• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 13/14 |OT18| Coming Early by L. Piscium

Status
Not open for further replies.

subtles

It just overloads your cpu like crazy, especially if there's several embedded ones on one page. We need a proper new format to replace gifs, but this will never be it.

It's certainly a step in the right direction. If this format being accepted on a wider scale leads to the introduction of a better format in the future then so be it.

It's certainly a step in the right direction. If this format being accepted on a wider scale leads to the introduction of a better format in the future then so be it.

A step in the right direction is not going to become a new standard or have the same support as gifs though. It's really just video... That people decided to embedded with extensions. I'm not sure why people are so amazed by it or think it will become huge just because 4chan likes it... This shit has existed for 4 years.

danwarb

José Mourinho;107503001 said:
Hmm, I just watched the one linked and my CPU usage only went up by a few percent -- although it is a capable i7. Perhaps, as you say, multiple clips really show the impact. But it seems pretty good given the quality jump.

I don't think they're much trouble for a modern desktop CPU, but they would destroy smaller devices. The busiest pages in that webm thread push an i5 to ~40%.

You can enable hover/click-to-play in the webm for neogaf extension.

subtles

It's the compression vs quality that is making it popular among people. Some of the file size comparisons I've been seeing, even with audio, are pretty remarkable.

Yes, I'm also surprised that it's only just got traction. :/

Martinez has got Everton playing in a very Martinez way, which is intricate passes, recycling possession and bursting through space in the center on the counter.

However it's worth mentioning that last year Everton under Moyes were fantastic – and they didn't have a wealth of quality attacking options like Lukau or Deulefeu, nor did they have Barry, who apart from one or two stinkers has been a rock for Everton.

That Everton have improved under Martinez can't be argued. But it's been one season and too early to say that it was an exceptional signing to bring him in. Moyes didn't play Barkley and that's been a high point of Martinez's tenure so far, but I feel like it's the same as blaming Dalglish for not playing Sterling. Everyone saw the potential that's there, but Sterling was just too young and not physically imposing enough to play week in and week out. And of course Rodgers is getting credit for bringing him into the team, but Dalglish knew about Sterling and his potential, he can't be blamed for not using him when he was just too young at the time.

Barkley was being touted as the next great Everton talent before Moyes left for Man United. You can be absolutely sure that Moyes was aware of him. It was probably just too early.

The media wankfest over Martinez is also insufferable at times. They've got three loanees who come from the world's best clubs. Any manager of a mid-table team would be cumming buckets at the prospect of getting a Barça youth star, an 18m target man from Chelsea, and a PL-winning England international in midfield. Put it into perspective and it makes enough sense that they'd be where they are.

Moyes should have used the loan system as effectively as Martinez has. The only loan he was a bit lucky with was Lukaku as it happened pretty late and nobody expected him to be loaned out. Deulofeu hasn't really contributed all that much and Barry was a smart loan and I doubt many considered it shrewd when it first happened.

And what is the difference between buying a player and getting a loan anyways? Had they bought Lukaku, everybody would be saying that Moyes was unlucky that he didn't have Lukaku and that it's natural for Everton to be doing better now that such a player is on the team. There isn't a difference between the effect a bought player had on the team's improvement and the effect a loan player had. The only difference between the two is that it shows how shrewd a manager is when buying a player and how shrewd a manager is when using the loan system. Both can take the credit for the team's improvement away from the manager.

Regardless of the loans, Martinez is going to get more points than Moyes ever managed to get with Everton.

And who can know how the team will do next season? Maybe the players will respond to Martinez style of football better in the 2nd year. Maybe Barkley improves a lot. Maybe they buy a player like Coutinho that improves the team. Maybe Lukaku wouldn't have done as well under Moyes' style of football. It's possible with the awful success Moyes has had with numerous strikers.

The only thing we do know is how Martinez has fared this season and he's done a great job.

GorillaJu

I can see where you are coming from now, but honestly as I stated, A change is welcomed, whether its Martinez or not. Moyes was a Media Darling as well, if not more than Martinez, and the hate for Loan deals we have done is ridiculous, at the same time belittling our progress (using loanees as an argument), I am talking about the now and the present. I am happy with pur performance so far, but who knows, we might be the championship the season after the next, that doesn't change the fact that Moyes had his shortcoming and You all should stop being annoyed by little hope and enjoyment of our season.

You call it perspective, I call it being fallacious ( I am sorry but that is what it looks like)

I should fucking Sleep :/

I am not annoyed by the fact that Everton are doing well. I want them in the Champions League. I really like the change of scenery around the top of the PL table and so long as it's not at Liverpool's expense, I would love to see Everton in competition near the top.

All I am saying is that people have been so quick to jump on the Martinez bandwagon for supposedly making huge strides of improvement over Moyes, even suggesting that he be the next manager of Arsenal. It's too early to say anything like that. Let's see what happens when the spine of Moyes' team is phased out and they don't get 3 top class loanees in one season.

Fwiw I feel similarly about Liverpool and Rodgers. I really, really like him, but I'm still reluctant to give him credit for being a tactical genius, and of our best 11 (Sterling Sturridge Suarez Gerrard Henderson Coutinho Flanagan Sakho Skrtel Johnson), only 3 of those players were signed by Rodgers... So as I said, love him and want him to stay for a long time, but is he the next Shankly? Just too early to call.

pulga

Banned
i think both can serve different purposes

gifs for the lols
webms for the pretty things *_*

webm should not replace the gif

I wouldn't want to listen to the drivel spouted in wrestling either.

Don't worry, since 4chan are the only ones really doing this, and being the creators of most funny stuff, it won't be a problem with audio, as they don't allow it. Thank fuck for that, imagine loading a random gaf page with 50 webms full of audio lol

GorillaJu

The major problem with gifs is file size (and by extension loading times). Webm doesn't seem to remedy that so what's the point?

subtles

The major problem with gifs is file size (and by extension loading times). Webm doesn't seem to remedy that so what's the point?

Webp, the sister project + image file equivalent, replaced the traditional image formats on the chrome store and saved Google terabytes of traffic everyday according to their CEO (each file is roughly 30% smaller). Many websites want to embrace the formats simply because it's more feasible without sacrificing quality.

On GAF however? People just want to embrace the future I guess.

GorillaJu

Webp, the sister project + image file equivalent, replaced the traditional image formats on the chrome store and saved Google terabytes of traffic everyday according to their CEO (each file is roughly 30% smaller). Many websites want to embrace the formats simply because it's more feasible without sacrificing quality.

On GAF however? People just want to embrace the future I guess.

If it has practical reasons behind it then I'm 100% for it. Do webm's come in smaller files than gifs?

subtles

I must say the prospect of innovative Banned posts with clever use of the aural facult

I'm reading into it too much.

If it has practical reasons behind it then I'm 100% for it. Do webm's come in smaller files than gifs?

Yes. GIF is essentially an image format. Video codecs provide better compression (than Images).

Edit: I should probably take the example out as it can be misinterpreted without an explanation of the technical aspect, but here goes.

Example: I've seen 25 MB GIFs condensed to a few MBs with audio. It looked better, too. (Taken from the same source)

wedward

that Wenger quote isn't surprising at all, though it is damning.

I'll be incredibly disappointed if he signs a new contract.

At this point I would be fine with him signing another 2 year extension.

Worst case is we go trophy-less for another 2 seasons. It's already been 10, another 2 won't kill me.

It would kill me to see Wenger walk away right now. I think he deserves a chance to see out what he has been trying to build towards for 10 seasons.

2 more seasons, if he can't get it done with money(I think this will be the second summer he will be allowed to spend big) then it's time to call it quits.

For me the chance to see Wenger win the league again is worth the risk of maybe going trophy-less for 2 years.

I also don't think the club or Wenger have thought about a successor.

subtles

I'll get my coat after this Sal, fret not.

Thanks for explaining, Subtles. All the webm's I've seen have been 20+ MB so it disnt seek like it was saving too much space.

They wanted to have the highest quality in most cases thus didn't compress anymore than needed. The GIF version of many of the webm files we've seen, particularly at the sizes (relative to pixels/screen) we've been seeing them would be astronomical.

GQman2121

Banned
I've just awoken from my celebratory nap. Feeling good. Making pancakes. It's nearly 1:00 in the morning. No fucks.

Who has the best the WC uni's?

For me:

Uruguay home/away; Netherlands home/away; France white away; Cameroon home/away; Croatia home/away; Ghana red away; Belgium all three; Russia home.

The Japanese have a great home kit.

kagawa_1314-13848252947040.jpg

Salazar

The Japanese have a great home kit.

Yup. I've got an old Japanese kit (Honda on the back, lol) and I could still go for that new one if I didn't baulk at the cost of football shirts. I'm fine with paying silly money for some well put together leather shoes, or a nicely cut jacket or something. But Adidas, Nike pls.

GQman2121

Banned
Yup. I've got an old Japanese kit (Honda on the back, lol) and I could still go for that new one if I didn't baulk at the cost of football shirts. I'm fine with paying silly money for some well put together leather shoes, or a nicely cut jacket or something. But Adidas, Nike pls.

Yeah, the prices for these WC shirts is insane. $150 even for an authentic on the field shirt is a bit steep. And that's without a name/number. You're in the $200 range once that's added.

I've been holding off and waiting on the mid-season clearance sales. I paid $25 for our 2012 shirt and ironed on the badges, name and number for $20 more myself.

subtles

Shinji looks frail.

The only kits I've seen that stood out were Holland (looked brilliant) and the U.S of A (left a lot to be desired.)

The Centennial one was so good!

bjaelke

Don't worry, since 4chan are the only ones really doing this, and being the creators of most funny stuff, it won't be a problem with audio, as they don't allow it. Thank fuck for that, imagine loading a random gaf page with 50 webms full of audio lol

4chan is just memecenter with a different layout

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
If Barcelona's academy is doing this too, then it's not so bad really

Marotta “Directors also have a social responsibility towards the lads in the youth academy. They hope to become professionals, but Italian football will only allow three out of a hundred to achieve that aim.
“Therefore we wanted to become the first Italian football club to create our own college to ensure the players can combine sporting activity with learning and accompany them towards their diplomas

Marotta was asked who his favourite figures from the history of football were.

“In my view Pele and Diego Maradona were the greatest players, while as a Coach I’d say Sir Alex Ferguson not just for what he won, but because he covered an entire era at the top

edit: Well, snatching kids from Africa and forcing them to live without their parents is still bad

I lurk from time to time :p

Hello. My name is Yurt. You banned me once. Prepare to die.

Draconian

Recorded the game and didn't watch it until now because I had no confidence. looooooool
Luiz with his best game this year easily and a couple of goals off of sloppy PSG defending. I'll take it! Cavani should've scored though, and I don't like how easily our backline got picked apart both legs. We're probably going to get gutted in the semis, but hey, this was a great comeback and a great win. :lol at Mou running all the way down to the corner flag after the goal.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Suen is banned? looool

:lol :lol WHAT THE HELL Susie? How many times did I tell you to just IGNORE him? If you have something to say to him, then say it on whatsapp! (I'm assuming you're not perma'd here)

-

Chelsea's account trolling PSG last night :'')

Don't be.

sorry for us losing out on him or sorry for napoli going for him instead of our crooked defenders?

a bit of both!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom