• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 13/14 |OT13| Top 15 finish for AC Milan: Sogno Possibile

Status
Not open for further replies.

sohois

Its ridiculous

If B-Rod doesn't want to spend, he's an idiot. Best chance for top 4 we've had at this point in 5 years, and we won't buy the clearly necessary signings to keep our noses ahead of Everton, Spurs and Man Utd

If FSG are unwilling to make money available, then they are not good enough owners. They must be able to see that depth is the key to the remainder of the season. Lucas' injury alone may well fuck us, and that's before even thinking of the other injuries

If our scouts/Ayre are proving to be a roadblock, replace them. They've had half a season to find some targets and put the feelers out.

We're done for the window. It's so obvious Salah was our only real target, and we've been cunts again by dithering over Basel's take it or leave it price.

For reference, in the January under Kenny where we didn't spend, we were 2 points of 4th. We then proceeded to implode, partly due to our lack of depth, and it's remembered as one of our worst seasons. We just don't learn...

So, the season is still ongoing, the window is still ongoing, you know nothing of Liverpool transfer dealings and yet you still rush to proclaim this 'worst transfer window ever' or some bullshit. Why don't you wait awhile until you make this ridiculous claims

And do bear in mind, Liverpool only have a squad of about 20 senior players in any case, with injuries to Agger, Enrique, Johnson, Lucas then one can see how easily it becomes 15 players available to train

So was this man in 06

5014122202857297561_ef84bdd41c.jpg

Sucks, I love watching the best play. Always feel a bit cheated if teams are not at full strength.

GHG

ACL's are a bitch man :(

I'm sad for him, Theo and anyone else who may suffer this terrible fate between now and the WC.

Watch Monaco go splash the cash on a striker now.

What's with all these knee injuries lately?

They happen every season. Its just more hard hitting because the headline is "Misses the World Cup!!!". Its a lot more hard hitting than "out for the season".

So, the season is still ongoing, the window is still ongoing, you know nothing of Liverpool transfer dealings and yet you still rush to proclaim this 'worst transfer window ever' or some bullshit. Why don't you wait awhile until you make this ridiculous claims

And do bear in mind, Liverpool only have a squad of about 20 senior players in any case, with injuries to Agger, Enrique, Johnson, Lucas then one can see how easily it becomes 15 players available to train

Unless we're doing a particularly great job of keeping our business quiet, this is a fuckup of a transfer window., especially in the face of Lucas' injury and the lack of depth we already had in his position. If we push through a transfer for a CM, fine. If, as is looking likely, we dont, we'll have fucked up.

And surely your second point just reinforces the point that we have to do some business in this window?

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Yurt pls. We didn't collapse by selling one player, we had been freefalling since 2006 until the bug-eyed saviour came.

Your post-RVP games were fucking hilarious/sad.

the difference is that we aren't selling our best player here, and our XI is filled with world class players as it is. This 90 million will only make us better.

Your post-RVP games were fucking hilarious/sad.

the difference is that we aren't selling our best player here, and our XI is filled with world class players as it is. This 90 million will only make us better.

I flew back to England for a week late 2012 and the only thing I cared about was seeing Arsenal live. Was the worse performance I have ever seen live. A The 2-0 win against West Brom courtesy of Santi diving for penalties. Arsenal looked a joke

Would you take the cash straight up or insist on Verratti???

He played in the World Cup.

Yep, but he was ruled out in Feb 06. Was meant to be 6-9 months, but he went with screws in his ankles and only 70% fit and not having played before it.

Yes to your second point. ACLs are different though. Hopefully he can recover quicker than expected.

Watching Fady retweeting stuff from blaming Mourinho and slowly towards blaming Mata has been hilarious today.

Are there stages of grief for Football transfers.

Mastadon

Banned

Well that's the entire point, isn't it?

Our squad depth isn't sufficient for us to maintain a push for the top four. Our direct rivals are strengthening, or have key players returning from injury.

Feorax

Well actually, we know everything about Liverpool's transfer dealings, because we're shite at keeping it out of the media apparently. The last time we has a signing we didn't know was being negotiated about a month in advanced was Assaidi, and before that probably Meireles.

As much as we'd like to say LFC are doing things behind closed doors and feeding the media only the info they want out here, we know it's simply not true. When the a Echo and the Times say "there's nothing imminent and we aren't looking at midfielders", you can bet that's 100% true.

The fact that we spent 6 weeks talking to a man who wasn't Aspas' agent when trying to secure his transfer spoke volumes to me about our competence in the transfer market. We get told "these deals require time and patience", but for some reason this only seems to apply to LFC. Spurs, Arsenal, City, Chelsea and United have all shown it's entirely possible to do what we seem to think is impossible.

I don't think it's the end of the world we didn't get Salah, and I don't think everything we do in the market is bad, but I don't see any reason why I shouldn't feel pissed off that we've been shown up yet again.

Zabojnik

Depends if were getting Guarin or someone else. Pirlo will stay for one or two more seasons, so it's not like Verratti is an absolute priority. (Or maybe he is, seeing Pirlo's current form.) If we're serious about him - and I'm not sure we are - it might be a good idea to get PSG to include him in the deal. It could be much harder and pricier to get him later on.

In Marry we trust.

Yep, but he was ruled out in Feb 06. Was meant to be 6-9 months, but he went with screws in his ankles and only 70% fit and not having played before it.

Yes to your second point. ACLs are different though. Hopefully he can recover quicker than expected.

Well, the problem with his injury is that if he plays proper football in 5 months, his knee will be fucked even more in a matter of seconds.

sohois

Unless we're doing a particularly great job of keeping our business quiet, this is a fuckup of a transfer window., especially in the face of Lucas' injury and the lack of depth we already had in his position. If we push through a transfer for a CM, fine. If, as is looking likely, we dont, we'll have fucked up.

And surely your second point just reinforces the point that we have to do some business in this window?

Well, I've seen journalists reiterate that there are no 'liverpool itks' because of how tight things are being kept, so at the moment I would say Liverpool may well be doing a very good job of keeping things quiet. One cannot be remotely certain on this point however.

As for the second point, why waste time bringing in mediocre squad players. Why spend money on youngsters who aren't ready, a la Alberto and Ilori? Why bring in loans of experienced players who are poor, a la Moses and Cissokho? Why end up with a bunch of Parks and Squillacis, Santa Cruzs and Garcias, Ferrerias and Maloudas, Kagawas and Youngs, Chadlis and Capoues. Need I go on?

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
I flew back to England for a week late 2012 and the only thing I cared about was seeing Arsenal live. Was the worse performance I have ever seen live. A The 2-0 win against West Brom courtesy of Santi diving for penalties. Arsenal looked a joke

Either way, I'm 200% sure that Verratti is coming here if we sell Pogba.

Not only is he a direct replacement to Pogba, but he can be Pirlo's heir in the future. Win-win.

tri_willy

We get told "these deals require time and patience", but for some reason this only seems to apply to LFC. Spurs, Arsenal, City, Chelsea and United have all shown it's entirely possible to do what we seem to think is impossible.

money talks. lots of it.

operon

Well actually, we know everything about Liverpool's transfer dealings, because we're shite at keeping it out of the media apparently. The last time we has a signing we didn't know was being negotiated about a month in advanced was Assaidi, and before that probably Meireles.

As much as we'd like to say LFC are doing things behind closed doors and feeding the media only the info they want out here, we know it's simply not true. When the a Echo and the Times say "there's nothing imminent and we aren't looking at midfielders", you can bet that's 100% true.

The fact that we spent 6 weeks talking to a man who wasn't Aspas' agent when trying to secure his transfer spoke volumes to me about our competence in the transfer market. We get told "these deals require time and patience", but for some reason this only seems to apply to LFC. Spurs, Arsenal, City, Chelsea and United have all shown it's entirely possible to do what we seem to think is impossible.

I don't think it's the end of the world we didn't get Salah, and I don't think everything we do in the market is bad, but I don't see any reason why I shouldn't feel pissed off that we've been shown up yet again.

Yup, something is seriously wrong with the way we work the transfer market at the moment

sohois

How have we been shown up?

And don't you think you are showing a fair bit of confirmation bias there? If a signing isn't completed and isn't in the media then you would never know anything about it. There are only 3 types of transfer dealings - Completed signings, uncompleted signings that are reported, and uncompleted, unreported signings. There is a whole 3rd category which you are ignoring.

Meier

Shame, Colombia were my outsiders to do well, better than Belgium anyways.

Jackson will have to come up big. Colombia has a lot of good, young attackers. Ibarbo, Juan Fernando Quintero, Muriel, James. Curious if Eder Alvarez Balanta will play much if any. I guess we might get an idea in March.

Depends if were getting Guarin or someone else. Pirlo will stay for one or two more seasons, so it's not like Verratti is an absolute priority. (Or maybe he is, seeing Pirlo's current form.) If we're serious about him - and I'm not sure we are - it might be a good idea to get PSG to include him in the deal. It could be much harder and pricier to get him later on.

In Marry we trust.

Not only is he a direct replacement to Pogba, but he can be Pirlo's heir in the future. Win-win.

As long as he comes. My worry is that he takes of Pirlo's place at the World Cup and beasts it, thus PSG refuse to sell him.

Yager

Banned
Why would he come back? He should tell them to fuck off. Txiki and Ferran will be happy to give him a job though.

Because if he comes back that means that every single piece of shit we have right now directing the club will leave. And I'm sure he would love to come back, erverybody likes him...but that doesn't mean he will.

Feorax

How have we been shown up?

And don't you think you are showing a fair bit of confirmation bias there? If a signing isn't completed and isn't in the media then you would never know anything about it. There are only 3 types of transfer dealings - Completed signings, uncompleted signings that are reported, and uncompleted, unreported signings. There is a whole 3rd category which you are ignoring.

1. We've been shown up because we communicated through the media how this would be a difficult transfer, and how patience would be required. It was even said we would wait until the summer to make sure we get the best deal. We've seemingly been working on this for several weeks, and then Chelsea have apparently secured him within 24 hours of their interest being made public. Small club.

2. I'm merely playing the odds with the incomplete, unreported signings. As I said, it's happened twice for LFC since 2010, and not one time since the establishment of the transfer committee. I'm not saying it won't happen, and I'll be made up if it does, but history suggests it's about as likely as an Aly Cissokho hat trick in the derby.

Jarnet87

That would be the most epic trolling in history. No chance this is going to happen. But the meltdown here would be beyond imagination.

many muppets were lost over Thiago, but Mata falling through would be mass muppet suicide, United fans will never believe that we will sign anyone good again. It will all be uncomfortable Leon Osman jokes.

that won't happen, even if Pirlo gets injured.

We can refuse to sell Pogba too, you know. :)

Pirlo won't be able to make it through half the games with his current form plus the weather out there.

Any other player and I would believe Juve would keep hold of them.

Mino-Raiola.jpg

But cannoli don't come cheap.

sohois

1. We've been shown up because we communicated through the media how this would be a difficult transfer, and how patience would be required. It was even said we would wait until the summer to make sure we get the best deal. We've seemingly been working on this for several weeks, and then Chelsea have apparently secured him within 24 hours of their interest being made public. Small club.

2. I'm merely playing the odds with the incomplete, unreported signings. As I said, it's happened twice for LFC since 2010, and not one time since the establishment of the transfer committee. I'm not saying it won't happen, and I'll be made up if it does, but history suggests it's about as likely as an Aly Cissokho hat trick in the derby.

Chelsea 'got it done' by offering almost twice what Liverpool offered. Joke club

Odds? What odds? What are your priors?

Meier

Apparently City only paid $11.5m for that 80% stake in the Melbourne Heart. Bargain basement considering they had to stump $100m plus another ~$400m to build a stadium for NYCFC.

John Henry is a billionaire and I'm sure Tom Werner is as well (other co-owner). Their refusal to close the deal when they had the chance is on them. Smart move by Chelsea to swoop in.

Timurid

I can see Verratti going there when he is 34 and already won everything by then. :p

GHG

Wenger please bid for Mata. Do itttt. He wants to be with his friend Cazorla:

The victory is really valuable since we saw, on Saturday, that two of our big rivals this season are also very strong: Manchester City and Arsenal. City have a big attacking power, whereas Arsenal won thanks to a great performance from my friend Santi Cazorla. He’s got plenty of quality and he can destabilise any game, like he did this weekend.

http://blogs.grada360.com/juanmata/en/2014/01/20/el-dia-de-etoo/

(Mata's blog by the way)

Mino Raiola was Nedved's agent.

Really? had no idea. Raiola must have been pissed that he didn't ditch Juve.

Nedved was a one of a kind, clearly attached to the club. I imagine Raiola being like Tom Cruise in Tropic Thunder going on about G5s to Pogba if he signs with PSG

Nedved is now definitely my favourite non-Italian Juventus player

Chelsea 'got it done' by offering almost twice what Liverpool offered. Joke club

Odds? What odds? What are your priors?

Offering twice as much? I've read we're doing the deal for £11m. We're just about to bank nearly £40m, prices go up when clubs know you've got a ton of money, I don't see how this makes us a "joke club" but people going to hyperbole.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom