• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football |OT8| Gambling

GorillaJu

Every year is the same. Getting sick of this manager merry-go-round. Give him a chance, back him.

The price has been paid for relying solely on Torres up front and whose fault is that? Abramovich.

Abramovich allows himself too much control at the club, IMO. It's great that he really loves football and he plays a part in bringing in new players and keeping them happy when they're in, but he should probably take a step back and leave more to the manager.

I think City has done the right thing appointing a new technical director. The owners have assloads of money and while they never had a Mourinho, they're being more prudent with how they spend the cash.

Requeim

ib0f4dgqtdtn86ggp3e.gif

Lol i'm glad someone made a gif, made me laugh during the match. Can be used for many situations i feel

Oxx

It's not as if losing to Juve in Turin was such an unforeseen scenario. Was it the manner of the defeat? Was it playing no strikers? Or has Roman just been looking for an excuse to can RDM ever since the CL Final?

It's not as if losing to Juve in Turin was such an unforeseen scenario. Was it the manner of the defeat? Was it playing no strikers? Or has Roman just been looking for an excuse to can RDM ever since the CL Final?

Well he better have something good planned and not suddenly present Avram Grant for 6 months until Pep wants to come back to football.

sohois

Thing is, their current choice of manager is basically irrelevant. Di Matteo, even with his limitations, was comfortably on course for top 4 again, certainly I can't imagine the limp challenges of the likes of Arsenal, Tottenham, Liverpool, etc. being any threat there. So it is difficult to see the caretaker failing to accomplish that minimum.

Meanwhile, whoever comes in will surely be gone at the end of the year anyways.

PJX

People, including myself, often criticize the club for this constant changing of managers.

But since Roman's takeover we have won...

04/05: Premier League, League Cup
05/06: Premier League, Community Shield
06/07: F.A. Cup, League Cup
08/09: F.A. Cup
09/10: Premier League, F.A. Cup, Community Shield
11/12: F.A. Cup, Champions League

We've also been runners up in any amount of those competitions.

This says a few things to me. Either most managers are overrated - witnessed by the likes of AVB coming off the back of his Porto career or RDMs season after winning the UCL - and a bunch of expensive and talented players only need to be unleashed on to the field. Or Roman just knows when it's time for a change up.

I Should imagine it's neither of those things, but whatever it is, strangely it's working. I'd rather keep a manager for a while but still...

I assume Steve Holland will be in place in the interim.

Remove the rose tinted glasses.

Zabojnik

Awesome Großkreutz story:

Großkreutz was in Glasgow last December and went to a Celtic pub filled with 500 Celtic fans to watch the match versus Rangers. They recognized him and celebrated him. On the next day, the showed him the town and exchanged numbers. He's still in contact with the Celtic fans and they want him to play for Celtic :D

Haha, awesome story! However he was probably wearing his own jersey, that's how they recognized him.
Joking. GROOOOOSSSSSSKREEEEEEEUTZZZZZZZZ!!!!

*nods*

Rapid changing of managers is not the only way to get success. Just look at united. Your cheque book brings you trophies not changing managers every season
You'll notice I subtly referenced the chequebook, "...and a bunch of expensive and talented players..."

However, I did clearly state it was hardly to be either of things I mentioned. But, whilst we're at it. United is hardly a great example, their an anomaly if anything. Because we only need to look at the other long term manager of the PL, Wenger, to see how successful long term management can be...

Fady K

SO angry right now. I don't care if he did not help the team get to the second round of the Champions League - he may still have taken them there if Juve lost to Shakhtar! His team is freakin' four points behind the top spot in the league. His team is still in the small Capital One Cup, and there is still the FA Cup to fight for. Chelsea's damn strikers can't do shit with the ball. Damn it! I love Chelsea with all my heart but Mourinho and Guardiola don't deserve a position where they may end up being treated like shit.

Damn it!

*Keeping this avatar for ages in his honor. Thank you for everything Robbie.

SO angry right now. I don't care if he did not help the team get to the second round of the Champions League - he may still have taken them there if Juve lost to Shakhtar! His team is freakin' four points behind the top spot in the league. His team is still in the small Capital One Cup, and there is still the FA Cup to fight for. Chelsea's damn strikers can't do shit with the ball. Damn it! I love Chelsea with all my heart but Mourinho and Guardiola don't deserve a position where they may end up being treated like shit.

Damn it!

image.php

ShogunX

Bit of a disgrace sacking RDM this early on but at the same time I like to think that everyone's favorite Uruguayan contributed slightly to this as did the man he replaced.

As for Benitez he's one of the best tacticians around yet is still looked down upon mainly to to media bullshit and working in ridiculous conditions.

Not surprised at all. It never looked like Abramovich wanted to keep RDM to me, winning the CL and no Guardiola available kept him in charge. Abramovich couldn't fire him in that situation but he took the first best chance which was today.

WOW! Just saw the Shaktar goal... Did they let the other team score a goal or not after Adriano scored his?!

They did not. Like the first 6 players let them them walk through to get a goal, but some cunt then went up and got the ball.

News was trying to get a comment from Adriano this morning in the airport but he refused to say anything, instead he (seriously) stood in the middle of the airport like he was hibernating or something. :lol

Our league form under RDM last season was poor. This season we started badly with embarrassing defeats to Atletico and City in the Super Cup and Community Shield respectively. The league games we won between those two and right up until our form dipped after the United game was to be expected. There wasn't any of those teams we shouldn't have beat. Maybe with the exception of Arsenal and Spurs, but their league position tells you all you need to know about them. United game was unfortunate though.

We played United again in the League Cup, but they had a worse side than us out and we really struggled to beat them.

Our Champions League form has been poor. Defeated by Shakhtar, no shame in that, but it was comfortable for them. Tossed a 2-0 lead against Juve away. Only managed to beat out Shakhtar with a stroke of last minute luck. Finally slapped about by Juve and are unlikely to qualify.

The fact RDM won the Champions League meant he had to get a shot. But nearly everybody could see that it was as much the players, the old guards doing. I let myself believe after our decent start to league that RDM maybe did have it. But had to rethink that with each successive result.

Edit: my only gripe with his sacking - as I genuinely liked his character and hoped he could do the job - is who can we get that's better? That's not to say he was great, clearly, but we burn through managers. Who's left?

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Holy shit that was quick to get rid of him

It was inevitable, he wasn't a good enough manager for West Brom. A CL victory where their opponents had 40+ shots at goal and only scored once, was never going to convince Roman. Cech and Drogba won the CL, not RDM.

Lightning

Banned
You'll notice I subtly referenced the chequebook, "...and a bunch of expensive and talented players..."

However, I did clearly state it was hardly to be either of things I mentioned. But, whilst we're at it. United is hardly a great example, their an anomaly if anything. Because we only need to look at the other long term manager of the PL, Wenger, to see how successful long term management can be...
Wenger could be fired tomorrow and we will be worse for it because the board are to blame for our current situation trophy wise not Wenger.

We've always been that 1-2 high quality players away and our club refuses to pay our top players the wages they deserve to keep them so we stay 1-2 high quality players away from being top contenders.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
After watching Shakhtar's highlights, I kinda understand why Adriano scored.

One of the Danes dived holding his face after being pushed slightly by Adriano. Still though..

Oxx

I have been impressed with what I have seen of Chelsea this year. I guess the 'lol Torres can't shoot' meme might have distracted from deeper problems with the team.

Or I was just hypnotised by Mata/Oscar/Hazard being silky.

deGod

It was inevitable, he wasn't a good enough manager for West Brom. A CL victory where their opponents had 40+ shots at goal and only scored once, was never going to convince Roman. Cech and Drogba won the CL, not RDM.

Well it is easy to win it when ya park the bus in the campions league and have the pace in Torres and mata. And now hazard and Oscar and rameries. Maybe he should have parked the bus in every match

Well it is easy to win it when ya park the bus in the campions league and have the pace in Torres and mata. And now hazard and Oscar and rameries. Maybe he should have parked the bus in every match

Yeah that's extremely easy... Especially when having Torres who sure did win CL for Chelsea, with his amazing pace.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
The most impressive feat Chelsea pulled was beating/surviving Bayern with half the team injured and suspended. Regardless of tactics.
He got an shoulder directly into his chin...

Really? I stand corrected then. It looked like a dive on Youtube. :p

Fady K

Who the hell will Abramovich get now? Mourinho is out of the equation, and if he ever (a very big if) gets Pep and ends up firing him, who else can he get? Ridiculous.

Top Bottom