• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 13/14 |OT17| I'm Spartacus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you really motivated by the financial costs of tuition fees, Hitch? I'm from N.I so mine are only in the £3,000 and something range, but it isn't like traditional debt or anything. You don't even have to pay it until you earn a certain amount.

I know it's unreasonable due to the way the repayment is spread out and dependent on your income, but I've got a kind of mental block. Like a nagging doubt at the back of my mind saying '3 years of university, and you'll have blown through all of the money you've saved over the last 5 and a half years on tuition fees alone'

Salazar

Quite lucky in Ireland tbh.

The govt subsidise your course so you only pay €3k a year. Of course if you go on to do a second degree 1-5 years after completing your first then you have to pay full fees of around 7k a year. Go back after five years though and you get subsidised again.

I paid nowt up front for 3 years of BA, nowt up front for a year of honours, nowt up front for a year and half of MA, and they paid me a small but ok fortnightly stipend through the Ph.D. scholarship.

I think I've got somewhere in the region of AU$36,000 owing, but it's drawn out of your income in a pretty innocuous way when you get to certain levels. If you stay in the country.

Walshy said:
was it worth doing any post-graduate study?

Coursework, yeah. Research will consume your soul.

Walshy

Speaking of Universities, I graduate in June from Uni of Liverpool, just wondering was it worth doing any post-graduate study?

I've saved up a fair bit in the intentions of doing one, but still is 50/50 on the idea and whether it would actually benefit me.

Meier

Their football empire begins.

Next stop, Manchester United.

lol imagine if in 10 years time Salford City are sitting above United in the leagues.

Think I read they need to get promoted 4 times to even get up to the Football League, so that'd be quite an accomplishment to say the least. :p

Elchele

Confirmed: The Nevilles, Scholes, Butt and Giggs have bought Salford City.

must be kind of sad to have your legendary players buying a club in the same city to (hopefully) compete with you in the future. Tells you how much Manchester United belongs to the players/fans

Paying Box Office fees for boxing is a mug's game. You do it for wrestling, and you know you're getting 3 hours of content. The quality is questionable, but 3 hours is 3 hours. Do it for boxing, and you leave yourself open to getting robbed by shite like Haye vs Harrison.

Quite lucky in Ireland tbh.

The govt subsidise your course so you only pay €3k a year. Of course if you go on to do a second degree 1-5 years after completing your first then you have to pay full fees of around 7k a year. Go back after five years though and you get subsidised again.

In Portugal, students only pay about 1200€ a year to go to university.

Salazar

Paying Box Office fees for boxing is a mug's game. You do it for wrestling, and you know you're getting 3 hours of content. The quality is questionable, but 3 hours is 3 hours. Do it for boxing, and you leave yourself open to getting robbed by shite like Haye vs Harrison.

The way Amir Khan is talking about his potential Floyd fight gives me the giggles and I don't even care a great deal about boxing. "Floyd needs me" and all that. Naaaah.

Salvadora

I know it's unreasonable due to the way the repayment is spread out and dependent on your income, but I've got a kind of mental block. Like a nagging doubt at the back of my mind saying '3 years of university, and you'll have blown through all of the money you've saved over the last 5 and a half years on tuition fees alone'
But you wouldn't have to, because iirc it just comes out of your paycheck like PAYE tax. At a very reasonable amount every month. Use your savings on getting drunk while at uni.

King_Moc

Banned
The way Amir Khan is talking about his potential Floyd fight gives me the giggles and I don't even care a great deal about boxing. "Floyd needs me" and all that. Naaaah.

But how will we truly know if Mayweather is one of the all time greats if he doesn't fight Amir Khan?

Think I read they need to get promoted 4 times to even get up to the Football League, so that'd be quite an accomplishment to say the least. :p

Well, those 10 years could also see United plummet to the Conference.

D:

I think the Villa game could be interesting. The fly past could be bloody hilarious.

But you wouldn't have to, because iirc it just comes out of your paycheck like PAYE tax. At a very reasonable amount every month. Use your savings on getting drunk while at uni.

I know, but its still money I've earned leaving my possession :p

I need a new ISA, HSBC is shit. Not even an easy way of finding out how much money you can put in it at any given moment.

The buildup to boxing matches is ridiculous. Just endless posturing and pretending to hate eachother to sell tickets. Froch and Groves have genuine beef though now, given the way the first match ended. Should be a good'un

Are you really motivated by the financial costs of tuition fees, Hitch? I'm from N.I so mine are only in the £3,000 and something range, but it isn't like traditional debt or anything. You don't even have to pay it until you earn a certain amount.
It is still significant thought. If you are, at a minimum, £20k in debt and more likely closer to £40k you are already on the back foot. It is manageable but it is still worth thinking seriously about, especially now that the rate of interest is not fixed.

I would say it all depends on what degree you want to get.

Speaking of Universities, I graduate in June from Uni of Liverpool, just wondering was it worth doing any post-graduate study?

I've saved up a fair bit in the intentions of doing one, but still is 50/50 on the idea and whether it would actually benefit me.
Depends what you want to go into really.

K1LLER7

Been thinking of this myself.

Not too sure though. Will probably wait a year before actually deciding. Read that it can help in business, but you don't get anywhere nowadays without experience :(

Salvadora

It is still significant thought. If you are, at a minimum, £20k in debt and more likely closer to £40k you are already on the back foot. It is manageable but it is still worth thinking seriously about, especially now that the rate of interest is not fixed.

I would say it all depends on what degree you want to get.

Depends what you want to go into really.
Aye, I suppose it's considerably different proposition for English students.

You're paying three times as much for the same service, really.

Meier

Hard to fathom going to college for that cheap and/or for free. How do they operate? Are they almost fully funded by the government/taxes?

FootballFan

I thought it was pretty funny Yurt posted this:

BUT LOOK

HE DIDN'T TOUCH HIS LEG

2411988_o.gif

Then in the next page, posts this:

Parma wanted a penalty for this

BjvbFS-CUAAUElN.jpg:large

and they're still bitching about it

Only difference between them is that there are no Serie A fans(or anyone that cares) to argue about that incident with him lol

Scum

Guardian:

Kaboul's contract is actually until 2015 but still, I think we should do it. Caulker is much better than Dawson and is only going to improve, he's ready to play regular league games for us.
Sure. Why not. Do everything to keep Vert if we can and send Dawson to the bench.

Hard to fathom going to college for that cheap and/or for free. How do they operate? Are they almost fully funded by the government/taxes?
The government funds about 15-20%

Students about 50%

Other sources 30-35%

Varies from uni to uni of course, somewhere like Oxbridge, the LSE or UCL will have a significant amount made up from donors and sponsors but that's the general average.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
I thought it was pretty funny Yurt posted this:

Then in the next page, posts this:

Only difference between them is that there are no Serie A fans(or anyone that cares) to argue about that incident with him lol

hahaha god what's wrong with you? It was a joke. He had his studs up, red card all day long.

Marchisio won the ball, not even the Italian media is complaining about it. OR WAIT, did you think that close up was Marchisio's boot? LOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

Eh, I love it here (and thankfully it's mutual for now). Pretty sure no one gives a shit about either your Barca or your posts to begin with.

arkon

I need a new ISA, HSBC is shit. Not even an easy way of finding out how much money you can put in it at any given moment.

The buildup to boxing matches is ridiculous. Just endless posturing and pretending to hate eachother to sell tickets. Froch and Groves have genuine beef though now, given the way the first match ended. Should be a good'un

You missed the boat, mate. Might as well look for a managerial position at Sainsbury's. Start touching faces Brendan-style.

Yen

The new Vice-Chancellor of my uni wants the cap on fees to be raised from £3.5k to £16k (I'm assuming £3.5k is still NI's cap).

It's cool to see ex-United players buying a small club.

Maybe ex-Liverpool players should follow suit and buy Everton.

jTIBGlP.jpg

FootballFan

hahaha god what's wrong with you? It was a joke. He had his studs up, red card all day long.

Marchisio won the ball, not even the Italian media is complaining about it. OR WAIT, did you think that close up was Marchisio's boot? LOOOOOOOOOOOOOL it was Scheletto!

Eh, I love it here. Pretty sure no one gives a shit about either your Barca or your posts to begin with.

I was just saying mate. I thought it was pretty funny because of how similar the 2 pictures looked side by side.

And I know you think the Pepe thing is a red, because your "LOOK HE DIDN'T TOUCH HIM" is obviously what Madrid fans were saying.

edit
I like it here too.

3Sixty

I just hated education full stop. I thought it would change when you got to college but nope people still treated you like children.

I never finished my A-Levels and doubt I would be anywhere different today if i did. Except maybe in some grotty student housing in Bristol or some other hell hole eating a tin of cold beans while trying to justify spending £30k on a Sports degree.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
I was just saying mate. I thought it was pretty funny because of how similar the 2 pictures looked side by side.

how are they similar, exactly? Walk me through it.

First picture: Pepe the Ripper with studs up. With no attempt to get the ball. Red card.

2nd picture: Marchisio winning the ball with one foot. And Schelotto (accidentally) stepped on him. Edit: That's OUR penalty box, btw.

And I know you think the Pepe thing is a red, because your "LOOK HE DIDN'T TOUCH HIM" is obviously what Madrid fans were saying.

THAT'S THE JOKE

I was referencing Madrid GAF. Go to sleep baby <3

Scum

Found a Halifax ISA for 18months, 2% the other day on Moneysupermarket. Seem bloody good. I'm just waiting for online banking details and I'll be transferring money quickly.

Can't we just agree that both Barca and Juve would not exist if there was a God?

There is a little Winston Bogarde in all of us.

Honestly I kind of admire footballers like him. They clearly realize they are not going to get that kind of money elsewhere and will just stay and enjoy the rest of their days.

wtf, how does that work?

That's nearly as much as I get paid, post-tax :s

Well this is before taxes... But yeah, high taxes makes it possible. I'm going abroad next year to study for half a year and looking at the options, could live pretty damn well at a few locations for the state money. Now just to assure myself I won't get killed living in some ghetto with Elsk in Argentina.

Zabojnik

Yurt's and Footballfan's feud is one of the best things ever. You can clearly see they HATE each other, but are smart enough not too take it too far. If this was a DS fight, they'd be circling each other endlessly, trying to backstab one another. So good. I love you both.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom