed something but I don't see anywhere in that article that mentions anything about her saying that this was all gods plan...

are you joking? supposedly god talked to her and told her what to do in order to survive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom