• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 13/14 |OT10| Silence of the Lambda

Batigol

Banned
Are people legitimately annoyed with the draw for England? It is entirely irrelevant. Just say to yourself one more time "Hodgson is manager". England will never win anything with him, simple as.

Won't win anything with anyone. Doesn't matter who the manager is

Netherlands and Italy not seeded and have been handed shit groups for it . BS FIFA rankings shafted us once again.
It's ridiculous that the World Cup and Euro runners-up, both coming from a successful qualifying campaign, are not seeded. FIFA need to change their criteria. Stop counting frendlies towards the ranking could be a start.

Linius

Belgian commentators really happy, pretty easy group with Algeria, Russia and South Korea. Should be 9 points and then Portugal as first opponent in the knockout stage.

Is that your opinion too? I have no idea where Belgiums confidence is coming from all of a sudden. You guys are not in for a cakewalk. Oh man, it will be glorious if Korea kicks Belgium in the nuts and goes trough with Russia.

Quite okay with our group. Spain is gonna be tough, sucks that we play them first. Australia should be doable, though I fear their defensive play. And Chile are a pretty good country too from what I understand. Definitely not an easy group but we should be able to make it. Sucks that Brazil will be our opponent if we finish second and Brazil wins their group. Which is a likely scenario.

Are people legitimately annoyed with the draw for England? It is entirely irrelevant. Just say to yourself one more time "Hodgson is manager". England will never win anything with him, simple as.

Getting knocked out in group stages fucking sucks though. Such an underwhelming way to get eliminated :(

Scum

xt5hN8Tl.jpg
This has got to be one of the finest pics I have ever seen in my life.

L1NETT

Nah.

It's always nice to reach the knockout stages. If Chelsea can win the CL, dreaming out getting lucky in the knockout stages isn't out the realms of human understanding.

But with this group it's pretty disheartening.

Everyone knows England aren't good enough to win anything. But I'm still going to support them and want them to do well because they're my country. Italy and Uruguay have much better squads, and in all likelihood will probably destroy England, so to not even see them make the knockout stages is disappointing

Nah.

It's always nice to reach the knockout stages. If Chelsea can win the CL, dreaming out getting lucky in the knockout stages isn't out the realms of human understanding.

But with this group it's pretty disheartening.

Yeah. Win the last 16 game as favourites. Get lucky in the quarter, boom, you're in the semi. Get lucky again, boom you're in the final.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
"Originally Posted by Haunted
Man, this USA coach is showing off some excellent German skills in the interview"

Pogbaicant.gif

I don't think I could handle losing a World Cup final. Losing two CL finals almost fucking killed me.

I'd be happy as fuck after the initial hour of devestation. It would be a massive achievement considering the huge limitations of the squad and manager.

Has Mummy given up on getting into football? Shame, since this season is shaping up to be a classic, and its finished off with the best short-form tournament in the world

Linius

I don't think I could handle losing a World Cup final. Losing two CL finals almost fucking killed me.

I'm still alive and well. It's doable. I even go to Spain on holiday next year. The day after the finale in Brazil I'll be in Valencia next year. So hopefully we smashed Spain twice by that time. Let me dream.

Rangers' Arnold Peralta to mark Ribéry in Honduras vs. France :looool

550526_222080027922348_1610444309_n.jpg

He doesn't play full back for us, and I think he wants to play defensive mid, but he's right mid just now. Doesn't seem the most defensively solid player, but if Honduras have any sense they'll double mark Ribery.

I'm still alive and well. It's doable. I even go to Spain on holiday next year. The day after the finale in Brazil I'll be in Valencia next year. So hopefully we smashed Spain twice by that time. Let me dream.

pls smash them and prevent them from even progressing. I genuinely think it would be best for the tournament if they failed to get to the knockout. Their version of tiki-taka ruins every knockout game they play (aside from the final last year)

Is that your opinion too? I have no idea where Belgiums confidence is coming from all of a sudden. You guys are not in for a cakewalk. Oh man, it will be glorious if Korea kicks Belgium in the nuts and goes trough with Russia.

"All of sudden"? It's been years that people have been raving about our golden generation and over the past year, every single smart/hip football pundit has picked Belgium as their darkhorse team to win the World Cup in Brazil. Says a lot about the quality of your squad when you can leave Januzaj at home, United bros can attest to that. I'd be more worried about Netherlands group honestly, gonna be a dogfight with Australia to avoid that last place.

I actually think we'll finish third, tied on points with Algeria.

Elchele

550526_222080027922348_1610444309_n.jpg

He doesn't play full back for us, and I think he wants to play defensive mid, but he's right mid just now. Doesn't seem the most defensively solid player, but if Honduras have any sense they'll double mark Ribery.

He is actually very decent as RB, but he's very stupid and aggressive so he ruins it at some point.

We don't.

rodvik

Won't win anything with anyone. Doesn't matter who the manager is

Correct. Not mad at all. In fact it lowers expectations. It would be terrible to come in second place though, most likely face Argentina or Brazil. Gotta win it or blow out in spectacular fashion. :)

You know what, fuck it with France.

Either they get smashed in the knockout stage, or they get embarassed in the group stage. Either way I'll be sitting there wanking myself silly as Mexes and Evra bathe in eachother's tears, whether it happens after 3 games or after 4/5 games makes no matter

Baki

Come second in a piss easy group
Scrape through a piss easy qualifier with a 2 yards offside goal
Get the easiest group of all time

French fucks

Genuinely don't understand! How can we qualify properly and get such a disastrous group but France gets it so easy after having to go through play offs. :((((

Its a terrible draw for us, but if there's one thing it guarantees, its that peope are gonna be hyped as fuck when those games come around. None of that arrogant shite, no unearned sense of superiority (until Costa Rica at least)

Sainsburys can fuck off if they think I'm missing either of these first 2 games.

@Baki, I forgot they had Spain lol

Should have still finished comfortably as one of the better runners up though and qualified that way

Meier

Genuinely don't understand! How can we qualify properly and get such a disastrous group but France gets it so easy after having to go through play offs. :((((

How do you think the US feels? We literally gifted a WC to Mexico and their group is ten times easier than ours. :(

Not too bothered with our group. Probably for the best we avoided an easy one after the disaster that was WC 2010. Dat Balo - Rossi partnership will see us through :D

Lightning

Banned

Quite okay with our group. Spain is gonna be tough, sucks that we play them first. Australia should be doable, though I fear their defensive play. And Chile are a pretty good country too from what I understand. Definitely not an easy group but we should be able to make it. Sucks that Brazil will be our opponent if we finish second and Brazil wins their group. Which is a likely scenario.
I'm okay with our group. I think we will be okay, getting Spain sucks, one of the teams I wanted to avoid but we could get lucky in the game you never know. Australia will play defensive but our attack is great so we should break them down in the end and I'm confident we have enough firepower to get past Chile.

That sucks we are drawn like that with Brazil. Really unlucky that...

Turns out Veysey was wrong, Flamini doesn't have a groin injury.

You were right Lightning.
Veysey knows fuck all. He makes educated guesses, that's it.

He may have a contact but it's not a direct club source and is pretty far down the info line.

Ornstein has direct Arsenal sources. Top sources at the club top.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
I think it's funny how everyone is overrating Italy.

Certainly one of the worst Italys in recent memory, aside from 6 players, maybe.

Grinta and team spirit will carry them for a while, but they'll hit a brick wall eventually.

Top Bottom