• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Footage of US military's laser weapon (LaWS) killing the shit out of two test targets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Protein

Banned
http://news.yahoo.com/watch-u-navy-laser-weapon-two-ships-video-173218470.html

The U.S. Navy announced Wednesday that a new laser weapon deployed into Persian Gulf earlier this year performed seamlessly during testing that wrapped up in November, and declared the weapon a success.

Deployed for the first time aboard the U.S.S. Ponce in September, the Office of Naval Research released a video Wednesday of the LaWS (laser weapon system) taking out two test targets.

“Laser weapons are powerful, affordable and will play a vital role in the future of naval combat operations,” Rear Adm. Matthew L. Klunder, chief of naval research, said in a statement Wednesday. “We ran this particular weapon, a prototype, through some extremely tough paces, and it locked on and destroyed the targets we designated with near-instantaneous lethality.”

The laser performed flawlessly through a range of adverse weather conditions and took out moving targets both at sea and in the air, including small boats and unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs). Operated via a “video-game like controller,” the system is designed to go from non-lethal to lethal output to stun or destroy “asymmetrical threats” like small ships and UAVs.

At less than a dollar per shot, the cost-efficient 30-kilowatt weapon is the first of larger 100 and 150-kilowatt weapons to be deployed aboard later ships.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0DbgNju2wE&list=PLI5XlTgRxSsF9yNBRFDxv24lNo0Knh5DF

ib2A8BqHPGqHTH.gif

Soldier 1: Hold your fire, there's no lifeforms aboard.
Soldier 2: Hold your fire? What, are we paying by the laser now?
Soldier 1: You don't do the budget Terry, I do. And it's $1 per shot.

#BlueHarvestwasright

Are they controlling it with a PS4 controller?

You really want the world's finest controlling a deadly superweapon with dual analog and no aim assist? SMH

Crisco

Banned
So what's stopping us from mounting this thing on a satellite and using it to kill Justin Bie.....errr, terrorists?

I WILL SHOOT A PIG BUT I WILL NOT SHOOT A PRAWN

Just wanted to post that before I even read the OP or watch the vid. Hope I won't get disappointed!

akira28

Wooo more ways to kill humans.

well the thought is that this could disable a vehicle, without the need of blowing it up with a missile and killing everyone in it. But...if you absolutely needed to blow up everyone, this could do that too. Coincidentally. It's just a tool really. A precise directed energy tool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom