• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 13/14 |OT15| smoking Top of the League cigars may cause Liver failure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Apparently so.

Major embarrassment for Barca.

iKkAltPpcFhj9.gif

Dude. You spent an entire summer talking about Ilara's price.

iKkAltPpcFhj9.gif

Clegg

RVP leaving United wouldn't be beyond the realm of possibility. But does nobody else think it's an bit presumptuous to say this "unexpected news" is about an Arsenal return. It could be anything.

It could even be a link to Castle's Sulia page therefore rendering the whole thing bullshit.

Wilbur

Banned
dc, City will mug off these barca flappers. BELIEVE!

Does Rooney even deserve to start if we ignore his name? I know he will definitely play but for me he shouldn't start and use an extra midfielder instead. Then again, I wouldn't play Gerrard either.

4-3-3:

Johnson/Ox - Studge - Sterling

Barkley - Ward-Prowse - Wilshere/Lallana

Fluid positions, swapping of flanks and such.... lots of pressure on the ball.

Or a 4-2-3-1 with similar players, hopefully start a lot of youth, don't expect it since its Hodgson and the FA need to make their money off Gerrard shirts or whoever.

So Rooney doesn't deserve to start, but Ox and Wilshere do? Hmm. I don't think Rooney's been great this year but he's ceratinly been better than both of them.

Messi

I like how Barca fans desperately try to justify Neymar's price every single week. Aren't you all bored already? Because I know we are.

You overpaid, and tried to hide it. End of.

edit: I like how I double posted.
A1YXKcN.gif
A1YXKcN.gif
A1YXKcN.gif
A1YXKcN.gif
A1YXKcN.gif
A1YXKcN.gif

like how you shit on barca every time they play? Its kind of sad

Marc

Against Liverpool. Before that we had the best defense in the league.

1 game doesn't erase the previous 24.

I think your midfield takes a lot of pressure off the defence, when they go missing against the better teams, you usually concede.

Lets put it this way, the likes of PSG and such are not coming in with big bids for your CB's any time soon. Organisation is a lot better with Bould in there though.

FootballFan

Grow the fuck up you dinosaur
KuGsj.gif

out in the open, yet your CEO resigned. Connect the dots.

57m or 100, still not worth it.

According to who? lol are you the judge of who is worthy.

Rather my club take the chance and pay 60m on a young potentially great player than secure a title by paying referees god knows how much Juve did.

I am the first to shit on crap deals we made like Chygrynskiy or Ibra for Eto'o + 50m. Neymar is nothing close to those, people just looking for reasons to hate a young talented player.

Clegg

If you have yet to play The Broken Age then pls play it.

It's absolutely gorgeous. The while thing oozes charm.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso

Rather my club take the chance and pay 60m on a young potentially great player than secure a title by paying referees god knows how much Juve did.

I am the first to shit on crap deals we made like Chygrynskiy or Ibra for Eto'o + 50m. Neymar is nothing close to those, people just looking for reasons to hate a young talented player.

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

again, not paying taxes is MUCH BIGGER than sport. It's not a sporting issue anymore, you're robbing the country. Stop defending this.

Lightning

Banned

lol

Kiraly

Great win for Madrid
Castilla
over those cheating fucks in El Clásico today, 3-1. Even down to 9 men we won.

wedward

I think your midfield takes a lot of pressure off the defence, when they go missing against the better teams, you usually concede.

Lets put it this way, the likes of PSG and such are not coming in with big bids for your CB's any time soon. Organisation is a lot better with Bould in there though.

Aside from spankings against Liverpool and Man City are record is pretty good against the bigger teams.

1 goal to united off a corner.
0 to Chelsea
0 to Tottenham
0 in our first game against Liverpool
2 to Napoli
1 to Dortmund

As it stands in the league we have conceded the second fewest. 26. 10 of those against Liverpool and City. We need another CB, but our pairing is currently the best in the league.

All teams are more likely to concede when their midfield doesn't show up.

Wilbur

Banned
Aside from spankings against Liverpool and Man City are record is pretty good against the bigger teams.

1 goal to united off a corner.
0 to Chelsea
0 to Tottenham
0 in our first game against Liverpool
2 to Napoli
1 to Dortmund

As it stands in the league we have conceded the second fewest. 26. 10 of those against Liverpool and City. We need another CB, but our pairing is currently the best in the league.

Eleven.

Marc

So Rooney doesn't deserve to start, but Ox and Wilshere do? Hmm. I don't think Rooney's been great this year but he's ceratinly been better than both of them.

For England? Yeah. Rooney has played well in which WC games? The other two haven't had their chance and blown it against sodding Algeria, and gone on to mug off the fans. Personally I wouldn't play with Ox or Wilshere, I would have them on the bench to come on and make an impact. Would like Lallana's ability to keep the ball and work hard to cover for others a bit, which Wilshere wouldn't do as well. Then again I would probably just say screw it and get a younger midfielder in and build long term. And Johnson is smarter with the usage of the ball usually, more likely to play the cuter pass so would play ahead of Ox. Although at his age and the role he plays this would be his only chance at a world cup so may be wasted there.

So to clarify, not talking about ability for club as much as shown ability for England with the idea of building toward the next world cup. As trying to get a winning team out of what is available at the moment is a waste of everybody's time.

Clegg

Have not been following the story?

Barca paid at least £10m to his dad in 2011 which is highly illegal. Now there's the suspicion that they paid a hell of a lot more.

Would Rossel have resigned if everything was above board?

Wilbur

Banned
For England? Yeah. Rooney has played well in which WC games? The other two haven't had their chance and blown it against sodding Algeria, and gone on to mug off the fans. Personally I wouldn't play with Ox or Wilshere, I would have them on the bench to come on and make an impact. Would like Lallana's ability to keep the ball and work hard to cover for others a bit, which Wilshere wouldn't do as well. Then again I would probably just say screw it and get a younger midfielder in and build long term. And Johnson is smarter with the usage of the ball usually, more likely to play the cuter pass so would play ahead of Ox. Although at his age and the role he plays this would be his only chance at a world cup so may be wasted there.

So to clarify, not talking about ability for club as much as shown ability for England with the idea of building toward the next world cup. As trying to get a winning team out of what is available at the moment is a waste of everybody's time.

Rooney is our best player though. He hasn't played well in World Cups because, one by one:

2006 - rushed back from injury
2010 - everyone was shit

He plays well enough through seasons, and is generally England's best player. Leaving him out because he's played poorly at World Cups before... you might as well just exclude everyone.

I'd play him up front by himself. Not in the hole, not as a second striker. All his best football has come when he's been up front by himself. Sturridge and Welbeck either side of him.

dc89

Lescott: "It's been great playing alongside him (Kompany) over the past 5 years. It's a shame it's going to come to an end this season."

Damn, it's quite possibly our best partnership at the back.

Yen

Look I don't know if you're trolling or senile, but surely you must realise something is up if you spend £109m* on someone and the selling club only receive £16m?
*I'm aware that includes wages.

Marc

God damn it.

15 against every other team is pretty damn good.

We will see with Bayern I guess. ;)

Its good but like I said, I don't think individually it is good if you get my meaning. They are well drilled and everything but in terms of being rated as the best in their position. None of them are getting in any top tens any time soon.

Yen

Get Meulensteen. HSV vs. Fulham. Meulensteen vs. Magath. M vs. M.

If HSV gets into 2nd Bundesliga I'll laugh. If they go into relegation and St. Pauli buries them I might never stop laughing.

Do St Pauli not have (abnormally) high attendances? How come they stay in the lower divisions?

jtb

Banned

Its good but like I said, I don't think individually it is good if you get my meaning. They are well drilled and everything but in terms of being rated as the best in their position. None of them are getting in any top tens any time soon.

eh, but that's the way it is for every good defense, especially at CB. It's about how the unit plays together (plus protection from midfield) so much more than individual talent. when people were talking about how good Pique and/or Puyol were in Barca's CL winning squads, how much of that was also due to Busquets covering them? etc.

Marc

Rooney is our best player though. He hasn't played well in World Cups because, one by one:

2006 - rushed back from injury
2010 - everyone was shit

He plays well enough through seasons, and is generally England's best player. Leaving him out because he's played poorly at World Cups before... you might as well just exclude everyone.

I'd play him up front by himself. Not in the hole, not as a second striker. All his best football has come when he's been up front by himself. Sturridge and Welbeck either side of him.

Every player gets rushed back from injury, especially if they are any good. Don't see Messi coming back shit because he rushed back. I don't think that is a valid excuse. In fact, Rooney always seemed to have a little purple patch when coming back from injuries. Might be wrong on that but always seemed to remember him coming back to score.

He was individually shit though, I don't disagree on the entire team being awful, but he was misplacing 5 yard passes, had the touch of a rapist covered in spikes... just terrible. Under no real pressure either. As for leaving everyone out, well, like I said.. I would. Clearly weren't up for it. Is anyone really expecting Gerrard to show up in his twilight, in sodding CM and boss it for England in humidity/heat? Terry has usually been very good for us, and Rio... but obviously not going to happen and shouldn't anyway IMO.

Sturridge is wasted out wide, and Welbeck is a waste of a position... no way should he be getting in the team unless there is some kind of plague. Although I like him to be fair, I just don't think he rises to pressure. Great in friendlies and shit games, not so much when it matters perhaps. Although he is young so that can change. Rooney deserved to have the team built around him, and did, and we played like shit. Chance missed. Management certainly played their part but fuck me has he been terrible regardless.

spidye

genuine question

what really happened to andres and sleepless

I'm out of the loop here since I can't visit this site as much as I used too

are they both permabanned?

Lightning

Banned

In general you are correct. We concede very few goals through the centre of the pitch, this is because our midfield shields the back 4 a lot and doesn't allow players to run at them. When our midfield doesn't work so well, our defense looks much more shaky and prone to conceding goals.

We will always be susceptible to counter attacks because of how we play with our fullbacks pushing up, usually Wilshere/Ramsey pushing up as well leaving in most cases only Arteta/Flamini and Merte and Kos to deal with the counter because our fullbacks are up field and as a result are vastly out numbered against quick counter attacking teams. Dortmund punished us for example for this, as did Aston Villa etc.

Depending how the games going is how good our defense is. For the most part it's been very solid because our midfield has been solid. When our midfield is not solid, the result is usually a Liverpool like result because we get stung with players out of position which was largely the problem against Liverpool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom