• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 13/14 |OT11| Schlong Days, Kipless Nights

Labadal

Woah, woah, keep the title contenders talk at bay. If we're up by 9 points with two games left, then I'll consider us title contenders.

We basically have 8 teams that are challenging for the title race currently. In a month or two, they will be reduced to 5 teams. If we are one of those 5, great bonus, if we are not... I'm happy if we reach the EL.

Lightning

Banned
I honestly can't fathom how is terribly difficult to play on Thursday and Sunday with Europa League in comparison to Wednesday and Saturday of that in Champions League.

I guess people like to moan about it when their form plummets.

I do agree that having no European football in general is a plus, but you are only deceiving yourself if you have it tougher in Europa League than Champions League.
No comparison CL is miles harder. We're away to Dortmund and Napoli while Spurs away to the fearsome Sheriff... Which is harder on one's squad?

Kyoufu

Woah, woah, keep the title contenders talk at bay. If we're up by 9 points with two games left, then I'll consider us title contenders.

We basically have 8 teams that are challenging for the title race currently. In a month or two, they will be reduced to 5 teams. If we are one of those 5, great bonus, if we are not... I'm happy if we reach the EL.

But why? EL isn't a draw for top players and it'll just put a strain on your CL ambitions next season.

Top 4 or bust.

Koko

Banned
One brillant assist from him this afternoon:

829049323.gif

His partnership with Grenier is really good. It's a shame that Lyon doesn't have a squad that can compete in both competitions.

Lightning

Banned
So you think they'll be Champions by 6+ points?
More than likely yeah. Especially if they go out to Barcelona in the CL.

One can't underestimate how much harder those later fixtures become when they are all must win games. A few more teams will fall away come that point, City won't.

Kyoufu

It's not a fair complaint. If you can't handle the EL, then you don't even deserve to get a shot at the CL.

There's a difference between finishing top 4 and finishing top 6 though. With CL qualification you can attract higher quality players to handle higher quality competitions.

Salvadora

I think we should do what Wenger suggested:

An independent ethics committee who look at fixture congestion and prevent unfairness. Brendan will be able to play away on a frozen pitch in the Balkans on a Thursday and play in the league on a Monday.

Lightning

Banned
Again, EL is no Different than CL unless you want Money.

You will have strain on your squad no matter what.
No dude. CL is much worse. You can get killed in the group stage where every match is harder than what you face in Europa and even the pl in most cases. For all top teams our reserves will get you through the group stage of the El but try that in CL and you'll finish last.

The sheer intensity of the games is much more draining.

Labadal

There's a difference between finishing top 4 and finishing top 6 though. With CL qualification you can attract higher quality players to handle higher quality competitions.

You'll still get a strained squad. I'd be ecstatic if we finish in the top 4, but if we don't, I still want us to get at least a EL spot. We have enough players in our squad to play in that cup. I'd give the back-ups a chance. For us that would be: Aspas, Luis Alberto, Ibe, Flanagan (once Enrique is back), Kelly, Wisdom, Yesil, Ilori and so on.

faridmon

No dude. CL is much worse. You can get killed in the group stage where every match is harder than what you face in Europa and even the pl in most cases. For all top teams our reserves will get you through the group stage of the El but try that in CL and you'll finish last.

The sheer intensity of the games is much more draining.

But to be fair though, Aren't there a lot more matches in th EL than the CL?

L1NETT

Why is everyone so certain that Cabaye's gonna go? He's a got a long term deal, he's not gonna be a cheap nor easy to get. I am sure he wants settled first team football (what he gets now) pre WC rather than playing second fiddle to someone at a bigger club.

---

There's always gonna be unfairness in the fixture list Sal, having real hard patches means that you have greener periods. End of the season your all gonna play the best and worst teams, the order of when you play them isn't that major. And you can't expect a league fixture to move due to an alternate competition. Tough.

Labadal

Why is everyone so certain that Cabaye's gonna go? He's a got a long term deal, he's not gonna be a cheap nor easy to get. I am sure he wants settled first team football (what he gets now) pre WC rather than playing second fiddle to someone at a bigger club.

---

There's always gonna be unfairness in the fixture list Sal, having real hard patches means that you have greener periods. End of the season your all gonna play the best and worst teams, the order of when you play them isn't that major. And you can't expect a league fixture to move due to an alternate competition. Tough.

I don't think he's joining another club, I just want him to join us.

FF bonuses were updated. No bonus for Coleman means that I might not get 100 points after all. I have 91 points with two Arsenal players left.

Sage00

Once And Future Member
I tried to watch a college basketball game the other day (Michigan v Arizona) and actually really enjoyed it. It was so intense. At one point Arizona mounted a massive comeback and clawed back 7 points to level just as it was going into the closing stages. Then it happened. A timeout was called, commercial breaks for a few minutes, eh that's pretty shit but whatever back to the game! Then it happened again. And again. Totally ruined.

Kyoufu

Cabaye is definitely leaving for a CL club, but it won't be in January and it won't be for 10 million. Wenger was drunk when he made that bid.

Koko

Banned
I tried to watch a college basketball game the other day (Michigan v Arizona) and actually really enjoyed it. It was so intense. At one point Arizona mounted a massive comeback and clawed back 7 points to level just as it was going into the closing stages. Then it happened. A timeout was called, commercial breaks for a few minutes, eh that's pretty shit but whatever back to the game! Then it happened again. And again. Totally ruined.

You get used to.

Also Go Wildcats!!.

Carbonox

Totally forgot we won't have Tiote against Stoke. That's gonna suck hard. Guy's been immense this season and going back to being one of the better DM's in the league.

Guess Ben Arfa will come in, allowing Sissoko to go in central midfield.

Hitch5-0, please tell me I'm not about to waste £5.99 on Tomb Raider...

I could get used to that nickname :p

I'll jus C+P my thoughts from a LTTP thread. Give us a sec and check this post in a minute

edit:

I'm about 60% of the way through the PC version. Turned it to easy because I couldn't be bothered with the combat, and the story could not be any more throwaway for me. Only really playing it for the set pieces and scenery

The violence doesn;t bother me since knew about it before going in, I'd have been surprised though.

The blood effect when you're getting shot on easy is hilarious btw. Its like strawberry jam exploding from Lara's pores. Lara's voice actress is rubbish.

I'd say its worth it for £6, maybe you'll enjoy the combat more than me

MATRI BENCHED, SAPONARA STARTING

Someone must have put something in Allergic's drink. . .

Inter: Handanovic; Campagnaro, Rolando, Juan Jesus; Jonathan, Taider, Cambiasso, Zanetti, Nagatomo; Guarin; Palacio

Milan: Abbiati; De Sciglio, Bonera, Zapata, Constant; Poli, De Jong, Muntari; Saponara, Kaka; Balotelli

I think our lineup is better than theirs, despite the problems we've had. Hopefully the boys show up today. In particular, I hope the defense does not get too spread by Palacio's runs.

Scum

I could get used to that nickname :p

I'll jus C+P my thoughts from a LTTP thread. Give us a sec and check this post in a minute

edit:

I'm about 60% of the way through the PC version. Turned it to easy because I couldn't be bothered with the combat, and the story could not be any more throwaway for me. Only really playing it for the set pieces and scenery

The violence doesn;t bother me since knew about it before going in, I'd have been surprised though.

The blood effect when you're getting shot on easy is hilarious btw. Its like strawberry jam exploding from Lara's pores. Lara's voice actress is rubbish.

I'd say its worth it for £6, maybe you'll enjoy the combat more than me

Fun game. Bit overrated by some peeps though.

Cool. I'll pick it up and play through it after a couple of brandies' then. :p

Top Bottom