• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 13/14 |OT13| Top 15 finish for AC Milan: Sogno Possibile

Status
Not open for further replies.

sohois

I've seen numbers of 10-11 million quoted. Is that really double what Liverpool offered?

Offering twice as much? I've read we're doing the deal for £11m. We're just about to bank nearly £40m, prices go up when clubs know you've got a ton of money, I don't see how this makes us a "joke club" but people going to hyperbole.

I've read £16. joke club was a rebuttal to how Feorax originally posted, not intended as a full analysis of Chelsea's dealings.

fuck Mata. I am sure I remember reading him saying that he rejected Arsenal because he wanted to go to a big club and win.
Turns out to be true so far, but
fuck him.

Wasn't the issue that Wenger refused to stump up the money for his release clause? Which was about £4m or so less than we paid? He then signed a new deal and we decided we wanted him and paid what Valencia wanted.

Mata never rejected Arsenal. Wenger just never put in a bid.

You do know that most bids take place because clubs already know that a player wants to come. We didn't bid because we knew he didn't want to sign.

Wasn't the issue that Wenger refused to stump up the money for his release clause? Which was about £4m or so less than we paid? He then signed a new deal and we decided we wanted him and paid what Valencia wanted.

There was never any interest on his part to come to us.

jtb

Banned

Yeah, the release clause expired on July 31st or whatever and of course, Wenger wouldn't pull the trigger on the buy because everyone was too busy dicking around on the Cesc/Nasri transfers and he couldn't buy before he sold someone. By the time one left, possible replacements had already been bought and we ended up selling Nasri too anyways. Fucking disaster of a summer.

You do know that most bids take place because clubs already know that a player wants to come. We didn't bid because we knew he didn't want to sign.

We didn't bid because of the release clause situation; Wenger didn't know whether Cesc or Nasri would leave so he refused to buy a replacement before either left. Stupid stupid stupid.

His only demand was CL football, as far as I know. We could provide that, Liverpool, Spurs couldn't which is why we nearly had him and why Chelsea eventually got him.

Feorax

Chelsea 'got it done' by offering almost twice what Liverpool offered. Joke club

Chelsea offered Basel's asking price for a player in contract that they had no reason to sell. If we weren't prepared to do that then we should have walked away and focused our efforts on more important issues.

After the Suarez debacle in the summer, we should know this better than anyone. We can't just do a Jedi mind trick and say "you should sell us this player who is contracted long term to you for a fee we specify", because the answer will rightly be "get fucked".

Odds? What odds? What are your priors?

28 first team players signed since 2010/11, 2 players signed with no prior reporting.

8 first team players signed since Jan 2013 (first use of the transfer committee) no players signed without prior reporting.

Odds are 1 in 14 at best, practically nothing if considered from the birth of our current transfer committee.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Really? had no idea. Raiola must have been pissed that he didn't ditch Juve.

Nedved was a one of a kind, clearly attached to the club. I imagine Raiola being like Tom Cruise in Tropic Thunder going on about G5s to Pogba if he signs with PSG

Nedved is now definitely my favourite non-Italian Juventus player

Pavel Nedved "Mourinho courted me, constantly, and said 'Come to Inter, I'll make you win the Champions League."

"He was convinced that he would take the trophy and he was right. But I was and am a Juventino, so I said no. I loved Juventus too much to join Inter.

"I really wish I'd been able to win the Champions League with Juve, but I couldn't do it with another jersey on my back."

Loyalty in football is DEAD

Mastadon

Banned
Telegraph Sport understands Liverpool are resigned to losing out on the Egypt international, who was Brendan Rodgers' primary January target. It now seems unlikely Rodgers will attempt to bring in anyone else before the transfer window closes at the end of the month.

GHG

We didn't bid because of the release clause situation; Wenger didn't know whether Cesc or Nasri would leave so he refused to buy a replacement before either left. Stupid stupid stupid.

He actually was. Wenger still keeps in touch with his dad. He was at the Emirates last summer before we bought Ozil.

http://www.101greatgoals.com/blog/f...in-the-directors-box-at-the-emirates-tonight/

Chelsea refused to do business with us obviously.

'It was a question of sporting achievement, not money. Arsenal and Tottenham were both interested in me but they did not compare with the Blues.

'I want the Premier League title and this is possible at Chelsea.'

http://www.*****************/sport/football/article-2029102/Juan-Mata-snubs-Spurs-Arsenal-win-trophies-Chelsea.html

he never wanted to come, we could have activated his release clause but he would still have turned us down.

Clubs dont bid for players unless they are sure that the player wants to come. It is why we made an official bid for Suarez because we knew he wanted to come last summer.

edit: The mirror is banned?

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much

Fairly stupid if true. Everton are doing more business than Liverpool in this window for god's sake, not spending in January can be a huge mistake. We failed to act in Harry's last two seasons and it all went tits up.

sohois

Chelsea offered Basel's asking price for a player in contract that they had no reason to sell. If we weren't prepared to do that then we should have walked away and focused our efforts on more important issues.

After the Suarez debacle in the summer, we should know this better than anyone. We can't just do a Jedi mind trick and say "you should sell us this player who is contracted long term to you for a fee we specify", because the answer will rightly be "get fucked".

28 first team players signed since 2010/11, 2 players signed with no prior reporting.

8 first team players signed since Jan 2013 (first use of the transfer committee) no players signed without prior reporting.

Odds are 1 in 14 at best, practically nothing if considered from the birth of our current transfer committee.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/spor...ws/mohamed-salah-chelsea-liverpool-fc-6556063

Liverpool value the player at around the £8million mark but Basel have upped their asking price for Salah to around £16million.

Chelsea, whose transfer kitty has been fuelled by the £37million sale of Juan Mata to Manchester United, have informed Basel they are willing to pay that figure.

From what I have read, Liverpool had a deal agreed at the lower end of the figure. Chelsea came in and offered pretty much double what Liverpool valued him at. Liverpool worked hard to bring Basel down to their asking price and seemingly agreed until another club came in with a ridiculous offer. A generally effective use of time, if you ask me.

And again, you are ignoring, the 'unknown unknowns'. 2What you see is all there is", as Kahenman put it

Meier

Fairly stupid if true. Everton are doing more business than Liverpool in this window for god's sake.

It seems like because of the Falcao injury, Monaco won't loan them Traore since he'll be expected to play now. Not sure McGeady is going to be a huge difference maker.

Agreed though that LFC need to make a move or two still.

jtb

Banned
http://www.*****************/sport/football/article-2029102/Juan-Mata-snubs-Spurs-Arsenal-win-trophies-Chelsea.html

he never wanted to come, we could have activated his release clause but he would still have turned us down.

Clubs dont bid for players unless they are sure that the player wants to come. It is why we made an official bid for Suarez because we knew he wanted to come last summer.

He said that after signing with Chelsea; he obviously wasn't going to talk shit about his new club by saying he wished he signed with Arsenal instead. No one would ever say they signed with ANY club because of the money, they'll talk about the "project" or some bullshit like that. We didn't bid because Barcelona dragged their feet for months and months on the Cesc issue (while having no problem buying Sanchez), because Wenger claimed he would not sell both Nasri/Cesc, etc.

tri_willy

gee, if liverpool miraculously make it to the top 4 without needing to get reinforcements this period, it'll be the best masterstroke by brendan, if not, we deserve to be mid tier forever

pulga

Banned
SocialRMadrid: ''Rosell refused to speak to the press and decided to avoid the journalists by hiding in the ladies' toilet.''

Please please let this be true

Utter scum in that club, from top to bottom. Cheats and frauds on every echelon

Messi

SocialRMadrid: ''Rosell refused to speak to the press and decided to avoid the journalists by hiding in the ladies' toilet.''

Do you still support Real or just Juve?

Meier

I missed that Napoli officially signed Jorginho. Very good signing. Javi Garcia has actually been pretty capable this year when played as a DM, but Napoli were apparently interested in taking him off our hands although I'd imagine that's no longer the case. Saw Lazio may be interested of they lose Hernanes.

He said that after signing with Chelsea; he obviously wasn't going to talk shit about his new club by saying he wished he signed with Arsenal instead. No one would ever say they signed with ANY club because of the money, they'll talk about the "project" or some bullshit like that. We didn't bid because Barcelona dragged their feet for months and months on the Cesc issue (while having no problem buying Sanchez), because Wenger claimed he would not sell both Nasri/Cesc, etc.

We will never now what really goes on behind the scenes and especially in Wenger's head. Although the Cesc situation is the only time I have felt sorry for him in a longtime. Cesc undermined Wenger and we lost out on a good £10 million extra.

rossonero

Mohammed Salah will sign for Chelsea for a fee in the region of £10m subject to personal terms and a work permit #CFC #chelsea

£10m?!

Kiraly

Hope they have to sell Messi to Real Madrid to pay their fines and Ancelotti keeps Messi on the bench every single match.

Bit unfair to criticise Liverpool. It's hardly a level playing field. In this situation I don't think they can just increase their offer by €5 million in one day like Chelsea.

Are you talking about Barca or Real here???

I think you still owe Arsenal money for Anelka :(

Chelsea put it up on their page. For some reason they always announce with that bit about medical and personal terms still being required.. guess they're anxious to beat the press!

http://www.chelseafc.com/news-article/article/3634770/title/salah-transfer-agreed

Yeh that was where I originally saw it. As you said we always say medical/personal terms. I doubt they'd announce it without personal terms being done anyway, aren't most personal terms done before the transfer fee is agreed between the clubs anyway, haha.

Meier

Bit unfair to criticise Liverpool. It's hardly a level playing field. In this situation I don't think they can just increase their offer by €5 million in one day like Chelsea.

Don't think it's unfair. They've had about a month to wrap up the negotiations and failed to do so. This is not West Brom or some club who has limited funds and is constantly on the brink. Pay what's necessary and get the guy in. If it means paying a few million more than you want, so be it.

Fergie

Banned
So this lends credence to Mata?

YES MOU.

If they got him for 10 million? Then wow.

Liverpool aren't exactly poor after those huge overspending on English players, can't blame the owners for being reserved.

Yager

Banned

Like in almost every single club in La Liga. At least we get to decide who will be the president.

tri_willy

So this lends credence to Mata?

YES MOU.

If they got him for 10 million? Then wow.

Liverpool aren't exactly poor after those huge overspending on English players, can't blame the owners for being reserved.

caroll and downing killed the owners trust in spending money on a awesome signing

Jarnet87

Him2.jpg

gotta love the caf.

bud

indykaila News ‏@indykaila 15m
Breaking News: Chelsea agree fee over move for Salah #CFC #LFC

ndykaila News ‏@indykaila 21h
Mohamed Salah. Enjoy the flight. #LFC

how
why

We're being linked with Shaw, Zouma, Diego Costa and Guarin before the end of the window and Barkley as a summer deal.

Zouma £11m, might be left where he is until the end of the season though. Shaw could be a similar loan back but we don't think Southampton will sell and he'd still be expensive anyway (and therefore I can't see us letting him stay at Southampton if we did manage a deal) and Guarin could be as little as £8m, which would be funny as we offered £13m before we signed Matic and they wanted £15m...

Diego Costa seems like press talk because we want a striker, wouldn't be surprised if we asked Athletico for a price just to see what they would want. Cant see it going through at all though especially as his release clause isn't active in January.

Ba was going to Transzonspor for £7m (which would mean we break even on the deal, good for FFP apparently) but when Torres got injured it got stopped, if we signed someone else then we might then let him go.

Essien looking likely to join AC Milan on loan, although other places say we're considering paying him off to get him out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom