• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football |OT8| Gambling

Really nervous about tomorrow which is amazing to say we are playing Peterborough away

It says a lot though about the change of feeling, Berg hasn't won a game yet but the fans really care again

Wilbur

Banned

Mitt-Romney-Laughing.gif

Great player. But that went too far. Steven Gerrard's birth being compared to waterfalls and pyramids bwahahahah

[IM]http://i.imgur.com/MiikC.gif[/IMG]

Fuck I laughed hard. Fucking hell hahahah thank you for this. I haven't seen Black Dynamite in a while, gonna watch soon.

I'm still laughing.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
I can't decide if Marchisio is more Gerrard or Lampard? Either way, it's worrying looking at their 30+ form.
Incredible. Imagine if Ryan Giggs got divorced and his wife took half of everything. She'd have 6 (?) Premier League medals moer than Stevie G.

Ryan Giggs has more Premier League medals than the entire Man City XI combined.

Clegg

I remember a United match from 2003 or 2004. Gerrard was beginning his ascent and Keane was now in his 30's and beginning to decline as a player.

In the pre-match build-up Sky were talking about this match as Gerrard's coronation. He would take the crown of best midfielder from Keane and then go on his way to world domination.

Keane made Gerrard his bitch that game and Sky didn't even mention Gerrard in their post match analysis.

Wilbur

Banned
Really nervous about tomorrow which is amazing to say we are playing Peterborough away

It says a lot though about the change of feeling, Berg hasn't won a game yet but the fans really care again

Good shit man. Hope he does well considering his United background as well.

I can't decide if Marchisio is more Gerrard or Lampard? Either way, it's worrying looking at their 30+ form.

Lampard I'd say, Vidal is the more Gerrard of the two

dc89

Probably does! Giggs is a machine!

I think Clichy has the most PL medals in the City squad. He has two!

Arnie

Well, just like you made a fool out of yourself by claiming the 'ode to Steven Gerrard' was written by one of RAWK's members (I'll put that down to United GAF's general and blinding obsession with that place), and not Kristian Walsh, a brilliant writer for ESPN, one day you might realise the truth and accept that Keane isn't close to Gerrard's brilliance.

Keane was an Irish boy done good at your cherished club, I don't blame you for the opinion.

Wilbur

Banned
Gerrard became a better player than Keane ever was.

Get that in your head.

Probably. I do think Keane was massively underrated as a player because his personality - willpower, determination, leadership - was cited so much that his actual ability wasn't, but Gerrard was the better player ability wise.

If Gerrard had played for the United of the early 2000's or Chelsea of the later years he'd have been the best midfielder in the world undoubtedly; standing out in average Liverpool sides hindered his career unfortunately. Massive respect to him staying, especially considering the chances he's had to leave.

Clegg

Well, just like you made a fool out of yourself by claiming the 'ode to Steven Gerrard' was written by one of RAWK's members (I'll put that down to United GAF's general and blinding obsession with that place), and not Kristian Walsh, a brilliant writer for ESPN, one day you might realise the truth and accept that Keane isn't close to Gerrard's brilliance.

That article was pure bollocks though. The rest of it is ok but that paragraph renders the entire thing farcical.

Gerrard was a brilliant player. Dragged Liverpool by himself until Torres and Alonso came along.

Still don't think he was as good as Keane.

Fry

Seriously though.

What do you think?

I put Gerrard on his prime above almost every other midfielder. He was better than Schweinsteiger is now; but both are very valuable to their team, and that is very important.

Gerrard was at his best when behind the striker, anyway, that's not where Schweinsteiger plays and not where Gerrard plays anymore.

dc89

Keane Vs Gerrard. Irrelevant, and Stevie G would be ashamed to be compared to Keane.

He'd want to be compared to The Assassin. The greatest English midfielder of his generation! :p

That little snippet Clegg posted is just cringe tbh. Doesn't matter who wrote it. That's what happens when you write about something and get carried away I guess.

Good shit man. Hope he does well considering his United background as well.

Lampard I'd say, Vidal is the more Gerrard of the two

Just nice to have a feeling of unity at the club and having a manager I can actually route for

It may end in tears but under Kean even winning was tainted

Arnie

That article was pure bollocks though.

It was a purely fluffy article on Gerrard's career, meant to relate his overall brilliance (and importance to Liverpool supporters) in 500 words or so. You're taking it way too literally, and trying to draw some ultimate meaning that doesn't really exist. It's actually pretty good writing, to be honest.

As you said, Gerrard dragged Liverpool along on his own, when he could've gone elsewhere and won countless trophies and accolades. For people like me, and the writer of that article, Gerrard is as priceless and indescribable as a mountain range, or a waterfall. Sure, it might sound silly and stroke all your ':lol RAWK' senses, but it's true.

Fry

It would be nice if Gerrard was to be put behind Suarez now that Lucas is back. He isn't a good CM anymore.

Ah just thinking about Keane gets me misty eyed.

What a player. If only we had a player like him today, I would have zero doubt that we'd be Champions come May. With the aid of hindsight, I wouldn't swap Keane for anybody, not even Zidane. His character and the way he went about things just underpinned everything that made United successful through the 90's and early 00's.

I just don't get how Fergie built his team around somebody like Keane and gave him such importance...and is now, seemingly, so flippant towards getting a similar player.

Arnie

It would be nice if Gerrard was to be put behind Suarez now that Lucas is back. He isn't a good CM anymore.

It really would.

He's good for England at centre midfield, but that's a different challenge altogether considering what Roy demands from his team.

kharma45

What a player. If only we had a player like him today, I would have zero doubt that we'd be Champions come May. With the aid of hindsight, I wouldn't swap Keane for anybody, not even Zidane. His character and the way he went about things just underpinned everything that made United successful through the 90's and early 00's.

I just don't get how Fergie built his team around somebody like Keane and gave him such importance...and is now, seemingly, so flippant towards getting a similar player.

Yeah we lack a real leader on the pitch who can really drag a team with him like Keane could.

We've never properly replaced him as a captain never mind as a player.

Clegg

Imo Keane became bigger then the club. He was the icon and the rest of the players looked to him for inspiration. Then he had his interview on MUTV when he rightfully criticised some of the younger players for their flippant attitude.

Fergie couldn't allow that to happen as it would undermine his authority and the equilibrium of the squad. I think SAF admired Keane and was badly burned by that situation.

Wilbur

Banned

Miss him more than Ronaldo, Beckham, Schmeichal, van der Saar, Ruud... We wouldn't have fucked up like we did at the back end of last season if he was in the middle.

Honestly, what I'd give to have him back. Thinking about him now and I'm almost choking up a little, I can feel it in my throat. He's as breathtakingly beautiful as the Iguazu waterfalls, or the structure of the Acropolis.

I remember a story when Keano had a go at Fletcher because he was checking his text messages in the changing rooms at the training ground.

We need him to do the same now, but this time have a go at Anderson when he picks up ten pieces of chicken instead of one in the canteen.

Wilbur

Banned
I remember a story when Keano had a go at Fletcher because he was checking his text messages in the changing rooms at the training ground.

We need him to do the same now, but this time have a go at Anderson when he picks up ten pieces of chicken instead of one in the canteen.

SuperTom vs Keano

u decide

kharma45

Imagine what he'd have done to Nani by this stage.

Clegg

I'd rather not let Keane loose on Anderson.

He'd scare him out of the club.

Wilbur

Banned
At least I pit Keane against another human being, and not the freakin' Pyramids.

:lol :lol :lol

It's because of what you said though. The identity of Ferguson's United - never say die, comeback kings, that unrelenting spirit - is personified through two people in my eyes; Fergus himself and Keane. He's number two in the reasons we've won everything going for 20 years now for me.

Gonna go watch the Juve match again.

Arnie

At least I pit Keane against another human being, and not the freakin' Pyramids.

Zidane's more than simply a human, he's more than pyramids, he's the best football player of the last 20 years. You've made an apples to apples comparison which just makes the whole thing worse.

Watching a film called Swinging with the Finkels, its beyond shite but two points:

- it's not about Howard Finkel
- the thought of Mandy Moore wanking with a Cucumber is kind of awesome

Top Bottom