• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Floyd Mayweather used WADA-banned IV before Manny Pacquiao fight

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmaine_ph

It has been mentioned that IVs are prohibited because they can mask illegal substances. Hell they said manny was denied on using a IV for a known legal substance so its definitely worth looking into and discussing.
Manny was denied due to a paper work mishap from him and his camp. But I agree I'm always up for a discussion just stating my opinions.

Who the fuck shoots up vitamins and salene lol doesn't he feel a little weird doing that? It would feel like steroids even if it wasnt

It was fairly common for pro athletes to use injections of vitamins and nutrients instead of ingestion. It's immediate compared to waiting.

But, because of steroids and PEDs making national headlines, using IVs are now a near universal no-no.

Tom_Cody

Rehydration through IV is extremely common in boxing. I had no idea that there were rules against it.

Boxers frequently put on 10-20 pounds in the 24 hours from the weigh in to the actual fight and IV's are the best/safest way to do this. This is the first reference I've ever seen to the practice being discouraged or the notion that it could be used for masking PEDs.

mm04

I don't want to see a rematch, but the guy who pushed this fight back until Manny was no longer in his prime because suspicion of alleged drug use goes and does this? How stupid is this guy? Don't answer. I think we all know. He of all people should know the rules as he was so quick to enforce them on his opponent.

Instro

Rehydration through IV is extremely common in boxing. I had no idea that there were rules against it.

Boxers frequently put on 10-20 pounds in the 24 hours from the weigh in to the actual fight and IV's are the best/safest way to do this. This is the first reference I've ever seen to the practice being discouraged or the notion that it could be used for masking PEDs.

Yeah I would have thought IVs for dehydration were legal.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Pretty much every UFC fighter has been doing this too. I remember this coming out like the day after the fight and nothing was really made of it.

nilbog21

Banned
what he's doing is trying to dilute his urine so that there is no detectable levels of illegal substances being excreted in his urine.. Vitamin levels are checked to see if the person is diluting their urine to hide illegal substances. this is why some dopers will take HUGE amounts of vitamins, so that their vitamin levels appear normal once diluted to shit. Vitamin levels are the only way to check if the user is trying to cheat a drug test by diluting

Skeyser

Just shit to hype a rematch. Mayweather cheated, Manny has a chance now!! Then he gets schooled again and they pocket a few hundred mills

Frog-fu

Banned
This is a complete non issue that will probably blow up over the next week mostly due to salty Pacman fans and Mayweather haters, so about 90% of boxing casuals.

Tom_Cody

But you could also just drink water earlier... And not do the illegal and totally shady thing.
It is specifically done in boxing after weigh-ins. Boxers cut 10-20 pounds of water for the weigh-in and then put it back in the next 24 hours before the fight.

So realistically what does this mean? Is it just a slap on the wrist or serious shit can go down?

Hard to say really. Was it illegal? Yes, was it a PED or banned substance found? No. Also will the reasoning behind the IV be a legit excuse that just isn't public knowledge at the moment? Personally I think it'll just be a slap on wrist fine and going forward USADA will not be able to give waivers within the state.

Frog-fu

Banned
Mayweather too smart to use PEDs. When he fights dirty it's in the ring and often under the nose of the referee. It's little things like body shots to the hips, leaning on the necks of ducking opponents, covering their faces with the palm of his gloves and, the most notorious examples, striking opponents when they're looking to the referee (Gatti) or are dealing with some other distraction (Ortiz) - all under the excuse of "protect yourself at all times." It's all within the accepted degree of dirt in boxing and doesn't classify as cheating, but it's low. Very few boxers are 100% clean fighters.

No Rhonda Rousey comments yet ?

If this goes viral then you can bet your house on it, lol.

So realistically what does this mean? Is it just a slap on the wrist or serious shit can go down?

Slap on the wrist.

Mayweather's camp can reasonably plead ignorance I would think and the fallout simply wouldn't be worth it over such a non issue. The world may hate Mayweather but boxing loves him.

Alexlf

I mean, it's pretty clear that it obviously wouldn't have the same effects or that's what he'd have done. No one takes an IV for fun.

Ya, it's not exactly the same. The point is it allows the stuff to take effect instantly versus having to wait for digestion. The covering up illegal PED thing is a bit worrying though, but I'd just keep an eye on the guy. You can't just stop taking PEDs without any effects, so if he is doping it'll be easy to discover.

Vitamin injections/IVs are a lot more effective than taking a pill.

They can potentially allow you to mask the actual use of PEDs, is the real reason for concern. Between that, and the fact that they can actually design a "boutique" PED just for you that has an undetectable (or nearly undetectable) profile.

I'm not in for a rematch, though. I was scammed out of my $100 from both sides. I'll just spend my time hoping for more Broner losses at this rate. The MayPac ship has sailed.

They can potentially allow you to mask the actual use of PEDs, is the real reason for concern. Between that, and the fact that they can actually design a "boutique" PED just for you that has an undetectable (or nearly undetectable) profile.

I'm not in for a rematch, though. I was scammed out of my $100 from both sides. I'll just spend my time hoping for more Broner losses at this rate. The MayPac ship has sailed.

Seems like you'll get your money's worth with more Broner losses lmao

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom