• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 13/14 |OT16| ''I tried to push him away with my head.''

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zabojnik

Sanderson's writing is middling but he has a great imagination. Comes up with interesting stories and builds compelling universes. I would recommend Way of Kings. But you nay want to hold off on it if waiting isnt your thing. Sanderson can knock out a decent novel in a relatively short period of time, but WoK is only the first book in a ten part series. Second book is due for release tomorrow. I reckon it's gonna take another 15 years before the series is finished even by his swift standards.

Goddamnit. I guess I'll pick something else for now.

Hixx

Alpha Protocol is fucking great but it's so broken and unpolished
KuGsj.gif

Hey Jupp, just a follow up on the FFP talk.

On Friday, UEFA announced that seventy-six clubs have been asked to submit additional financial information. While the list of clubs has not been made public yet, as first reported by Martyn Ziegler (and subsequently confirmed elsewhere), Chelsea is not on the list. As such, Chelsea has successfully complied with the financial fair play regulations and will not be facing any sanctions next season.

For those of us who have been following our FFP coverage over the past several months, the fact that Chelsea has complied with financial fair play should come as no surprise. As I wrote back in September, it is unlikely that Chelsea will ever have a problem complying with FFP. In fact, all the regulations do is cement Chelsea's place as one of the handful of clubs that are able to challenge for both domestic and European laurels year in and year out.

It is important to note that the January transfer window, and specifically the sales of Kevin de Bruyne and Juan Mata, had no bearing on Chelsea's FFP compliance during this first monitoring period. The first monitoring period covers the 2011-12 and 2012-13 financial accounts. The January transfer activity falls under the 2013-14 accounts.

While Chelsea did lose nearly £50m during the 2012-2013 financial year, FFP accounting is much different than the accounting submitted to Companies House. There are a number of write-offs that Chelsea will be able to utilise that will reduce their losses significantly for the purposes of FFP accounting (I will likely calculate an estimate of what Chelsea's 2012-13 FFP losses will be in the coming months).

While it is mandatory for Chelsea to reduce losses in 2013-14 to ensure that it remains complaint with FFP during the second monitoring period, the club will still be allowed around £38m in total losses over the 2011-12, 2012-13, and 2013-14 books. The additional revenue stemming from the new Premier League broadcasting deal (~£25m annual increase) and the new adidas deal (£10m annual increase) will bring in an additional £35m annually. When taking into account the increased broadcasting revenue from the club's participation in the Champions League and how the club has been able to successfully increase its commercial revenue, it becomes clear that Chelsea will generate significantly more revenue in 2013-14 than it has in any previous year.

Unfortunately, there have been several inaccurate reports in the media that mistakenly assume Chelsea sold Mata and de Bruyne out of financial necessity. Of course, when one takes a look at the numbers, it becomes clear that Chelsea's finances are in order. Further, it becomes easier to understand that the decision to sell de Bruyne and Mata was more about recognising the market value of these players, selling high on players that were surplus to requirements, and earning a considerable return on its initial investment as opposed to the misguided notion that the club had to sell assets in order to avoid FFP sanctions.

Now that we know Chelsea has nothing to worry about with regards to FFP, what does this mean for the other seventy-six clubs, some of which are in direct competition with Chelsea both domestically (Manchester City) and in Europe (PSG)?

Financial fair play expert Ed Thompson published a new piece last night in which he succinctly explains the new information UEFA provided. His article is truly a must-read for those interested in FFP, and I encourage you to follow him on Twitter, as he often provides great insights as developments unfold. Most notably, UEFA released an updated FFP timeline in their press packet, and it provides an excellent roadmap as to what we can expect in the coming months.

pW5DbTn.jpg

As the timeline shows, UEFA's Club Financial Control Body (CFCB) will render its investigatory decisions in late April and will decide on the more serious cases in mid-June. Clubs will then be allowed to appeal the decisions in the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS), and those decisions will be rendered before the start of the 2014-15 season.

As Thompson notes, UEFA has deferred the decision-making to the CFCB, which it holds out to be an independent panel. In theory, this would help insulate UEFA from legal challenges arising out of CFCB decisions, but it remains to be seen if a European court would define the CFCB as independent of UEFA.

Both PSG and Manchester City are thought to be on the list of seventy-six clubs. However, just because they're on the list doesn't mean that they will face sanctions. The list simply requires clubs to submit additional financial information, and it will be up to the CFCB to determine what, if any violations these clubs have committed.

PSG and Manchester City are not in the same boat with regards to possible sanctions. PSG will almost certainly face allegations of financial doping, while Manchester City's related-party transactions look much better in comparison with regards to fair value. PSG will almost certainly face sanctions and they will likely be far more serious than anything levied against Manchester City.

If and when PSG or any other club is hit with a sanction that will in any way affect its plans for the 2014-2015 season, said club will not only spend considerable resources challenging the decision via CAS, but it will also challenge the legality of FFP in the European courts and will claim hundreds of millions of sterling pounds in damages. UEFA is fully cognizant of this, and as such, will likely attempt to work with affected clubs on settlements.

For those of us who have been following FFP for years, the next few months will prove extremely interesting, and WAGNH will have you covered every step of the way.

http://weaintgotnohistory.sbnation....ea-complies-with-ffp-uefa-financial-fair-play

arkon

You know, I like Mark Kozelek as much as the next indie hipster, but sometimes he'd really benefit from working with a lyrics editor.

So you're telling me I should read The Way of Kings? I think Brandon Sanderson did a solid, if not spectacular job with finishing Wheel of Time, but I didn't find his writing to be particularly exciting. Then again, I just wanted to be done with WoT once and for all and mostly just skimmed through the last book.

That's pretty much how I would describe his writing. I tend to enjoy his books more for the worldbuilding and magic systems. I'm not too keen on some of his character work. He handles plot twists and mysteries quite well though. Puzzling out the answers to some of those are part of the fun with his books. So with a series like the Stormlight Archive that's part of the appeal for me. We're in on the ground floor of this massive series with lots of stuff to get answers to. I enjoy reading some of the speculation and debates on where things are going. Sometimes I even get involved in it

I probably wouldn't start with WoK though. Maybe something a bit shorter like Warbreaker or Mistborn: The Final Empire (it's the first book in a trilogy but works well as a standalone if you don't want to continue). I tend to like his shorter works more and my favourite so far is The Emperor's Soul. I think it's his best work.

The other thing is he has a strong work ethic and keeps people updated on his progress regularly. So jumping in on one of his series (even the longer ones) isn't as soul-crushing as waiting for the conclusion to aSoIaF

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Argentina Spurs ‏@ArgHotspur 2h
idk if you know, but Lamela returns to training on 5th

Hopefully true. Hopefully he does what Jovetic did recently (apart from re-injuring himself).

From the dusty May sun
Her looming shadow grows
Hidden in the branches of the poison creosote
She twines her spines up slowly
Towards the boiling sun
And when i touched her skin
My fingers ran with blood

I find the new serial killer in Hannibal really far fetched.
A grain silo full of bodies. I mean, how? The serial killer follows his victims home and then lures them into his trap by setting off their car alarms. Not very inconspicuous really.

Meier

A grain silo full of bodies. I mean, how? The serial killer follows his victims home and then lures them into his trap by setting off their car alarms. Not very inconspicuous really.

My thoughts on the spoiler:
I think it's pretty believable. In this day and age, more often than not the assumption is a car alarm going off is an accident rather than an actual threat. Most people ignore them from my experience.

Carbonox

Some of the end results of these killers are so absurd and yet so beautifully and creatively done that the sheer impossibility of them do not bother me in the slightest.

Edit: The method you're referring to isn't that farfetched IMO. Using that as your method is pretty simple and could easily be done.

Salvadora

I think it's pretty believable. In this day and age, more often than not the assumption is a car alarm going off is an accident rather than an actual threat. Most people ignore them from my experience.
Exactly.

I mean, seriously, how often do you really look at a mans shoes?

And their car is gone (and no bodies are found until now).

Oh yes, of course, I understand that. But wouldn't it makes it incredibly easy to track the car? You've got a location and time. All you need is traffic cameras in the area to follow the car. CSI that shit.

Some of the end results of these killers are so absurd and yet so beautifully and creatively done that the sheer impossibility of them do not bother me in the slightest.

Edit: The method you're referring to isn't that farfetched IMO. Using that as your method is pretty simple and could easily be done.

Ehh I'm not too bothered anyway.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Gonna try getting a shift swap for next Friday off. Yurt's gonna get invaded and molested
dPrJaGc.png
YES MOYES!

I'd do that to you Bacon <3 and hang you on my door by your perky tits.

:p yeaaah it doesn't make any sense but the side-stories are (mostly) filler anyway! It's all about Will and Hannibal.

FootballFan

New true detective ep was good.

Spoiler:
But that lawn mower guy lol

Almost reminds me of a scooby doo villain. Almost.

Salvadora

New true detective ep was good.

Spoiler:
But that lawn mower guy lol

Almost reminds me of a scooby doo villain. Almost.
Definitely.

Like I don't have a problem with the lawnmower guy being the villain (if he is), but that scene at the end felt out of place :lol.

FootballFan

True Detective spoilers

Definitely.

Like I don't have a problem with the lawnmower guy being the villain (if he is), but that scene at the end felt out of place :lol.

After the 2 cops drive away: "My family has been here for a long, long time.." pls. who is he talking to. that was so scooby doo-like lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom