• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

football thread 13/14 |ot12| last roll of the dive

Status
Not open for further replies.
auGQLWO.png

please understand

TeddyBoy

Absolutely insane win, I didn't expect a point, defence was poor, but our attack was just too strong.

Also, Coutinho being subbed off was good, he had been having a poor game, if he had taken his chances, it would've been so much easier.

MrKaepora

it's done, we won. 2-0 but it could've been easily twice that amount.

some notes:

- Porto is dreadful. not a team, just 11 individuals each doing his own thing, absolutely no flow or pace or anything resembling atractive football
- Quaresma is still shit
- sad to see Rodrigo go, amazing goal, absolute rage in that shot
- 6th game in a row with Oblak on the goal, 6th clean sheet in a row

Benfica now leads the league, 2 ahead of Sporting and 3 ahead of Porto.
The guy doesn't have much work
/sarcasm

GorillaJu

You can't ask for anything else from two strikers than to link up the way they do and score those kinds of goals.

Henderson was really bad today and both full backs were mediocre at best. Toure was hot and cold, mostly cold

LTWheels

Did those two ever played together in defence? Can't see why not even if they're both left footed. At least those two can pass out of defence.

It's not about having two left footed defenders. The problem is that neither have experience playing as the right cb. They have spent their whole career playing on the left. It's very hard to adjust and any mistakes made would be very dangerous.

Skrtel has experience playing as the left cb, that is why he can play there when our left cb's are injured.

You can't ask for anything else from two strikers than to link up the way they do and score those kinds of goals.

Henderson was really bad today and both full backs were mediocre at best. Toure was hot and cold, mostly cold

I wasn't a fan of how our midfield 3 lined up. I think Gerrard is taller than Lucas so he was being used as the deepest to challenge the header, and Lucas was being used to compete for the second ball. So a Henderson didn't really have a role other than to buzz around.

Also play went through Gerrard instead of Henderson. I would much rather use Henderson as our playmaker, I don't trust Gerrard's long balls that stay on the ground.

Brilliant goal by Suarez and then Sturridge. Two great players. What a pair.

Still so disappointed in our defensive frailty. And Mignolet letting in that goal from Walters, it was like a balloon just slowly bouncing in. Shameful

I wonder if another keeper would go with his feet when the ball is in that position. Guess its just instinctual, and being a keeper it doesn't come naturally, where it would for De Gea.

Either way, he should have kept it out easily. Need to do some real work on our defensive movement and keeping shape/defending as a unit

Clegg

I wonder if another keeper would go with his feet when the ball is in that position. Guess its just instinctual, and being a keeper it doesn't come naturally, where it would for De Gea.

Either way, he should have kept it out easily. Need to do some real work on our defensive movement and keeping shape/defending as a unit
Wooden has this page bookmarked and will tell you to piss off when he gets back from his ban,

Labadal

Piss poor performance despite the five goals and an incompetent referee. Lucky to get a win.

-Cissokho, Johnson, Skrtel, Toure, Mignolet, Gerrard, Lucas, Coutinho
-Abysmal defending. I'm embarrassed.
-Pressing was a joke. No doubt, including gerrard was part of that.
-Awful passing in our own half.
-Ref robbed Stoke of a penalty.
-Coutinho missed two chances I thought were certain goals.
-Sterling should not have had a penalty. I don't think he dived, he was out muscled by the defender and flew like a little midget. Ref got it wrong.

+Sterling, Suarez, Sturridge, Henderson.
+Sturridge is back.
+Five goals, four legit and one on a non-existent penalty.
+We got three points.

We really need to get rid of several defenders. They just don't cut it at this level.

Skrtel was strangely good imo considering that we conceded 3 goals. Solid in the air, the tackle, nipped in ahead of his opposite number on a few occasions, good at anticipating through balls

sohois

I wouldn't say Henderson was really bad but he deffo a bit anonymous. Looks like the games are beginning to catch up with him, he's played pretty much every minute this season, even in the cup games.

Mastadon

Banned
I thought Cissokho was fine today, and Hendo had his worst game for ages.

Agree with the rest though. Ah well, three points makes it hard to be too disappointed. No one goes through the season playing well in every game, just need to make sure our performance picks up next week.

LTWheels

Agree with the rest though. Ah well, three points makes it hard to be too disappointed. No one goes through the season playing well in every game, just need to make sure our performance picks up next week.

I think the problem for Henderson today was that he had no clear role in our midfield in defence, or attack today.

I hope it was just a case of tactics to try and manage Stoke.

didamangi

Skrtel was strangely good imo considering that we conceded 3 goals. Solid in the air, the tackle, nipped in ahead of his opposite number on a few occasions, good at anticipating through balls

Not saying much in this game considering the striker he was up against though, and he tackle Shawcross to the ground on the first half and if the ref was competent would've given a blatant penalty for them,

It's not about having two left footed defenders. The problem is that neither have experience playing as the right cb. They have spent their whole career playing on the left. It's very hard to adjust and any mistakes made would be very dangerous.

Skrtel has experience playing as the left cb, that is why he can play there when our left cb's are injured.

Maybe Sakho is still young enough to start learning there but yeah I see what you mean.

I was surprised by how tired the defense and midfield looked considering the 6 day break we've had (even more for a lot of these players), early League Cup exit and lack of Europe

GorillaJu

This is correct.

Sterling penalty could go either way, surprised it was given but the foul wasn't a shoulder nudge, he stuck his knee in front and Sterling made the most of it. Wouldn't give it myself but I can see the foul.

GorillaJu

Marchisio's impact today was so good. Pirlo was off the pace a bit, getting dribbled past and misplacing passes. Good sub and great player.

Speaking of subs, Hitch I don't see where there can be a complaint. We don't have anyone who could come in and make a positive difference. Alberto could come in for Sterling but he had the right wing covered.

Gerrard is the only player I think that could have gone off toward the end there.

Anyone else have the new Bein Sports? It's the former aljazeera Sports. I can't set my streams to English when I login to their website.

Although I can find unofficial english streams online of the same feed!

GorillaJu

Skrtel tackling Shawcross to the ground on a corner kick in the first half.
I thought it was a clear penalty at least.

Oh that. Yeah that looked like both players going at each other a bit, Skrtel definitely put some weight on him but when the attacking player is equally guilty of shoving and tugging, you don't really see those given.

Night friends, YNWA

he's too busy not whistling the obvious ones.

Porto are the portuguese Stoke.

I thought Sporting Braga was?

I remember a time when Sturridge passing a ball was unthinkable.

I was one who didn't want him on the team. He has made me eat plenty of crow.

MIG LOOOOOOOOOOL

THATS FUCKING HART TIER

Ah bollocks. Should have done better there Mignolet.

mignolet done fucked up.

That was the ugliest goal by Walters. Lol. Mignolet has turned to shit. I guess the wetness didn't help.

Brilliant goal by Suarez and then Sturridge. Two great players. What a pair.

Still so disappointed in our defensive frailty. And Mignolet letting in that goal from Walters, it was like a balloon just slowly bouncing in. Shameful

That Walters goal really wasn't on Mig, if you seen the replay there is nothing he could have done because Toure was blocking his view as Walters kicked the ball.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom