• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 13/14 |OT18| Coming Early by L. Piscium

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clegg

That Wenger thing has been circulating for quite a while now. I think Fabregas mentioned a few years ago that Wenger doesn't prepare tactics to deal with other teams.

faridmon

I was going to answer your question, but then you answered it for me, mrgrgr. Brilliant game although I have stalled a bit on it recently, as I've been addicted to Persona 4 Golden on vita... Another handheld I bought, within the space of like a week of the 3ds lol, both used and only a bit more expensive than what a newly released PS3 game cost here.

Scandinavian Tax innit

Scandinavian Tax innit

Yeah, honestly I can't even imagine buying new games on console anymore. Just not enough value for me anymore I think, especially when I end up delaying actually playing them properly until 6 months after release and they are already half price.

velociraptor

Heard back from Arnie's place, didn't make the next stage. Ah well. Onwards innit. Thought I came across as nervous on the phone anyway.

The dream is over Arnold.

Job interview?

I don't know what I must do to pass an interview.

I haven't had many interviews mind you (probably about 4 in the past year). :(

I seem to fail every single one.

jtb

Banned
that Wenger quote isn't surprising at all, though it is damning.

I'll be incredibly disappointed if he signs a new contract.

faridmon

Yeah, honestly I can't even imagine buying new games on console anymore. Just not enough value for me anymore I think, especially when I end up delaying actually playing them properly until 6 months after release and they are already half price.

I remember having only 12 Gamecube games during the whole gen just because of how expensive games were in Norway. My dad used to bloody complain about it which made me just salty about the whole pricing thing.

Thank god, UK is dirt cheap when it comes to games.

Kikarian

I don't understand why you wouldn't look for exploits in the other team. I don't understand the logic, at all.

Same with Moyes, innit.

Scum

Congrats, to ChelseaGAF. R. Madrid GAF, sort out your fucking defence. Make Varane a 1st team starter....
....and Nintendo pls. Just buy the Megaman IP off Capcom. You did more with it a few secs than Capcom have for 4+ years.

13726008703_fe531d549b_o.gif

;_;

faridmon

I don't understand why you wouldn't look for exploits in the other team. I don't understand the logic, at all.

Same with Moyes, innit.

Nah, Moyes does his research. Its just that he has one plan of going at teams and normally doesn't have a plan B. When it works, it works perfectly, when it doesn't, your just fucked!

pulga

Banned
Congrats, to ChelseaGAF. R. Madrid GAF, sort out your fucking defence. Make Varane a 1st team starter....
....and Nintendo pls. Just buy the Megaman IP off Capcom. You did more with it a few secs than Capcom have for 4+ years.

;_;

that is fucking incredible

need to see the direct asap

jtb

Banned
I wonder how much tactical research Pep does before games, considering how he also fetishizes playing football "the right way" (probably even more so than Wenger) but also given that he's supposedly a much more intense manager than... just about everyone.

Kikarian

Nah, Moyes does his research. Its just that he has one plan of going at teams and normally doesn't have a plan B. When it works, it works perfectly, when it doesn't, your just fucked!
To be fair, he does do his research. But the opposition know what we're all about and thus just have to counter that. Which isn't that hard, as seen this season. Like you said, Moyes doesn't have a Plan B and it's frustrating to say the least.

GorillaJu

Cool Wooden. I really need to play Bravely Default. I love old school JRPGs probably more than any other genre, when done well. I have played Persona 4 like 4 times through now and I don't even want to know how many hours that has entailed.

faridmon

To be fair, he does do his research. But the opposition know what we're all about and thus just have to counter that. Which isn't that hard, as seen this season. Like you said, Moyes doesn't have a Plan B and it's frustrating to say the least.

Multiply that by 10 years. That was my life. The worst thing about it was he was hailed the next coming of sliced bread by the media (and even many posters in this thread).

*sigh* Moyes is certainly an enigma. I Love him but he did get on my nerve... alot!

Scum

that is fucking incredible

need to see the direct asap

I watched this one. Super Smash Bros. Direct Presentation - 08.04.2014
Subs FTW!

I wonder how much tactical research Pep does before games, considering how he also fetishizes playing football "the right way" (probably even more so than Wenger) but also given that he's supposedly a much more intense manager than... just about everyone.

Isn't it Pep that likes to lock himself into a room to do as much research as possible? Or was it Mou??

Kikarian

Multiply that by 10 years. That was my life. The worst thing about it was he was hailed the next coming of sliced bread by the media (and even many posters in this thread).

*sigh* Moyes is certainly an enigma. I Love him but he did get on my nerve... alot!
I can't cope with him already. I want him out. A lot of Everton fans predicted what would happen almost perfectly when he came. They said the same when he first came to Everton, as well (iirc). Mainly that's he's tactically inept etc. Which is all true and he hasn't changed that. He won't change that now he's come to United. He's built on one philosophy.

He's a mid-table, mediocre manager that isn't capable of managing a team of United's standard. He held Everton back, which is evident with what Martinez is doing.

GorillaJu

^ a lot of people have been suggesting it is the spine of Moyes' team that Martinez is using. Would Martinez be successful without Moyes'z team?

FuturusX

that Wenger quote isn't surprising at all, though it is damning.

I'll be incredibly disappointed if he signs a new contract.

Are you not afraid of the unknown? Look at UTD...rough transition. Or are you at the point where in your mind all you can hear is..."stahppppp staaaaphhhhhh"

Kikarian

^ a lot of people have been suggesting it is the spine of Moyes' team that Martinez is using. Would Martinez be successful without Moyes'z team?
Surely then, Moyes should have been capable of doing what Martinez is doing, if not more?

I'm not setting back what he did for Everton, but it's easy to bring players in, whether it be buying them or through the reserves. It's what you do with them which is the hard part and that's what Moyes couldn't grasp and Martinez could. It's something I think Moyes isn't capable of grasping, if I'm quite honest.

faridmon

I can't cope with him already. I want him out. A lot of Everton fans predicted what would happen almost perfectly when he came. They said the same when he first came to Everton, as well (iirc). Mainly that's he's tactically inept etc. Which is all true and he hasn't changed that.

He's a mid-table, mediocre manager that isn't capable of managing a team of United's standard. He held Everton back, which is evident with what Martinez is doing.

The thing is, we have to be honest. As an Everton fan, he did save us from extinction. we wre almost relegated when he took over and made us a respectable side. So me talking bad about him would just be unjust and is just ungrateful for all he has done for use.

Having said that, I have said it before as well, He is fantastic executive Manager, but horrible Manager, if that makes sense. He can build a foundation, create a long term solution to problems and can manage a club as whole in a very orderly and an organised fashion. He is respectable by the players and certainly can make his team play to his strength and almost go far using that methodology.

However, while he can use his players play to his strength, he honestly doesn't know how to play the players to their strength which makes him frustrating. As you said, he is tactically inept. Have one way of playing which is a counter-acting football that relies on brutal strength and one dimensional play. That is why his record against the likes of Tottenham, Chelsea and Man City was so good, because these teams tended to attack which allowed his team (at Everton to soak pressure and hit them on counter-attack). However, When teams, such as Reading, Stoke and Villa never attacked but built their games slowly, he tended to show his frustrating side of ineptitude by... losing. His man-management skills are absolutely appalling, likewise, his substitution.

I could write a lot more, we get the idea. He masked his own shortcomings by allowing us to have a foundation and build slowly on our aggressive style of play to people like Willbury and Fergie (and the media) and that is what made him a frustrating character.

As much as I appreciate his work, I am gald he is gone. Martinez or not.

Without undermining Moyes' work at Everton, and overrating Martinez work, its fucking stupid to ignore the actual management that is going at the present day rather than using the whole picture as an argument.

jtb

Banned
We don't know that Martinez will do better than Moyes at Everton. they play prettier football, but it's still pretty likely that they'll finish 5th. then what? the window to qualify for CL football is already pretty small (basically, this season or bust, imo), and it'll get even smaller when clubs that are stronger financially like Spurs and Utd get their shit together.

Martinez is doing a good job at Everton but I think we're far from knowing he's an upgrade over Moyes. Though I do think securing fourth would go a long way for Martinez (when compared to Moyes)

Are you not afraid of the unknown? Look at UTD...rough transition. Or are you at the point where in your mind all you can hear is..."stahppppp staaaaphhhhhh"

I think we have no choice but to gamble on someone new. Wenger can't do this job anymore, he's not cut out for it. I don't think we're in a position where we have a lot to lose by shaking up the status quo because the status quo isn't working.

faridmon

We don't know that Martinez will do better than Moyes at Everton. they play prettier football, but it's still pretty likely that they'll finish 5th. then what? the window to qualify for CL football is already pretty small (basically, this season of bust, imo), and it'll get even smaller when clubs that are stronger financially like Spurs and Utd get their shit together.

Martinez is doing a good job at Everton but I think we're far from saying he's an upgrade over Moyes. Though I do think securing fourth would go a long way for Martinez (when compared to Moyes)

I think everyone are quite good at ignoring that (deliberately or not), while I am happy with Martinez and the season so far whatever happens, I am as reluctant as many of you with the second season syndrome. But that doesn't change the fact that I was really frustrated by Moyes' lack of ambition and his negative attitude towards us and I am glad to see the back of him, while appreciating the job he has done.

Please, can we refrain spinning words of hopes of progressiveness into one of animosity towards Moyes, like many other posters do (I am not directing this to you but generally)

Kikarian

The thing is, we have to be honest. As an Everton fan, he did save us from extinction. we wre almost relegated when he took over and made us a respectable side. So me talking bad about him would just be unjust and is just ungrateful for all he has done for use.

Having said that, I have said it before as well, He is fantastic executive Manager, but horrible Manager, if that makes sense. He can build a foundation, create a long term solution to problems and can manage a club as whole in a very orderly and an organised fashion. He is respectable by the players and certainly can make his team play to his strength and almost go far using that methodology.

However, while he can use his players play to his strength, he honestly doesn't know how to play the players to their strength which makes him frustrating. As you said, he is tactically inept. Have one way of playing which is a counter-acting football that relies on brutal strength and one dimensional play. That is why his record against the likes of Tottenham, Chelsea and Man City was so good, because these teams tended to attack which allowed his team (at Everton to soak pressure and hit them on counter-attack). However, When teams, such as Reading, Stoke and Villa never attacked but built their games slowly, he tended to show his frustrating side of ineptitude by... losing. His man-management skills are absolutely appalling, likewise, his substitution.

I could write a lot more, we get the idea. He masked his own shortcomings by allowing us to have a foundation and build slowly on our aggressive style of play to people like Willbury and Fergie (and the media) and that is what made him a frustrating character.

As much as I appreciate his work, I am gald he is gone. Martinez or not.
Absolutely spot on. I don't disagree with anything you've said.

Like you said, he builds a future-proof team. But that isn't what's required at clubs at the higher end of the table. They need change quickly and fluently in order to maintain success. A mid table side requires a future-proof scheme in order to keep their position for the long run with no hassle of relegation. He feels safe knowing the fans aren't with high expectations (In terms of winning the league etc). Now he has got that, he feels out of his depth and only knows what he's built on, which is building a future-proof team. But as I said, that mentality doesn't work at the top end of the table.

Moyes creates a team to be taken over by another manger. He builds a decent squad, that requires someone else's input from then on. That's why Martinez is doing a good job. He has the foundries of a decent team which Moyes had, but he can also adapt what Moyes couldn't which is multiple philosophies and a modern approach which is what I think Moyes lacks. He doesn't have a modern approach to tactics etc.

By no means do I think Martinez is the saviour of Everton. We haven't seen enough of him with Everton to make that assumption yet. I'm looking at him in the present. I can definitely see improvements by him for the future in terms of the football he's got Everton playing. But I'm mainly looking at him in the present.

jtb

Banned
I think everyone are quite good at ignoring that (deliberately or not), while I am happy with Martinez and the season so far whatever happens, I am as reluctant as many of you with the second season syndrome. But that doesn't change the fact that I was really frustrated by Moyes' lack of ambition and his negative attitude towards us and I am glad to see the back of him, while appreciating the job he has done.

Please, can we refrain spinning words of hopes of progressiveness into one of animosity towards Moyes, like many other posters do (I am not directing this to you but generally)

one thing that'll be interesting with Martinez is how he fares in European competition next season, since he'll be definitely be playing in either one of the CL or EL. the EL seems to be a black hole that consistently destroys seasons, but I think Everton definitely have the talent to make a strong push in the competition if they wanted to focus on that. especially since two-leg ties are where tacticians really get a chance to shine.

faridmon

Absolutely spot on. I don't disagree with anything you've said.

Like you said, he builds a future-proof team. But that isn't what's required at clubs at the higher end of the table. They need change quickly and fluently in order to maintain success. A mid table side requires a future-proof scheme in order to keep their position for the long run with no hassle of relegation. He feels safe knowing the fans aren't with high expectations (In terms of winning the league etc). Now he has got that, he feels out of his depth and only knows what he's built on, which is building a future-proof team. But as I said, that mentality doesn't work at the top end of the table.

Moyes creates a team to be taken over by another manger. He builds a decent squad, that requires someone else's input from then on. That's why Martinez is doing a good job. He has the foundries of a decent team which Moyes had, but he can also adapt what Moyes couldn't which is multiple philosophies and a modern approach which is what I think Moyes lacks. He doesn't have a modern approach to tactics etc.

Exactly. that is why him going to Man United of all places was a wrong step in both sense since both of them aren't comparable. Man United is not a team that is in need to be built for future competition (whether that is a champions League competitor or not remains to be seen) Man United is a former Champions who need a fast calibration in order to compete as soon as possible with the giants. One could argue that they don't have players to do so, I say then another Manager would have been suitable for making the most of that team.

I could have seen him do well at clubs like Newcastle or Villa, but Man United? Forget it..

faridmon

one thing that'll be interesting with Martinez is how he fares in European competition next season, since he'll be definitely be playing in either one of the CL or EL. the EL seems to be a black hole that consistently destroys seasons, but I think Everton definitely have the talent to make a strong push in the competition if they wanted to focus on that. especially since two-leg ties are where tacticians really get a chance to shine.

Yeah, but I don't think we have the depth to compete in Europe. Be it CL or EL. CL would be fantastic (just to screw with Arsenal and their fas :p) but we just can't handle that and The league at the same time.

I would rather us build for the future and go for it in a year or 2. But again we will have people like Willbur who will just yell ''Hurr Hurr Martinez ain't better than Moyes lolz''

Cool Wooden. I really need to play Bravely Default. I love old school JRPGs probably more than any other genre, when done well. I have played Persona 4 like 4 times through now and I don't even want to know how many hours that has entailed.

It's an old school JRPG in a lot of ways, but with all the many annoyances that I at least get frustrated with, when returning to the actual old JRPG's. Something as relatively small as being able to turn off random encounters at any time is just really nice, no more completely pointless battles.

GorillaJu

Martinez has got Everton playing in a very Martinez way, which is intricate passes, recycling possession and bursting through space in the center on the counter.

However it's worth mentioning that last year Everton under Moyes were fantastic – and they didn't have a wealth of quality attacking options like Lukau or Deulefeu, nor did they have Barry, who apart from one or two stinkers has been a rock for Everton.

That Everton have improved under Martinez can't be argued. But it's been one season and too early to say that it was an exceptional signing to bring him in. Moyes didn't play Barkley and that's been a high point of Martinez's tenure so far, but I feel like it's the same as blaming Dalglish for not playing Sterling. Everyone saw the potential that's there, but Sterling was just too young and not physically imposing enough to play week in and week out. And of course Rodgers is getting credit for bringing him into the team, but Dalglish knew about Sterling and his potential, he can't be blamed for not using him when he was just too young at the time.

Barkley was being touted as the next great Everton talent before Moyes left for Man United. You can be absolutely sure that Moyes was aware of him. It was probably just too early.

The media wankfest over Martinez is also insufferable at times. They've got three loanees who come from the world's best clubs. Any manager of a mid-table team would be cumming buckets at the prospect of getting a Barça youth star, an 18m target man from Chelsea, and a PL-winning England international in midfield. Put it into perspective and it makes enough sense that they'd be where they are.

Salazar

The media wankfest over Martinez is also insufferable at times. They've got three loanees who come from the world's best clubs. Any manager of a mid-table team would be cumming buckets at the prospect of getting a Barça youth star, an 18m target man from Chelsea, and a PL-winning England international in midfield. Put it into perspective and it makes enough sense that they'd be where they are.

Aye.

Someone will nab Lukaku. No danger there.

faridmon

Yeah, Moyes wasn't wankfested by the media. And being bloody annoyed by Loanees, oh please, cry me a river will ya!

The bloody Bitterness is insufferable. As I said...

You know what, I am off to sleep. I have written everything I could why this change was needed, but My points keeps being ignored. Good Night!

ugh, have to wake up in 4 hours :/

GorillaJu

Yeah, Moyes wasn't wankfested by the media. And being bloody annoyed by Loanees, oh please, cry me a river will ya!

The bloody Bitterness is insufferable. As I said...

You know what, I am off to sleep. I have written everything I could why this change was needed, but My points keeps being ignored. Good Night!

ugh, have to wake up in 4 hours :/

You call it bitterness, but I call it perspective. A few years ago when Newcastle were storming, I said here that I still don't think Pardew is a good manager and Newcastle's players deserve plaudits but Pards can't be considered for manager of the year or singled out as being one of the best in the league. I was blasted for that opinion.

I'm not saying that Martinez isn't a good manager anyway. It's just that the reactions to Utd's misfortune and Everton's performances have belies reality.

faridmon

You call it bitterness, but I call it perspective. A few years ago when Newcastle were storming, I said here that I still don't think Pardew is a good manager and Newcastle's players deserve plaudits but Pards can't be considered for manager of the year or singled out as being one of the best in the league. I was blasted for that opinion.

I'm not saying that Martinez isn't a good manager anyway. It's just that the reactions to Utd's misfortune and Everton's performances have belies reality.

I can see where you are coming from now, but honestly as I stated, A change is welcomed, whether its Martinez or not. Moyes was a Media Darling as well, if not more than Martinez, and the hate for Loan deals we have done is ridiculous, at the same time belittling our progress (using loanees as an argument), I am talking about the now and the present. I am happy with pur performance so far, but who knows, we might be the championship the season after the next, that doesn't change the fact that Moyes had his shortcoming and You all should stop being annoyed by little hope and enjoyment of our season.

You call it perspective, I call it being fallacious ( I am sorry but that is what it looks like)

I should fucking Sleep :/

José Mourinho;107502029 said:
What's this I've been reading about this format "killing CPUs"?

It just overloads your cpu like crazy, especially if there's several embedded ones on one page. We need a proper new format to replace gifs, but this will never be it.

It just overloads your cpu like crazy, especially if there's several embedded ones on one page. We need a proper new format to replace gifs, but this will never be it.
Hmm, I just watched the one linked and my CPU usage only went up by a few percent -- although it is a capable i7. Perhaps, as you say, multiple clips really show the impact. But it seems pretty good given the quality jump.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom