• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Newly commissioned warship USS Zumwalt's guns have no ammunition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Breads

Banned
I used to work for a defense contractor.
We would basically charge a 200-400% markup on everything we sold to the government. It's gross.
Reminds me of this.
Reminds me of the Bombcast email wherein an insider listed the government contract prices for everyday items. If I'm remembering correctly, a manufacturer listed wingnuts for $500 each.
There was more to it but I'm having trouble finding the clip right now though ironically enough google did lead me to a post on Neogaf!

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Umm... What about those rounds makes them cost 800 grand each? For that price, you'd think they're firing miniature cruise missiles with each bullet.

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
Umm... What about those rounds makes them cost 800 grand each? For that price, you'd think they're firing miniature cruise missiles with each bullet.
It's what the contractor decided to charge the Navy, which is why SecNav is like, no fucking way and we are exploring alternate 155mm munitions.

Also, the thread title and article are misleading. The smart rounds are what we are no longer purchasing. The 155mm standard ballistic rounds as well as the BL&P, HE-CVT, Frag and illum rounds, traditional dumb rounds are all still in use.

Full disclosure: Im an active duty E6 L310 in the US Navy.

Hari Seldon

It is being called ammunition but being that they are satellite guided they are more like missiles in reality. Sounds like the Navy wanted something for situations where a Tomahawk is massive overkill. 800k seems about right for what this is.

We had WWII battleships filling this role previously, so I don't understand why it's so difficult to design a replacement.
Modern artillery up front. 6 or 8 inch with AP and HC shells. VLS cells in the back. Phalanx or (preferably) SeaRAM CIWS. Small caliber secondary guns to defend against small, fast moving attack boats. Armor belt instead of expensive stealth tech.
A modern heavy cruiser.

Irnbru

We would basically charge a 200-400% markup on everything we sold to the government. It's gross.

No you didn't unless it was under TINA and considered commercial.

Also, scales of economy is a helluva thing.

NH Apache

Banned
Rail guns were always the future for this rig, even going back to the early naughts. This is specifically why the power plant is oversized.

There was a question about when we decided to go future. In high school, I interned at Bath Iron works....The design was in final stages in Spring of 2001. It was hot shit then.

Fularu

Banned
ddg1000-02.jpg

Since nobody likes to put images in ops anymore. :)

Looks like a Jaguar game

FyreWulff

We had WWII battleships filling this role previously, so I don't understand why it's so difficult to design a replacement.
Modern artillery up front. 6 or 8 inch with AP and HC shells. VLS cells in the back. Phalanx or (preferably) SeaRAM CIWS. Small caliber secondary guns to defend against small, fast moving attack boats. Armor belt instead of expensive stealth tech.
A modern heavy cruiser.

Layers of bureaucrats + the ability to hide budgets in a big ol CLASSIFIED filing cabinet + Congress wanting to pork out and make every state be involved in the building of everything and wrap it in a Military Industrial Complex tortilla

A big lesson here is that cutting production runs doesn't always save that much money. The military in general has way to many projects, that then get their production runs cut to save money, but then this causes unit costs to explode, so in the end the military is left with a couple of each vehicle that are way over budget and yet under equipped.

ddg1000-02.jpg

Since nobody likes to put images in ops anymore. :)

A ship which looks good but can't perform the duties of ships that cost 4 times less is useless and the continued troubles with this ship highlights the problem with the US's defense industry. Corruption, cost overruns and an idea that you must always build on the cutting edge regardless of cost. At a cost of 4 billion a ship and 7 billion when R&D is factored in you begin to see just how much of a waste of money this whole ship is.

Furyous

This thread got me interested in our GDP expenditure on the military. US GDP is $17.947 trillion. We spent 3.3 percent or $592.25 billion of this on the military. Imagine what would happen if we got that number down to 2.4 percent or $431 billion.

Anywhoo this ship seems wasteful as fuck. SMH at spending all this money on $800,000 per round.

Woorloog

Banned
As noted before, economics of scale boosted the price to 10 times as much as they should be. 80k for a smart round sounds reasonable (as opposed to firing a full 1.5 million cruise missile something). But with the reduction in Zumwalt class orders, the price per unit went up.

(This is ignoring mark-ups etc.)

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Shitty article. The gun still has ammo it can use, just not the fancy fuck guided shells.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
The problem it needs that ammunition to get a useful range for land attack missions.

Yes but the impression people seem to have is that it's now just a big empty gun that leaves the ship defenseless. It isn't, it can still fuck some shit up if need be.

Layers of bureaucrats + the ability to hide budgets in a big ol CLASSIFIED filing cabinet + Congress wanting to pork out and make every state be involved in the building of everything and wrap it in a Military Industrial Complex tortilla
Oh definitely. I'm sure plenty of members of congress receive generous "donations" from defense contractors. Why else would they approve all of these expensive and often untested tech projects.

jason10mm

Gold Member

To be fair most EVERYTHING has a 2-4x price increase by the time it hits retail. Every see what an iPhone costs apple versus what it costs you? Defense contractors make money like every other business.

antonz

A modern heavy cruiser.

That basically is what the Zumwalt is. 2 6.1" guns, 2 1.2" and 80 Missile launch cells. Like I said the Navy has been in bad shape for sometime when it comes to competent people running its design board etc. It is argued Armor is useless in the age of missiles and while that is true to some extent I would much rather be sitting behind 12" of steel armor than 3" of aluminum.

Politics and Naval Command play large factors in things. Just like how Carriers at one time were viewed as a interesting concept but not that important by Battleship Admirals now we have nothing but Carrier Admirals saying how useless everything else is.

That basically is what the Zumwalt is. 2 6.1" guns, 2 1.2" and 80 Missile launch cells. Like I said the Navy has been in bad shape for sometime when it comes to competent people running its design board etc. It is argued Armor is useless in the age of missiles and while that is true to some extent I would much rather be sitting behind 12" of steel armor than 3" of aluminum.

Politics and Naval Command play large factors in things. Just like how Carriers at one time were viewed as a interesting concept but not that important by Battleship Admirals now we have nothing but Carrier Admirals saying how useless everything else is.

I was thinking something more along the lines of the USS Boston. A Baltimore-class heavy cruiser with the rear turret replaced with missiles.
My biggest gripe with the Zumwalt is that she sacrifices secondary weapons for a small radar cross section. No CIWS means more of her limited VLS cells have to carry sea sparrow missiles instead of cruise missiles.

You're right about navy politics though.
Nevada and Pensacola come to mind when I think about the constant infighting between admirals over designs.

mkenyon

Banned
Are these just designed to siphon money from taxpayers? 800k per round? What were they thinking?
The Military Industrial Complex is basically a continued legacy of Keynesian policies from the Roosevelt Era.

800k spent, but to hire W people and to give X company Y profits, which then employs Z # of people.

Octavia

Unconfirmed Member
Is there literally any point to this thing? We can't enter any major conflicts because of MAD. Drones and HA-air seem like a cheaper/better approach for counter terrorism.

When is this ever going to be used?

Nikodemos

When is this ever going to be used?
Probably never. It has too many compromises. Even if they replace the turrets with railguns at some point, it will still have many other shortcomings, like poor close-in defences and limited attack capability outside the (rail)guns. .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom