• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 13/14 |OT17| I'm Spartacus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow. If you believe this morning's papers, Sky Sports News and TV/radio coverage, then Man Utd's ability to beat a third-rate bunch of Greek no-hopers, at Old Trafford, suddenly means that Moyes is safe and Utd's season has turned around. Moyes is also saying they will be a match for anyone in the quarter finals.

How do Man Utd fans here view things following last night's one-off result?

I think Moyes is safe unless he loses to West Ham and City. We're still shit.

pappe

Wow. If you believe this morning's papers, Sky Sports News and TV/radio coverage, then Man Utd's ability to beat a third-rate bunch of Greek no-hopers, at Old Trafford, suddenly means that Moyes is safe and Utd's season has turned around. Moyes is also saying they will be a match for anyone in the quarter finals.

We are gonna get our ass handed to us on a silver platter in the next round. This is not a turn around for us.

Honest assessments - cheers. What do you make of all the media hyperbole this morning?

Myopic.

It was one of Moyes's many false dawns. The players were playing for their own pride, even then we looked systemically shit and were a De Gea reaction save from going out. Better teams (of which there are many) will bend us over.

sohois

We have back ups coming through the youth system. Varela and Vermijl should be decent back ups until they develop some more.

Every fan wants players to come through youth and backs the success of their prospects, but "we have youth prospects" is rarely a wise route to take; Arsenal were for years undone by such a mentality. Realistically, 1 in 20 youth players will go on to play a decent amount of games for a top club, and far fewer than that will actually be at the required Champions League level.

Backing 2 players who don't have a first team appearance among them is not a good strategy, even if they are one day of the required level it could be years before either player is ready play regularly as well. Do you want to go into next season relying on Chris Smalling at RB every other game?

Last night only prolonged the agony.

Every fan wants players to come through youth and backs the success of their prospects, but "we have youth prospects" is rarely a wise route to take; Arsenal were for years undone by such a mentality. Realistically, 1 in 20 youth players will go on to play a decent amount of games for a top club, and far fewer than that will actually be at the required Champions League level.

Backing 2 players who don't have a first team appearance among them is not a good strategy, even if they are one day of the required level it could be years before either player is ready play regularly as well. Do you want to go into next season relying on Chris Smalling at RB every other game?

Vermijl has been on loan in the Eredivisie the entire season. He plays every game. He was impressive last season with the reserves and was beaten by Januzaj for the reserve player of the year. And you don't have to tell me about how many players will make the step up to the first team. I've already written off practically every player from the youth team.

In any case, they will be much better than Smalling at rb. No need to buy Coleman when Rafael is still playing. Another season of bad injuries and then I think United should make an effort of buying a rb.

Surely you'd want United. They're one of the weakest teams, if not the weakest, left in the draw. Gives you the best possible chance of progressing.

Yeah I can see that point of view but I personally would rather get the chance to see the likes of Zlatan, Reus, Costa and Casillias play live.

AVB looks dead inside
eKZWmXK.jpg

His first Zenit press conference is in 5 minutes.

Oh look, a proper comparison between the actual consumer oculus and the morpheus

So the headset's well-designed, although it does lag behind the Oculus in some key areas. There's a fair bit more light bleeding into the viewing area, a slim slit just below your field of vision that doesn't seem to be rectifiable by adjusting the optics. The viewing angle, too, is noticeably smaller than the Oculus, even if the difference is minimal - on your visual peripheral there's a clear edge to the image, though it's thankfully slight enough not to break the feeling of immersion.

And what a feeling of immersion it is. Project Morpheus' tracking feels on a par with Oculus, even taking into account the advances brought about by the implementation of Crystal Cove. That's no doubt thanks to the PlayStation Camera's input, and the latency seems impressively low when moving your head. Even better, it allows you full 360-degree movement, letting you look behind you - a factor that's exploited to great effect in Sony London Studio's The Deep.

There is one other setback to Morpheus right now, though it's one that's likely to be remedied throughout the development process. Motion blur is much more pronounced on Morpheus than it is on Oculus' DK2, and image quality is also noticeably not quite on par. Both are running at 1080p, but Morpheus' decision to go with LCD displays rather than the OLED used on Oculus hurts it a little - good thing, then, that Sony's already looking at exploring OLED for its own device.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-03-20-how-does-morpheus-shape-up-to-oculus

As the article says though, Morpheus is clearly still a prototype, so can't put too much weight onto the differences yet... especially second hand bullshit like Geoff tweeted.

Jack cw

Dortmund are like 40 points behind bayern in the BUNDESLIGA. the bundesliga.

They are together with United the worst two sides this year. I would love to get either one of those but hope for PSG because a strong opposition makes us perform better. Tomorrow will be fun.

I remember being really excited when AVB joined Chelsea. I had the feeling he was going to be Mourinho mk2. Suave, sophisticated and intelligent. That feeling quickly passed when he spent the whole of the first game squatting on the touchline looking like a spaniel having a shit.

Jack cw

Damn, this was like the sixth or seventh defeat at home for Dortmund this season. They used to be invincible there for a long time. Yeah, injuries...

I remember being really excited when AVB joined Chelsea. I had the feeling he was going to be Mourinho mk2. Suave, sophisticated and intelligent. That feeling quickly passed when he spent the whole of the first game squatting on the touchline looking like a spaniel having a shit.

Squatting is what unites all the peoples of eastern Europe. He'll fit right in.

Best thing he did was bring Eva

Honest assessments - cheers. What do you make of all the media hyperbole this morning?

Basically that, hyperbole. We have won a few big games this year but overall, we're still shit.

Imagine if we didn't have De Gea. I thank god every game that he's our goalkeeper.

FootballFan

They are together with United the worst two sides this year. I would love to get either one of those but hope for PSG because a strong opposition makes us perform better. Tomorrow will be fun.

Yep.
Ill probably change my mind in 5 minutes but in order of preference for me:
Manunited
Dortmund
Psg
Atletico
Madrid
Chelsea
Bayern

pappe

I honestly look at the other teams in the last 8 and cant feel even slightly confident against any of them. From Dortmund to Bayern all are gonna annihilate United Bumhole.

Jack cw

I honestly look at the other teams in the last 8 and cant feel even slightly confident against any of them. From Dortmund to Bayern all are gonna annihilate United Bumhole.

Courage, pappe!
We were basically in the same situation 2009 and I never thought we could make it against United. If you play like yesterday then your up for a good fight.

The same old flaws were still present in yesterdays game, we just played for our lives in attack.

I'm happy though. Club needed this, fans needed this. Still don't see Moyes surviving given the upcoming fixtures.

As the article says though, Morpheus is clearly still a prototype, so can't put too much weight onto the differences yet... especially second hand bullshit like Geoff tweeted.

Doritos Pope gonna dorits pope, yet everyone sucks it up like they don't know who they are dealing with.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
I'm still laughing at the keeper for RVP's third goal. Doesn't Roy Carroll still play for Olympiakos? Even he would have kept that free kick out.

no Gaitan for today's match. not like we need him anyway.

We didn't even bring Lloris for this game, it's going to be a bloodbath (although Friedel played very well against Dnipro away).

If Moyes fucks Rafael off. Swear down. I don't give a shit if he's playing crap, one of the few players we have left who gets it.

More so than Moyes ever will.

Thinks we took a "risk" late night. 1) we were 2-0 down. 2) that's how were meant to play you slug

Mac_Lane

The quarter-finals are gonna be pretty damn impressive this year.

I'd love for us to get our revenge against Barça. Plus, Bayern and Real look way too strong to take on right now. Anyway, really excited for tomorrow's draw!

ElyrionX

It's been a bleak season thus far. No need to talk down your own team and your own legit victories, UnitedGAF. We did it despite many people thinking and hoping that we wouldn't. Keep those heads held high, boys.

Why are we suddenly one of the worst sides this year? We were top of the hardest CL group and comfortably made it to the quarter finals. Bundesliga results don't mean shit.

I admit we didn't play the best football yesterday but it wasn't like Zenit was really threatening at any point during the match. Hulk with a goal out of nowhere which Kehl made even. Then nothing would have happened in the second half if it wasn't for Aubameyang's/Hummels' mistake. Can't blame our players for playing it safe when Zenit wasn't even trying, especially with all the injuries and many overplayed players like Sahin, Lewandowski, etc.

PSG beat a shitty Leverkusen side, Chelsea a poor Gala yesterday, etc. Aside from Barca, Real and Bayern (and we showed we can give the last two trouble) I wouldn't say any team is "better" than us. We have a chance to make it past any team really.

WJD

I want Barca and I don't know why.

PSG maybe.

Real would slice through us with ease.

Atletico would press us into mush.

Bayern would get into double digits if they actually tried.

Chelsea are just dull.

Dortmund would be quite fun too I guess.

bjaelke

PSG owners know they wont go all the way. That's the only reasonable explanation for promising the players a €1m win bonus each.

Jack cw

Why are we suddenly one of the worst sides this year? We were top of the hardest CL group and comfortably made it to the quarter finals. Bundesliga results don't mean shit.

I admit we didn't play the best football yesterday but it wasn't like Zenit was really threatening at any point during the match. Hulk with a goal out of nowhere which Kehl made even. Then nothing would have happened in the second half if it wasn't for Aubameyang's/Hummels' mistake. Can't blame our players for playing it safe when Zenit wasn't even trying, especially with all the injuries and many overplayed players like Sahin, Lewandowski, etc.

PSG beat a shitty Leverkusen side, Chelsea a poor Gala yesterday, etc. Aside from Barca, Real and Bayern (and we showed we can give the last two trouble) I wouldn't say any team is "better" than us. We have a chance to make it past any team really.

Is this the "Klopp-Effect"?
I watched the last 6 performances of Dortmund and they were all rather bad. Your counter pressing doesnt work, because many teams have found a way to avoid it, still too many missed chances, defence is hilarious, defensive midfield is vulnerable etc. You downplay PSGs great performance against Neverkusen, but forget to mention that Zenit doesnt play at the moment, because the league hasnt even started in Russia. They managed to score 4 goals against you and you were basically out in the group stage with losses too.

And last year is history I'm afraid. The only real comparison with one of the top clubs this year ended with a 0-3 defeat for Dortmund. Its nothing personal Milch, but I admire Lewandwski for his honesty in his interview for stating the truth: "If we perform like this against the other 7 clubs, we are out and we should not always make it so easy and use the "injuries" as excuse for bad performances". Its pretty obvious that in this state, BVB and United are the weakest teams left in the tournament.

Mastadon

Banned
Holy shit, I've found doicare's secret identity.

Former Manchester United defender Clayton Blackmore says any team would have struggled this season with the injuries United have suffered, and believes the performance in the 3-0 win against Olympiakos shows what they are truly capable of.
He tells BBC Radio 5 live: "Most of the season we have been without Robin Van Persie, Wayne Rooney has also been out for two months. It is unbelievable how much bad luck David Moyes has had.
"You need your key players, that is not what we have had this season. It has made the press' day - they have hammered us all season but take Cristiano Ronaldo and Gareth Bale out of the Real Madrid team and we would play them next week, no problem."

Into

They (media) are doing this, so they can do the whole doom talk again, ie build em up, tear them down.

United did not even look good against Olympiakos. Against a top European side, they will get shredded, the defense looks poor by even lowest Premier League standards.

But yeah, you cannot do "doomed" forever, it gets tiring and people lose interest, now they have to build them back up, so they can tear them down come a 5-0 drubbing against Real, Bayern or whatever. "Moyes Out!", "English Empire Crumbling", "The Death Of Club" and other such sensationalist headlines

3Sixty

Chelsea are working on a deal to sign the next big talent from Southampton’s highly-rated academy system – teenage striker Sam Gallagher.

The 18-year-old, who is still largely unknown, has been slowly dipped into the Saints first-team this season, but he set tongues wagging with his first Premier League goal against Norwich at the weekend.

Mauricio Pochettino is keen to keep the 6’4” striker under the radar, but Chelsea scouts are already on to him, and want to sign him at the end of the season.

Southampton have produced stars such as Theo Walcott, Gareth Bale, Adam, Lallana and Luke Shaw from their famed youth setup in recent years, and many believe Gallagher could be the next big thing to emerge.

lol

pls

Clegg

Hmm

I assume we've all heard the story about Beckham being forced to wank to a picture of Clayton Blackmore, yes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom