• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/12 |OT10| Silverware, promotion, survival, relegation and tears

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wilbur

Banned
18 months, over 100m spent, and the team regressed in the league.

It's clearly the right decision. I guess he went to Boston, they asked him to explain, and he responded like he does to Sky's reporters.

Also, I hope it's not Lambert, I actually like him, and I think he's the best young manager in Britain.

I think he's better than Martinez and Rodgers too. He just shouldn't go to a club as big as Liverpool, at least not yet.

GorillaJu

We don't know the situation or the details yet. Still I think many are correct - another season with Kenny at the helm could bring us further regression or stifle improvement. Him ending his run now, before the transfer window opens, is best for the club. He did a wonderful job lifting the spirits around the club, got us a trophy and a few players with potential.

Judging by the kind of comments FSG had about the plans to build the club, I'd say of any PL manager, Rodgers is the most likely candidate. He's focused on youth and possession football, and he is very good in the transfer market. He's also got a very good media personality, he isn't too old, and seems very well-minded, tactically.

That said, as Liverpool Football Club, you'd really like to see a top-tier manager come in. One (the best?) is available. I could see Pep genuinely looking at a good challenge, less stress than at Barça, and I think he'd fall in love with the city that has a similar separatist attitude to Catalunya. But he may be just too much for us. We're not good enough for Guardiola right now.

Garjon

Rumours are we've approached a currently employed PL manager. So if true it'll be Martinez, Rodgers or Lambert then... :/
NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO. I cannot stand those 'fans' who were calling for Martinez or Rodgers; they are simply taking advantage of mediocre performances from the entire league to force their way to survival. Besides, I'd say that both of those managers will need time before they can build a successful team.

And that's before the dressing room reactions, I don't want to even imagine what the atmosphere would be like in there on the opening game.

Right now, we need to hire a plethora of backroom staff as well who will no doubt leave along with KD. It's going to be one hell of a difficult 6 weeks for the Americans now.

Clegg

Big problems for Liverpool in the transfer marker now. Its probably going to take a while for the new manager to be appointed and by then other clubs will be in advanced negotiations with transfer targets.

By the time a new manager is selected all his preferred transfer targets might already be at new clubs.

Yes, FSG. We have no CEO, no Director of Football, no Communications Director, and now, no manager. I have no idea where the club is going. So much for stability.

We also have no Head Doctor. Brukner was sacked too. We have no stadium plans either, as Tony Evans has said repeatedly, and as I have I think mentioned every so often, the idea of redeveloping Anfield is a non-starter. It CANNOT be done. I've been round there many times, been to tons of games, you can't redevelop the place. It has to be a new build. Preferably of 70,000, but would we fill it right now?

Gutted for Kenny. If it's not Rafa back or AVB, then I'll be massively disappointed. AVB would be a big gamble, but at least he's got some track record. Those two are the only two currently available who might come to us that are a genuine improvement on Kenny. Capello maybe too, but I'm not sure he'd want the job.

Benitez has to return and be given time. There's no "He's too old" excuse either.

Fry

Sky Sports News ‏ @SkySportsNews
Alex McLeish approached for Liverpool manager position.

ihZDSLBBMZvvu.gif

GQman2121

Banned
I think supporters should be optimistic about the house cleaning that's currently taking place.

I don't believe Martinez is the answer - yet.

I also don't think bringing Rafa back is the right way to go. Is he interested? I know he loves the club, but do the fans still have love for him?

AVB would be an interesting appointment. I'm not sure he's the right fit but it would certainly shake things up at the club.

A David Moyes rumor is all that part of the country needs right now leading into Euro's. The drama would be fun for a few weeks.

We don't know the situation or the details yet. Still I think many are correct - another season with Kenny at the helm could bring us further regression or stifle improvement. Him ending his run now, before the transfer window opens, is best for the club. He did a wonderful job lifting the spirits around the club, got us a trophy and a few players with potential.

Judging by the kind of comments FSG had about the plans to build the club, I'd say of any PL manager, Rodgers is the most likely candidate. He's focused on youth and possession football, and he is very good in the transfer market. He's also got a very good media personality, he isn't too old, and seems very well-minded, tactically.

That said, as Liverpool Football Club, you'd really like to see a top-tier manager come in. One (the best?) is available. I could see Pep genuinely looking at a good challenge, less stress than at Barça, and I think he'd fall in love with the city that has a similar separatist attitude to Catalunya. But he may be just too much for us. We're not good enough for Guardiola right now.

It's not even close to being the same.

And I don't see that as a reason he loves Barca.

Anyhow he said he's taking a break so I don't see him talking any job for a while yet.

Meier

Maaaaan, I hope the FSC cameras were in the boardroom during these talks. That'd make for a helluva final episode of "Our Liverpool: Never Walk Alone."

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
I'm gutted for Kenny. He deserved time and he didn't get it.

The problem for the owners is that they know there is still massive investment required in the squad. Do they give the money to someone who spent fortunes on Downing, Henderson and Carroll? You can see why they thought not.

rodvik

Damn you Liverpool. Now you will be competing for managers we want.

Also Hodgsons ENgland squad. lol. That honeymoon didnt last long.

TeegsD

I'm surprised Kenny lasted this long. At least he's finally gone. If McLeish takes over, I'm going to laugh til I die, live stream and everything

GorillaJu

The owners wanted to operate the club like Arsenal. Could you ever see Arsene Wenger spending 18m on someone like Downing, and 35m on an Andy Carroll? My goodness.

Rumours that Ayre's going to go too...that'll leave Gerrard, Carra and the tea boy as the most senior figures at my club. Damn you Liverpool I should be working!

Rumours about Ayre are from Twitter, but from quite reliable people. Also claims that David Dein is the one FSG are listening to, he's pulling the strings right now apparently.

ATF487

Pep is a pipe dream.

I think Kenny leaving is for the best; although it was before my time, he was an absolutely brilliant player and manager before resigning after the Everton game, but at some point he has to be judged on what he has done recently. He gave the players a lift initially, but it hasn't been good enough since.

I would welcome Rafa back, and would be excited for AVB, but I don't think the time is right for Martinez/Lambert/Rodgers, both for them or for the club.

elseanio

Statement:

FENWAY SPORTS GROUP AND LIVERPOOL FOOTBALL CLUB PART COMPANY WITH MANAGER KENNY DALGLISH

Search for new Manager begins immediately as owners pay tribute to 'legend' Dalglish

Fenway Sports Group (FSG) and Liverpool Football Club announced that Kenny Dalglish is to leave his post today as Manager after having his contract terminated.

After a careful and deliberative review of the season, the Club came to the decision that a change was appropriate. It is not a decision that was reached lightly or hastily.

The search for a new Manager will begin immediately.

Principal owner John Henry was fulsome in his praise for the outgoing Manager.

"Kenny will always be more than a championship winning manager, more than a championship winning star player. He is in many ways the heart and soul of the club. He personifies everything that is good about Liverpool Football Club. He has always put the Club and its supporters first. Kenny will always be a part of the family at Anfield.

"Our job now is to identify and recruit the right person to take this Club forward and build on the strong foundations put in place during the last 18 months."

Liverpool Chairman Tom Werner said it was a tough decision, but ultimately one that needed to be made.

"Kenny came into the Club as Manager at our request at a time when Liverpool Football Club really needed him. He didn't ask to be Manager; he was asked to assume the role. He did so because he knew the Club needed him. He did more than anyone else to stabilize Liverpool over the past year-and-a-half and to get us once again looking forward. We owe him a great debt of gratitude.

"However, results in the Premier League have been disappointing and we believe to build on the progress that has already been made, we need to make a change.

"We are committed to delivering success for our supporters and our ambition remains resolute to return this great Club to the elite of England and Europe, where it belongs."

Kenny Dalglish's departure brings to an end his second spell at the Club where, as a player, he won numerous honours, including six English league titles and three European Cup trophies. As Manager he won three league titles, two FA Cups and of course this season, the Carling Cup.

Dalglish said he is proud to have served such a great Club.

"It has been an honour and a privilege to have had the chance to come back to Liverpool Football Club as Manager. I greatly appreciate the work that Steve, Kevin, the players and all of the staff put in during my time and feel proud that we delivered the Club's first trophy in six years winning the Carling Cup and came close to a second trophy in the FA Cup Final. Of course I am disappointed with results in the league, but I would not have swapped the Carling Cup win for anything as I know how much it meant to our fans and the Club to be back winning trophies.

"Whilst I am obviously disappointed to be leaving the football club, I can say that the matter has been handled by the owners and all concerned in an honourable, respectful and dignified way and reflects on the quality of the people involved and their continued desire to move the football club forward in the same way as when they arrived here.

"I would like to thank all of the staff at the Club for their effort and loyalty. I said when first approached about coming back as Manager that I would always be of help if I can at any time and that offer remains the same.

"Finally, I want to put on record my heartfelt gratitude to Liverpool's fans, who have always given me and the Club their unwavering support. Without them neither the Club nor I would have achieved anything."

Plasma

Banned
The owners wanted to operate the club like Arsenal. Could you ever see Arsene Wenger spending 18m on someone like Downing, and 35m on an Andy Carroll? My goodness.

Heh we were actually linked with Downing before you bought him, really glad we didn't sign him.

It's worth mentioning that Harry only has a year left on his contract. Great PR, makes good signings, has only spent £16 million the past two seasons, and has lead Spurs to the top four twice in three years.

Should he not be considered?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom