• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 13/14 |OT14| Juan Flew Into The Slug's Nest

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wilbur

Banned
Wilbury, all Manchester United needs is a good coach

Valencia, Barcelona, Atlético Madrid are already there

just embrace the argentine superiority.

While they could still fail to qualify for CL, I think is fair to say Liverpool are playing some nice football. For me, that's enough to feel good about my team

The win against Arsenal surely was a huge boost of confidence, but I don't think anyone should see it as a way to measure the superiority or the level of Liverpool. They would be kidding themselves.

Maybe we can entice Argel Fucks

Draconian

I keep forgetting House of Cards comes out on Friday. It's gonna be an awesome week.

10yYfSv.gif

Blablurn

"My family has a long-standing history of glory hunting" is an improvement over those who recently jumped on?

I don't kow you, and since I don't know who you are, I also don't know which club you support. But let me make sure. Even though I don't know which club you support, I'm sure they are definitely one of the worst out there in Europe*.

*This rule does not apply to the Italian beauty that is Juventus Turin. If you support Juventus Turin you might be wrong in your opinion right now, but at least you support a fantastic team.

Yen

I always thought someone like Van Gaal, Hiddink, Capello would take the United job after Ferguson. You know, experienced, disciplined, commands respect, scary as feck. But hopefully Moyes is given time. How can he carry out his vision in less than 6 years? It took Ferguson that long to win a trophy, innit.

Because my dad raised me to become a bayern fan. Supporting them since a long time. When Dortmund was a two times champion in the 90s.

Fair enough then. You've always been the biggest German club though in living memory, right? It'd be impossible for anyone to start supporting Bayern without a hint of glory-hunting unless they live close to the club.

Even supporting them because of your Dad, at some point, somewhere along the lineage of the Blablurn family tree showing how support has passed on, one of them probably started supporting Bayern because they were successful :p

Elchele

I always thought someone like Van Gaal, Hiddink, Capello would take the United job after Ferguson. You know, experienced, disciplined, commands respect, scary as feck. But hopefully Moyes is given time. How can he carry out his vision in less than 6 years? It took Ferguson that long to win a trophy, innit.

A Manchester United player would have been the obvious choice to replace Fergie. Someone like Scholes or Giggs.

Don't know why everyone is still looking for old names like Capello and van Gaal. While van Gaal would be a good short term option, the long term solution must be a young coach with huge potential.

Wilbury, all Manchester United needs is a good coach

Valencia, Barcelona, Atlético Madrid are already there

just embrace the argentine superiority.

While they could still fail to qualify for CL, I think is fair to say Liverpool are playing some nice football. For me, that's enough to feel good about my team

The win against Arsenal surely was a huge boost of confidence, but I don't think anyone should see it as a way to measure the superiority or the level of Liverpool. They would be kidding themselves.

Argentine superiority pls. La liga is gonna be won by an Italian.

If you want success you go with Italians. Even Di Matteo could win the Champions League.

Yen

Guys, don't even bother considering other right backs. Chambers and Flanagan may have impressed this season, but England are overloaded with top class right back talent - Johnson, Walker, Jones, Smalling.

Mastadon

Banned
Whilst we're on the topic, I have a bit of a dilemma. Obviously I support Liverpool, having been born there. I now live in Leicester, and have done for several years.

Do I encourage my son to support Liverpool because I do, or Leicester because he lives there?

Wilbur

Banned
A Manchester United player would have been the obvious choice to replace Fergie. Someone like Scholes or Giggs.

Don't know why everyone is still looking for old names like Capello and van Gaal. While van Gaal would be a good short term option, the long term solution must be a young coach with huge potential.

Why? They've shown nothing to say they can manage at this level.

Whilst we're on the topic, I have a bit of a dilemma. Obviously I support Liverpool, having been born there. I now live in Leicester, and have done for several years.

Do I encourage my son to support Liverpool because I do, or Leicester because he lives there?

Neither. You show him Yorke and Cole videos and tell him to support
Blackburn

L1NETT

Guys, don't even bother considering other right backs. Chambers and Flanagan may have impressed this season, but England are overloaded with top class right back talent - Johnson, Walker, Jones, Smalling.

Haha gave me a good chuckle that, ta.

---

Right then bring it on Carlisle. Fans who are going are absolute warriors. Win today or I am getting trashed.

I think the board thought Moyes occupied the specifics they were after

Reputation for long term management
Not too inexperienced
Not too old
Not too expensive

Think they completely underestimated the likelihood of Moyes struggling to adapt to different players, different expectations, different tactics from the opposition and a fuck-tonne more pressure

Blablurn

Fair enough then. You've always been the biggest German club though in living memory, right? It'd be impossible for anyone to start supporting Bayern without a hint of glory-hunting unless they live close to the club.

Even supporting them because of your Dad, at some point, somewhere along the lineage of the Blablurn family tree showing how support has passed on, one of them probably started supporting Bayern because they were successful :p

I was too young to know they are record champions. One of my earliest memories about Bayern is that I cried because Dortmund became Champion in 96 lol.

Fergie didn't inherit a championship winning side, Moyes did.

Danchi

Tell him to ditch the tribal mentality. Take him to local games wherever he might live at that time. Encourage an interest in football as a whole. As a sport and as a piece of culture like music, film, or whatever.

Elchele

Why? They've shown nothing to say they can manage at this level.

They understand the philosophy of the club better than anyone else, they know the staff, management, players, infrastructure, etc. Someone from the inside is always better, obviously it was Fergie's fault to keep pushing them to continue playing instead of making them youth coaches/assistant coaches to start 'building' his replacement.

Or at least look for a young coach from the outside. For example Augsburg signed Markus Weinzierl, basically a nobody but he was the best of his promotion in his coach class. Now Augsburg are somehow in the medium-top part of the table, with a shit squad and no money and they play better football than 95% of the PL.

Basically signing someone promising, with potential. It could be bad at the start, but it will get better with time if he is actually good. But Moyes? he already reached his potential long ago in Everton, he is not going to get better

Wilbur

Banned
I remember having this conversation with Chriswok before, he was confused as to why I didn't support a local club, and then when I said my parents weren't into football, why I didn't go with friends' parents and whatnot.

And of course juanpablo

Supporting a football club just happens. Usually it is a local thing, but you just support whoever you support. I remember being ten or eleven and going to St James and being fickle and telling myself I'm going to be a Newcastle fan now. Then comes the weekend and I didn't give a fuck about Patrick Kluivert anymore and I was back screaming my head off when Ruud scored a goal. Your club picks you, really. Gets you under its spell and it doesn't really need to be explained. If you love your club, you love your club.

Wilbur

Banned
They understand the philosophy of the club better than anyone else, they know the staff, management, players, infrastructure, etc. Someone from the inside is always better, obviously it was Fergie's fault to keep pushing them to continue playing instead of making them youth coaches/assistant coaches to start 'building' his replacement.

Or at least look for a young coach from the outside. For example Augsburg signed Markus Weinzierl, basically a nobody but he was the best of his promotion in his coach class. Now Augsburg are somehow in the medium-top part of the table, with a shit squad and no money and they play better football than 95% of the PL.

Basically signing someone promising, with potential. It could be bad at the start, but it will get better with time if he is actually good. But Moyes? he already reached his potential long ago in Everton, he is not going to get better

The argument with Moyes was that he pushed a club with no money to a level fighting against clubs with lots of money, so what could he do with money. There's a little bit of revisionism going on saying he's definitely got no more potential; might be applicable now but I would have been hard pressed to find too many that actually knew about the Premier league (not that fucking ape G-Unit) that wouldn't have said Moyes wasn't a good coach, and didn't have the capacity to do a good job.

Giggs may well be a good choice, and he has the licenses, but until he shows something on the coaching side of things then it doesn't necessarily matter. Paolo Di Canio got top marks on his courses.

I remember having this conversation with Chriswok before, he was confused as to why I didn't support a local club, and then when I said my parents weren't into football, why I didn't go with friends' parents and whatnot.

And of course juanpablo

Supporting a football club just happens. Usually it is a local thing, but you just support whoever you support. I remember being ten or eleven and going to St James and being fickle and telling myself I'm going to be a Newcastle fan now. Then comes the weekend and I didn't give a fuck about Patrick Kluivert anymore and I was back screaming my head off when Ruud scored a goal. Your club picks you, really. Gets you under its spell and it doesn't really need to be explained. If you love your club, you love your club.

Yeah. My older brother kind of supported Aston Villa when I was like 6, so they came to mind when I thought about football, even though I couldn't have even recognised a goal if I saw one, but it left me with a strange liking of claret and blue :p

Then there was no football whatsoever in our family for another 6 years or so until my brother decided to support Arsenal. They're more local than Liverpool, but I wouldn't call them my local club. Reading are probably the most likely candidates if you rule out clubs below League 2, and fuck Reading.

Liverpool it is, and always will be, whether my reasons for supporting them make sense or not. I don't even mind glory-hunters as long as they don't pretend there's some other reason for their support, or change their loyalty at the drop of a hat.

Elchele

The argument with Moyes was that he pushed a club with no money to a level fighting against clubs with lots of money, so what could he do with money. There's a little bit of revisionism going on saying he's definitely got no more potential; might be applicable now but I would have been hard pressed to find too many that actually knew about the Premier league (not that fucking ape G-Unit) that wouldn't have said Moyes wasn't a good coach, and didn't have the capacity to do a good job.

Giggs may well be a good choice, and he has the licenses, but until he shows something on the coaching side of things then it doesn't necessarily matter. Paolo Di Canio got top marks on his courses.

I wasn't trying to say that Manchester United under Moyes will not get better, it surely will. But I don't think Moyes has that much to offer, at least I don't think he has what it takes to compete against the likes of Pellegrini, Mou or even Brendan Rodgers

Wilbur

Banned
I wasn't trying to say that Manchester United under Moyes will not get better, it surely will. But I don't think Moyes has that much to offer, at least I don't think he has what it takes to compete against the likes of Pellegrini, Mou or even Brendan Rodgers

I agree with you. I just think going for Giggs straight off the bat would have been an even poorer decision; there were some valid reasons for going for Moyes amidst 'he is Scottish' and 'his copper hair will make lamps unnecessary'.

What do you mean 'even Brendan Rodgers'?

B-Rod is GOAT. Never seen him play someone with a ponytail at DM, or gouge someone in the eye. Ergo, he's the best manager, in the best league, making him the best manager in the world.

Giggs would have been a crapshoot. About as reliable as buying strikers from the Eredivisie. Moyes was a known entity, which was important imo

Elchele

What do you mean 'even Brendan Rodgers'?

B-Rod is GOAT. Never seen him play someone with a ponytail at DM, or gouge someone in the eye. Ergo, he's the best manager, in the best league, making him the best manager in the world.

I think he has a lot of potential, but right now I wouldn't put him on the same level as Pellegrini or Mou. He still lacks experience. Wasn't trying to offend anyone

I think he has a lot of potential, but right now I wouldn't put him on the same level as Pellegrini or Mou. He still lacks experience. Wasn't trying to offend anyone

I was kidding :p
He has a long way to go to reach Pellegrini, and lightyears to even come close to reaching Mourinho, as much of a cunt as he is.

In terms of overall careers, Mou>Wenger>Pellegrini>Moyes>Rodgers=Martinez

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
as a self-respecting Juventino, I like shitting on Totti and his Scudettio collection from time to time

but deep down inside, I can't really hate the cunt

he'll forever be my favourite cunt in football.

FootballFan

right, football gaf meet up in March. I don't care if it is in Sheffield/London/where ever gets us the most people!

I am guessing weekends suit most people so we would have to find a day with only one good game or something so we can watch it in the pub and then play football before/after. I will buy a pitch for an hour or two depending on how many people say yes and what dates!

Meet up in NZ. I'll pay for all your flights with the $15m I inherited.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom