• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Foo Fighters are back - New album Spring 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
CaptYamato said:
I'll join you.

166368_490914092277_508372277_5685497_1320231_n.jpg

WJD

After a couple of listens here is how I'd rank the tracks so far:

I Should Have Known
Dear Rosemary
Walk
These Days
Bridge Burning
Arlandria
White Limo
Rope
Back & Forth
A Matter of Time
Miss the Misery

Though I'm sure that'll change after more listens.

As for albums I'd say it slots in between TINLTL and FF

Like so...

The Colour and the Shape
There is Nothing Left to Lose
Wasting Light
Foo Fighters
Echoes, Silence, Patience & Grace
In Your Honour
One By One

Which is also subject to change obviously.

I like lists

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
White Limo is absolutely epic. This album owns.

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO LIMOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

\m/>_<\m/

WHOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

Grohl can scream into my heart anytime. :)

White Limo is out-of-place, inconsistent with the rest of the album and feels about 10 years older than the rest of the album.

But god DAMN, is it awesome. So is the album as a whole really- very reminiscent of Left to Lose but that's certainly no bad thing. Tough to rank the songs, because they're mostly on the same level of quality.

Basically, holy shit guys, one of the old guard of rock actually came through on their promises. What the FUCK.

TeegsD

I LOVE this album. I like every song soo much. Still on i Should Have Known and it just sounds great. Got one more song coming up but so far it's been a great ride. But I do agree that White Limo feels a bit out of place but I still like it. Kudos to you Dave Grohl

WJD

All talented bands need to record on tape. The difference in quality is right there. It's like listening to an incredibly tight live performance and it's fucking awesome.

Bridge Burning may be creeping up my list too. That second verse blows my shit away.

AlphaSnake

Wow, that documentary looks awesome.

And yep, this album is definitely going on the repeat loop for many months.

Dave Grohl has never disappointed me. The Foo Fighters will always remain my favorite band of all time and Grohl will remain my hero and biggest musical inspiration. I idolize the guy. :)

Tijnisch

Neo Member
Oh man, I can't believe how exhilarating Bridge Burning is.
A Dutch radio host even thought it might end up as their most popular song ever.

What would you guys consider to be the best song of the album?

Tijnisch said:
A Dutch radio host even thought it might end up as their most popular song ever.

Probably Bridge Burning, although Back and Forth is REALLY catchy. That chorus is some good shit.

WJD

Tijnisch said:

I Should Have Known, for sure.

One of Dave's best vocal performances and an all round well written song. Plus Novoselic

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Yeah, I'm really loving Bridge Burning. The opening bit is great, but I think the thing I like the most, is that little down note during the chorus. Just hits the right spot.

AlphaSnake

Lonestar said:
Yeah, I'm really loving Bridge Burning. The opening bit is great, but I think the thing I like the most, is that little down note during the chorus. Just hits the right spot.

Yep. I just played this on the guitar by ear, and I totally smash that down-step. It really does feel awesome.

Grohl knows how to write a song, man.

As a long time Foo fan, this album pleases me greatly. Been a while since I haven't felt the urge to skip a song or two on a Foo album.

Tijnisch said:

bridge burning is definitely a good song but their most popular song ever? lolol leave it to the dutch to get carried away!

Randy5554

Anyone else get a Them Crooked Vultures vibe from the very beginning part of Arlandria?

As people are saying, the album is very consistent. The only songs I'm not sure about yet are Back & Forth and A Matter of Time.

listened to the album once through on the facebook post. pretty good. i like rope and white limo a lot. couple medicore songs but they may grow on me in time. hurry up april 15th!

them crooked vultures was possibly the album of the decade for me. dave grohl has proven he is a timeless musician, whether it is with nirvana, queens, tcv, or whatever

AlphaSnake

God. Such a beautiful album. My iTunes log already says I've listened to it 11 times (going for 12 now)...and that's just on my PC. Have it in both my cars too.

Can't wait to support Grohl and co. and buy the actual thing next week.

Zeal

Banned
love this band, but Wheels left the worst taste in my mouth ever. i don't even know what band that was.

Zeal said:
love this band, but Wheels left the worst taste in my mouth ever. i don't even know what band that was.

If Wheels is a bad starter, Wasting Light is the most awesome main course and dessert EVER.

AlphaSnake

Zeal said:

Historically, new songs for compilation albums have NEVER been good. They're usually table scraps lying around that the band is forced to put together.

snesfreak

Banned
Just ordered from Amazon, got a new copy of the first album too cause all I had was the cassette version I bought in 95 and I wore it out years ago.

DaNcaKe

Not sure if it's "OMG NEW ALBUM"-syndrome playing a part in this, but I think this could be some of the Foo's finest pieces of work.

All the tracks are solid and Burning Bridges is a great album opener too. I've read that other people think that White Limo sort of feels out of place and I'd have to agree with that, but I still love it. Vocals on I Should Have Known is Grohl at his best.

Wasting Light also sort of makes me realise how poor their last album was in comparison to their previous work. It's still a good album on it's own, but relative to the rest of their work it really is underpar IMO.

Looking forward to the covers album, "Medium Rare", next.

chris121580

Tijnisch said:

Such a tough choice but right now I'm leaning towards "Arlandria"

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
It's really hard to decide "which is the weakest song on the album."

I just know it's not Burning Bridges, Rope, White Limo, Back and Forth, A Matter of Time, I Should Have Known, and Walk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom