• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 13/14 |OT10| Silence of the Lambda

jtb

Banned
jtb buddy, what did you make of our game? Things rolling along well and we didn't pick up any injuries.

Really good win, always good to pick up points where others have dropped points. Even better if other teams continue being inconsistent and drop points tomorrow.

I'm surprised Wenger's yet to start Theo yet and that he dropped Flamini, and even more surprised that we ended up not really needing them (though obviously they certainly helped when they came on). Hopefully Chelsea drop points tomorrow, but if not, still a good result. Just gotta keep picking up points until we face some of the big teams; I think we have Everton, Napoli, Chelsea, City... maybe not in that order, all in a row—so that's another stretch of games that I'd like to have as large a point buffer as possible before going into.

It's encouraging that we got the result without them though. Would really like to see Theo in the starting lineup sometime though; maybe at the expense of Flamin and/or Wilshere's place in the team. Pretty sure Wenger brought Flamini in as a back-up anyways, so ideally we shouldn't have to rely on him as our only defensive midfielder.

Lightning

Banned
Really good win, always good to pick up points where others have dropped points. Even better if other teams continue being inconsistent and drop points tomorrow.

I'm surprised Wenger's yet to start Theo yet and that he dropped Flamini, and even more surprised that we ended up not really needing them (though obviously they certainly helped when they came on). Hopefully Chelsea drop points tomorrow, but if not, still a good result. Just gotta keep picking up points until we face some of the big teams; I think we have Everton, Napoli, Chelsea, City... maybe not in that order, all in a row—so that's another stretch of games that I'd like to have as large a point buffer as possible before going into.

It's encouraging that we got the result without them though. Would really like to see Theo in the starting lineup sometime though; maybe at the expense of Flamin and/or Wilshere's place in the team. Pretty sure Wenger brought Flamini in as a back-up anyways, so ideally we shouldn't have to rely on him as our only defensive midfielder.
We have Hull at home on Wednesday and that presents an excellent opportunity to start Theo and Rosciky on the wings and rest Ramsey and Wilshere and Cazorla for the harder period and keep our squad fresh.

Could even be brave start Theo up front and play Gnabry on the wing to give Giroud his rest before the hell week.

We have after Hull:
Everton - H
Napoli - A
City - A
Chelsea - H

The Chelsea game comes of us having an 8 day rest though so that's fine. Just the first 3 games gotta manage the squad properly.

GorillaJu

He was a passenger in the car, so not only is that tasteless it's also obtuse.

--

"If Arsenal were an ice cream cone they'd lick themselves to death" lol I fucking love it.

I'll love it even more when they finish trophy-less once again this season.

sohois

Sure is weird how much grief has been expressed over the death of some C-List actor who had what, 3 hit films in his career? Certainly his family and friends deserve our condolences, but people are going on like he's James Deen or something.

I can't help but feel if Fast 5 had not been released then his death wouldn't have attracted more than 2 pages of replies.

jtb

Banned
We have Hull at home on Wednesday and that presents an excellent opportunity to start Theo and Rosciky on the wings and rest Ramsey and Wilshere and Cazorla for the harder period and keep our squad fresh.

Could even be brave start Theo up front and play Gnabry on the wing to give Giroud his rest before the hell week.

We have after Hull:
Everton - H
Napoli - A
City - A
Chelsea - H

The Chelsea game comes of us having an 8 day rest though so that's fine. Just the first 3 games gotta manage the squad properly.

I'd rather see Gnabry on the wing than Rosicky but other than that, I agree. Would really like to see Theo get a start up front; I suspect his game is built to capitalize on Ozil's through balls (if he can just finish those chances!) and I too would like to see Giroud to get a rest. With Bendtner being shit, Podolski perpetually three weeks out, that means next in line is Theo. I think he can do it.

Wilbur

Banned
He was a passenger in the car, so not only is that tasteless it's also obtuse.

--

"If Arsenal were an ice cream cone they'd lick themselves to death" lol I fucking love it.

I'll love it even more when they finish trophy-less once again this season.

Yeah that was a good article. Fuck supporting Norwich though.

Sure is weird how much grief has been expressed over the death of some C-List actor who had what, 3 hit films in his career? Certainly his family and friends deserve our condolences, but people are going on like he's James Deen or something.

I can't help but feel if Fast 5 had not been released then his death wouldn't have attracted more than 2 pages of replies.

Mm surprises me how many people seemed to love Paul Walker.

sohois

Yeah that was a good article. Fuck supporting Norwich though.

Mm surprises me how many people seemed to love Paul Walker.

Don't get me wrong, I felt the same way when I heard, it was like "Oh no, not Paul Walker!".

then i realised it was Paul walker aside from fast and furious I've never seen him act and know nothing about the guy.

GorillaJu

The main reasons people are so upset is that he was young and that he didn't die of a drug overdose or drunk driving accident.

People are generally more affected by freak accidents or untimely deaths because they're afraid of dying themselves. When someone is responsible for their own death, people are more comfortable about it.

Lightning

Banned
I'd rather see Gnabry on the wing than Rosicky but other than that, I agree. Would really like to see Theo get a start up front; I suspect his game is built to capitalize on Ozil's through balls (if he can just finish those chances!) and I too would like to see Giroud to get a rest. With Bendtner being shit, Podolski perpetually three weeks out, that means next in line is Theo. I think he can do it.
Yeah. We definitely need to either rotate in this game or the Everton game. Everton will be a hard game and against Napoli we need our point to ensure top spot so resting players in those games is unwise. Hull presents an opportunity to rotate our attacking players, since we have a lot of them, and we can still sub them on later if we are not winning the match.

Getting 6 points against Everton and Hull is vital since we will struggle at the Etihad no matter what squad we play or how rested they are. I'm hoping City drop points ageist WBA and Southampton leading up to our game since I doubt they will drop any against us.

Wilbur

Banned
I'd say it's because he's famous. Not that it isn't sad, but everyone on neogaf seems to be a fan of running scared

I didn't like that movie

GorillaJu

I'd say it's because he's famous. Not that it isn't sad, but everyone on neogaf seems to be a fan of running scared

I didn't like that movie

Well speaking only about celebrity deaths where they're all famous, people are affected much more by those deaths that aren't self-inflicted.

jtb

Banned
Yeah. We definitely need to either rotate in this game or the Everton game. Everton will be a hard game and against Napoli we need our point to ensure top spot so resting players in those games is unwise. Hull presents an opportunity to rotate our attacking players, since we have a lot of them, and we can still sub them on later if we are not winning the match.

Getting 6 points against Everton and Hull is vital since we will struggle at the Etihad no matter what squad we play or how rested they are. I'm hoping City drop points ageist WBA and Southampton leading up to our game since I doubt they will drop any against us.

I agree. Though I actually think we could get something against City; for whatever reason, we've performed really well against City the past few seasons (barring that horrific performance when Vermaelen was sent off at the Emirates last season; we were the better side at the Etihad last season, though). No reason we can't grind out a good result there, especially Pellegrini plays a 4-4-2. Wenger's still waiting for that first win against Mourinho though and I'm not particularly optimistic of that changing anytime soon.

Lightning

Banned
I agree. Though I actually think we could get something against City; for whatever reason, we've performed really well against City the past few seasons (barring that horrific performance when Vermaelen was sent off at the Emirates last season; we were the better side at the Etihad last season, though). No reason we can't grind out a good result there, especially Pellegrini plays a 4-4-2. Wenger's still waiting for that first win against Mourinho though and I'm not particularly optimistic of that changing anytime soon.
This game will be a lot different to the capital one cup game but the top clubs improve when playing other top clubs so it will depend on the day but those games won't define our season. Doing our best to limit the amount of draws against midtable opposition will shape our season.

Remember last season when we had a loss it was generally followed up by more poor results. We lost to Chelsea last season and poor results followed it, we lost to United and poor results followed it. Draw 3-3 at home to Fulham, draw to Aston Villa, lost to Norwich and Swansea, draw to Sunderland and Stoke. That sort of thing happened and all before mid December. We have responded to disappointment by winning our next game so far and only WBA for a draw so the mentality of the players is different.

I still don't think we have enough to win the league but I think we have enough to ensure a good season of progression. Need more improvements before I feel we can win the league.

Barzul

Falcao getting subbed LOL
c9u1X.gif

Lightning

Banned
Some excellent games to be had tonight.

Looking forward to the United vs Spurs game and I hope Hull can snatch a point of Liverpool for the lol's.

Barzul

Some excellent games to be had tonight.

Looking forward to the United vs Spurs game and I hope Hull can snatch a point of Liverpool for the lol's.

If a draw was off the table who would you rather see win? Spurs for me, because they're so shit under AVB, it wouldn't really matter.

Scum

Will probably miss most of the games today. Not that it matters. Congrats on the win, Moyesey. I need sleep.

I don't even care about our result today, I just wanna see Lichtsteiner's pale face again.

Oh my, this is so tragic. RIP Paul.

the OT thread is pathetic. They always find something to fight about ffs.

Yep. Bloody daft buggers. RIP :-/

Lightning

Banned
If a draw was off the table who would you rather see win? Spurs for me, because they're so shit under AVB, it wouldn't really matter.
Spurs easily. Not only do I detest United but Spurs are not a threat to us. United are.

Spurs are top 4 hopefuls, United are top 4 probables and therefore best to see them drop points.

Jin_7

Would like to see a good performance from him in a game that matters. Unfortunately he plays for Schalke which means he won't have one of those.

Without him Schalke wouldn't have been in the CL. Scored against Freiburg to secure 4th, scored and assisted in the CL qualification. He pretty much was Schalke's lifeline last season.

feel

My_Movie.gif

"FC Porto’s 53-game winless streak in league ends with 1-0 loss at Academica"
I was so busy laughing at how completely pathetic we've been this past month that I didn't notice the clutch save by the defender with the tip of his boot. Nice.

Lol, Zenit's game is delayed because we came to the stadium late. We decided that it was a good idea to not come overnight and instead travel 1700 miles and come directly to the staduim. Shockingly, we were late.

What a joke club.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Lol, Zenit's game is delayed because we came to the stadium late. We decided that it was a good idea to not come overnight and instead travel 1700 miles and come directly to the staduim. Shockingly, we were late.

What a joke club.

This is brilliant. :lol

Chance to bump AVB a bit further along a career path that leads, with only a few more zig-zags to go, to the A League.

Via Fulham, perhaps.

Pretty much. Normally I'd want Spurs to win, but I can't see Spurs improving in the medium-long term from sacing AVB, and there's nothing on the market for them to replace him with. One the other hand, we could do without the Leverkusen result giving you league momentum. Draw pls

@Sviat, who's your favourite PL team btw? I'm guessing Arsenal

Don't really have one. I'd like to see someone who hasn't won the league in a while win it this season (Arsenal, Liverpool, Spurs, etc).

BTW, my loyalty is for sale for a couple months since the Russian League is going on break after next weekend...make your pitches!

Top Bottom