• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 13/14 |OT16| ''I tried to push him away with my head.''

Status
Not open for further replies.

jtb

Banned
Kevin Phillips is 110 and still banging in goals for Leicester. Drogba is 87 and Chelsea would still be better with him than their current strikers.

Huntelaar would be a very good signing for 15m I think. For Arsenal, that's nothing.

Drogba's done. Chelsea were right to part ways with him. Ba is good. Torres is Torres. but I'd say Eto'o is basically the same quality stop gap as Drogba, imo. and that's all any of them are, anyways; extremely short term solutions. 15m (or in Drogba's case, 200k/week or whatever his wages would be) is way too much for a short term solution.

up until this year, 15m was the highest transfer fee we had paid for any player. and Arshavin was pretty damn good when he first arrived. fuck Huntelaar.

wedward

Drogba's done. Chelsea were right to part ways with him. Ba is good. Torres is Torres. but I'd say Eto'o is basically the same quality stop gap as Drogba, imo. and that's all any of them are, anyways; extremely short term solutions. 15m (or in Drogba's case, 200k/week or whatever his wages would be) is way too much for a short term solution.

up until this year, 15m was the highest transfer fee we had paid for any player. and Arshavin was pretty damn good when he first arrived. fuck Huntelaar.

Huntelaar obviously isn't my first choice, but if it comes down to Huntelaar or another season of Le donkey, i'll take Huntelaar.

I pray it doesn't get to that point.

Remember that match when Huntelaar kept missing huge chances just for Vermalen to score an own goal, to qualify Copenhagen for their first Champions League ever? No you don't, but let me tell you, it was the best match in history. I got it saved on like 4 harddrives and a burnt out dvd so that I will never lose it.

We aren't even gonna be in it so fuck you

As it's going now, we probably won't either.

jtb

Banned
Huntelaar obviously isn't my first choice, but if it comes down to Huntelaar or another season of Le donkey, i'll take Huntelaar.

I pray it doesn't get to that point.

if it gets to that point, I'd rather just buy another wide player/attacking midfielder and shove Podolski up front. they've got similar strike rates in the Bundesliga anyways. or play Theo up front, who's probably the best finisher on the team right now, as inconsistent as he is.

So what are the chances Moyes damaging the Utd brand could have negative effects on potential new Kit deals? (As in, why should Nike suddenly pay more when you only get media exposition in domestic competitions)

And if not, how much money will Nike have to pay so we can afford Jagielka?

jtb

Banned
jtb you think Ba is better than Sturridge it's time for you to quit existence. Pls.

We aren't even gonna be in it so fuck you

Ba is a good player. he played very well at West Ham and Newcastle without a lot of support. also has a decent Bundesliga scoring record. he's certainly a better option than Huntelaar.

Where's my boy Linius, secretary of the Good Taste Club, to back me up?

Linius, the poster into everything Danish.
iblnXWVYG8f9QU.png

wedward

if it gets to that point, I'd rather just buy another wide player/attacking midfielder and shove Podolski up front. they've got similar strike rates in the Bundesliga anyways. or play Theo up front, who's probably the best finisher on the team right now, as inconsistent as he is.

Podolski is shit. I don't know how much more evidence you need of this.

Theo is also not very good up top.

I would rather have:

Cazorla Huntelaar Theo

Wilbur

Banned
Ba is a good player. he played very well at West Ham and Newcastle without a lot of support. also has a decent Bundesliga scoring record. he's certainly a better option than Huntelaar.

Ba is a decent player who works well when the game plan is 'kick the ball to Demba Ba'

bud

huntelaar is very much a donkey like giroud although the latter plays better one-touch football, and is more of a physical presence. huntelaar might score a few more goals, but i don't think he'd be an improvement, if at all.

also, he turns 31 this summer, has been very injury prone these past few seasons, and, more importantly, he's not physically attractive.

Thank god, Spartak choked and kept us in dat CL spot. Loko can win the league for all I care, at this point.

MULV88Y.png

Also, I believe in the Anzhi miracle.

wedward

huntelaar is very much a donkey like giroud although the latter plays better one-touch football, and is more of a physical presence. huntelaar might score a few more goals, but i don't think he'd be an improvement, if at all.

also, he turns 31 this summer, has been very injury prone these past few seasons, and, more importantly, he's not physically attractive.

The previous 3 seasons he played 35 games, 48 games and 35 games. I'll take that. He has scored 11 in 12 this season.

jtb

Banned
Podolski is shit. I don't know how much more evidence you need of this.

Theo is also not very good up top.

I would rather have:

Cazorla Huntelaar Theo

honestly, if we're choosing between Giroud, Huntelaar and Podolski up front, we should start consider Ozil/Ramsey playing false 9, shoving Mertesacker or Vermaelen up front, or just giving up entirely because these are all fucking horrible options

bud

The previous 3 seasons he played 35 games, 48 games and 35 games. I'll take that. He has scored 11 in 12 this season.

hm, that's a lot more than i thought. i could've sworn he was out for long periods of time due to a knee injury and other injuries.

still don't think arsenal should go for him, though. every time i see him playing in the dutch squad, he literally looks like a boat.

Wilbur

Banned
well, strikers need service in order to score. it's not Ba's fault he's very good at his job

No, he's only good when the game plan is kick the ball to Demba Ba. As in, hoof the fucking ball to Demba Ba. Newcastle did this. West Ham did this. Kyle Walker did this.

15 goals in 50 games in non-joke leagues. Pls understand.

:lol

To be fair you can't blame him for Madrid. 20 games all season and 8 goals, I'd venture a fair few were off the bench.

wedward

honestly, if we're choosing between Giroud, Huntelaar and Podolski up front, we should start consider Ozil/Ramsey playing false 9, shoving Mertesacker or Vermaelen up front, or just giving up entirely because these are all fucking horrible options

Calm down.

We are 1 point off the top and about to win the FA cup.

There is a lack of strikers in Europe.

jtb

Banned
No, he's only good when the game plan is kick the ball to Demba Ba. As in, hoof the fucking ball to Demba Ba. Newcastle did this. West Ham did this. Kyle Walker did this.

you make it sound like he's a Peter Crouch-type who's sole job on the pitch is to be taller than defenders. he's not even that tall and, anyways, he's a poacher; yes, that requires your teammates to pass the ball to you and for you to put the ball in the back of the net, the latter part Ba has proven very capable of. he's not Cisse; Ba can play football. and he's a good striker and a consistent finisher.

Newcastle played some decent football the season they finished 5th. I don't know why succeeding at a club and being a reliable, consistent goalscorer should be held against him.

Wilbur

Banned
you make it sound like he's a Peter Crouch-type who's sole job on the pitch is to be taller than defenders. he's not even that tall and, anyways, he's a poacher; yes, that requires your teammates to pass the ball to you and for you to put the ball in the back of the net, the latter part Ba has proven very capable of. he's not Cisse; Ba can play football. and he's a good striker and a consistent finisher.

Newcastle played some decent football the season they finished 5th. I don't know why succeeding at a club and being a reliable, consistent goalscorer should be held against him.

Ba did fuck all in the second half I that season though, didn't he?

I think he's a decent player who will never be good enough for the likes of Chelsea and yes, Arsenal. You really should be aiming higher.

jtb

Banned
the irony of the Birmingham cup final defeat was that it actually wasn't an example of Arsenal's mental fragility but rather their physical fragility. Cesc was injured for it, and the moment Van Persie went off injured and replaced him with Bendtner (or was it Chamakh...), you knew Arsenal were never going to score again because those two players were so good they masked the fact that the rest of the team was complete shit.

Ba did fuck all in the second half I that season though, didn't he?

I think he's a decent player who will never be good enough for the likes of Chelsea and yes, Arsenal. You really should be aiming higher.

Ba did fuck all the second half of that season because he was shoved out on the wing/playing as a support striker to make way for Cisse. was that incredibly stupid? yes. so blame Pardew. if anything, that season proves that he's best suited to playing that lone striker role in a 4-2-3-1/4-5-1/4-3-3/whatever that every team plays in Europe these days.

He's a good player. not a great player, but a good player. certainly a better option than anyone currently at Arsenal. harder to say about Chelsea because Chelsea seems to be a graveyard for the vast majority of strikers, and it takes a very particular type of player to succeed in that system.

he shits all over Huntelaar but that goes without saying.

Wilbur

Banned
the irony of the Birmingham cup final defeat was that it actually wasn't an example of Arsenal's mental fragility but rather their physical fragility. Cesc was injured for it, and the moment Van Persie went off injured and replaced him with Bendtner (or was it Chamakh...), you knew Arsenal were never going to score again because those two players were so good they masked the fact that the rest of the team was complete shit.

Ba did fuck all the second half of that season because he was shoved out on the wing/playing as a support striker to make way for Cisse. was that incredibly stupid? yes. so blame Pardew. if anything, that season proves that he's best suited to playing that lone striker role in a 4-2-3-1/4-5-1/4-3-3/whatever that every team plays in Europe these days.

He's a good player. not a great player, but a good player. certainly a better option than anyone currently at Arsenal. harder to say about Chelsea because Chelsea seems to be a graveyard for the vast majority of strikers, and it takes a very particular type of player to succeed in that system.

I don't believe that Ba has the skills to be the front man in Arsenal's attack. For all the shit Giroud gets, he's good at linking up with the players behind him. Ba's better peeling off the last man and scoring. Is that what you need? Probably. Is that necessarily how you play? No.

jtb

Banned
I don't believe that Ba has the skills to be the front man in Arsenal's attack. For all the shit Giroud gets, he's good at linking up with the players behind him. Ba's better peeling off the last man and scoring. Is that what you need? Probably. Is that necessarily how you play? No.

we have Ozil, who's probably the best player of through balls in Europe. if the system means we can't fully utilize Ba and our shiny new expensive signing, then the system is the problem.

Elchele

Shaqiri seems like a viable option too.

He's going on loan to Gladbach. sorry baby

Hertha could have leaked this.

:lol

Thank god, Spartak choked and kept us in dat CL spot. Loko can win the league for all I care, at this point.

MULV88Y.png

Also, I believe in the Anzhi miracle.

Looks like stopping the injection of oil money worked very well for Anzhi. Imagine when it happens to Chelsea, Man City, etc

Salvadora

Basically, like United fans and Moyes, anyone better than Giroud would make me relatively happy.

It would seriously make the world of difference.

ShogunX

we have Ozil, who's probably the best player of through balls in Europe. if the system means we can't fully utilize Ba and our shiny new expensive signing, then the system is the problem.

Did you copy and paste this from the Fifa 14 Ultimate team forums?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom