• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 13/14 |OT14| Juan Flew Into The Slug's Nest

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elchele

dont even get me started on the things we're going to do to 'Tony' Valencia when we play Ecuador

I really don't mind losing against France or the Swiss. But I don't want to lose against fucking Rueda's Ecuador. Fucking shit, he should have stayed with us :(

Cardiff claim they lost over £8.5m on signing of Andreas Cornelius

Cardiff have claimed that "imprudent and careless management" has cost them "in excess" of £8.5m over their signing of the Danish striker Andreas Cornelius.

Cardiff's chief executive Simon Lim criticised the transfer policies of the former manager Malky Mackay and Iain Moody, the former head of recruitment, in a statement Cardiff unexpectedly put out on Thursday.

Lim said the club effectively wrote off nearly £9m over Cornelius, who has returned to FC Copenhagen after just seven months in Wales.

The club-record signing Cornelius failed to score in South Wales and the statement said: "The key shareholders have made their dissatisfaction of such a huge loss known to the board of directors which they believe is due to imprudent and careless management undertaken by the previous football management."

Lim also praised the new manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's work in the January transfer window, saying: "Our shareholders have expressed their support and pleasure to the new management team."

He said the owner Vincent Tan was "encouraged by the work done by manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer in the January transfer window.

"Solskjaer was instrumental in attracting top professionals who have the experience and the willpower to make an immediate impact in the club's desire to maintain its Premier League status."

Lim said in the statement that Cardiff spent £6m on six permanent January recruits and the loan deal for Wilfried Zaha, and recouped £3m from player sales in the same period.

"This is good business for the club, where all participants were fully informed and an integral part of a process," said Lim.

"There has been a lot of press speculation on the loss incurred by the club due to sales. This unfortunately is true. We took the hard decision to incur these losses for the good of the club.

"To commit the club to a significant cost and liability over a five-year contract for one player is not prudent, especially as he was not to contribute to our success now, but was for the future."

He said that "in the case of Andreas Cornelius, who cost the club in total just under £10m, we realise a large loss in excess of £8.5m, inclusive of transfer fees, salaries, business and compensation paid to player's agents and other miscellaneous expenses".

Solskjær, who was appointed on a 12-month rolling contract after the sacking of his predecessor Malky Mackay, has won only once in the league, losing four and drawing one. Cardiff currently lie second from bottom, two points from safety.

They have at least enjoyed a good run in the FA Cup, where they have knocked out Newcastle and Bolton. They take on the holders Wigan in the fifth round at home on Saturday.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/feb/13/andreas-cornelius-cost-transfer-cardiff-malky-mackay
pnq4BEL.png

LegoArmo

Not sure Napoli will want to spend the money required for him, we'll sell him to the highest bidder though I think. The interview he gave after we sent him out had 'burned bridges' written all over it

In the end, there hasn't really been a huge upgrade with Mignolet, but he's much younger, so it was probably the right choice to make.

Having a solid back up wouldn't be a bad thing though, doubt either of them would be okay with that.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
The Gazzetta dello Sport are today reporting that the co-ownership of players in Serie A could be abolished.

According to the daily sports paper, meetings regarding the issue have already taken place between clubs with a view to bringing about the change by the summer of 2016.

Nevertheless, the new measure still needs the approval of the League and of the Italian Football Federation (FIGC), in order for it to proceed.

Bologna President Albano Guaraldi is one of those to state his opinion on the proposal.

“We will talk about it with the League, I wouldn’t be in agreement with it,” he has commented to Tuttomercato.web.

“Co-ownership is something that helps to develop players and to value them.

“It’s not certain that things that work well in other countries would also work well here.

“It could be reduced and limited, but there is no way it could be abolished within two years.

“The two year period mentioned is too short, that’s for sure.”

Atalanta director general Pierpaolo Marino also indicated a similar opinion.

“I’m against its abolition, I’ve already experienced a period like this,” he said. “There were so many disputes with private contracts.

“The transition period cannot only last two years. It should be between three and five if it goes ahead.”

Current statistics are that there are 164 co-ownership deals currently in place in Serie A, with 92 of those due to expire this coming summer.

Bold couldn't be stressed enough. A co-ownership guarantees they're going to develop the player because they'll receive MONEY for it and/or get the player in return. A loan? Who gives a shit, we ain't your training facility.

yurt pls you're oddmorseling the gif

it still oddmorsels me :lol :lol :lol

dc89

Whooooooo. Final obstacle passed. Manchester City Council have passed The Etihad expansion plans. It will go ahead.
47,670 to 62,170

My club is growing up :')

subtles

Attention everyone, please put Marcelo Bielsa, age 58, on suicide watch.

The man, nicknamed El Loco, is normally seen pacing the length of pitches mumbling to himself.

He was last seen spilling his coffee when his prodigal son, Vidal, began a professional relationship with the man that cost him his job.

The image, as taken by one his spies.

Wilbur

Banned
I said it the other day, but as much as I love Ole - and he has something about him obviously, did well with Molde and two of his four defeats were Old Trafford and Etihad - , but Mackay had them all fighting. Don't think the same spirit is there now.

I think they'll finish bottom and if Tan doesn't pull the plug and Ole stays, they have a good chance of coming back up.

Bold couldn't be stressed enough. A co-ownership guarantees they're going to develop the player because they'll receive MONEY for it and/or get the player in return. A loan? Who gives a shit, we ain't your training facility.

it still oddmorsels me :lol :lol :lol

Darn, you beat me to it. I was looking for an old Marcotti article, but it is behind The Times paywall.

I really like co-ownership too. Will be a great shame if it goes.

I said it the other day, but as much as I love Ole - and he has something about him obviously, did well with Molde and two of his four defeats were Old Trafford and Etihad - , but Mackay had them all fighting. Don't think the same spirit is there now.

I think they'll finish bottom and if Tan doesn't pull the plug and Ole stays, they have a good chance of coming back up.

He did alright with Molde. His first seasons were great (in a historically poor tippeliga) and then the last one was a bit of a disaster with the budget he had compared to the rest.

L1NETT

Titanfall's art direction looks ghastly.

COD 4 wasn't a work of art

If TF can replicate that same addictivness and feedback loop which made even the worst players feel like they were achieving summat it'll be great. And if it has that same simplicity that COD 4 had.

It's a competitive shooter, who cares that much about visuals. Let it be fun

COD 4 wasn't a work of art

If TF can replicate that same addictivness and feedback loop which made even the worst players feel like they were achieving summat it'll be great. And if it has that same simplicity that COD 4 had.

It's a competitive shooter, who cares that much about visuals. Let it be fun
CoD4 at least had a simple and clean look. Titanfall, and the other recents CoDs for that matter, certainly don't.

I DON'T LIKE FUN

Lightning

Banned
Every team in the PL are now in a top 4 scrap. Only Arsenal getting picked on, as per normal, but both City and Chelsea have also dropped 5 and 4 points respectively lately. It's not only Arsenal having an average February.

Sunderland, Stoke, Swansea are the perfect games to snap out of it and unless Arsenal drop points against teams in the lower half of the table we will be where we want to be in the end. Not with the PL, still think City will win that, but a successful season just the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom