• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Footage of US military's laser weapon (LaWS) killing the shit out of two test targets

Status
Not open for further replies.

KHarvey16

Wooo more ways to kill humans.

Actually it looked like they were testing it in ways that demonstrate the avoidance of killing humans. It targeted a single device on the boat, which could potentially be a weapon. Being able to target the device posing the threat is a nice change from blowing up the entire thing.

Volimar

Actually it looked like they were testing it in ways that demonstrate the avoidance of killing humans. It targeted a single device on the boat, which could potentially be a weapon. Being able to target the device posing the threat is a nice change from blowing up the entire thing.

Target the enemy ship's engines Lt. Worf.

akira28

I'm calling bullshit. They've had laser weapons on satellites in space for decades. Space lasers yo.

We've had all sorts of energy weapons since the 60s. but...this one is cheap, made with commercial parts, and installed on a boat. Not in some secret lab somewhere, hiding from the UN and the US Senate.

Energy weapons might just become mainstream.

Protein

Banned
I'd like for the military to use these to laser-beam a single individual rather than drop a bomb on the entire building he's in.

I wonder what the distance is and if it's limits are due to the power or the parabolic nature of the earths surface. When do we bring the Star Wars program back and bring hellfire down from the sky with pin point accuracy?

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
We've had all sorts of energy weapons since the 60s. but...this one is cheap, made with commercial parts, and installed on a boat. Not in some secret lab somewhere, hiding from the UN and the US Senate.

We'll be more prepared for aliens this way.

Crisco

Banned
I think the best part is how it looks absolutely nothing like fictional laser weapons. No visible beam, no pew pew, not even an aftermath that looks like a precision cut. It's more like an invisible bullet than anything else.

Rheinmetall tested some laser technology for a couple of years now. Stationary lasers but also mobile lasers.

HEL_Bildleiste_Mobile_HEL_Effectors.jpg

From left to right: 5kW HEL-Effektor „Mobile HEL Effector Wheel XX“, 1kW-HEL-Effektor „Mobile HEL Effector Track V", 20kW-HEL-Effektor „Mobile HEL Effector Container L"

Pew pew:
rheinmetall-lasercontainer-pick-up.jpg

Destroying ammo without killing anyone

In several tests the lasers also destroyed barbwire blockades and mines. So, it's not always about killing people.

akira28

We'll be more prepared for aliens this way.

hardly. they're smart enough to shoot at the big chemical power sources with their own military lasers.

Love is our only hope. Love and being so good in sex with the aliens that they decide to uplift us to their level of civilization.

Gotchaye

No gravity drop, spin, or wind to make it go off course. Just dead straight.

How does this hold up to mirrors though?

Reasonably well, probably. Just about any realistic surface is going to absorb at least 10% of the energy in the laser, say, because no matter how good of an infrared mirror you're manufacturing you're going to have a hell of a time keeping it perfectly clean.

Thaedolus

Reasonably well, probably. Just about any realistic surface is going to absorb at least 10% of the energy in the laser, say, because no matter how good of an infrared mirror you're manufacturing you're going to have a hell of a time keeping it perfectly clean.

What about reflecting it back toward the source? Say you have a mirror that tracks the source ship?

EDIT - I just realized that could be a pretty dumb question as the beam would likely scatter...right?

Phoenix

They've never really been hiding them. The issue has always been the power source. HELSTAF has been showing this for a long time, and we had THEL for a while too. Israel has been pretty far ahead of the game in this and has laser based defense systems as part of their Iron Dome for a while now.

Phoenix

I'd like for the military to use these to laser-beam a single individual rather than drop a bomb on the entire building he's in.

That's coming sooner than you think. The problem has been more with getting a tactical laser of sufficient power on something that can be fielded in a tactical manner against an individual. As the power problem gets solved (and now that they are testing in tank form factors we're getting close), you're more likely to see specific hits against individuals. Right now you just wouldn't have anything with the sensors that would mark an individual (i.e. aircraft) with the sufficient power for the laser.

But once that happens, you'll see more targeted strikes against a single person or small group. However from a war-fighting perspective - its rare that a target that you want to hit is just hanging out by himself so you're still likely to use some sort of munition to kill that target and the 'opportunity' targets that are around him.

Nikodemos

My immediate thoughts after seeing the video:

1. They need to rugggedize the device and its mounting.

2. Hopefully this brings back the Nuclear Navy. USS Long Beach FT-MF-W!

Laekon

Can anyone figure out what it's shot on the flying drone?On the drone boats it hit exposed warheads but there is no close up on the flying one. Can it actually kill a vehicle that doesn't have some type of exposed explosive? Are we going to have two laser equipped warships circling each other trying to blind anyone that isn't wearing their protective goggles?

Also link any 360 no scope kill videos in resume

"So I see here you have an 'OGKEGSTER22' as a reference known for six years, with 'donging on bad kids' under experience. Can you clarify?"

"Oh, y'know, shitting on scrubs, grabbing rockets top mid and telling the other team to get rekt. ayy lmao"

ink4n3

What controller is this? Looks like a modded PS3

8VoyQBW.png
It's a ruggedized hand controller based on game controllers. I haven't used that exact model but several just like it. They work well but are extremely expensive.

I work on several projects that use a mix of military grade controllers to xbox controllers. The sailors usually prefer the xbox controllers but it doesn't come with the precision that the ruggedized controllers offer. I also prefer the xbox controller because it's easy for them to replace when they break.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom