• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/12 |OT10| Silverware, promotion, survival, relegation and tears

Status
Not open for further replies.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Today is the first final between Monterrey and Santos in Mexico!

I don't particularly care who wins so I'll just post pictures of the fans:
dSQCa.jpg

8tzSi.jpg

9xiyy.jpg

5QGvq.jpg

PSx7Y.jpg

n18Ug.jpg

XMU5S.jpg

Hixx

Benitez will get the job, the Scousers will hail it as the second coming of Christ, vomits will be had by everyone else and so life will go on.

rodvik

It's worth mentioning that Harry only has a year left on his contract. Great PR, makes good signings, has only spent £16 million the past two seasons, and has lead Spurs to the top four twice in three years.

Should he not be considered?

Nice try mate. He is staying with you lot.

GorillaJu

It's worth mentioning that Harry only has a year left on his contract. Great PR, makes good signings, has only spent £16 million the past two seasons, and has lead Spurs to the top four twice in three years.

He's done really well over the past few years but there are enough things about him that would cause me to shy away. I'd want someone with a bit less baggage (and not just around the jaws)

He could but, it doesn't mean he should. He's in the CL next year, for starters. Probably has money to spend, and has a guaranteed part-time job after the Euros.

I can see why Liverpool would consider Harry, but I don't see any reason why Harry Redknapp would consider Liverpool.

Garjon

Wow, RAWK is way more in favour of bringing back Rafa than I expected. There are even quite a few who are in favour of AVB; the hostility towards getting Rodgers, Lambert or Martinez is quite impressive though. It's actually not as embarrassing as I expected on there either, some of you will be disappointed to know.

dc89

Well I did say that's the problem when you look to your former legends to restore past glories. If they fail, the fans are emotionally attached and take it to heart, maybe rightly so.

It's a rash decision IMO, he should have had one more crack of the whip. No one will really know what has cost him his job, expensive transfers for players who have not performed, the handling of Suarez and how he wore a T-Shirt etc.

All I can say is chopping and changing managers gets you no where, look what City used to do. Imagine if they changed when Mancini missed out on CL by a couple of points.

Look at Chelsea and how they have chopped and changed, Liverpool don't want to go down that road.

GorillaJu

Are footballers getting better, or is it just easier to score now?

I think the latter. A good defence is a rare sight these days.

I dont think defenders are bad. I just think what constitutes Good defending is changing. Maintaining more possession and having quick CBs to stop a breakaway is becoming ever more important than good or strong tacklers.

I want Gomez's haircut - I currently look like Wolverine!

I'm fine with Kenny going, to be honest. It's the decision that should've been made a year ago.

Nevasleep

Just got the alert, kinda surprised by it actually. Thought they'd give Dogleash a bit longer.
Although now is a good time to be in market, right?

dc89

Former Liverpool boss Kenny Dalglish: "It has been an honour and a privilege to have had the chance to come back to Liverpool Football Club as manager. Of course I am disappointed with results in the league, but I would not have swapped the Carling Cup win for anything as I know how much it meant to our fans and the club to be back winning trophies.

"Whilst I am obviously disappointed to be leaving the football club, I can say that the matter has been handled by the owners and all concerned in an honourable, respectful and dignified way and reflects on the quality of the people involved and their continued desire to move the football club forward in the same way as when they arrived here.

"I would like to thank all of the staff at the club for their effort and loyalty. I said when first approached about coming back as manager that I would always be of help if I can at any time and that offer remains the same.

"Finally, I want to put on record my heartfelt gratitude to Liverpool's fans, who have always given me and the club their unwavering support. Without them neither the club nor I would have achieved anything."

Kenny's statement.

LegoArmo

I dont think defenders are bad. I just think what constitutes Good defending is changing. Maintaining more possession and having quick CBs to stop a breakaway is becoming ever more important than good or strong tacklers.

I don't know if the defenders are bad, but as seen in the Premier League this season, some usually solid defenders have let in a ridiculous amount of goals. The matches between the big teams are usually tight affairs but there was so many goals in them this year.

Could be a change in tactics, age catching up, or maybe more of a focus on speed in attack gives them less time to adjust, position themselves, and get tackles in.

TeegsD

Best CL striker ever: Mario Gomez.

2012%2f5%2fGomez-Top(A).png

2012%2f5%2fCL-AllTime.png

lol

Holy shit, Mario jardel. That guy practically led us to our last championship with the crazy amount of goals he scored. He defined poacher. He was always at the right place at the right time. We need a striker like him again.

danwarb

Apparently on the LFC website there is a video tribute to King Kenny, remembering some of his best games.

Jesus...

It's just free highlights of a few games from the Online subscription thing. It doesn't work for me, tried to watch Gerrard's hat-trick versus Everton.

Edit: I was looking at something else.

From his statement it sounds like kenny got a nice payout

To be fair he deserved to be sacked for turning up to an FA cup final looking like a scruffy tramp

Should have worn a spice boys suit

I'd like to see Rafa back in the premiership, his style was boring but he seemed to get the job done.

Has there been any news out of RVP meeting with Wenger and Ivan?

Meier

Henry and Werner ended the Curse of Bambino for the Red Sox and have turned them into legitimate perennial title contenders. They'll turn Liverpool around in time.

What's wrong with that?

Edit* Oh yeah, we should do tunnel cam and have videos of the player baking a cake

It does read a little strange. More like he's retiring than sacked.

However, time may prove that unifying the club and providing the Reds with a solid footing to move forward into a new chapter with owners Fenway Sports Group could turn out to be his greatest achievement of all.

Lightning

Banned

Are Liverpool a step up from Spurs? I don't think so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom