• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 13/14 |OT14| Juan Flew Into The Slug's Nest

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danchi

I don't know if its right to say Ozil isn't a "big game player," but so far it doesn't seem like he's the type who will lift his team with an individual performance. Everyone around him needs to be playing well (on "his level" maybe...) to see the best of him. He wouldn't have been a good buy for Utd this season, for sure.

I would say that, overall, I've been quite disappointed with him. I will give him the benefit of the doubt that it's his first season in a new league though.

Clegg

Is this counting that cardiff "assist" that was just a pass to Ashley Messi Young, who then took on the whole defense and scored? and his terrible shot today that ended up at Van Persie? Well I guess everything counts, like all the Torres assists lol.
Probably. I'm just counting up the assists he's attributed with on whoscored.

Even if you take away that one dodgy assist he's still assisted as many as anybody else. That's an appalling stat for any United fan to read.

GQman2121

Banned
ibh1ZHoyw578u9.gif

Lightning

Banned
Yep. Obviously I'm joking when I call him a flop, but I'm sure even Lightning will agree that he's been disappointing recently.

Edit: Or not.
The game against Liverpool was the only game where he was legitimate crap but so were all our top players. I mean Santi Cazorla let players run straight past him with no fucks given yet nothing said. Only Özil gets grilled...

He was shit but so were 10 other players on the field.

If you watch most goals we score Ozil is involved at some point, if even making room for others. He's getting unnecessary shit thrown at him.

Baki

Flop? Simple minded knucklehead.

If every flop we have is as good as Ozil we'd have won the pl already.

Let the Liverpool fans have their day. Remember, its been 7 years since they beat us at Anfield.

Just remember, number 2 and only one point off top. We can still do this. :)

Baki

only in the league, though. so it's a pretty selective stat.

Lol yeah.

I miss the Arsenal from the first half of the season. We were beasting in Europe and at home. That win against Dortmund away and Liverpool at home was masterful. Let's not forget the Napoli win.

I miss Ramsey.

Draconian

Man United's away record is better than ours. They have 20 pts, we have only 16.

We have 13 points more at home.

That's some crazy shit.

I remember when playing United away made most teams shit their pants.

Now everyone in the league believes they can go to Old Trafford and get a point. Mid-table teams probably think they can get three tbh.

Diablos54

The game against Liverpool was the only game where he was legitimate crap but so were all our top players. I mean Santi Cazorla let players run straight past him with no fucks given yet nothing said. Only Özil gets grilled...

If you watch most goals we score Ozil is involved at some point, if even making room for others. He's getting unnecessary shit thrown at him.
Look at the money you've spent on Ozil though. He's been underperforming lately and it's effected the whole team as well. I mean, if Hazard had those stats he's be straight on the bench.

jtb

Banned
Look at the money you've spent on Ozil though. He's been underperforming lately and it's effected the whole team as well. I mean, if Hazard had those stats he's be straight on the bench.

"assist" is a borderline meaningless stat. especially if you're going to strip out any and all context. Ozil's played fine up until the Liverpool game, where he, along with just about everyone other Arsenal player was godawful. I wouldn't be surprised if he was benched for the Utd game, I would certainly bench him, if only to give him a rest.

Draconian

This is especially funny coming from someone who was implying Salah was a flop yesterday after flubbing two shots in a 15 minute debut.

EDIT: I may have confused you with someone else. If so, my bad.

operon

Let the Liverpool fans have their day. Remember, its been 7 years since they beat us at Anfield.

Just remember, number 2 and only one point off top. We can still do this. :)
Think Chelsea have it. If ye don't beat United which ye should do then ye are in trouble.

jtb

Banned
Good to know.

It was in no way a slight, I was just surprised that they have been so consistent when together.

Yeah, they've been very solid—though Vermaelen's been decent deputizing too. imo, it's more coincidence that one of Kos/Mertesacker has been injured in our two big defeats up until this point (Utd, City) than anything, though. Don't really see either of those games playing out differently with that partnership intact; our current defensive success has got more to do with the way Wenger's setting up the team (and failed to do against Liverpool) and the presence of an Arteta or Flamini. Causation =/= correlation and all that.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Moyes will outlive half of our squad, its not him who should be afraid

Fergie

Banned
Would United fans settle for Europa league or would you prefer trying to rebuild without that extra game in midweek?
UCL for the winners is vital. In case again top 4 isn't achieved.

Next season's Europa League winners qualify for CL. Might be United's best shot.
Yep.

It pisses me off that we will lose to this shit team on Wednesday
Arsenal have something to prove, unless somehow all these crosses are actually dangerous which is unlikely, as today 81 fucking crosses resulted in shit.

Pls. It's more likely Arsenal will win.

Lightning

Banned
That's a very simplistic view though. Chelsea have a strong bench, there's a significant drop in quality from Özil to anyone else in our squad let alone the bench. Liverpool was the only game where he didn't perform, against Southampton we would have lost if he wasn't on the field and almost won us a game we deserved to lose, he unluckily hit the post. It's fine line. Against crystal palace he against done well. He didn't get assists but the pass just before the assist can be just as important.

Özil has more key passes than anyone else in the arsenal squad.

This is especially funny coming from someone who was implying Salah was a flop yesterday after flubbing two shots in a 15 minute debut.

EDIT: I may have confused you with someone else. If so, my bad.
Not me. That was the Liverpool fans attempt to justify their failure to land him.

Danchi

Özil has more key passes than anyone else in the arsenal squad.

But do you think he regularly dictates the game? Not simply stats-wise or whatever, but as a human being watching the games. Probably the majority of Arsenal's midfield players want to play in his position so I feel like there's a lot of responsibility on Ozil to control Arsenal's tempo/the rhythm of their passing.

Arsenal can be so ponderous at times. I feel like he needs to be the one who plays the pass that second faster and gradually brings everyone up a level.

Facism

Gold Member
Fry, sorry to hear about your hair.

If it helps, i have a full head of hair, which i'm growing out like a Lion's majestic mane to bang about at this summer's music festivals.

jtb

Banned
But do you think he regularly dictates the game? Not simply stats-wise or whatever, but as a human being watching the games. Probably the majority of Arsenal's midfield players want to play in his position so I feel like there's a lot of responsibility on Ozil to control Arsenal's tempo/the rhythm of their passing.

Arsenal can be so ponderous at times. I feel like he needs to be the one who plays the pass that second faster and gradually brings everyone up a level.

He creates chances, and so I think he's fulfilling his main responsibility. We're ponderous, but we've always been ponderous after Cesc left (we played some dire football in RVP's last year). I think the two players most responsible for our slow, ponderous attacking movement are Giroud and Arteta. Giroud, because he's so goddamn slow you have to literally rework your entire game plan around his lack of mobility which allows defenders/midfield to pack the space around him. and Arteta because he's the player, imo, who's role is to control the tempo—and he's been very solid for us since arriving but he's a pretty limited passer, so that slows our game down too.

Both need to be replaced/upgraded. My hope (and I suspect Wenger's also) is that Wilshere is the heir apparent to Arteta, but his defensive discipline is just so fucking poor and his passing has never really reached the heights of his breakout season so who fucking knows with him. (Not to mention he seems to think of himself as a number 10, also...)

Facism

Gold Member
Fry, sorry to hear about your hair.

If it helps, i have a full head of hair, which i'm growing out like a Lion's majestic mane to bang about at this summer's music festivals.

also when i cut it all off after August would you like me to send it to you so you can make a wig?

pulga

Banned

The other players didn't cost whatever it was we ripped off of yous

tumblr_lif42yE0Rs1qgnsnbo1_500.gif

Lightning

Banned

I think it's a huge improvement on last year with Cazorla. While not at the level we,would expect from a quality player like Özil he's new to the league, adjust to lesser quality players, more physicality, more endurance given the arsenal schedule every season.

Next season I expect him to do better but I also expect us to have a proper striker to provide for. Giroud is a good player, squad player, not good enough to lead the Arsenal line and holds Özil back. Özil providing for Rooney or van persie would go much better than supplying Giroud who is great at holding up, laying off, heading but not ruthless at scoring, can't run onto through balls like Ronaldo or Benzema could. Hence much harder for Özil to perform.

Baki

I think it's a huge improvement on last year with Cazorla. While not at the level we,would expect from a quality player like Özil he's new to the league, adjust to lesser quality players, more physicality, more endurance given the arsenal schedule every season.

Next season I expect him to do better but I also expect us to have a proper striker to provide for. Giroud is a good player, squad player, not good enough to lead the Arsenal line and holds Özil back. Özil providing for Rooney or van persie would go much better than supplying Giroud who is great at holding up, laying off, heading but not ruthless at scoring, can't run onto through balls like Ronaldo or Benzema could. Hence much harder for Özil to perform.

He needs to evolve past being an assist machine and start blasting himself.

subtles

My biggest issue with Ozil is that he doesn't apply himself to the extent a player with his ability can. You'll find few better final balls in Football today. The space he creates for his teammates and the way he shines when the movement around him is intelligent and constant is amazing. He just doesn't take games by the scruff of the neck.

Fergie

Banned
My biggest issue with Ozil is that he doesn't apply himself to the extent a player with his ability can. You'll find few better final balls in Football today. The space he creates for his teammates and the way he shines when the movement around him is intelligent and constant is amazing. He just doesn't take games by the scruff of the neck.
Imagine Moyes got him. Static movement.

I think all Arsenal fans (including me, I must admit!) thought Ozil was gonna beast this league. He's done fine imo for his first season. Next season, if we get a WC striker who runs onto his passes, he'll get more assists. The games where he's done really well in are the games where we've played fast, fluid football where everyone interchanges and moves around the pitch like a well-oiled machine. Everything just comes together perfectly when we play that type of football and hopefully we'll see it on Wednesday against Utd.

I do think Walcott would have benefited from Ozil's through balls though, he has the pace and the directness on the counter that Ozil likes.

Anyway we need to get rid of Saturday quickly. Hope we can thrash Utd.

-------

Just watched the Social Network with Fincher's commentary. Love the film and his commentary is interesting and funny. Can't wait for HoC s2.

FuturusX

I do think Walcott would have benefited from Ozil's through balls though, he has the pace and the directness on the counter that Ozil likes.

Good points.

Perhaps the loss of Walcott is more significant than Arsenal anticipated. The balance of the team feels different now. Ramsey too.

Injuries have not been kind to the Gunners. Arsenal GAF needs its own Doicare...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom