• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/12 |OT10| Silverware, promotion, survival, relegation and tears

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carbonox

A player like Gary Hooper will probably end his career with 0 caps for England, just because of the league he plays in. Even though he's been a bigger talent than Jelavic up here and he's storming the Premier League.

No way he should have gone to this tournmanet, obviously, but seeing how he would do in a few friendly games wouldn't have hurt.

Honestly, I'd like Newcastle take a punt on him. We need some new strikers to replace the riff raff we're selling/releasing. Plus with Ba and Cisse off to the African Cup of Nations in January, that would leave us with just Ameobi and his brother. :lol I reckon we could get Hooper for a decent price too.

Wilbur

Banned
It's a sad day indeed. Absolutely "gutted" as you guys like to say.

I know I'm going to get flamed to high heaven for saying this, but I'd give damn near any limb off my body to have Jurgen Klopp manage Liverpool. You really don't get much better - but there's no way we could prize him off of Dortmund (and with good reason).

How about Pep? ;D

Klopp would be brilliant (as would Pep obviously) but any new manager's going to want to get in there and clear out the deadwood, bring his own people in. Massive upheaval needed.

This. It would be a massive gamble at this stage. I have no doubt that Martinez is a good manager, who will turn into a quality manager if given time at a club with slightly lower expectations.

Liverpool isn't a club for up and coming managers to cut their teeth.

Completely. I can't think of much stupider moves. If he stays at Wigan and they finish top 10 for 2-3 seasons then fair play; if he moves to Villa and they're challenging for a Europa League place then yeah also. But now? No.

I would happily take Rafa. If FSG are so obsessed with stats, then it could be a match made in heaven. It's probably going to be Martinez or AVB, however. The latter I wouldn't mind - I'd love to seem him back in the PL with something to prove.

I didn't see the whole England press conf. Did anybody mention Paul Scholes?

If its AVB, we'd have to get rid of Carragher and possibly Gerrard as soon as.

andylsun

What a poor England line up. Never been one that considers England a top flight international team, so getting a round or two in the knock out stages is all I expect.

Shame for Rio (as I'm a West Ham fan). What's amazing is looking at the West Ham team sheet for 98-99 and now seeing where all the players are! Damn, we were good back then.

Edit: Member! When did that happen! Thought I'd be junior for ever.

scarybore

Kind of surprised Dalglish is gone, thought he would get another season but I can understand why he's gone. Be interesting to see who Liverpool go for next, I'd like to see Benitez back there but I don't know if Liverpool fans or players/staff feel the same way.

Plasma

Banned
I didn't see the whole England press conf. Did anybody mention Paul Scholes?

No most of the questions were predictably about Ferdinand but after the conference he has another round of interviews with the paper journalists so you might see some stories go up later tonight about it.

Clegg

The stadium plans were put into motion by H&G but were clearly farfetched and too expensive. So now FSG will have to come up with an alternative plan. Comolli was signed because he spent too much for average players. Kenny was sacked for poor results in the league.

I think FSG have made the right decisions so far.

The stadium plans were put into motion by H&G but were clearly farfetched and too expensive. So now FSG will have to come up with an alternative plan. Comolli was signed because he spent too much for average players. Kenny was sacked for poor results in the league.

I think FSG have made the right decisions so far.

The replacement will determine whether this is the right choice

Wilbur

Banned
This has to be a fake:

AtBnt25CMAIIt-x.jpg

LegoArmo

No most of the questions were predictably about Ferdinand but after the conference he has another round of interviews with the paper journalists so you might see some stories go up later tonight about it.

The press gave him a much easier time than I was expecting. They should ask some proper questions for once.

Okay, thanks.

If its AVB, we'd have to get rid of Carragher and possibly Gerrard as soon as.

That ought to be on the agenda anyway. Or at least someone has to tell Gerrard he's not 26 anymore.

Mastadon

Banned
Kind of surprised Dalglish is gone, thought he would get another season but I can understand why he's gone. Be interesting to see who Liverpool go for next, I'd like to see Benitez back there but I don't know if Liverpool fans or players/staff feel the same way.

Most fans would love him back.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Dalglish had to go. He got the team playing really well in the second half of 10/11 then spunked £100m on useless players and made them umpteen times worse. Scraping to a league cup victory against a Championship side shouldn't paper over the cracks, he never convinced as a modern league manager.

Carbonox

He would be a gamble but he could be a star. Newcastle could loan Macheda or Keane from united.

^ lol he's giving woy the people's eyebrow

Are you taking the mick now? :p I wouldn't touch Macheda with a barge pole. Don't know anything about Keane.

We have Sammy Ameobi and Ryan Donaldson (and god knows who else) in terms of young strikers. We need a good striker to back up Cisse/Ba or a top striker should Ba leave, then have a 3rd choice along with Shola.

PaulLFC

Rumours are we've approached a currently employed PL manager. So if true it'll be Martinez, Rodgers or Lambert then... :/

I'm gutted for Kenny. He deserved time and he didn't get it.

PaulLFC

Definitely confirmed now:

Kelly Cates ‏ @KellyCates
Devastated for Dad but incredibly proud of the job he's done. Thanks for all the lovely messages already. Have a good summer x

:(

Zabojnik

Depends. Do you have a 3G phone that you can read mobileGAF on? How else are we going to cry like babies when Del Piero scores a hattrick.

The napoletani are convinced they've totally got this, so if there'll be tears, it will be over Cavani's hattrick. You know this to be true. We are already dead.

Juve is being linked with both Van Persie and Cavani. But it seems like if it's going to be possible, it'll be either one or the other of course (but imagine both!).

I'm torn. I think both strikers have their advantages. I think Van Persie is, frankly, a better striker, and I know he'll immediately benefit from playing in front of our midfield. I think once he hits his stride in Serie A, he'll be able to easily hit 20-25 goals. But that's the problem: I'm afraid he'll take a long time to adjust. See: Huntelaar for a prolific Dutch striker who could not adjust in Serie A. Goal.com is saying Juve is out of the race because of RVP's wage demands, but if today's Arsenal talks don't go as planned, then it's game on. The guy is 28. If he's going to try another European league it might be now or never. But that's why Cavani is, in some ways, a better option. He's already a Serie A veteran with a proven goal scoring record. He's Conte's type of player, coming back to help the defence, a tireless runner, creative on and off the ball. On the other hand, Juventus has a sordid recent history of prolific strikers who come to Juve and after a year of amazing football decide that their time is best spent cleaning the hot tubs rather than scoring goals. But, we'll also have to pay out of our ass because De Laurentiis hates us.

I think, all told, we'll probably end up with Cavani and hope things work out. He's younger, he's got a national teammate in our ranks in Caceres (Elia doesn't count as a national teammate of RVP :lol) and he'll slot in perfectly into our system. But I hope we don't come to regret not going for RVP. He's just so clinical.

I was discussing this with a couple of bianconeri friends over a glass of fine slovenian wine the other day. We ended up agreeing that it will indeed take a special kind of CF to take advantage of our style of playing. An old-school striker like Trezeguet or Toni would be useless for us. What we need is someone that'll be a) willing to participate in the ball retaking phase, a tireless runner, especially when we're playing with 4-3-3, because you can't expect the three midfielders to do all the dirty work b) able to hold and defend the ball up front for more than a couple of seconds, giving our midfielders time to run past him and into the box c) a clinical finisher, someone with an outstanding shots taken / goals scored ratio.

Basically, we need Mourinho's Eto'o. :)

Az

I have some sort of built up hate for Ferdiand. Maybe because he looks like that BangBus guy and I am jealous of him.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Would like to see him in the Championship first. Or a team like Wigan at best.

In just over 2 weeks he'll be in the Championship so we can all see how he performs there ;)

But yeah if we don't go up he's gone, if we do go up he's maybe gone, hard to say but It all depends on who comes looking I guess.

Wilbur

Banned
The next manager needs to be a big name.

Fans will be all over FSG otherwise.

If it's Martinez, Lambert or Rodgers, I'll fucking die laughing. Needs to be a foreign name, proven with league campaigns. Emery would have been good but he's gone to Russia I think?

LegoArmo

18 months, over 100m spent, and the team regressed in the league.

It's clearly the right decision. I guess he went to Boston, they asked him to explain, and he responded like he does to Sky's reporters.

Also, I hope it's not Lambert, I actually like him, and I think he's the best young manager in Britain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom