• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 13/14 |OT10| Silence of the Lambda

That's some goal by Osvaldo. Not much City can do about that - got to account for those happening every once in awhile when you have quality players in the attack.

Top 4 as it stands now is

Arsenal
Chelsea
Man City
Liverpool

Could this be achievable as a top 4 come the end of the season? Man Utd have been so poor and Spurs mediocre as well. Everton a real wild card as they're in excellent form.

I think it'll end up

Man City
Arsenal
Chelsea
Man United

to be perfectly honest. Just can't discount United. They simply aren't capable of finishing out of the top 4.

Have some confidence in your team man!

GorillaJu

A little surprised to see some Stirling criticism earlier, though others have noted his quality today. His performance today is basically everything that Utd fans hoped Zaha would be - yes he is sloppy and sometimes screws up good attacks, but that is because he is constantly in a position to do so. He is always willing to run at defenders, to make attacking runs, intelligent runs at that, and to receive the ball in dangerous positions. The composure will come with experience.

Also will say I don't think West Ham have been bad at all, they started to retreat a bit towards the end, but were still quite willing to have a go, to get forward for set pieces and to try and score. Not what I would call parking the bus at all.

That's how I see things as well. People expect too much of him if they think he's going to come out knocking them in like Suarez or Sturridge.

For someone of his age, and given he's a winger and not midfielder, for him to be participating in the build-ups to our attack so often is impressive to say the least.

Allen's tackle won us the ball high up on the pitch which turned into the goal as well. Allen has been great. He's up in the attacking third, pinging the ball around and helping us try to break down the defense in ways that Lucas doesn't really do. He's also been quick to get back when we lose possession, and finds himself in loads of space for the pass.

Wilbur

Banned
That's some goal by Osvaldo. Not much City can do about that - got to account for those happening every once in awhile when you have quality players in the attack.

Top 4 as it stands now is

Arsenal
Chelsea
Man City
Liverpool

Could this be achievable as a top 4 come the end of the season? Man Utd have been so poor and Spurs mediocre as well. Everton a real wild card as they're in excellent form.

I think it'll end up

Man City
Arsenal
Chelsea
Man United

to be perfectly honest. Just can't discount United. They simply aren't capable of finishing out of the top 4.

Depends what we do in January to be honest. With Carrick out we're a mess.

I'd go for Chelsea, Arsenal, City, United if we do good business. Think you're a better bet for fourth than Spurs at the moment but its all in flux. Everton looking fantastic, Newcastle real dark horses.

GQman2121

Banned
Still fancy us to win but this is getting really annoying. Not witnessed a comfortable win since Hull on opening day (didn't watch West Ham match).

We could very easily be up two or three goals at this point. The chances have been there. Ivan and Rambo have put a few into the stands, and Hazard and Torres must have money who will assist a goal first. Neither want to shoot.

I thunk we'll turn it around and win 1-3.

GorillaJu

It's weird.

I would've been happy for Arsenal to finish 3rd with a trophy, but now not winning the league will feel like a disappointment.

It all depends on if you can keep up your current form. I just think the squad is too light compared to the likes of Chelsea and City, who will have little problem adjusting to injuries and fixture congestion.

But sometimes the stars just align and it may be Arsenal's season... Bendtner scored for fucks sake.

Feorax

I hear Allen has played well? Great news if true, having legitimate options as CM will go a long way to helping us this season.

Still need to buy a strong, physical CM in Jan though.

3Sixty

PertinentHugeAmericanriverotter.gif

sooooogooood.gif

doicare

Or the much more obvious answer of us being shit.

You need to ground your trolls a bit more in reality.
Yep sure randomly a team that dominates last season and has won most other seasons magically turns to shit over night. This is as bad as people's reactions to the season United lost to City only on goal difference when they had THE WORST injury crisis out of the entire league and probably the entire history of the premier league. Yet despite that City were 'deserved' winners that season who are just obviously better than shitty United trololololololol.

H13

We could very easily be up two or three goals at this point. The chances have been there. Ivan and Rambo have put a few into the stands, and Hazard and Torres must have money who will assist a goal first. Neither want to shoot.

I thunk we'll turn it around and win 1-3.

I want a clean sheet Chelsea :(
Will be waiting for Curtouis next season

Kyoufu

I hear Allen has played well? Great news if true, having legitimate options as CM will go a long way to helping us this season.

To be honest you could put on Rodgers as a player and he'd play well against this West Ham side.

GorillaJu

Yeah, very good game from Allen so far.

My word, dat Osvaldo goal!

Liverpool clanking their way to a 1-0 lead.

There was not much clankery about it. It was fortunate, but with the pr essure we'd been applying it simply had to happen.

Nicktendo86

If he comes out and blames himself then there'll be headlines in the media saying Moyes doesn't think he's the right man for the job. He's fucked no matter which way he answers.

I'm not pleased with the answers he's giving, but I understand why he's doing it.
The bit that got me was "You try and win the next game. We move on. We will try and win the next game, never think much further than that." Where is the drive? Ambition? The plan? If this is the attitude he gives out to the media and fans, god knows what he gives out to the players. The lack of drive/confidence/a bloody plan is clearly showing on the attitudes of the players, most of which were frankly not good enough in the first place. It is like a perfect storm of pure shit, and it is so depressing. I am sure he can turn it around but how long should he be given?

Wilbur

Banned
Arsenal's problem is as usual, Wenger :lol. He is the reason they're still competitive, but also the reason they've suffered.

There's a big chance he feels that their performances so far justify the fact he has faith in them all and doesn't want to add to the group, so won't buy another striker or centre back. It's a real real possibility that could end up fucking you guys over come season's end.

3Sixty

Arsenal's problem is as usual, Wenger :lol. He is the reason they're still competitive, but also the reason they've suffered.

There's a big chance he feels that their performances so far justify the fact he has faith in them all and doesn't want to add to the group, so won't buy another striker or centre back. It's a real real possibility that could end up fucking you guys over come season's end.

That Bentner goal convinced him he doesn't need another striker.

Probably motm so far

He's playing well, but he still has one or two of those moments where he's looking for a pass when he ball arrives at him, and it ends up bypassing him which takes himself and Gerrard out of the game, and leaves them running at our defense. Needs to cut that out.

There was a 3 minute spell at the end of the first half where we kept misweighing our passes

rodvik

Mourhino would require 80 million to invest in the squad. Mourhino would be in the same position as Moyes with this squad.

I am pretty sure Mourinho would have done better with the ManU squad which won the league last season.

It doesnt mean Moyes is a bad manager, its just the gap between great managers like Fergie & Mou and good managers like Moyes is a pretty big one.

Suen

So 15 league games into the season and sitting at 9th place makes our club look like a "fucking joke"?

If you had pointed out the fact that fans were walking out the stadium when we were just 1-0 down and said our supporters are a fucking joke, I'd be more inclined to agree.

But to base all your comments on our underperformance on the pitch and in a seaon that has not even crossed the halfway mark yet is laughable. We had the greatest manager of all time who was in charge for more than twenty years. Transition was more probably than not going to be painful. To say that we expected such poor performances is not exactly accurate but to call it surprising would be overstating it quite a bit.
Uh....yes? You're not fucking Sunderland or Fulham. Why would I call the supporters a joke based on a portion of them? If anything United fans deserve better than the current clusterfuck.

Fair enough, you had a big transition but I honestly don't think many of us thought it would be going this bad. You can't even blame this entirely on your squad considering how well SAF used it. Also great timing with FF reminding me yesterday how Alcorcon defeated Madrid with four goals a few years ago. I don't think I need to remind anyone here how the press, Madrid fans and fans from other clubs were all over it. That was just one game, United has been struggling against multiple teams, teams which haven't even achieved a third of what United has in the past 20 years. It's not like this is your first underperformance of the season.

Kyoufu

If Man Utd sack Moyes this season then they'll just go through a barrage of managers (as I jokingly predicted a while ago :p). They need to give him a chance (at least 2 seasons).

But honestly, I would have sacked him for signing fucking Fellaini for 28 million. :lol

Top Bottom