• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 13/14 |OT17| I'm Spartacus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Congrats UnitedGaf. Now give me a Madrid-United please. I´m sure that UnitedGaf want revenge for last year´s defeat, and after yesterday´s match, who knows what could happen there? ok.

iblnXWVYG8f9QU.png
:lol

Wilbur

Banned
Are there any restrictions for the quarter finals, e.g. could Real-Atletico happen?

Yep, every tie is available now.

I'm pressing the apply now button for tickets like mad on the website and it's telling me I'm not eligible at this time. WHY

Salvadora

Anyone here do any backpacking traveling?

Thinking of a 3 month stint around Southeast Asia next summer after my first year at uni, but it's a bit overwhelming.

Wilbur

Banned
Also, re: Dortmund. I think they've done fine this year considering. Still second, in the QFs.

They've had a mental injury crisis this season. There's still four or five first teamers out now, isn't there?

bjaelke

Thinking of a 3 month stint around Southeast Asia next summer after my first year at uni, but it's a bit overwhelming.
I did some backpacking in Australia back in 06. Expensive but a great experience. Ended up travelling with some guys from Milton Keynes. One of them was an Arsenal fan so I had the pleasure of watching the CL final with him and listening to his moaning afterwards.

Pennywise

Also, re: Dortmund. I think they've done fine this year considering. Still second, in the QFs.

They've had a mental injury crisis this season. There's still four or five first teamers out now, isn't there?

Subotic,Gündogan,Kuba won't make another game this season.
Alot of injuries throughout the season for Schmelzer,Hummels and Bender.

So the next CL game will be without Subotic,Gündogan,Kuba,Lewandowski (got a stupid yellow card yesterday) and Bender,Schmelzer (4 week break after the injury yesterday).

subtles

I was herding 50ish camels with two other people in a savannah a few years ago if that counts. It was only two months but a wonderful experience. I'd recommend you give backpacking a shot despite reservations as you'll learn quite a bit. I remember regretting missing E3 though. :lol

Salvadora

I did some backpacking in Australia back in 06. Expensive but a great experience. Ended up travelling with some guys from Milton Keynes. One of them was an Arsenal fan so I had the pleasure of watching the CL final with him and listening to his moaning afterwards.
I'd love to see Australia, but I imagine it's just as expensive as the U.K (if not more).

Would be staying in hostels and the like, everything on the cheap.
I was herding 50ish camels with two other people in a savannah a few years ago if that counts. It was only two months but a wonderful experience. I'd recommend you give backpacking a shot despite reservations as you'll learn quite a bit. I remember regretting missing E3 though. :lol
What the hell :lol.

Thinking of going to Myanmar, Laos, Thailand, Malaysia, Indonesia and Vietnam. It's probably well too over ambitious.

Wilbur

Banned
My mate went to Thailand recently and then on a whim just knocked around Asia for a bit. He grew a wonderful beard.

I see. But as a Bayern supporter I suffered a long time when either Ribery or Roben or both were out for months and we had no proper replacement. There were times when both of them or Schweinsteiger injured, we were basically dead. Its not bad to have options and you dont need to buy world class players for any position but Dortmund clearly missed buying decent back ups. Anyway, I hope Dortmund makes it to the semis for presenting Bundesliga but if you not manage to draw United its going to be tough.

But the point you don't get is that we do have decent backups. Sahin is playing instead of Gündogan (Schweini out), Auba is playing instead of Kuba (Robben out), Großkreutz is playing instead of Reus (Ribery out).

With Bayern, it's simply gotten to the point where you guys have such a huge squad, it doesn't even matter if Ribery, Schweinsteiger and Robben are injured. You have the money to build a squad in which the backup for the backup is Shaqiri/Martinez/Pizarro. And for any team that doesn't have the financial power of Bayern, the backups for the backups are players like Sarr/Kirch/Hofmann/Ducksch. Which isn't too bad, Sarr, Hofmann and Ducksch are huge talents, but also not yet proper replacements for a player like Reus or Hummels.

Salvadora

My mate went to Thailand recently and then on a whim just knocked around Asia for a bit. He grew a wonderful beard.
Aye, my sister went there too.

Ended up staying on some Thai island, Phi Phi, for like 7 months just doing fuck all except partying :lol.

Razor554

For next round i hope we get United (because they are the easiest of the 7) or Dortmund(because we haven't played them since 97 UEFA Super Cup). We have already played against Atleti, Real, PSG, Bayern and Chelsea recently.

The only team i'd like to avoid like the plague is Pep's Bayern. We actually have a illness free coach this season and no major injuries, but Pep is the GOAT and he would destroy us.

pls no Bayern

Wilbur

Banned
I hope Chelsea get Bayern and fucking park the bus, it'll be gorgeous.

I'd rather Barca won the CL this year than Bayern. Look what you have done to me, Jupp

Nicktendo86

Worst possible result for us last night, now subjected to Moyes telling us (again) that we have turned a corner. We've turned more corners according to him this season than George Michael trying to park up at snappy snaps.

Carbonox

Btw, in my FIFA career mode, there's this kid in Newcastle, Adam Campbell. He basically becomes a pseudo-Messi in the game

what's up with that

He's a class youngster in real-life too. We have shit luck with these prospects actually ever making it anywhere though so it remains to be seen if he can do anything when he's older.

Wilbur

Banned
How can you not wish for La Decima? Do you not want your foetus Ronnie to succeed?

This is for viva:

a list in order of preference for who I want to win the champions league

1 man United
2 Atletico
3 Bayern
4 Real Madrid
5 Chelsea
6 PSG
7 Barca
8 Bayern

Jack cw

I hope Chelsea get Bayern and fucking park the bus, it'll be gorgeous.

I'd rather Barca won the CL this year than Bayern. Look what you have done to me, Jupp

Wilbur pls. You get what you deserve. Bayern in the quarter final, first mach in theater of dreams.
1 man United
2 Atletico
3 Bayern
4 Real Madrid
5 Chelsea
6 PSG
7 Barca
8 Bayern

I see what you did there.

I love how Jack completely ignores my points how our squad doesn't lack decent backups everytime just to post the same shit 10 minutes later. Why do I even bother...

Wilbur

Banned
Wilbur pls. You get what you deserve. Bayern in the quarter final, first mach in theater of dreams.

I see what you did there.

:lol

Wouldn't mind Bayern. Don't want Chelsea but I'd be happy with anyone else. Should be fun whoever it is.

Chelsea winning would be great cause it would show football is alive.

Atletico would be great too for the tears of all the la liga people in here, who are used to their players being wrapped in bubblewrap and can't handle a tackle.

After that I don't really know, Palermo Saint-Germain probably my third pick.

The rest can all fuck off, particularly Bayern though as their supporters are more than enough already.

arkon

And then in the second leg he at least played a 4-2-3-1 but with Lahm again as RB, and I'm sorry to say but Arsenal had a much better chance to win that match than us. Pep doesn't know how to neutralize Wenger's team.

I disagree. Even leaving aside the missed penalty, Bayern had more chances (and better ones) to finish that game off. Remember the Mandzukic brainfart when he's trying to walk the ball in off his thigh?

I don't remember Arsenal threatening the goal that much.

WJD

Did a month in America last year and it was great fun. Absolutely knackering but if you can find some semi decent hostels with some semi decent people you'll love it. SE Asia will be pretty cheap too.

Elchele

I want

Dortmund vs Barcelona
RM vs PSG
Man Utd vs Atlético Madrid
Bayern vs Chelsea

edit: RM vs Atlético would be great too

Jack cw

I love how Jack completely ignores my points how our squad doesn't lack decent backups everytime just to post the same shit 10 minutes later. Why do I even bother...

LOL Milch :/
I havent even seen you replying. You have my attention. Always!
But the point you don't get is that we do have decent backups. Sahin is playing instead of Gündogan (Schweini out), Auba is playing instead of Kuba (Robben out), Großkreutz is playing instead of Reus (Ribery out).

With Bayern, it's simply gotten to the point where you guys have such a huge squad, it doesn't even matter if Ribery, Schweinsteiger and Robben are injured. You have the money to build a squad in which the backup for the backup is Shaqiri/Martinez/Pizarro. And for any team that doesn't have the financial power of Bayern, the backups for the backups are players like Sarr/Kirch/Hofmann/Ducksch. Which isn't too bad, Sarr, Hofmann and Ducksch are huge talents, but also not yet proper replacements for a player like Reus or Hummels.
I see and these are valid points. I wonder why Klopp is so bullish with his tactics. I mean, all your replacements you mentioned couldnt replace the injured players properly, so its only logical to have at least another system to play that benefits the strength of a Großkreutz, Sahin, Aubameyang, etc. And its not like you are starving. You earned around 350 million and made profits, so the money excuse is only appropriate when considering the fact that Watze is not ready to invest into class palyers. Why I mentioning all this is that Bayern and the Bundesliga needs a strong and competitive BVB in order to compete with EPL and La Liga.

The rest can all fuck off, particularly Bayern though as their supporters are more than enough already.
Wooden pls. Bla and Jupp arent that bad, well mostly and Bayern is a great club most of the time.
Chelsea winning would be great cause it would show football is alive.
tumblr_mi1mtbOJqE1rqfhi2o1_250.gif

ElyrionX

Just caught the replay of the United game (I know, watching replay of live games is lame but the match aired at 330am here so sue me). We had some really shady defending and that third goal was somewhat strange but I'll take whatever we can get. Onward to the trophy!

Elchele

I see and these are valid points. I wonder why Klopp is so bullish with his tactics. I mean, all your replacements you mentioned couldnt replace the injured players properly, so its only logical to have at least another system to play that benefits the strenght of a Großkreutz, Sahin, Aubameyang, etc. And its not like you are starving. You earend around 350 million and made profits, so the money excuse is only appropriate when considering the fact that Watze is not ready to invest into class palyers. Why I mentioning all this is that Bayern and the Bundesliga needs a strong and competitive BVB in order to compete with EPL La Liga.

Don't know, see how long it took Bayern to start spending some money in class players. Before that we signed a lot of mediocre players like Altintop, Pranjic, Petersen, Braafheid, Schlaudraff, Karimi, etc

we only started signing big players after pulling a Neverkusen in all competitions.
Dortmund should continue signing unknown players like Kagawa, Barrios, etc. Instead of buying people like Mkhy for huge amounts of money. Or at least limit the signings to players from the french/german/austrian/polish leagues were the prices are still decent. They could have signed Firmino + Volland with the Mhky money

subtles

If Bayern win they'll pull past us with an additional 'big ears'.

If Barca win we'll have another team that equals our number.

Atletico's pressing is not as beautiful as that of Bielsa, they are too feral. Their boss may look like a mobster but I cannot begrudge him a trophy on that basis alone.

PSG cannot triumph as that will decimate the symbol that is FFP.

The city of London has enough cup!s for the next ten years.

No point mentioning Manchester United.

Dortmund have too many injuries but would be a great shout.

La Decima it is.

Jack cw

Don't know, see how long it took Bayern to start spending some money in class players. Before that we signed a lot of mediocre players like Altintop, Pranjic, Petersen, Braafheid, Schlaudraff, Karimi, etc

we only started signing big players after pulling a Neverkusen in all competitions.

And that is what I'm saying. We invested big time, when Scholl left. Then after the hilarious Klinsmann season and finally after Dortmund was about to surpass us as Bundesligas best team. We needed that competition for where we are today. Dortmund might start slowly investing too. There is a reason why EPL and La Liga are dominating Europe for a decade. This has to change!

Elchele

And that is what I'm saying. We invested big time, when Scholl left. Then after the hilarious Klinsmann season and finally after Dortmund was about to surpass us as Bundesligas best team. We needed that competition for where we are today. Dortmund might start slowly investing too. There is a reason why EPL and La Liga are dominating Europe for a decade. This has to change!

It will take time. I think a lot of teams are improving via the coaching department: Freiburg, Augsburg, Gladbach, Mainz... they all are following Dortmund's model in some way. Bundesliga teams don't have the money to compete with EPL/La Liga/PSG teams, so their best shot is to be better in the coaching part and improving their youth departments.

Schalke for example is producing talents like crazy, but their first team is a fucking mess so they can't take advantage of that. Imagine Dortmund with a youth academy as good as Schalke's.

I think Bundesliga will eventually catch up with Bayern/Dortmund in some way, look at La Liga. They had a few season with RM and Barcelona way ahead of everyone else, and now Valencia, Atlético, Athletic Bilbao, etc are up there fighting, maybe not for the 1st or 2nd spot but there isn't that huge gap in quality anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom