• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 13/14 |OT14| Juan Flew Into The Slug's Nest

Status
Not open for further replies.

subtles

Did Saturday night not happen??? I hate my opinions, but I know them to sadly be true about this team. This team have put in three terrible league performances in a row and we just had that soul destroying loss to start our most important run of games. Feb will be fun.

March is a fixture list from hell. That month can make or break your season.

Ashes

Banned
This, coming from the man he 'sacked', just says it all really. Moyes never had the best in game management but this was just something else.

I wonder what his training sessions are like?

Edit: He's taking them to Dubai. Dave pls.

Edit2: Does this sound like Moyes United?

It sums up Moyes's approach – whereas other managers believe paying too much attention to the opposition affects self-belief, the Scot is a naturally reactive manager who varies his side's approach to nullify the strengths, and expose the weaknesses, of a particular opponent. Sometimes this reactivity can become negativity, and while Moyes has often frustrated big sides in the Premier League he has rarely beaten them – especially away from Goodison Park.

No. Same tactics again and again. All out attack. Bringing Rooney back into midfield. Valencia for Rafael. That reduces the teams defensive capabilities by 1/4 at least. You think it is only chance we've dropped so many points late on? Especially when we are on all out attack mode?

Personally, reviewing yesterday's game, I think we should really stop doing the above. Fulham were sitting so deep, but were dangerous on the counter attack. Moyes should had kept Rafael on. Valencia doesn't improve things all that much. & Carrick can spread the ball as good as anybody, so Rooney was all the more redundant in midfield yesterday. Fletcher should had stayed on. A winger should had departed for another striker sure. But depleting a weak midfield wasn't the best thing to do,

Lightning

Banned
Did Saturday night not happen??? I hate my opinions, but I know them to sadly be true about this team. This team have put in three terrible league performances in a row and we just had that soul desteoying loss to start our most important run of games. Feb will be fun.
Feb?

Liverpool - H (FA Cup)
United H
Sunderland - H

You're pessimistic about that.

Stoke
Swansea
Spurs
Chelsea
City

That's our March but we could have 67 points before we even travel to Spurs if we win our other games.

wedward

Ozil has been overplayed. It is no surprise he is slumping right now. Not sure when we will be able to rest him, but he definitely needs to be rested at some point.

Also I think a player new to the EPL needs a full season to adjust. Some adjust immediately (Cazorla) and some take a season or two (Mertersacker). And some never do (Shinji).

Lightning

Banned
Ozil has been overplayed. It is no surprise he is slumping right now. Not sure when we will be able to rest him, but he definitely needs to be rested at some point.

Also I think a player new to the EPL needs a full season to adjust. Some adjust immediately (Cazorla) and some take a season or two (Mertersacker). And some never do (Shinji).
He can rest after the Bayern game. Sunderland at home we should win that one without Mesut. He might get a rest for the FA cup game but I hope not.

NO ONE rests against United.

subtles

No. Same tactics again and again. All out attack. Bringing Rooney back into midfield. Valencia for Rafael. That reduces the teams defensive capabilities by 1/4 at least. You think it is only chance we've dropped so many points late on? Especially when we are on all out attack mode?

Personally, reviewing yesterday's game, I think we should really stop doing the above. Fulham were sitting so deep, but were dangerous on the counter attack. Moyes should had kept Rafael on. Valencia doesn't improve things all that much. & Carrick can spread the ball as good as anybody, so Rooney was all the more redundant in midfield yesterday. Fletcher should had stayed on. A winger should had departed for another striker sure. But depleting a weak midfield wasn't the best thing to do,

I can see where you're coming from. He's always been more of a 'before the game' kind of manager in my eyes, hence continual sightings of him at other stadiums (even abroad) all the time. I've yet to be impressed by anything he's done in a game but this season he has taken it to another level at United.

He's more of a Hodgson than a Rodgers. One manager showed improvement and had character while the other said and did all the wrong things. One had a defeatist attitude (I hope we don't get thrashed by a team bottom of the league!) while the other (ludicrously I must admit) said we could finish in the top two.

I'd start looking for a new Manager/backroom staff from this point on if I were the United hierarchy. What kind of manager spends that much money on an attacking midfielder to cross 81 times from the flanks.

Feb?

Liverpool - H (FA Cup)
United H
Sunderland - H

Stoke
Swansea
Spurs
Chelsea
City

That's our March but we could have 67 points before we even travel to Spurs if we win our other games.

But Bayern away is right in the middle! Arsenal will be under more pressure due to these upcoming fixtures if they don't come out of next week full of confidence.

The team performance against us was woeful but I'm really surprised, having watched Giroud a bit this/last season, that Wenger didn't go for a more mobile and technical striker.

GHG

Gold Member
It's not just around the pitch.
KuGsj.gif

They couldn't run anymore so they had to cross and cross, then cross some more.

Jesus hahaha. Van Persie's "prehistoric" comments make so much sense now. TBH I wouldn't be surprised if he's been feigning injury for the past few months to avoid having to take part in those shitty training sessions.

But doing what he does means MORE CROSSES.

I don't think it's fair to say that Kagawa never adapted. He looked pretty good in us 1st season whenever I saw him play. Moyes obviously doesn't like him for whatever reason. Maybe he's not good at crossing and doesn't listen to Moyes' instructions to cross all the time because it's not his game.

We should definitely put a bid in for him at the end of the season IMO. Rozza isn't getting any younger.

Lightning

Banned
But Bayern away is right in the middle! Arsenal will be under more pressure due to these upcoming fixtures if they don't come out of next week full of confidence.

The team performance against us was woeful but I'm really surprised, having watched Giroud a bit this/last season, that Wenger didn't go for a more mobile and technical striker.
After Blackburn last season, City this season I've heard this all before. Lose a match and its the end of the world, doom and gloom like our top 4 challenge last season. confidence can change over 1 game.

Low after Blackburn defeat and high beating Bayern away. Extremely fickle especially if Bayern hand us our ass at the Emirates again so don't care about the second leg.

GHG

Gold Member
After Blackburn last season, City this season I've heard this all before. Lose a match and its the end of the world, doom and gloom like our top 4 challenge last season. confidence can change over 1 game.

Low after Blackburn defeat and high beating Bayern away. Extremely fickle especially if Bayern hand us our ass at the Emirates again so don't care about the second leg.

The Man United game is going to be a real test for us mentally. It's either gonna be sink or swim. I hope the players go out there fired up with the mentality that we should take them to the cleaners and absolutely turn them over. They need to show some fight. This is no time for losers.

subtles

Haha. I wasn't talking about the players, more the fans and press. If they do badly in the upcoming fixtures I wouldn't want to see what the reactions will be like.

I still remember that poisonous opening period...

Lightning

Banned
Haha. I wasn't talking about the players, more the fans and press. If they do badly in the upcoming fixtures I wouldn't want to see what the reactions will be like.

I still remember that poisonous opening period...
You should watch the Bayern press conference from last season it's a beauty if you like wenger meltdowns.

Fans are fickle. As soon as we win they change. They booed the team against Aston Villa when we lost but made all the noise when we beat Spurs with the same team.

Press are irrelevant. Look at what they are doing now, you'd think we were just relegated.

Salazar

Moyes needs something against Arsenal.

And I'm sure the thinking goes "they're a big club - difficult to take the points - no guarantees" and so on, but if you play in a cataclysmically embarrassing way against Fulham, you've got to eat that pressure.

subtles

You should watch the Bayern press conference from last season it's a beauty if you like wenger meltdowns.

Fans are fickle. As soon as we win they change. They booed the team against Aston Villa when we lost but made all the noise when we beat Spurs with the same team.

Press are irrelevant. Look at what they are doing now, you'd think we were just relegated.

"I don't know where information comes from."

The intensity in his words, the focus in his eyes.

"Why do you look at me?"

"Thank You."

I can't believe I haven't seen this earlier.

Lightning

Banned
Moyes needs something against Arsenal.

And I'm sure the thinking goes "they're a big club - difficult to take the points - no guarantees" and so on, but if you play in a cataclysmically embarrassing way against Fulham, you've got to eat that pressure.
Your crosses against us will provide a feast we don't bother marking players.

Lightning

Banned
"I don't know where information comes from."

The intensity in his words, the focus in his eyes.

"Why do you look at me?"

"Thank You."

I can't believe I haven't seen this earlier.
"can we get questions on tomorrow's game? That will be very nice"

"I don't want to talk about Bayern Munich today"

"thank you very much for that question. Been a long time I didn't answer it"

So many beauties in that conference

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Ozil

Mata

this is why I was raging when we bought Diego (admittedly not even close to their class)

Playmakers are so expensive, and you hardly feel their effect on the pitch if your team is filled with holes and you don't play to their strengths.

Diego was Draxler/Gotze-like with Werder Bremen and look at him now. ;_;

Lightning

Banned
Ozil

Mata

this is why I was raging when we bought Diego (admittedly not even close to their class)

Playmakers are so expensive, and you hardly feel their effect on the pitch if your team is filled with holes and you don't play to their strengths.

So much for Guarin's threat not to play anymore for Inter. Started in the win along with Hernanes. Good result.

subtles

"can we get questions on tomorrow's game? That will be very nice"

"I don't want to talk about Bayern Munich today"

"thank you very much for that question. Been a long time I didn't answer it"

So many beauties in that conference

The golden lines make everything he says, even the lines as simple as "I trust our quality", hilarious.

Ozil

Mata

I thought it's been brought up many times that Diego's attitude is terrible? How true is that? If I'm not mistaken that was also one of the rumored reasons we didn't go in for him.

--------------------- RVP --------------------
Adnan ---- Rooney/Kagawa ---- Mata
---------- Carrick ------ Schneiderlin -----
Coentrao --- Jones --- Evans --- Rafael

Attacking, short passing, creative freedom and plenty of pressing. I'll take the job now, Sal.

Seriously. Under a quality manager, that kind of team would definitely be a good shout for top four. All this talk of Moyes needing a super-massive spend to get decent results is ridiculous.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
So much for Guarin's threat not to play anymore for Inter. Started in the win along with Hernanes. Good result.

A win that feels like a defeat.

Winning 1-0 off a corner against the worst side in Italy.

at home

I thought it's been brought up many times that Diego's attitude is terrible? How true is that? If I'm not mistaken that was also one of the rumored reasons we didn't go in for him.

well he's Brazilian! :p

he criticised Ferrara publicly once :lol :lol

Lightning

Banned
A win that feels like a defeat.

Winning 1-0 off a corner against the worst side in Italy.

at home
Inter were all over them with Milito blowing a practical tap in because he got his feet tangled up.

The amount of chances Inter had that game should have been 4-0

Ashes

Banned
I can see where you're coming from. He's always been more of a 'before the game' kind of manager in my eyes, hence continual sightings of him at other stadiums (even abroad) all the time. I've yet to be impressed by anything he's done in a game but this season he has taken it to another level at United.

He's more of a Hodgson than a Rodgers. One manager showed improvement and had character while the other said and did all the wrong things. One had a defeatist attitude (I hope we don't get thrashed by a team bottom of the league!) while the other (ludicrously I must admit) said we could finish in the top two.

I'd start looking for a new Manager/backroom staff from this point on if I were the United hierarchy. What kind of manager spends that much money on an attacking midfielder to cross 81 times from the flanks.

To be fair to Moyes, he was playing all out attack [does Hodgson know that concept at all?]. Stats don't tell the story of course, considering Fulham just sat in front of their goal, but the scoreline sure does.

We were 0-1 down. We scored 2-1. That part was good.

What happened next was as bizarre as the rest of the match. What on earth we were doing not closing out the match but being so open to a counter attack, god only knows. Call it lack of concentration. Call it ill discipline. Call it bad coaching. But it was a soft goal again.

We really need to stop leaking such soft goals.

Manchester United would be happy about this!

Of course yes. The sad thing is I do remember periods like this during Fergie's rein where our central midfield was just devoid of any imagination. Thing with Fergie was that he just shut up shop. He didn't like losing two games in a row. In those times, we tended to just win three or four 1-0 games. Before form came back.

Conceding 2 from Fulham is pathetic.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Inter were all over them with Milito blowing a practical tap in because he got his feet tangled up.

The amount of chances Inter had that game should have been 4-0

still, it's Sassuolo. A side worse than Fulham.

as it stands. I can see them finishing below Verona, Parma, Torino, Lazio and possibly Milan. (11th give or take one spot)

To be fair to Moyes, he was playing all out attack [does Hodgson know that concept at all?]. Stats don't tell the story of course, considering Fulham just sat in front of their goal, but the scoreline sure does.

We were 0-1 down. We scored 2-1. That part was good.

What happened next was as bizarre as the rest of the match. What on earth we were doing not closing out the match but being so open to a counter attack, god only knows. Call it lack of concentration. Call it ill discipline. Call it bad coaching. But it was a soft goal again.

We really need to stop leaking such soft goals.

I'm not worried about the defense and this shit defending. You can fix that. What worries me is his attacking plan. He has Mata, RVP, and Rooney at his disposal and he wants them to cross at every opportunity. I just don't understand how anyone can think that method can bring the best out of them.

The shit defending cost us the 3 points, but you can point to the attack being so inept that it allowed Fulham a chance to be in the game.

Moyes is giving me a migraine.

GHG

Gold Member
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKC9KdBCgW4

YES MOYES.

The 0:42 second mark is criminal though. Mata on the ball in a central channel and he attempts to cross the ball when Rafael is in a great position to his right for some kind of passing exchange to advance. Crossing the ball from central areas. Its mind boggling.

Sad thing is he will probably beat us using this very method on Wednesday...

Lightning

Banned
still, it's Sassuolo. A side worse than Fulham.

as it stands. I can see them finishing below Verona, Parma, Torino, Lazio and possibly Milan. (11th give or take one spot)
But 3 points is 3 points.You don't get a bonus point for 5 goals so it's still a good win. A commanding performance everywhere except the scoreboard but got enough.

GHG

Gold Member
Meulensteen spoke to the Telegraph about his meetings with Moyes before his departure: 'I felt very strongly that the picture painted to us (by the club) was not the one that came out of the meetings with Moyes.

'I said to him: "David, with all due respect, you've done a fantastic job in the Premier League with Everton but do you realise you're going from a yacht to a cruise ship?" Ferguson, the captain, had a good crew with people like me.

'David didn't understand that. he wanted familiar faces. It saddened me leaving.'

One word springs to mind after reading that...
Titanic

Ashes

Banned
I'm not worried about the defense and this shit defending. You can fix that. What worries me is his attacking plan. He has Mata, RVP, and Rooney at his disposal and he wants them to cross at every opportunity. I just don't understand how anyone can think that method can bring the best out of them.

The shit defending cost us the 3 points, but you can point to the attack being so inept that it allowed Fulham a chance to be in the game.

I don't think it's all about player positions though. 31 shots with 9 on target, never mind how many actual chances we created against a parked bus. That's pretty fucking good all things considered.

That Utd defense had to protect their goal three times in 94 minutes. Fulham scored two soft goals. And ought really have scored their third too. That's appalling, don't you think?

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
But 3 points is 3 points.You don't get a bonus point for 5 goals so it's still a good win. A commanding performance everywhere except the scoreboard but got enough.

Their second win in 11 games and probably their last till April. Fiorentina, Roma, Luca Toni, HGH Torino and German Denis are next!

Lightning pls accept their permanent status as a mid-table team <3

Lightning

Banned
Their second win in 11 games and probably their last till April. Fiorentina, Roma, Luca Toni, HGH Torino and German Denis are next!

Lightning pls accept their permanent status as a mid-table team <3
Fiorentina can suck it, Roma lol couldn't score against Lazio, Torino lol if we can keep 11 players this time. No problem that group of games.

Feb?

Liverpool - H (FA Cup)
United H
Sunderland - H

Stoke
Swansea
Spurs
Chelsea
City

I try to be optomistic as much as possible. But, this team needs confidence. Man Utd always need to be respected. It is important that we put in a great performance as well as getting a win on Wednesday. If we get beat then this team could collapse mentally and get knocked out of the FA Cup and then there is Bayern.

It really is make or break for us this month. We could either still be in three comps or we could be out of everything and in 4th.

I don't think it's all about player positions though. 31 shots with 9 on target, never mind how many actual chances we created against a parked bus. That's pretty fucking good all things considered.

That Utd defense had to protect their goal three times in 94 minutes. Fulham scored two soft goals. And ought really have scored their third too. That's appalling, don't you think?

It's not the player positions. You can have Mata or Kagawa out wide and they can be effective provided they have the right style of football instilled in the team. This is why you see Kagawa on the left for Japan playing well and kagawa playing shit for United. Crossing over and over again is not going to get the best out of Rooney, RVP, or Mata. It will never happen.

The defense was bad, but you can point to Vidic being dumb and trying to pass it off to Carrick instead of just clearing it. Again, that was a short term negative. What's not a short term negative is the shit tactics. The attack has been shit the entire season and there are no signs of it changing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom