• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 13/14 |OT11| Schlong Days, Kipless Nights

Yen

OptaJoe ‏@OptaJoe
10,000 - Swansea have become the first team to reach 10,000 passes in the Premier League this season (ended on 10,047). Consolation.

Moral victors.

GorillaJu

Football is over

Was hoping that a gap would emerge to give us a safety blanket with our up coming tough fixtures.

I fear this Everton. 10 games unbeaten, with some favourable up coming fixtures.

We badly need that cushion. Two bad results could see is drop down big. Nicking a point at City would be a big statement.

Hindle

Banned
Everton have won thier last 3 games in a row, possibly more. Can you imagine if they had real money to spend each season? They'd win the title.

OptaJoe ‏@OptaJoe
10,000 - Swansea have become the first team to reach 10,000 passes in the Premier League this season (ended on 10,047). Consolation.

Moral victors.

Mickey Taka

tumblr_inline_mh7luqYPHq1r821py.jpg

Kyoufu

Everton have won thier last 3 games in a row, possibly more. Can you imagine if they had real money to spend each season? They'd win the title.

I think their success is partly down to them not having real money to spend. Their youth system is great as is their coaching and scouting staff. Sure they could become better with money but money isn't always going to improve you. Look at Tottenham. :lol

Scum

Fucking freekick legend! Amazing.

Wenger knows what he's doing with Wilshere, see Ramsey.
Hmmm...I don't know. Ramsey was great to begin with, before his horrific injury. He's just seemingly picked up where he left off. Wilshere, on the other hand, persists on showing how English he is.

Many of the teams around them will worry about European football soon enough...

faridmon

Yep.

City
Chelsea
Hull
Stoke
Aston Villa
Everton
West Brom
Arsenal

I predict when we meet Everton at the end of January, they will be above us.

Meh, you can beat them any day now that Surez is playing like Superman.

Maybe A draw against Chelsea and maybe against Arsenal, but its gonna be a close gaps up there at the top.

Hindle

Banned
Three if their best players aren't their players. Let's not go overboard here.

I know, but if they could compete in the transfer window and buy great players instead of relying on loans, then they'd be title contenders. Martinez is very talented as well, I can see major European teams trying to poach him soon.

Salvadora

Hmmm...I don't know. Ramsey was great to begin with, before his horrific injury. He's just seemingly picked up where he left off. Wilshere, on the other hand, persists on showing how English he is.
Wilshere was legitimately future world class talent in his breakout season, demonstrating a level of ability above and beyond Ramsey.

It's there, but patience is required.

Hindle

Banned
I think their success is partly down to them not having real money to spend. Their youth system is great as is their coaching and scouting staff. Sure they could become better with money but money isn't always going to improve you. Look at Tottenham. :lol

That is what they said about Spurs.

Lol

They do have a smarter board and staff then most other PL teams IMO, say unlike Spurs I think they'd buy smart and not just spend money for the sake of it.

wedward

Wilshere was legitimately future world class talent in his breakout season, demonstrating a level of ability above and beyond Ramsey.

It's there, but patience is required.

Yup, people forget just how good he was. And it wasn't just against Barca that he showed it. Arsenal are in a position where we can be patient with him, but some arsenal supporters refuse to.

Salvadora

Yup, people forget just how good he was. And it wasn't just against Barca that he showed it. Arsenal are in a position where we can be patient with him, but some arsenal supporters refuse to.
Which is made all the more perplexing because we've seen exactly the same thing happen with Ramsey.

I get it, Wilshere has been very frustrating at times this season (and last) but I trust Wenger implicitly in terms of rehabilitating players and developing youth, so have a little faith.

Kyoufu

How much impact has the lack of Europa League had on Liverpool, Everton and Newcastle?

aka: woz Lightning rite?

Can't speak for Liverpool/Everton but we had some major injuries stemming from Europa League games which saw us plummet in the league. It was awful man. Fuck Europa League so hard. :(

pulsemyne

Even though swans lost I do feel that it wasn't a bad loss. Several players had good games (Canas for example) and we were only undone by two excellent goals from individual skill. On the face of it Swansea deserve to be where we are in the league, no higher but also no lower. We are mid table.
Still could we please by a fast striker during january. Bony is just too slow.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
How much impact has the lack of Europa League had on Liverpool, Everton and Newcastle?

Huge impact. Playing 8 extra games as we have puts a big strain on the squad. That Thursday to Sunday schedule is really quite horrible. If you don't have the numbers then it will destroy your season, it's happening to Swansea and it happened to Newcastle and Spurs last season.

Even though swans lost I do feel that it wasn't a bad loss. Several players had good games (Canas for example) and we were only undone by two excellent goals from individual skill. On the face of it Swansea deserve to be where we are in the league, no higher but also no lower. We are mid table.
Still could we please by a fast striker during january. Bony is just too slow.

Any reports on how extensively Bony was scouted? Sometimes it feels like clubs just look at players' scoring records in the Eredivisie and sign them without really researching whether their qualities are compatible with the PL, let alone their specific club

Mastadon

Banned
It's crazy. We're either going to be 5th or serious title contenders by the end of the week, with no scope in between.

Losing to City doesn't put us out of the title race though, even if we are in 5th. It's so close up there that teams are going to be swapping positions regularly.

Scum

Which is made all the more perplexing because we've seen exactly the same thing happen with Ramsey.

I get it, Wilshere has been very frustrating at times this season (and last) but I trust Wenger implicitly in terms of rehabilitating players and developing youth, so have a little faith.

Hopefully he won't leave you waiting long...

Can't speak for Liverpool/Everton but we had some major injuries stemming from Europa League games which saw us plummet in the league. It was awful man. Fuck Europa League so hard. :(

Huge impact. Playing 8 extra games as we have puts a big strain on the squad. That Thursday to Sunday schedule is really quite horrible. If you don't have the numbers then it will destroy your season, it's happening to Swansea and it happened to Newcastle and Spurs last season.

Give CL spot to EL Winners
Get rid of 3rd place CL teams going into EL.

But yeah, EL can take it's toll. :-/

Salvadora

Losing to City doesn't put us out of the title race though, even if we are in 5th. It's so close up there that teams are going to be swapping positions regularly.
I'm worried about the psychological impact of dropping a couple of places at this time of year.

Justjohn™ momentum could come into play.

faridmon

I honestly can't fathom how is terribly difficult to play on Thursday and Sunday with Europa League in comparison to Wednesday and Saturday of that in Champions League.

I guess people like to moan about it when their form plummets.

I do agree that having no European football in general is a plus, but you are only deceiving yourself if you have it tougher in Europa League than Champions League.

Top Bottom