• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 13/14 |OT10| Silence of the Lambda

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
XI vs Bologna:
Buffon; Barzagli, Ogbonna, Chiellini; Isla, Vidal, Pogba, Marchisio, Peluso; Quagliarella, Vucinic

Peluso is still alive apparently.

Salvadora

I think realistically, it's probably as simple as us getting CL football, and offering to double his wages.

He's easily worth that, and it would give him something to think about. What if he gets injured? What if his reputation screws him like it did this summer? What if he has a shit world cup? What if Madrid decide someone else would suit them better? Might be the biggest offer he ever gets, he'll be 27 next year after all.
You won't have a better chance than this season, probably.

United are in transition and there are question marks over Spurs. Arsenal, Chelsea and City are a few steps ahead still, but that 4th spot could be yours. It would considerably boost your chances of improving that midfield too, with the prestige that comes with Champions League football.

Suen

XI vs Bologna:
Buffon; Barzagli, Ogbonna, Chiellini; Isla, Vidal, Pogba, Marchisio, Peluso; Quagliarella, Vucinic

Peluso is still alive apparently.
I'll miss the first half but when I get home I expect Bologna to be heroes, leading with a goal or two.

Forza Bolol.

Zabojnik

I agree with what's been said about Italy. They have a pretty damn solid squad, the problem is Prandelli and his crazy fixations with certain players / formations.

Lightning

Banned
You won't have a better chance than this season, probably.

United are in transition and there are question marks over Spurs. Arsenal, Chelsea and City are a few steps ahead still, but that 4th spot could be yours. It would considerably boost your chances of improving that midfield too, with the prestige that comes with Champions League football.
Agreed. United and Spurs are there for the taking this season. Where Fergie often found that late goal, that killer sub, Moyes is the opposite. How many games now United conceded that late goal? Southampton scored a late one, Cardiff scored a late one and Everton hit a winner late.

Worst thing for ever for confidence conceding that crucial late goal. Spurs are just shit. The table does an injustice as they are a 15pt midtable team.

Salvadora

The Beast would like a word with you.

(I agree that he was a huge capture though of course)
I've been seriously impressed with Negredo at City.

The best defence in the league going against the best home team in the league will be a mouthwatering prospect. I just can't see how we'll keep that Negredo/Aguero partnership out.

Nope.

You know what, I'm relatively confident we can qualify. We're not far worse than Italy, and apart from Suarez and Cavani I don't think Uruguay are any better really. The only reason I have a huge amount of trepidation is the climate.

That's the problem though. The teams are relatively equal, but Suarez and Cavani are on a completely different level. Though I guess at international level Suarez>>>Rooney>>>Cavani

If Suarez shows up though and is in the right frame of mind, we have no chance

Agreed. United and Spurs are there for the taking this season. Where Fergie often found that late goal, that killer sub, Moyes is the opposite. How many games now United conceded that late goal? Southampton scored a late one, Cardiff scored a late one and Everton hit a winner late.

Worst thing for ever for confidence conceding that crucial late goal. Spurs are just shit. The table does an injustice as they are a 15pt midtable team.

Shakhtar scored in the 76th minute. Does that count?

Lightning

Banned
Problem England will have is Hodgson is a handbrake coach. He will try to be extra defensive and sneak a goal from somewhere. I'm not sure England can beat Uruguay that way. Italy just grind results, England are not winning the game against Italy at all regardless of form.

Hodgson is still my issue with England. Don't think his style can he successful against pure attacking based teams.

Suen

You want Bologna to win? They'll be two points behind your Parma.
It's for the good of the league. Juve winning the Scudetto three times in a row is too much. Someone need to stop you. If Bolol fail to win then I expect Parma to finish Operation Juve Downfall in Juve Stadium.

Wilbur

Banned
Problem England will have is Hodgson is a handbrake coach. He will try to be extra defensive and sneak a goal from somewhere. I'm not sure England can beat Uruguay that way. Italy just grind results, England are not winning the game against Italy at all regardless of form.

Hodgson is still my issue with England. Don't think his style can he successful against pure attacking based teams.

Completely disagree. His style works best against attacking teams and fails to work against inferior teams or teams that counter. We'll do better against teams that monopolise possession because it means we can focus on defending.

Wilbur

Banned
Also to everyone bumming Belgium please no

They'll crash and burn

Real dark horses are Chile. Wouldn't put it past them qualifying at all. Vidal GOAT

Also quiche says he has no idea how people respect my opinions on football and listen to me and it must be because I'm an idiot that people reply to me because of that so he wants me to organise the FootyGAF meet up

Please

Tell me I have good opinions

Fuck inter Merda

Fuck France

Forza Phil jones

Lightning

Banned
Real dark horses are Chile. Wouldn't put it past them qualifying at all. Vidal GOAT

Also quiche says he has no idea how people respect my opinions on football and listen to me and it must be because I'm an idiot that people reply to me because of that so he wants me to organise the FootyGAF meet up

Please

Fuck inter Merda

Fuck France

Forza Phil jones
Chile? So you expect us to crash and burn? Nooooooooooo

rodvik

Completely disagree. His style works best against attacking teams and fails to work against inferior teams or teams that counter. We'll do better against teams that monopolise possession because it means we can focus on defending.

