• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 13/14 |OT18| Coming Early by L. Piscium

Status
Not open for further replies.
672443316256430888.gif

My weirdest boner yet.

WJD

Just went to instigate sex with the girlfriend but she did a really smelly curry fart and now I don't want to.

Fuck life.

arkon

Pep would be shouting "Welbz you can score?! You can score!" in training, followed by a nice little pat on the head. Proper mates.

Arnie

If Brendan can love John Flanagan he can love Danny Welbeck

(who legitimately is a hero and a superb player despite the fact he doesn't score often enough)

Imagine a world in which world class professionals actually gave the tiniest turd kernel about 'dat guy'.

9uHP6Pf.png

Wilbur

Banned
Imagine a world in which world class professionals actually gave the tiniest turd kernel about 'dat guy'.

http://i.imgur.com/9uHP6Pf.png[/IM][/QUOTE]

[IMG]http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view/1062458/metapod-o.gif

Seriously though, thought you'd be the type to like Welbeck considering his qualities. Might have the composure of bud in a bedroom, but still look what else he offers. Intelligent, Pizarro-like runs, good in close quarters situations, runs all day, presses, unselfish, fast, beautiful hair

Clegg

Welbeck is a weird one. There are games when I wonder if he can even trap a ball correctly. Then the next game he goes and scares Real Madrid or Bayern Munich shitless.

WJD

Love Danny.

Though I remember both his finish and celebration against Derby that time and cry a little. Those #strong #black #legs need to stop turning into jelly the second he smells the box.

Wilbur

Banned
hnnnnnggggggghhhhh

However, something has been missing from the Bavarians play in the knock out stages of the world’s pinnacle club competition this season. Where is the exhilarating football that helped Heynckes and his side demolish the Catalans 7-0 in last season’s semi-final with a perfect blend of passing and physicality?

Although his counterpart at the Allianz Arena last night David Moyes has been this season’s tinkerman with countless changes to his starting line-up during his first 50 games at the helm, Guardiola refuses to leave his team be. The Spaniard is undoubtedly a master tactician and remains intent on changing formations and giving players new, unspecified roles.

For all his tinkering, the aim of the game remains the same – keep the ball at costs. But sorry everybody, it’s getting boring. When Bayern Munich legend Franz Beckenbauer declared a little over a month ago that ”In the end, we [Bayern Munich] will be unwatchable, like Barça. They’ll be passing it backwards on the goal-line,” I was glad someone finally said it.

It seems harsh to call the reigning European champions that possess such a string of hugely talented players boring, but that is what they have become in my eyes.

Furthermore, Arjen Robben’s accusation that the Red Devils employed tactics similar to a handball team during the first leg at Old Trafford was ludicrous. If either team resembled a handball side it was the Germans. Yes, the fast paced sport with six outfield players is often built around counterattack, but once they reach the final third they set up camp and begin to probe, moving the ball from one side to the other until drawing a defender out of position to pounce.

This is precisely what Guardiola has set his team out to do in the Champions League. It is frustrating to see Munich reach a promising position only to prefer to make another simple pass rather than risk putting a ball into the danger area for fear of losing possession. When Bayern claim, which is becoming increasingly often, that only one team wanted to play football, it’s nonsense.

Guardiola’s style can produce magical pieces of free flowing football in glimpses, but I see it as a defensive system. Choosing to keep the ball obviously means that your opponent can do little without out, but Bayern have become guilty of not doing enough with it at times. Slowly sucking the life out of a team with death by a thousand passes is not a joy to watch.

If anything, I now enjoy and take the side of the team that is against such a system as it is arguably the sternest test of any defensive unit. Teams have adapted to playing against opposition that like to dominate possession, but if everyone played like Bayern the tournament would be far less exciting.

Of course, once your team is perfectly drilled it will inevitably bring success to the Allianz Arena, but for the neutral their matches have become dull. Will we ever see a Guardiola side fly out of the block likes Atletico Madrid last night to leave Barcelona reeling? It is unlikely, they are more likely to be on the receiving end, like at the Emirates when Arsenal had them on the ropes until Mesut Ozil missed a crucial penalty.

Bayern would rather ease themselves into the game and get their rhythm going before showing any attacking intent. I find it remarkable that they have dominated games for large periods but still found themselves on the back foot against far inferior outfits like United at Old Trafford. Moyes’ men arguably showed more of a threat and enjoyed the better chances. Bayern have the players within their ranks to go for the jugular but choose not to.

Given that I have grown up on the all action style of the Premier League I crave attacking football and plenty of goal scoring opportunities, not a slow build up that could equally end up with a backwards pass as an effort on goal. Guardiola and his pupils at La Masia may well recoil in horror at the suggestion he has now managed to make one of Europe’s best teams and made them dull, but last night’s victory proves is methods will always result in victory.

Bayern began the game with a frankly ridiculous 2-3-2-3 formation with his full-backs effectively utilised as extra midfielders. However, this nullified their threat from the wide areas as a lack of overlapping runs from the full-backs left the wingers Robben and Franck Ribery in a difficult position. In the second half he reverted to an orthodox system in a 4-2-3-1 formation that broke away from his philosophy and returned to the hallmark of the tactics used throughout Heynckes’ treble campaign.

Considering they are in the semi-finals and have brushed aside two English sides en route it is strange to criticise Bayern, but with Atletico Madrid and their old nemesis’ Chelsea two of the sides waiting for them in the draw, who are capable of outstanding counterattack and defensive work, Guardiola’s hopes of success could hinge on his insistence to stick to his tedious game plan or try something new to him but traditional to the rest of the footballing world.

http://www.squawka.com/news/2014/04/10/boring-boring-bayern/2014041094774

Milner gets way too much shit on here, he's never going to be a brilliant player, but he's obviously very useful for a side like City... and one of the better English midfielders, which however might just speak more about the English national team, than his qualities.

Welbeck is... Welbeck. Honestly think he was one of the best players from United against Bayern, but he's about as composed in front of goal, as me in front of a naked chick offering her services to me.

Edit : what, I swear I didn't read Wilbs post about naked chicks and composure before writing this. Must have glanced over it and it stuck to my mind.

Wilbur

Banned
Milner gets way too much shit on here, he's never going to be a brilliant player, but he's obviously very useful for a side like City... and one of the better English midfielders, which however might just speak more about the English national team, than his qualities.

Welbeck is... Welbeck. Honestly think he was one of the best players from United against Bayern, but he's about as composed in front of goal, as me in front of a naked chick offering her services to me.

Edit : what, I swear I didn't read Wilbs post about naked chicks and composure before writing this. Must have glanced over it and it stuck to my mind.

I should have said bud in a brothel innit. Imagine bud given the freedom of a harem.

and he lives somewhere near amsterdam

c h r i s t

and he still dreams of pussy

j e s u s h f l a n a g a n

I'll stump up the euros myself

Wilbur

Banned
I didn't know they let Jupp Sikaffy write articles there.

Pretty accurate though, innit. Obviously calling it boring and all that is subjective, but when he says it is a defensive system and then chastises Bayern for doing what Barca did time and time again by saying 'only one team came to play football', it's right.

What's going on in here then?

Sup. Saw that photo of you doing bambi impresisons on ice. Hope you didn't break your hip or anything.
Zioey3m.png

I should have said bud in a brothel innit. Imagine bud given the freedom of a harem.

and he lives somewhere near amsterdam

c h r i s t

and he still dreams of pussy

j e s u s h f l a n a g a n

I'll stump up the euros myself

I thought he lived somewhere in the south where all the hobos lives. Bacon told me about them, animals all of them apparently.

Elchele

Pretty accurate though, innit. Obviously calling it boring and all that is subjective, but when he says it is a defensive system and then chastises Bayern for doing what Barca did time and time again by saying 'only one team came to play football', it's right.

Obviously the possession system that Guardiola uses is a defensive system, if the rival doesn't has the ball he can't attack you. That's why he sold most of our DMs at the start of the season, he didn't see the point

I'm the first one to point out how boring Pep's tactics are compared to Heynckes', but it is pretty weak to point that out from the english front when the only thing they have on the cards is parking the bus when you are facing a stronger side.

Pep's tiki-taka is dull, but at least it isn't as depressing as defending with 10 players in your own area.

What Manchester United did is valid, but the phrase 'only one team came to play football' is true in this case. Even if that team came to play boring football

L1NETT

Welbeck is amazing. Said it since Day zero. Just like I can't believe it's not Buttner

--

Here's one for United fans (mostly KidA)

Adnan goes to City for 25 mil say...but...

Moyes leaves the day after

Yay

Or nay

Wilbur

Banned
Parking the bus is the stupidest fucking term in world football.

Look.

Bayern have ten players in the opposition half. It makes 100% perfect sense for said opposition to have eleven players in the opposition half so to clog up space and stop Bayern from finding gaps.

That isn't boring. That's logical reaction. If Bayern want to keep the ball for 75% of a match, then expect the other team to defend for 75% of a match. Whether that's pressing you intently (which may work up to a point when you're playing Augsburg in a meaningless Bundesliga match) or by sitting back and denying you space to break into the box, both are absolutely viable tactics that are a reaction to the tactics employed by Guardiola.

Could it be different? Yeah, we could have a fucking roided up team of monsters like Atletico, but I think at the Allianz they'd play similar to how we did last night. Martino's Barcelona leave so much space in defence it's un-fucking-real.

Fucking parking the bus is equivalent to sitting back and trying to deny space. Fuck off. It's just a salty fucking term thought up by Mourinho as an excuse one day that aesthete bandwagon dildoes have jumped onto.

Yen

Obviously the possession system that Guardiola uses is a defensive system, if the rival doesn't has the ball he can't attack you. That's why he sold most of our DMs at the start of the season, he didn't see the point

I'm the first one to point out how boring Pep's tactics are compared to Heynckes', but it is pretty weak to point that out from the english front when the only thing they have on the cards is parking the bus when you are facing a stronger side.

Pep's tiki-taka is dull, but at least it isn't as depressing as defending with 10 players in your own area.

What Manchester United did is valid, but the phrase 'only one team came to play football' is true in this case. Even if that team came to play boring football

i5Y2QvMGzIFbN.gif

Elchele

Parking the bus is the stupidest fucking term in world football.

Look.

Bayern have ten players in the opposition half. It makes 100% perfect sense for said opposition to have eleven players in the opposition half so to clog up space and stop Bayern from finding gaps.

That isn't boring. That's logical reaction. If Bayern want to keep the ball for 75% of a match, then expect the other team to defend for 75% of a match. Whether that's pressing you intently (which may work up to a point when you're playing Augsburg in a meaningless Bundesliga match) or by sitting back and denying you space to break into the box, both are absolutely viable tactics that are a reaction to the tactics employed by Guardiola.

Could it be different? Yeah, we could have a fucking roided up team of monsters like Atletico, but I think at the Allianz they'd play similar to how we did last night. Martino's Barcelona leave so much space in defence it's un-fucking-real.

Fucking parking the bus is equivalent to sitting back and trying to deny space. Fuck off. It's just a salty fucking term thought up by Mourinho as an excuse one day that aesthete bandwagon dildoes have jumped onto.

There's a difference between 'pressing and defending with order and intelligence' and what Manchester United did. Bayern last season gave away possession to Barcelona and yet we didn't sit back in our own area with 10 players.

What Moyes did is even worse than what Guardiola does.

Wilbur

Banned
There's a 35 year old Blackburn fan at my uni too, he carries a picture of Kenny Dalglish in his wallet. It's so weird, I keep telling him you can save photos on your phone nowadays but he refuses to.

I thought he lived somewhere in the south where all the hobos lives. Bacon told me about them, animals all of them apparently.

The Netherlands is the size of London he could be at the land of the prostitutes in eleven minutes on a train

No, we came to play counter-attacking football. You came to play possession based football. I can't be bothered to post exactly what I posted above this again, but "depressing as defending with 10 players in your own area" is a direct tactic to cede possession and deny space. It's simple, isn't it?

Welbeck is amazing. Said it since Day zero. Just like I can't believe it's not Buttner

--

Here's one for United fans (mostly KidA)

Adnan goes to City for 25 mil say...but...

Moyes leaves the day after

Yay

Or nay

Nayyyyyyyyyy. Adnan will deliver us from evil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom