• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 13/14 |OT18| Coming Early by L. Piscium

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arnie

Go back to your dinner, psyche.

Just cracked my first bottle of Peroni.

Making a creamy tomato and chilli king prawn spaghetti very soon.

Feet up on my sofa with the house to myself.

Won £60 on Skybet, with money left in my account for further bets.

Kompany potentially injured.

oh what a beautiful day

Lakitu

st5fu
Given that the strength of Liverpool is in the system and the coaching, rather than the personnel, I'd say you're wrong.

With three really good additions this squad can compete in both, although I don't doubt we might struggle to match this seasons tally. We've still got players like Allen, Lucas and Agger on the bench already.

Doicare in talking rubbish shocker.

Slizz

oh what a beautiful day

Peroni is a great compliment to what you're cooking. Sounds delicious.

GQman2121

Banned
I can't believe Spurs came back and got a draw.

I can believe that Everton are in the drivers seat for fourth. But I still think Arsenal have the easier end of the season and will likely eke out the final CL spot.

Which 3 lots of dropped points have irked you most this season, at the time and in hindsight?

1) Newcastle away - Went into the second half against 10 men, with the score level. Conceded the lead again, and never looked like winning after our second equaliser

2) Aston Villa at home - Clawed back a 0-2 defecit quite early after an arrogant team selection and setup, and then just conceded the momentum for no reason, and never looked like scoring the winner

3) West Brom away - That Toure error. Just didn't look comfortable, West Brom were shit and we just let them get the upper hand. The fact is was Anichebe who scored.

Chelsea away is up there, since we played pretty badly but still 'deserved' a draw, but ended up losing.

Clegg

This is a fairly reasonable argument from doicare tbf. We have to prove next year that we can compete to a degree on at least 2 fronts, and I can't say with 100% certainty that we will.

We could even get into a league position where I'd rather finish fourth in the CL group stage (assuming we get there) than third.
But it'll continue until we get to the usual obstinance and tedium.

Scum

oh what a beautiful day

Niiiccceeee!

I can believe that Everton are in the drivers seat for fourth. But I still think Arsenal have the easier end of the season and will likely eke out the final CL spot.
The geniuos of Inter Tim Tactics Tim.

I hate the new Wembley and i'm not even there

Awful stadium, looks even worse with the 15 Wigan fans in one end.

New Wembley is a dogshite place.

what the f
img-photo-le-sosie-d-hitler-a-dortmund-1397232577_x610_articles-182669.jpg

Marc

Everton's second half performance is exactly why we have such a shit record at home.

Teams know if they play narrow and deep, we will simply not score and with such a slow midfield and defence we are incredibly prone to counters. We have no reliable goal scorer from midfield if you stop Johnson getting onto his left, and we have no 'fox in the box'.

I genuinely think we've scored less than 10 goals at home this season which is astonishing. We hit 3 against Chelsea once... but conceded 4.

We need a rebuild whichever league we ended up in. A season down below will allow Gus to spread the roots of his style on the team much more I think.

I do legit think we will spend max 2 years down there. Lowest we've finished in my life watching SAFC is 3rd in that league.

Yeah, the team is very slow which ruins your ability to do counter attacks which is a vital skill when fighting for survival. You can keep the ball well but a lack of penetration and a top goalscorer holds back that kind of football.

All the bad teams that survive have the ability to score goals or barely concede, Sunderland do neither well at the moment. In the championship you definitely need a goalscorer, Wickham will do better in that league but Gus will probably want someone else. Assuming Poyet isn't sacked.

Depending on who you keep and can afford to keep on their wages I think you will come straight back up. Problem is your youth products as you rely on them more in that league, or loans I guess. Gus and Sunderland will have good premier league relations so could get a few good loans from a City, Chelsea and United I reckon. Maybe get Zaha and Moses on loan to help the speed element (move Johnson more central perhaps, if he stays), suited to that level as well.

Anyone you want to lose, or want to keep but will end up losing?

Arnie

Which 3 lots of dropped points have irked you most this season, at the time and in hindsight?

1) Newcastle away - Went into the second half against 10 men, with the score level. Conceded the lead again, and never looked like winning after our second equaliser

2) Aston Villa at home - Clawed back a 0-2 defecit quite early after an arrogant team selection and setup, and then just conceded the momentum for no reason, and never looked like scoring the winner

3) West Brom away - That Toure error. Just didn't look comfortable, West Brom were shit and we just let them get the upper hand. The fact is was Anichebe who scored.

Chelsea away is up there, since we played pretty badly but still 'deserved' a draw, but ended up losing.
Villa and West Brom moreso than Newcastle. Thought the latter were good on the day and deserving of a point.

We just shit ourselves in the other two, though.

Don't get me fucking started on Hull.

Clegg

Irksome dropped points:

Conceding late to Southampton (draw)
Conceding late to Cardiff (draw)
Conceding late to Fulham (draw)
82 fucking crosses
Losing to West Brom at home

Wilbur

Banned

Agreed

Clegg's list is the one. Six dropped points in the last minute of games this season. We'd be a point behind Arsenal if not for them.

Villa and West Brom moreso than Newcastle. Thought the latter were good on the day and deserving of a point.

We just shit ourselves in the other two, though.

Don't get me fucking started on Hull.

The Hull and Southampton matches are just weird for me. They both played exceptionally well, and we didn't know how to handle them. When the game is set up for us to win, it does my head in more than when we just get outperformed.

The goals we conceded to Hull though...

Sagna has to do better there. Flagna would have scored :p

Bumhead

Banned
The "League One" side took more than Hull or Wigan

Not bad considering they left 10,000 tickets unsold for their last visit. Obviously drawing the Woodwork Blades out.

I wouldn't be even remotely surprised if Wigan win this. Despite Leicester and Burnley walking the league somewhat, Wigan are easily the best team in The Championship this season for me. They've got momentum and form (last week aside) and are a strong, effective side.

GQman2121

Banned

We got lucky. Defended well after the early goal, but Eto'o was fortunate with both of our goals. I am excited that our game at Anfield could be the title decider though. Like, crazy excited.

what the f
img-photo-le-sosie-d-hitler-a-dortmund-1397232577_x610_articles-182669.jpg

Looks a poor shop to me.

Also, I clicked the multi-quote + thingy and your avatar instantly changed. Threw me back for a second as I've never seen that happen before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom