• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

football thread 13/14 |ot12| last roll of the dive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slizz

Time for the weekly installment of Real or Fake?

ieuurR7pDMJ7W.gif

iJ2m6uqzyeyqJ.gif

iCVOw1LNY0DhQ.gif

ir4JrCAEsbY18.gif

iB70mPhkOPH0F.gif

wedward

So we sign Draxler and he competes with Podolski, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, Cazorla, Miyaichi and whoever else's versatility allows them to play there due to our packed midfield? No, you sign a striker who is the next realistic step to taking this squad to the next level.

You don't have to know our budget to know that it isn't £150m, or anywhere near close to it. Arsenal do not have that financial power according to the accounts.

Why is it one or the other?

Commercial deals kick in this summer. Money is there. We have more cash than any other team. We have the ability to spend another 40 million. The stadium payments are manageable.

I'm not saying it's going to happen, but I am not going to rule it out either.

Also Miyaichi is not someone you should think about. He will be gone. Chamberlain plays on the right or deeper in midfield. Podolski will be 29 this summer. Cazorla isn't really an effective winger.

Slizz

I need to book a flight to the USA to crack the real or fake case and marry Hilary Duff.

Miami or SoCal. Thats all you need. I'd include NY but its cold sometimes.

Winter in Miami has finally ended it lasted from 1/6/14 to 1/9/14(6/1/14-9/1/14)

Salvadora

Why is it one or the other?

Commercial deals kick in this summer. Money is there. We have more cash than any other team. We have the ability to spend another 40 million. The stadium payments are manageable.

I'm not saying it's going to happen, but I am not going to rule it out either.

Also Miyaichi is not someone you should think about. He will be gone. Chamberlain plays on the right or deeper in midfield. Podolski will be 29 this summer. Cazorla isn't really an effective winger.
I'm not ruling it out either and I'm sure Wenger is a huge admirer, but I was simply stating that from an economical and footballing point of view, it doesn't make much sense.

Obviously this sport is filled decisions that don't fall into those categories, but I feel our resources are better used elsewhere.

Also: much of the cash we have in reserve is leveraged against our debt, so not available for splurging on German spermatozoids.

wedward

I'm not ruling it out either and I'm sure Wenger is a huge admirer, but I was simply stating that from an economical and footballing point of view, it doesn't make much sense.

Obviously this sport is filled decisions that don't fall into those categories, but I feel our resources are better used elsewhere.

Also: much of the cash we have in reserve is leveraged against our debt, so not available for splurging on German spermatozoids.

Fair enough.

If we sign Draxler this summer and don't get a striker I will be pretty annoyed with Wenger.

If we sign both i'll be happy.

Definitely prefer we get a striker to Draxler.

That's cash we have in reserve. Doesn't include the cash we will be getting this summer from the new deals.

3Sixty

Manchester City are ready to flex their financial muscle and pay a world-record £30million in January for Southampton’s outstanding young English prospect, Luke Shaw.

City have made it clear to Saints chairman Nicola Cortese they will pay the fee immediately to blow away rivals Chelsea and Manchester United, who also hold a long-standing interest in the left-back.

Shaw, 18, is regarded as England’s long-term successor to Ashley Cole and City accept they will have to break the world-record fee for a full-back to get him — beating the £29.5m paid by Barcelona for Dani Alves in 2008.

Citeh pls.

Lightning

Banned
Not sure if moving to EPL would be the best move for Draxler at this point of his career, but obviously staying at Schalke isn't either. I assume Dortmund is not going to happen and Bayern has enough midfielders already though, so there's not really any other choice.
The thing is Draxler is much better than Santi, Podolski or any of our midfielders with the exception of Özil. His price is only going to go up and he's the player who closest reminds me to Eden Hazard. So if there's a chance we can get him we really have to take it.

I would much rather us spend £40m on Draxler than waste it on Costa who I think is ridiculously overrated.

Clegg

Have had a stroke of luck.

Saw the thread over on gaming about Target stores getting in a new shipment of PS4's. There aren't any Target's in Ireland, but decided to look around different retailers in case they'd gotten a new shipment in. The Argos closest to me have 5 Killzone:SF bundles left so I reserved one. I'm certain they weren't in stock a few days ago.

Slizz

Saw the thread over on gaming about Target stores getting in a new shipment of PS4's. There aren't any Target's in Ireland, but decided to look around different retailers in case they'd gotten a new shipment in. The Argos rarest Argos to me have 5 Killzone 4 bundles left somnI reserved one. I'm certain they weren't in stock a few days ago.

Amazon US says the 19th for in stock PS4's.

I'm thinking about pulling the trigger but I honestly can't justify it with the games currently out.

If I got GT6 I'd want the wheel and pedals almost immediately which is basically just under buying a new PS4.

Probably gonna wait a little bit longer before I get one.

Linius

I recently noticed I have 330 euros in a savings account I didn't even know I was using. That money will stay there to pick up PS4 down the line. Probably when I get my own place since I need a bluray player of my own by then :p

Clegg

Amazon US says the 19th for in stock PS4's.

I'm thinking about pulling the trigger but I honestly can't justify it with the games currently out.

If I got GT6 I'd want the wheel and pedals almost immediately which is basically just under buying a new PS4.

Probably gonna wait a little bit longer before I get one.
Amazon UK says new stock comes in on the 25th so I reckon that's around the time when retailers get new stock on too. But PS4's are still in high demand here so they'd be gone pretty fast and then who knows when they'd next get a new shipment? Ideally, I'd like to wait until more games come out, but I think it's best if I get it tomorrow since there's no telling how much new stock comes in at the end of the month. Don't want to risk leaving things too late and discovering there won't be any consoles available until March.

But yeah. I got really lucky finding this PS4 bundle. Not much interest in Killzone, but its the only bundle they have.

wedward

The thing is Draxler is much better than Santi, Podolski or any of our midfielders with the exception of Özil. His price is only going to go up and he's the player who closest reminds me to Eden Hazard. So if there's a chance we can get him we really have to take it.

I would much rather us spend £40m on Draxler than waste it on Costa who I think is ridiculously overrated.

My man.

Kyoufu

Saw the thread over on gaming about Target stores getting in a new shipment of PS4's. There aren't any Target's in Ireland, but decided to look around different retailers in case they'd gotten a new shipment in. The Argos closest to me have 5 Killzone:SF bundles left so I reserved one. I'm certain they weren't in stock a few days ago.

Do it for Resogun.

Salazar

Banega and Coentrao would be alright.

The loans are handy, but it'd be nice to get some permanent shit done in this window and not leave ourselves with positions to fill in summer.

Gutted that Kagawa didn't score. He got some ridiculous shit from the commentators - "uh oh, Kagawa knocked off the ball" when one of our other players has turned what should have been a pass to feet into an aerial duel for no reason.

Lightning

Banned
Ramsey was the best player in the league for some time this season, is Draxler better than that Lightning?
Different positions. Ramsey is an outstanding midfielder, the complete midfielder, but he is offensive and defensive whereas Draxler really is purely an attacking player like Ozil, Santi and Podolski. You can't compare them but in the position where Draxler would play he would be MUCH more effective than if Ramsey was playing there. Draxler also has amazing potential, in the Gotze category for potential imo whereas the rest of the players in that position are much older.

Selling Cazorla, get Draxler in would be perfect. Wait for Madrid to get their mega star centre forward then once they've signed their Falcao, Suarez, Aguero or whoever just go buy Benzema of them.

We could end with an attacking front line of:

-----Ramsey-Flamini-------
----Walcott-Ozil-Draxler----
-----------Benzema------------

Not bad for me. I could go with that.

Would you guys stop fucking talking about players you aren't ever going to sign?

Your opinions are nauseatingly bad, while were at it.
Do one. Just because Draxler openly talks about Arsenal while wiping his ass with Liverpool with no fucks given.

Clegg

The loans are handy, but it'd be nice to get some permanent shit done in this window and not leave ourselves with positions to fill in summer.

Gutted that Kagawa didn't score. He got some ridiculous shit from the commentators - "uh oh, Kagawa knocked off the ball" when one of our other players has turned what should have been a pass to feet into an aerial duel for no reason.
He played well in the second half, as did the rest of the team. The play was quicker and we pressed much better. Still a bit of a concern that we played quite poorly in the first half though.

If we sign them as loanees then they'd have a chance to impress Moyes for a couple of months. Play well enough and they could be signed on a permanent basis in the summer.

Slizz

I think the loans are perfect for our current situation if they go through.

Do we think either could be a permanent solution? Maybe, but strengthening the lineup currently during this turbulent time, without having to have to BUY a player for some price that will embarrass us is nice. We get these players for the remainder and still have this fictional war chest to dream about.

Lightning

Banned
Cazorla was our best player last season, we can't be selling him
KuGsj.gif

I'm not keen on Benzema either unless we get really desperate.
Why can't we be selling Cazorla? Draxler is the better player. You want us to improve or not?

Nothing wrong with Benzema. A very good player and both of these players are very attainable. The German Arsenal players are already in overdrive on Draxler, and our french players will get working on Benzema when the time comes.

K1LLER7

Yeah, i'd take those 2 on loan. Go for the permanent buys in the summer.

Shinji played better as the #10 and when the team pressed. Also, we actually looked to play through the middle significantly more in the 2nd half. Fletcher seems to be the only player who looks to play little 1-2's around the box with Adnan and Shinji compared to some of the other players who just look for the ball out to the wings.

Hopefully we get to see the same duo in midfield against Chelsea. Carrick and Fletcher have looked our best combination of midfielders in that position this season.

K1LLER7

Does United and loans go together?

Seems a very short term solution to me.

In this window it would be a sensible approach imo.

Top players and club more likely/willing to sell in the Summer window. But risk of not getting CL is a problem.

Clegg

Does United and loans go together?

Seems a very short term solution to me.
We took Tevez on loan with the view to buy. We would've bought him too, but the company who held his contract were asking for ridiculous money on on too of the millions we'd paid in a loan fee.

Henrik Larsson was a very successful loan too. He played well for the few months he was here and we sent him a PL winners medal after the ceremony at the end of the season.

Meier

Curro, Juan Fernando Quintero (on Porto to start) and Yordy Reyna are my 3 fav players in FM 14 thus far. Curro (young player from Sevilla) in particular is INSANE as a CM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom