• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 13/14 |OT16| ''I tried to push him away with my head.''

Status
Not open for further replies.

dc89

bg4tlbP.png

1JKFaiz.png

:loooooool

bud

"I won everything, with the team and individually. Ronaldo won nothing. I feel I had earned this award. It's all politics."
/​
1JKFaiz.png

Salvadora

I had a nightmare that Moyes was fired. I woke up and realized that David Moyes is still the manager of Manchester United.

I slept well.
The Daily Mail had an interview with Woodward:
‘I’m sorry, I’ve really got to take this,’ he said, as his BlackBerry lit up - and promptly pressed speaker phone by mistake.
The caller’s voice could be heard, perhaps about to reveal some trade secrets. An expression of panic spread across Woodward’s face. ‘Hold on, hold on, don’t speak, don’t speak,’ he gabbled and ran from the room, desperately punching the keyboard to kill the noise. As an assurance of business as usual at Old Trafford, exiting in the manner of a man whose trousers were on fire was not the most auspicious start.
You have to laugh.

These are great books but man they are descriptive as hell. Prepare to hang on through some reeeeeaaaalllllyyyyy tough passages.

Descriptive is fine for me as long the writing is good enough to support it.

The books are so big though that I worry I'll forget important information by the time I finish/start the next!

Meier

I don't see why how long they've been working on it is relevant. That doesn't affect the player.

Not sure the genre is really that important either. You reckon many people are buying South Park: The Stick of Truth because they like turn-based RPGs?

Because they've had a very long time to come up with the content if it's been in development for that long. It's not like this is something that was slapped together in a year. Matt and Trey write episodes and they're produced within a week or two -- it's not like they're not able to pump out a lot of stuff in 4 years. To answer your question, no I don't -- but this conversation is about expectations of length in an RPG. They exist due to precedent. If a game is an "RPG," it's pretty fair to expect it will take you at least 40 hours to complete.

wat

Meier pls.

There's plenty of short but awesome rpg's. Anyone expecting the writing quality of a south park episode with all that unique dialogue and scenarios for 30 hours are insane. Either way I got plenty of long ass rpg's to play right now, I'm happy with anything over 10 hours. If they stretched what is a comedy game like this out over 30 hours it would be horrible.

I don't know anything about the game and its scenarios and any unique dialogue. I do know that most RPG fans expect long, expansive games and I can see why someone who is an RPG fan would be less interested in a game that was short for the genre. I'm like 50 hours into Bravely Default and apparently halfway or something. I don't have the time to do that on PC these days, but with portables it's no problem.

Genuinely curious, do you have a recommendation of a short but awesome RPG?

Hixx

Yesterday was a fucking nightmare. From kick-off until they scored was the only part of the day that didn't suck.

Up at 3.45am, out for 4.30am. Got to the SoL at 4.55... it was fucking freezing with a chilling breeze. We got onto a bus at 6.25am. 90 minutes in the cold - woke me up but I was fuming. That was pretty bad. Trip down was fairly uneventful, got there for 12pm or so. Wembley is a fucking shithole. Take the stadium out of it and it's as bad as the worst places up here, it's fucking rancid. Travelled the length of England and it was by FAR the most depressing area of the lot.

Got off the bus, decided to look for somewhere to drink. Pointless - you couldn't get back down Wembley Way, absolutely jammed with SAFC. Crazy. Saw about 10 City fans up to this point - despite seeing a few of their SA coaches in with ours
wtzgU.gif

So we went in the stadium and up half a dozen escalators. All it was missing was a jingle for that authentic shopping mall experience. Get up on the concourse and what a fuck on. £2.20 for a 50cl bottle of water. £7 for a programme. £8 for a fucking burger! Bumped into Paul Thirlwell and Gordon Armstrong outside the toilets. Armstrong was before my time and Thirlwell did alright for us, smashed his skull towards the end of his time with us. Also there was this 70-odd year old steward directing maintenance staff or whatever to mop up spills and that - it was uncomfortable as fuck. All the 'head' stewards were white. All the cleaners/maintenance etc... none of them were. Rubbed me the wrong way anyway. Went for a piss and the stewards were mocking the stadium "welcome to one-toilet Wembley". They were good craic but £600m and there's one cubicle per toilet room.
KuGsj.gif

Eventually got to my seat - very back row, holy fuck I wanted to die once I got to it. View was fine, but getting there... needed an oxygen mask.

Had a great view of all the goals - Toure's was a fucking cross and no-one will convince me otherwise. That cunt Nasri's goal was good though. I wanted to take a hammer to Fletcher's face at the end, what a fucking cunt he is.

Lee Cattermole was the best player in the pitch. Suck on that, purists.

So after the match we get back on the coach and we get stuck in the coach park for over 2 hours. Coach first moved at 4.30pm - left after 6.30pm. They all get funneled out of a narrow exit and one coach's wing-mirror went through another's windshield.
e5YuU.gif

We got on the bus at 4.30pm and we got back in Sunderland at 2am. Nearly 10 hours on a coach. I wanted to die. Never going back down there on a coach.

My main memory will be that we may not have the best team but we have the best fans in the country. And I'm ok with that.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
what's going on with the goalie kit
looks like the last level in Super Super Hexagon
He looks like a loser to me, too. I think the whole point of that scene is that the antagonist you always thought was the mastermind behind this whole thing is actually just one thug in a group of sick degenerates who is probably only recognizable for being particularly brutal and because he doesn't wear a mask.

Yeah that's what I thought! Hmm
How dumb can you (they) be to do this stuff and not cover up your distinctive scars?

And he said his line because the two detectives cut him off like three times and then drove off.
But still :p

3AQmK.gif
I loved "Nothing grows in the right direction" loooooooooooool. TD's best line so far.
just let it go tonight.
all i want is you.
Yurt.
I'm no good, Bla. Nice boys don't play rock and roll </3

Yesterday was a fucking nightmare. From kick-off until they scored was the only part of the day that didn't suck.

Up at 3.45am, out for 4.30am. Got to the SoL at 4.55... it was fucking freezing with a chilling breeze. We got onto a bus at 6.25am. 90 minutes in the cold - woke me up but I was fuming. That was pretty bad. Trip down was fairly uneventful, got there for 12pm or so. Wembley is a fucking shithole. Take the stadium out of it and it's as bad as the worst places up here, it's fucking rancid. Travelled the length of England and it was by FAR the most depressing area of the lot.

Got off the bus, decided to look for somewhere to drink. Pointless - you couldn't get back down Wembley Way, absolutely jammed with SAFC. Crazy. Saw about 10 City fans up to this point - despite seeing a few of their SA coaches in with ours
wtzgU.gif

So we went in the stadium and up half a dozen escalators. All it was missing was a jingle for that authentic shopping mall experience. Get up on the concourse and what a fuck on. £2.20 for a 50cl bottle of water. £7 for a programme. £8 for a fucking burger! Bumped into Paul Thirlwell and Gordon Armstrong outside the toilets. Armstrong was before my time and Thirlwell did alright for us, smashed his skull towards the end of his time with us. Also there was this 70-odd year old steward directing maintenance staff or whatever to mop up spills and that - it was uncomfortable as fuck. All the 'head' stewards were white. All the cleaners/maintenance etc... none of them were. Rubbed me the wrong way anyway. Went for a piss and the stewards were mocking the stadium "welcome to one-toilet Wembley". They were good craic but £600m and there's one cubicle per toilet room.
KuGsj.gif

Eventually got to my seat - very back row, holy fuck I wanted to die once I got to it. View was fine, but getting there... needed an oxygen mask.

Had a great view of all the goals - Toure's was a fucking cross and no-one will convince me otherwise. That cunt Nasri's goal was good though. I wanted to take a hammer to Fletcher's face at the end, what a fucking cunt he is.

Lee Cattermole was the best player in the pitch. Suck on that, purists.

So after the match we get back on the coach and we get stuck in the coach park for over 2 hours. Coach first moved at 4.30pm - left after 6.30pm. They all get funneled out of a narrow exit and one coach's wing-mirror went through another's windshield.
e5YuU.gif

We got on the bus at 4.30pm and we got back in Sunderland at 2am. Nearly 10 hours on a coach. I wanted to die. Never going back down there on a coach.

My main memory will be that we may not have the best team but we have the best fans in the country. And I'm ok with that.

Why is Fletcher still playing? He's not much more of a goal threat than Altidore at the moment, and he provides even less than him in general play.

Your thoughts on Wembley as an area echo mine when we went a couple of years ago. Dingey, dirty, poorly thought-out shithole. Mismatch of cramped streets and buildings in varying states of disrepair, and bland expanses of concrete

I've heard that places like Peckham have actually had pretty successful renovations over the last 20 years or so, hopefully Wembley gets the same.

I don't know anything about the game and its scenarios and any unique dialogue. I do know that most RPG fans expect long, expansive games and I can see why someone who is an RPG fan would be less interested in a game that was short for the genre. I'm like 50 hours into Bravely Default and apparently halfway or something. I don't have the time to do that on PC these days, but with portables it's no problem.

Genuinely curious, do you have a recommendation of a short but awesome RPG?

Most RPG fans are weabo fucks that just want their exact same disgea game every year. They can fuck off.

For the last question, I finally recently finished Alpha Protocol which was fairly short. Certainly less than the 15 hours some guy in the SP thread said it took him to beat SP. Chrono Trigger took a little less than 20 hours for me. Oh and I loved Shadowrun Returns which was like 10.

But really, I don't even care to compare it to other games in the genre, I never looked to the SP game and wanted just another RPG. I wanted a south park game where there's none stop episode quality writing and dialouge in between battles. That seems to be what I'm getting. People with their standards of how long a RPG should be can fuck off for all I care, it's unreasonable to expect that and downright stupid if anyone thought it would be a 50 hour grindfest... and yes I'm also currently playing bravely default and loving that too. But I don't need the same game every time and there's more than enough of those RPG's for me to enjoy, mrgrgr.

Hixx

Why is Fletcher still playing? He's not much more of a goal threat than Altidore at the moment, and he provides even less than him in general play.

Your thoughts on Wembley as an area echo mine when we went a couple of years ago. Dingey, dirty, poorly thought-out shithole. Mismatch of cramped streets and buildings in varying states of disrepair, and bland expanses of concrete

I've heard that places like Peckham have actually had pretty successful renovations over the last 20 years or so, hopefully Wembley gets the same.

Even around the stadium the only new thing I noticed, ie wasn't there when I went to Wembley in 98, was a restaurant and bar over the road from it.

As for Fletcher... dunno. Personally I'd sell him before Altidore - or sell both and buy Borini who will never displace Sturridge or Suarez and won't want to sit on the bench.

3Sixty

I can't believe the area of Wembley hasn't been improved.

Then again there was a weird retail/flat complex there last time i went that wasn't there before. Had a sports direct in it... Says it all.

The Weatherspoons is a shit hole too.

Hixx

I was going to say Newcastle could have him for £5m when Remy fucks off but I remembered Newcastle don't buy footballers anymore
iZ53JYcGpsWZX.png

Meier

I think Fletcher has been worse than Altidore this season but that isn't saying much. Borini would be a good buy if they'll sell him permanently. He has a real engine even if he isn't terribly prolific (yet).

Most RPG fans are weabo fucks that just want their exact same disgea game every year. They can fuck off.

For the last question, I finally recently finished Alpha Protocol which was fairly short. Certainly less than the 15 hours some guy in the SP thread said it took him to beat SP. Chrono Trigger took a little less than 20 hours for me. Oh and I loved Shadowrun Returns which was like 10.

I got Alpha Protocol awhile ago on Steam but haven't played it. I liked the concept but I know it wasn't that well received. What'd you think about it? I just started The Banner Saga last night which is absurdly pretty. Didn't realize the devs are from here in Austin so that's cool.

We sacked him yet?

Also is Sol on the footballing cunt list yet?

-Wound down his contract to join local rivals for free when regarded as a hero, and having the ability to join any club he wanted
-Tried taking Portsmouth to court to get an extra 1 or £2m, when they were already facing liquidation and didn't have two pennies to rub together, even though he must have tens of millions in the bank

I'd say so.

Zabojnik

You know, I like Mark Kozelek as much as the next indie hipster, but sometimes he'd really benefit from working with a lyrics editor.

Been reading a lot of non fiction and textbooks recently and my brain is turning to mush. Luckily enough, 'Words of Radiance' is out tomorrow. Some proper sword and sorcery fantasy to rearrange things to a brighter, happier mush.

tor.com have been doing a re-read of the first book. It'll be a damn sight shorter than re-reading WoK.

http://www.tor.com/features/series/the-way-of-kings-reread-on-torcom

So you're telling me I should read The Way of Kings? I think Brandon Sanderson did a solid, if not spectacular job with finishing Wheel of Time, but I didn't find his writing to be particularly exciting. Then again, I just wanted to be done with WoT once and for all and mostly just skimmed through the last book.

I got Alpha Protocol awhile ago on Steam but haven't played it. I liked the concept but I know it wasn't that well received. What'd you think about it? I just started The Banner Saga last night which is absurdly pretty. Didn't realize the devs are from here in Austin so that's cool.

It was good when I finally figured out the hacking mini game. That took me way too long, but it's really is such an unusual RPG that it's well worth trying. The Banner Saga is certainly on my list, saw GB play it and it looked great. But as I just bought both a vita and 3ds recently I have too many RPG's to play for the moment really. Just persona 4 and bravely default is sucking all my gaming hours out of me, not to mentioned I got FF6 which I've never actually played more than a few hours of.

Clegg

You know, I like Mark Kozelek as much as the next indie hipster, but sometimes he'd really benefit from working with a lyrics editor.

So you're telling me I should read The Way of Kings? I think Brandon Sanderson did a solid, if not spectacular job with finishing Wheel of Time, but I didn't find his writing to be particularly exciting. Then again, I just wanted to be done with WoT once and for all and mostly just skimmed through the last book.
Sanderson's writing is middling but he has a great imagination. Comes up with interesting stories and builds compelling universes. I would recommend Way of Kings. But you nay want to hold off on it if waiting isnt your thing. Sanderson can knock out a decent novel in a relatively short period of time, but WoK is only the first book in a ten part series. Second book is due for release tomorrow. I reckon it's gonna take another 15 years before the series is finished even by his swift standards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom