• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 13/14 |OT11| Schlong Days, Kipless Nights

Hadn't noticed the weekend's fixtures.

If we win, big if...could be another good gameweek for us.

Hope Hernandez plays. We've been better at getting balls into the box lately, goals there for him.

Lightning

Banned
Hadn't noticed the weekend's fixtures.

If we win, big if...could be another good gameweek for us.

Hope Hernandez plays. We've been better at getting balls into the box lately, goals there for him.
You're only playing Norwich.

Liverpool vs Chelsea will be the game of the weekend although Arsenal vs Newcastle should be interesting too.

You're only playing Norwich.

Liverpool vs Chelsea will be the game of the weekend although Arsenal vs Newcastle should be interesting too.

I know - and they've not been up to much - but it wouldn't be a surprise if we lost or drew, and right now we need maximum points.

Our away form is pretty solid right now though, and generally we seem to be playing better so I reckon we'll be alright.

I like the look of Everton vs Southampton on Sunday too. Should be a good game.

Think you will draw at Newcastle and Chelsea beat Liverpool.

LTWheels

My grandmother is going to have her operation on her ankle this morning. I'm praying there is no complications tomorrow. She's completely shattered her ankle and it's a serious operation and she's 85.

My grandad is worried sick and keeps badly fretting. The only time I managed to distracted him today was when we were listening to Liverpool City on the radio. We are taking him home tonight as we don't want to leave him on his own.

I..I don't want to grow old.

It also makes me fear for the day my mum is elderly. She is on her own so if something was to happen..

My grandmother is going to have her operation on her ankle this morning. I'm praying there is no complications tomorrow. She's completely shattered her ankle and it's a serious operation and she's 85.

My grandad is worried sick and keeps badly fretting. The only time I managed to distracted him today was when we were listening to Liverpool City on the radio. We are taking him home tonight as we don't want to leave him on his own.

It also makes me fear for the day my mum is elderly. She is on her own so if something was to happen..
Hope things go fine tmrw, LT.

Can't stop the clock - just got to make sure you stay healthy and stay active.

Carbonox

Didn't know there are a bunch of games at the weekend involving top 9 teams against eachother. That's gonna result in an interesting table by the end of it I think.

noal

Banned

The only thing you can do mate is be there for them. Unfortunately, we all get old and become more susceptible to these kind of incidents. I hope it turns out ok for you.

Clegg

I know that feeling mate. My nan broke her wrist yesterday and went in for surgery today. Not a good thing for an 80 year old. Thankfully, it went well and she should be let out soon.

Went to see my grandad today and he was in a terrible state with worry. My aunt was with him and she couldn't do anything to get him out of the dumps. Had to almost drag him to our our house to get him some dinner. He wouldn't have ate if he was left in his own house; too worried. Brightened up when he got to ours though. We invited all our extended family over to cheer him up. Got a few whiskeys into him and he felt a bit better. Your may just need family to help occupy him too.

Hope your nan gets better soon.

LTWheels

Hope things go fine tmrw, LT.

Can't stop the clock - just got to make sure you stay healthy and stay active.

The only thing you can do mate is be there for them. Unfortunately, we all get old and become more susceptible to these kind of incidents. I hope it turns out ok for you.

It's stupid really. She's an old stubborn Italian lady. She dislikes a bush in her gardan and decided to go and cut it without my grandad knowing. If he was aware he would of stopped her.

Then she decides to go and throw the rubbish over the fence of a pub that is being demolished. That's when she slipped and fell. Instead of walking on the path she walked on the muddy grass...

Carbonox

ESPN loooooll

Three minutes later, Whelan was given a second yellow for a foul on Cabaye and the game's pantomime dame, Mark Hughes, entered the show from stage left. Hughes went mad. Referee Martin Atkinson warned him to calm down, but he carried on and was sent to the stands but not before he threw his coat onto the pitch in a tantrum before storming down the tunnel with a tear in his eye. The home crowd were jeering and laughing.

hughes pls, of all teams to take over.

noal

Banned
It's stupid really. She's an old stubborn Italian lady. She dislikes a bush in her guardian and decided to go and cut it without my grandad knowing. If he was aware he would of stopped her.

Then she decides to go and throw the rubbish over the fence of a pub that is being demolished. That's when she slipped and fell. Instead of walking on the path she walked on the muddy grass...

Yeah, sounds familiar. My grandparents became a lot more stubborn as they got older. It must be about losing their independence. They hated not being able to do the things that we all take for granted. I wish your nan the best of luck mate. Cherish her.

Elchele

It's stupid really. She's an old stubborn Italian lady. She dislikes a bush in her gardan and decided to go and cut it without my grandad knowing. If he was aware he would of stopped her.

it really sucks to rely on other people for pretty much everything, I can understand why they do those kind of things.

getting old must be hard

kharma45

Everyones grandparents sound like mine.

My grandfather for example is 91 and has extremely sore legs from some sort of nerve issue in his lower back where it's absolute agony at times. Doctor has prescribed various painkillers, he takes them once and says they don't work. We recently had him on morphine patches which seemed to ease the pain but he's now stopped taking them too as they apparently don't work either which is fucking bollocks. Part of me thinks he expects whatever he takes to make him more mobile but it's only going to ease his pain. He fell recently too, and this sounds cruel but I hope it teaches him a lesson. He's been told to use his zimmer frame trike thing but he refuses.

My grandmother isn't quite as bad. She has Parkinsons but at least takes her meds, and will occasionally use her frame to get around when she needs it.

Edit - I've become one of those people ranting on GAF about personal stuff.

LTWheels

Cheers guys.

Bringing him back to ours seems to have brightened him up. I think it not seeing all of my Grandmothers stuff.

Us having Sky Sports has cheered him up a bit. He doesn't get a chance to watch much live sport, so he's quite happy to sit down have a cup of tea and watch the Ashes.

noal

Banned
Cheers guys.

Bringing him back to ours seems to have brightened him up. I think it not seeing all of my Grandmothers stuff.

Us having Sky Sports has cheered him up a bit. He doesn't get a chance to watch much live sport, so he's quite happy to sit down have a cup of tea and watch the Ashes.

Considering the score, I don't think the ashes will cheer him up!

Meier

How can anyone refer to the Sterling play as a "disallowed goal?" The play was dead for 5-6 seconds by the time he shot. He should have received a yellow card if anything.

BcXkNyPCIAAaBxX.jpg

That save.

Love it. Will use!

Clegg

Watching MoTD.

That offside decision was so bad that you'd wonder if the lino is on the take. But Sterling had a straightforward chance to score later in the game but bottled it terribly. Tbh I think they outplayed City. Liverpool's first goal was some absolutely lovely football.

Clegg

Omg. Watching Arsenal highlights.

Giroud. He is fucking awful. Misses target from 10 yards out, fails to attack ball for tap in, misses sure fire tap in.

noal

Banned
Omg. Watching Arsenal highlights.

Giroud. He is fucking awful. Misses target from 10 yards out, fails to attack ball for tap in, misses sure fire tap in.

You need somebody to complement him because he is not good enough to lead the line on his own. But, Wenger must know this.

Clegg

Evans makes two mistakes right before Hull's second goal. He made a hash out of clearing the danger and directs the ball back to a Hull player. Then he deflects the shot into his own net. I think he's a good defender. Strong in the air and good with the ball at his feet, but he has a bad mistake in him. We were lucky not to concede more than 2 tbh.

But we've won a game when not playing well. This was something we didn't do earlier in the season. Good to see us scoring goals again too.

GorillaJu

So Brendan is definitely owed a touch line ban after those comments. Funny. Bout time he got involved in some drama.

the officials were embarrassingly poor. Should have finished our chances though.

Lightning

Banned
So Brendan is definitely owed a touch line ban after those comments. Funny. Bout time he got involved in some drama.

the officials were embarrassingly poor. Should have finished our chances though.
It will be a shame if he's banned for the Chelsea game. Really need Liverpool to get any kind of result against those fuckers Chelsea.

Rodgers was right though. FA need to use common sense when they deal with that as the decision wasn't close, it was clear unobstructed view and just a stupid decision. That linesman needs relegation, should be doing league 1 games after that. We can all accept when tight decisions go against our teams every now and then as referee's can't use replays but that decision was exceptionally poor. Worse than the Chelsea phantom penalty against West Brom.

K1LLER7

If only Countinho scored that one chance instead of hitting it straight at Joe Hart. The build up play was Barca-esque but the finish West Ham-esque. Would have been my goal of the season.

Suarez is class. He does brilliantly with his movement to get defenders away and also helps get others into dangerous positions. Looking forward to seeing the trio of Suarez-Coutinho-Sterling over the season. Sturridge back will be a good addition too.

Why can't we play quick one touch football :'( Moyes pls.

Meier

Liverpool-Chelsea should be lovely. United with another very winnable game..they'll be knocking at the door before ya know it.

K1LLER7

Liverpool-Chelsea should be lovely. United with another very winnable game..they'll be knocking at the door before ya know it.
Think we are 8 points from 1st. If we can go on a run, beat Spurs (home) and Chelsea (away), we should be able to catch up hopefully. Doubt City and Arsenal will drop many points though.

Getting Carrick and RVP back now is good. If we get a decent midfielder in January, i'd back us to get to 3rd or 4th. At the moment, I think we might falter against the top teams.

Salazar

Yeah, not happy with either CB really.

Smalling's habit of lumping it up the line is soul-crushingly shit.

Our whole team's obsessive focus on trying to drive down the right-hand side, no matter how incredibly crowded it is, is bizarre. It's like watching a rugby side recycle possession and try to commit defenders.

Baki

If only Countinho scored that one chance instead of hitting it straight at Joe Hart. The build up play was Barca-esque but the finish West Ham-esque. Would have been my goal of the season.

Suarez is class. He does brilliantly with his movement to get defenders away and also helps get others into dangerous positions. Looking forward to seeing the trio of Suarez-Coutinho-Sterling over the season. Sturridge back will be a good addition too.

Why can't we play quick one touch football :'( Moyes pls.

Wilshere goal against Norwich was better. I'm looking forward to Wilshere taking a more prominent role while Ramsey is out.

Baki

I'm not looking forward to it at all but hopefully he takes his chance.

I think he'll be good for us while Ramsey is out. Despite his poor City performance, he has pulled the team forward in some other games (West Brom, Marseille & Norwich).

K1LLER7

Our whole team's obsessive focus on trying to drive down the right-hand side, no matter how incredibly crowded it is, is bizarre. It's like watching a rugby side recycle possession and try to commit defenders.
Haha Smalling is terrible on the ball. Just decides to hoof the ball forwards. Perfect for Stoke.

Jones and Evans are okay for the first 11 imo. Smalling and Keane(?) could be okay back-ups.

United teams are basically driven to play on the wings. Thought a new manager would move away from this but Moyes did the same at Everton. Get on the wings, cross the ball in, goal. Shame we now have wingers terrible at crossing the ball. One is only obsessed with using his right-foot, the other has one good game in 3 months, and finally one who turns left and right so much he confuses himself when he gets to the stage of actually crossing the ball.

wedward

I think he'll be good for us while Ramsey is out. Despite his poor City performance, he has pulled the team forward in some other games (West Brom, Marseille & Norwich).

I don't think Jack, Ramsey and Arteta should all play together. It's overkill. Both Jack and Ramsey need a lot of touches and I think they get in each others way when they both play alongside Arteta. This is a great opportunity for Jack to really push on. He won't be relied upon to score the way Ramsey was now that we have Podolski and Theo back.

He also has the ability to beat a man or two and drive the team forward which is something we miss without him.

Lightning

Banned
I don't think Jack, Ramsey and Arteta should all play together. It's overkill. Both Jack and Ramsey need a lot of touches and I think they get in each others way when they both play alongside Arteta. This is a great opportunity for Jack to really push on and get back some form. He won't be relied upon to score the way Ramsey was now that we have Podolski and Theo back.
I hope Jack defends as well as Ramsey does. Jack's attacking play is mostly okay, wayward passing sometimes, but Ramsey does that too. If he is going to play midfield then he needs to support either Flamini or Arteta in defense.

Ramsey's goals were a bonus for me. Ramsey's true value is he is a workaholic and busts his ass for the team and that's why he needs games where he doesn't play and rests. Pissed off with Arsene about this injury to Ramsey as it was coming because of him being overplayed and the amount of effort Aaron puts in.

Evans makes two mistakes right before Hull's second goal. He made a hash out of clearing the danger and directs the ball back to a Hull player. Then he deflects the shot into his own net. I think he's a good defender. Strong in the air and good with the ball at his feet, but he has a bad mistake in him. We were lucky not to concede more than 2 tbh.

But we've won a game when not playing well. This was something we didn't do earlier in the season. Good to see us scoring goals again too.

Maybe people will be calling out his age because of that mistake like they do with Vidic. Mistakes happen. One or two mistakes happen with cbs and it's important to not flip out and rewrite their entire season. Vidic had about 2 mistakes all season, and he also lost some physical battles with Lukaku and everyone was saying he was done even though he's been great all season. Jones had a couple of mistakes, but no one called him out for them. It was his mistake that led to the Vidic Sunderland mistake as well.

I still think Evans and Vidic are United's best cb pair. Jones should creep into that spot next season.

Young was shit so everyone was looking for Januzaj and Valencia to create something. Evra was invisible for large parts of the game as well.

Haha Smalling is terrible on the ball. Just decides to hoof the ball forwards. Perfect for Stoke.

Jones and Evans are okay for the first 11 imo. Smalling and Keane(?) could be okay back-ups.

United teams are basically driven to play on the wings. Thought a new manager would move away from this but Moyes did the same at Everton. Get on the wings, cross the ball in, goal. Shame we now have wingers terrible at crossing the ball. One is only obsessed with using his right-foot, the other has one good game in 3 months, and finally one who turns left and right so much he confuses himself when he gets to the stage of actually crossing the ball.

Keane has mistakes in him. He's been shit in a lot of games for the reserves. He somehow redeems himself in the eyes of fans because he scores in England u21 matches. I just don't think he's good enough, but I think he's the most likely of the youth cbs to make it simply because he has a good reputation and will get his chance.

wedward

I hope Jack defends as well as Ramsey does. Jack's attacking play is mostly okay, wayward passing sometimes, but Ramsey does that too. If he is going to play midfield then he needs to support either Flamini or Arteta in defense.

Ramsey's goals were a bonus for me. Ramsey's true value is he is a workaholic and busts his ass for the team and that's why he needs games where he doesn't play and rests. Pissed off with Arsene about this injury to Ramsey as it was coming because of him being overplayed and the amount of effort Aaron puts in.

I want to blame Arsene, but what other options were there? Ramsey was in undroppable form. We didn't have any other mids who were able to control the mid like Ramsey was. It sucks, but it happens. Hopefully Jack can fill that roll.

I agree that Jack needs to be more disciplined on defense. I think playing alongside Arteta he will be. When he was playing on the wing he ignored some of his duties because he had Ramsey and Arteta to cover for him. Now he won't.

We also have to accept that most people don't have the same engine as Ramsey. Guy can just run all day.

wedward

Maybe people will be calling out his age because of that mistake like they do with Vidic. Mistakes happen. One or two mistakes happen with cbs and it's important to not flip out and rewrite their entire season. Vidic had about 2 mistakes all season, and he also lost some physical battles with Lukaku and everyone was saying he was done even though he's been great all season. Jones had a couple of mistakes, but no one called him out for them. It was his mistake that led to the Vidic Sunderland mistake as well.

CB's are judged more harshly than strikers. Its ludicrous.

wedward

Jack Wilshere ‏@JackWilshere 24 Dec
Gutted not to be Involved last night! Shouldn't of reacted the way I did but I know all you dads out there love your kids the way I do....

24 Dec
Suppose I will just have to take the abuse about my kids in future......anyway, one more game to go! Can't wait to be back! #AFC

City. Classy as ever.

Guys I'm planning to go to Rhyl at the end of January. How much money should I allocate for the trip (for food, place to stay etc.) and does anyone has any recommendations for anything?

GorillaJu

This storm is ridiculous. Can't sleep because the rain is hitting my window practically horizontally.

Those are always great. I love a good typhoon. Better in the late summer when the wind is warmer though and you can crack open your window just a tad

Top Bottom