• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 13/14 |OT17| I'm Spartacus

Status
Not open for further replies.

3Sixty

I could probably forgive the ref for making the mistake in the fast paced intensity of it all.

But after Ox told him it was his handball to just carry on was amazing.

Hixx

Derby beating Forest 5-0 ho ho ho.

They hadn't scored in like 4 games prior to this iirc?

Would love if they could overhaul Burnley. We're just going to have to resign ourselves to QPR winning the playoffs.

10 point gap in 8 games... can't see it.

Forest are blowing it and I don't want Wigan or QPR to go back up. Wigan coz it will be a short away trip next season and QPR because they will financially implode :D

John Dunbar

correct about everything
only just noticed the draw for the next round of CL. if bayern's route to the final will be arsenal-manu-chelsea, then there is no justice in the world. premier league mugs.

I could probably forgive the ref for making the mistake in the fast paced intensity of it all.

He should have sent everyone away and given himself 30 seconds to think of any advantage that they could be trying to gain by pretending it was Ox. Then the logical conclusion would be that he was telling the truth and he'd look like a bit of an idiot instead of a complete twat

3Sixty

Derby beating Forest 5-0 ho ho ho.

McClaren for England?

He should have sent everyone away and given himself 30 seconds to think of any advantage that they could be trying to gain by pretending it was Ox. Then the logical conclusion would be that he was telling the truth and he'd look like a bit of an idiot instead of a complete twat

All those trips to the sunbeds fried his brain.

Feorax

To be fair, if I had to try and write Alex Oxlade Chamberlain in a notebook that small, I'd probably say "fuck it" and send off Gibbs too.

Wilbur

Banned
They hadn't scored in like 4 games prior to this iirc?

10 point gap in 8 games... can't see it.

Forest are blowing it and I don't want Wigan or QPR to go back up. Wigan coz it will be a short away trip next season and QPR because they will financially implode :D

Yeah I don't see it either. Hoping they come up; wouldn't mind Forest or Brighton either. Reading, QPR and Wigan all just went down so they can fuck off, let someone else have a go.

jtb

Banned
the midfield and full-backs; it's such a stupid, simple thing to fix. doesn't even need Flamini to play to solve that problem, just stop telling Sagna and Gibbs to recklessly charge forward when the world's flimsiest midfield is probably going to get pressured off the ball and walk straight into a 3 on 2 counter and concede a goal off the flanks. it's so simple Wenger's ACTUALLY FIXED IT BEFORE. we don't play like this at home, we didn't play like this against Dortmund away, etc. It's fucking infuriating. we know Arsenal can play compact and defensively, and get results while playing that way, so why doesn't Wenger set the team up like that in every single big game?

if we didn't have such a shit striker, maybe we wouldn't have to commit so many players forward? whatever. fuck giroud.

--

lol Flamini and Jenkinson on? might as well wave the white flag, I guess

King_Moc

Banned

I think there's some sort of remit for Ref's to just ignore everything the players say. I remember Robbie Fowler telling the ref when Liverpool were playing Arsenal that the penalty he had given Liverpool was wrong, and the Ref didn't change his mind.

I think there's some sort of remit for Ref's to just ignore everything the players say. I remember Robbie Fowler telling the ref when Liverpool were playing Arsenal that the penalty he had given Liverpool was wrong, and the Ref didn't change his mind.

Then he missed the penalty on purpose. Even though he hit it on target. And the keeper had to dive to save it.

jesalr

Was a deliberate handball on what looked like a goal scoring chance. Didn't leave them a choice.

The intend was there to deny a goal with his hand, he wouldn't have tried it when he knew it would go wide right. So red was expected.

He's made a deliberate attempt to cheat and stop the ball going in. Red card all day every day.

BjVaqEkIUAA_V_j.png

The intent doesn't matter. It was going wide, so it's not a red. He hasn't denied a goal. If he hadn't touched it, there is not chance a goal would have been scored.

The Llama

RT @FA: Clubs can appeal mistaken identity to The @FA, although The @FA can pro-actively review also. 1/2

RT @FA: Following a red card clubs can also review possibility of a wrongful dismissal claim to The @FA, unless dismissal is for 2 yellow cards 2/2

Well there's that, at least. Haha.

Wilbur

Banned
BjVaqEkIUAA_V_j.png

The intent doesn't matter. It was going wide, so it's not a red. He hasn't denied a goal.

Well, it would have been very hard for the ref and lino to see it was going wide from there. Ox didn't think it was going wide either. Justified red for his stupidity.

So can Flamini tbf :p

Wenger is such a bizarre manager

He's the one thing propping you up in 4th, yet he's also the man most responsible for you failing to mount a proper title challenge since what, 2004?

His blind spots are ludicrous, especially for someone of his experience. Something I've really liked about Rodgers is his willingness to discard his idea of perfect football to lessen the impact that our weak spots have.

If we're failing to keep hold of the ball and have the lead, drop back, ride our luck, see it through. If the other team is pressing high, put Sturridge on the shoulder and loft the ball over their defense. If we play ourselves into trouble, twat one down the line and give the strikers something to chase. If Skrtel and Toure are the centrebacks, play the line deep as fuck, especially with Mig's reluctance to leave his line.

Then there's the nuances of his formations based on opposition, like turning the 4-3-3 into a 4-4-2 diamond, putting 5 at the back when we expect to be threatened from crosses.

Where is the compromise from Wenger? The sacrifices made for the greater good? The safe options to make 1-0 a probability, rather than a 3-0 and a 0-3 being equally likely? Why is he sticking so resolutely by his philosophy when he's spent the last 3 years filling the team with personnel who are more likely to flourish in a different system? Why does he drop the idea of a pure DM so easily, when it's become such an important role especially in these season-defining games?

Wenger is an enigma.

Now for Rodgers to fuck it up against Cardiff ala Aston Villa

He was always like this, even in our successful times. Had one good formula and only used it. But back then we had the luck of having some tough guys and class players who could make a difference.

jesalr

Well, it would have been very hard for the ref and lino to see it was going wide from there. Ox didn't think it was going wide either. Justified red for his stupidity.

Definitely hard to see. Incredibly stupid. Just not a red for me. Can see why it was given, but an incorrect decision (on two fronts).

Keep in mind though, that I'm enjoying watching this crumbling Arsenal here.

BjVaqEkIUAA_V_j.png

The intent doesn't matter. It was going wide, so it's not a red. He hasn't denied a goal. If he hadn't touched it, there is not chance a goal would have been scored.

Thats a shit rule then and I dont have any sympathy for him because it was fucking stupid thing to do.

Edit: To add to that, I also think that the rules are completely unfair to the teams who the fouls are against. It was a deliberate attempt by Ox to cheat and stop us gaining any possible advantage from that situation. As I said before in my long ass post about Demichellis I think it was when City played Barcelona, no-one put a gun to Ox's head to do it.

Its like all the supporters of abolishing the last man rule, its all said to suit their own teams and not the team who are being wronged and denied an opportunity they worked for. You take down a last man, you deserve a red, you deserve the suspension and you deserve the play the rest of the match without that player. Dont like it, dont foul, dont handball. Obviously its different if it wasnt a handball or a foul but also the idea of "ruining a big match" is rubbish too.

bjaelke

Mignolet, Johnson, Flanagan, Agger, Skrtel, Gerrard, Allen, Henderson, Coutinho, Suarez, Sturridge

Jones, Sakho, Cissokho, Lucas, Moses, Sterling, Aspas

tri_willy

christ almighty that has got to be one of the most hysterical first halves of football ive ever seen... and for arsenal to implode on wenger's 1000th, they def were shitting on him of all ppl. bad luck arsenal gaf, for your promising season didnt deserve this, but wallopings from city, liverpool and now chelsea... something has got to give. not even beating united at all this season is also fucked

Mignolet, Johnson, Flanagan, Agger, Skrtel, Gerrard, Allen, Henderson, Coutinho, Suarez, Sturridge

Jones, Sakho, Cissokho, Lucas, Moses, Sterling, Aspas

Sterling suffering from fatigue I imagine. Bit disappointed he isn't starting, the more pace the better imo. Coutinho's gotta step it up. Think we could be troubled if Cardiff play like they'd be happy with a draw, Sterling attacks more relentlessly than Coutinho and Allen, and Coutinho can be a bit of a liability when we're up against a congested defense, and he keeps giving it away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom