• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football/Soccer is the worst sport to watch

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
I’m at an airport bar/restaurant watching ESP vs FRA. In the 10ish minutes I’ve tuned in I’ve seen 6+ times some asshole falls on the ground to pretend his entire leg is busted, then proceeds to get up and play fine.

New rule: you go down to pretend you’re hurt then you’re forced off the field for 15 minutes minimum. Fuck around and find out.

These dudes barely get grazed and go do cartwheels into a Peter Griffin knee hold.

Idk how anyone can watch this.

Arsic

How to have a shit take 101.

200w.gif

Arsic

Nothing beats hand egg. I especially like the bit where they play 10 minutes worth of adverts every 3 minutes.
My favorite sport to casually watch is usually hockey. Basketball is alright too, but basketball I tend to not care until second half.

T8SC

Name me a better sport to watch...

Edit: just seen the above posted at the same time. Ice Hockey is ok if you can follow the puck but Basketball is boring.

Last edited:
it happens in every sport. Players will do whatever they can to get a call their way. And they will keep doing it until they get punished for it.

T8SC

Hockey.

Shits always happening. Fights happen and are cool when they do.

Something about the flow of it from a casual guy like me appreciates it more. I’m not a sports dude.

I'll give you a pass, I also enjoy Ice Hockey but I prefer football (Soccer). Ice Hockey (NHL) is only on pay-per-view channels over here.

Arsic

This is why your take is shit...

You look for fights in a game that's not about fights.

This is why people watch football:

I don’t look for them but I don’t mind when they occur. They can be a fun rare occurrence.

Majority of hockey games do not have a fight, and the majority I’ve watched didn’t. I appreciate the slow of the game, and next to no pussy penalty fakes. They come to play for real and I watch. Simple. Feels like anything can happen at any moment.

clarky

Gold Member
I’m at an airport bar/restaurant watching ESP vs FRA. In the 10ish minutes I’ve tuned in I’ve seen 6+ times some asshole falls on the ground to pretend his entire leg is busted, then proceeds to get up and play fine.

New rule: you go down to pretend you’re hurt then you’re forced off the field for 15 minutes minimum. Fuck around and find out.

These dudes barely get grazed and go do cartwheels into a Peter Griffin knee hold.

Idk how anyone can watch this.
Not watching Spain vs France just now ?

Your take is shit.

Last edited:

feynoob

Banned
I don’t look for them but I don’t mind when they occur. They can be a fun rare occurrence.

Majority of hockey games do not have a fight, and the majority I’ve watched didn’t. I appreciate the slow of the game, and next to no pussy penalty fakes. They come to play for real and I watch. Simple. Feels like anything can happen at any moment.
Hockey is shit though.

Porcile

Tennis is even worse.

Posh twats applauding two or four other posh twats doing the same thing over and over again with camera cuts to posh twat's wife/husband because there really is nothing more interesting to show or talk about when the playing posh twats aren't hitting a yellow ball back and forth for two hours.

TransTrender

Gold Member
Totally agree with the OP.
Soccer is a terrible sport to watch, and the flopping completely undermines any argument that 'it's good'

Gaelic Football is awesome.

Go_Ly_Dow

Given it's the most popular sport in the world you are wrong and should be ashamed. The masses have spoken.

Cristiano Ronaldo Kiss GIF

Last edited:

Mossybrew

This has always been my take on why American football is the only sport I can stand to watch -its the perfect balance of structure and chaos. The overall framework of the game is highly structured, but once that play starts anything can happen.

Soccer, basketball, hockey all too chaotic. Just guys runnin everwhere constantly, exhausting to follow. Baseball, too structured, slow, boring, no real surprises.

DKehoe

Football is the world’s most popular sport because it’s good. Your favourite isn’t because it’s hipster bullshit.

FeralEcho

This has always been my take on why American football is the only sport I can stand to watch -its the perfect balance of structure and chaos. The overall framework of the game is highly structured, but once that play starts anything can happen.

Soccer, basketball, hockey all too chaotic. Just guys runnin everwhere constantly, exhausting to follow. Baseball, too structured, slow, boring, no real surprises.
Ah yes,American football:

Where, when you don't watch some wanker run the field with an egg in his hand never touching the ball with his foot, you're busy watching 15 min ads of american culture(or lackthereof) every 5 minutes

Sarcastic Jimmy Fallon GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

Last edited:

Tams

All sports are shit to watch.

Tennis is even worse.

Posh twats applauding two or four other posh twats doing the same thing over and over again with camera cuts to posh twat's wife/husband because there really is nothing more interesting to show or talk about when the playing posh twats aren't hitting a yellow ball back and forth for two hours.

I give ladies' tennis a pass, but only if they are wearing traditionally white, short tennis skirts. The screeching is a turn off though.

Melfice7

Any sport you didnt grow up playing and watching is usually like that...

I dont care for hand egg and if i watch a match of it i also come to the conclusion that its absolute shit

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future

It's structured so that often at the very pinnacle of the game the one thing the offense doesn't want to do is score.

Top Bottom