Agree. When you are outclassed a Hodgson style manager who is more than willing to kill a game and not pretend his players are more than they are is actually your best shot.

Wilbur

Banned
Chile? So you expect us to crash and burn? Nooooooooooo

Chile could easily put you or Spain out homes. Wouldn't bet on it if I had to, but they're going to be the ones to upset the apple cart if any malignant shit does go down.

Don't know, man, does anyone expect them to do more than pass the group stages? They should manage to do that but they'll be out rather sooner than later. Still, everything okay with that.

Quiche said semis. They've got a real decent squad but they play four centre backs in their defence don't they? Gonna get bummed by counter attacking sides with any pace on the wings.

Plus Vermaelen is one of those defenders. And he's fucking crap.

rvy

Banned
Uh, what a bunch if salty cunts PES players are online. Listen motherfuckers, it's not my fault you all use Real and get your ass whooped.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Also to everyone bumming Belgium please no

They'll crash and burn

Please

Fuck inter Merda

Fuck France

Forza Phil jones

I think highly of your opinion and you're certainly one of the brightest here.

SkylineRKR

Vidal Sanchez and Vargas will shit on them.

You'll need more than that. They need to be reached for instance. The rest of the squad isn't as good as them. But I don't rate those 3 players too high tbh. Sanchez is generally disappointing at Barca, Vidal is going good at Juve but I don't see him as true world class like Iniesta, Van Persie etc. Hes a tier or 2 below that. But Spain IS getting old, its the question how good a Xavi still is.

Wilbur

Banned
I think highly of your opinion and you're certainly one of the brightest here.

I love you. Let me feltch from your anus.

FORZA JUVE

Fuck bolognese. Can't be letting those sauce fucks get ideas above their station. Peluso got dis.

Salvadora

Plus Vermaelen is one of those defenders. And he's fucking crap.

Will Vermaelen definitely start? A whole season on the bench like.

Was good against United though, so maybe he's improved. Just need to put a ball and chain on him so he can't run forward like a mad man.

Zabojnik

You'll need more than that. They need to be reached for instance. But I don't rate that players too high tbh. Sanchez is generally disappointing at Barca, Vidal is going good at Juve but I don't see him as true world class like Iniesta, Van Persie etc. But Spain IS getting old.

You should watch more football.

Messi

You'll need more than that. They need to be reached for instance. The rest of the squad isn't as good as them. But I don't rate those 3 players too high tbh. Sanchez is generally disappointing at Barca, Vidal is going good at Juve but I don't see him as true world class like Iniesta, Van Persie etc. Hes a tier or 2 below that. But Spain IS getting old, its the question how good a Xavi still is.

I take it you have not seen Alexis this season. The other Barca seasons he was ok to good, this season he has been fantastic.

Wilbur

Banned
You'll need more than that. They need to be reached for instance. But I don't rate that players too high tbh. Sanchez is generally disappointing at Barca, Vidal is going good at Juve but I don't see him as true world class like Iniesta, Van Persie etc. But Spain IS getting old.

Iniesta is only world class nowadays in the sense he can do eleven kick ups with a lemon in his back garden. Has a relatively small influence on actual fucking football matches.

Vidal, as Michael Cox said in his WC webchat earlier, is the best all rounder in world football. He can score. He can defend. He can assist. He can run all day. He can take pens. He can tackle. He can head a ball. He's got two good feet. He's influential. He drives Juve forward - a team with other world class midfielders, lets not forget.

He reminds me of Roy Keane at his best <3

Messi

Iniesta is only world class nowadays in the sense he can do eleven kick ups with a lemon in his back garden. Has a relatively small influence on actual fucking football matches.

Vidal, as Michael Cox said in his WC webchat earlier, is the best all rounder in world football. He can score. He can defend. He can assist. He can run all day. He can take pens. He can tackle. He can head a ball. He's got two good feet. He's influential. He drives Juve forward - a team with other world class midfielders, lets not forget.

He reminds me of Roy Keane at his best <3

Under estimate Andres Iniesta at your peril Wilbur.

Wilbur

Banned
Will Vermaelen definitely start? A whole season on the bench like.

Was good against United though, so maybe he's improved. Just need to put a ball and chain on him so he can't run forward like a mad man.

Think they play with Alderweireld's and Vermaelen as full backs mostly, and I think he's still been playing in the most recent qualifiers. Maybe they'll change that come the actual tournament though.

Van Buyten as well; myriad of centre backs, no full backs. Get Januzaj to play LB

Why do you always have to make things weird?

shut up you are just jealous

Wonderful talent but influence on matches is becoming negligible. Busquets is the absolute key player in that Barca side with Messi out.

rvy

Banned

You know what's funny about current Messi, Xavi and Iniesta? They're kind of fucking shit without each other.
Not that they were brilliant without each other a few years ago or anything, but Jesus Christ.

FootballFan

Are Uruguay really as good as everyone is making them out to be? They overachieved at the 2010 World Cup (with some cheating from Suarez), they had a poor qualifying campaign needing a playoff against Jordan to get through, and all their quality is stacked up front.

Suarez was sent off with a red card for a blatant handball. Ghana were given a penalty and choked.

I don't see where the cheating is.

FootballFan

Vidal is better than iniesta and Sanchez has been absolutely amazing in the last 6 months for club and country.

Chile will win the world cup.

Some day.

Top Bottom