• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 13/14 |OT14| Juan Flew Into The Slug's Nest

Status
Not open for further replies.

Feorax

I see Rodgers has promoted Texiera to the first team squad.

If he's playing backup to Coutinho in this new deep playmaker role, then we might as well sell Alberto in the summer.

Wilbur

Banned
Sammer is too hilarious, he's like our angry mascot. No way.

Moyes might've been a good idea on paper, but it's clear he might simply not be the right man. There are talented trainers available, even if in some cases (Thomas Schaaf) their best times are behind them.

There is genuinely not a chance we will be going for Thomas Schaaf. Here's what we do.

Either:

a) we sack Moyes at the end of the season and throw a lot of money Klopp's way. He turns us down, and we're forced to make Giggs our manager.

or

b) when Pep gets bored of Bayern like he did Barca he'll come to us for a real challenge

Meier

If only they gave the youth signings a chance, like City with their proud Rodwell performances.

If he could have just stayed healthy for any decent amount of time, I think he could have been a very good player for us. It's clear though that at this point he's been written off. I would be surprised if he wasn't sold in the summer.

Isco really did make a very clear mistake in not following Pellegrini but it is what it is. Nasri has had quite a renaissance and that obviously wouldn't have happened if Isco had come, so there is a silver lining. Hope he can play again soon.

Wilbur

Banned
Because it's more fun to call him Michelle. And it's like going from Wilbury to wilbur.

KX3dCnl.png
look i have explained my reasons numerous times its not my fault danish elementary schools don't teach spelling

K1LLER7

There is genuinely not a chance we will be going for Thomas Schaaf. Here's what we do.

Either:

a) we sack Moyes at the end of the season and throw a lot of money Klopp's way. He turns us down, and we're forced to make Giggs our manager.

or

b) when Pep gets bored of Bayern like he did Barca he'll come to us for a real challenge

or

c) Nothing will change and we'll turn into Liverpool 2.0....

crying-oklahoma-state-player-sports-crying-gifs.gif

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
Why can no one in this fucking thread spell Demichelis
He's too shitty to bother.

I don't follow the lockerroom and contract stuff as closely as you guys but why did City loan out Barry? Granted I haven't seen a lot of Everton matches but I never think "wow he's fucking putrid" when I've seen him, unlike Rodwell, Garcia, and Demishitty.

Barzul

Don't worry. Wenger will be gone to PSG in the summer to be their new director.

I just hope we make a move for Simeone. Passionate and full of ambition. Hopefully he doesn't mind dropping down a level to come to us. Might be able to bring Costa with him.

You were serious here?

Wilbur

Banned

I don't follow the lockerroom and contract stuff as closely as you guys but why did City loan out Barry? Granted I haven't seen a lot of Everton matches but I never think "wow he's fucking putrid" when I've seen him, unlike Rodwell, Garcia, and Demishitty.

old/slow/not a glamorous enough name/high wages

I don't know. He's been superb at Everton, but he was always going to sit on the bench at City. Think he wanted out to be honest.

Not sure actually.

They wanted his wages off the bill, but Pellegrini surely had an idea that he didn't fancy Garcia or Rodwell at that stage. He'd be a distant second to Fernandinho, but he shits all over the other 2 and Demechellis

4 innit? 10/11, 11/12, 12/13, 13/14

Still far too much, but considering what happened with City around that time, someone had to drop out. It's worse they went down to 7th instead of just dropping to 5th.

The worst thing is, after 08/09, I made us favourites for the league in 09/10. Then we lost Alonso, replaced him with a man made out of twiglets with a broken immune system, and everything went wrong :(

Taken a fucking long time to start seeing the green shoots of recovery

Wilbur

Banned
The worst thing is, after 08/09, I made us favourites for the league in 09/10. Then we lost Alonso, replaced him with a man made out of twiglets with a broken immune system, and everything went wrong :(

Taken a fucking long time to start seeing the green shoots of recovery

Still confuses me, considering five years later Alonso is still brilliant, why Benitez wanted him out.

Still confuses me, considering five years later Alonso is still brilliant, why Benitez wanted him out.

He was disappointing in 06/07 and 07/08 (few injuries, granted), and he and Rafa had a massive argument when Alonso missed the second leg against Inter at the San Siro to attend the birth of his son. Rafa's expectations of his player's priorites seem to be all kinds of fucked up and influenced by his own obsession with work, and ultimately it cost him his relationship with Xabi, who was basically one of our captains. Arsenal could have had him for £14m in summer 2008 but wouldn't go over 12, then Alonso had an incredible, incredible season in 08/09, but had already made the decision to leave.

I hope Rafa tried convincing him to stay, but I can well see him being too stubborn to even pretend that he thought he was in the wrong. We had such a good midfield back then :(

Clegg

He was disappointing in 06/07 and 07/08 (few injuries, granted), and he and Rafa had a massive argument when Alonso missed the second leg against Inter at the San Siro to attend the birth of his son. Rafa's expectations of his player's priorites seem to be all kinds of fucked up and influenced by his own obsession with work, and ultimately it cost him his relationship with Xabi, who was basically one of our captains. Arsenal could have had him for £14m in summer 2008 but wouldn't go over 12, then Alonso had an incredible, incredible season in 08/09, but had already made the decision to leave.

I hope Rafa tried convincing him to stay, but I can well see him being too stubborn to even pretend that he thought he was in the wrong. We had such a good midfield back then :(

Because he's a muppet.

bjaelke

D4zUSHA.jpg

4 innit? 10/11, 11/12, 12/13, 13/14

Still far too much, but considering what happened with City around that time, someone had to drop out. It's worse they went down to 7th instead of just dropping to 5th.

14/15 when you win the CL and take our spot.

Meier

I think it was because he's older and essentially at or past his peak. The team surely hoped Rodwell would be healthy this year and would continue to improve on his performances when he was healthy last year. He can operate in a role that is similar to Fernandinho -- truly box to box. Javi Garcia was pretty awful to start the season and mostly average last year so he was kind of "unmovable" as he surely got a pay raise when moving from Benfica. I think most fans would have absolutely preferred we keep Barry and loan out Garcia but it probably just wasn't feasible.

He's been fantastic for them which is nice to see.

Walshy

Imagine that midfield in it's prime behind our current attack.

Mascherano - Alonso
Gerrard
Sterling - Sturridge - Suarez

Orgasmic.

D4zUSHA.jpg

14/15 when you win the CL and take our spot.

:lol

No chance whatsoever that Hodgson plays a midfield without having an auxillary CM basically sit next to Gerrard. No chance that Rooney isn't the spearhead either, even though I don't think he threatens enough when he does it for England (albeit with a decent scoring record)

Feorax

Haven't WBA produced some upsets this season against the top 7 teams?

I think only City are still able to take the full 6 points from them this season.

WBA were dicked over at the Bridge and should have won. Still expecting a Chelsea win though.

Wes

venison crêpe
Can't take it back now! I do agree you're playing really poorly but it has to change sometime, right? Agbonlahor will come good today.

Well we play better away, but even so it all depends on if Vlaar plays or not. I'm not sure if he's fit again.

Elchele

Wilbury, all Manchester United needs is a good coach

Valencia, Barcelona, Atlético Madrid are already there

just embrace the argentine superiority.

Too much optimism surrounding Liverpool after that historic win over Arsenal. Now's the time to fly low.

While they could still fail to qualify for CL, I think is fair to say Liverpool are playing some nice football. For me, that's enough to feel good about my team

The win against Arsenal surely was a huge boost of confidence, but I don't think anyone should see it as a way to measure the superiority or the level of Liverpool. They would be kidding themselves.

L1NETT

I'd put Shaw on the right. Yes, that's how bad I think English right backs are at the moment.

Clyne/Chambers/Flannagan? (Big andre lol)

Shaw on the right? Lordy lordy no.

Flanagan still makes rookie mistakes. Chambers and Clyne haven't played enough and lack the experience (imo).

Call me insane, but I'd rather play a right back at right back.

And you say they lack the play time...so you would pick a player who has 0 mins in that position.

Interesting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom