• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/12 |OT10| Silverware, promotion, survival, relegation and tears

Status
Not open for further replies.

elsk

Banned
It boggles the mind how Mario Gomez managed to score 40 goals this season.

I thought Ribery had a fantastic game. Bayerns best player by a mile.

Ribéry is in a good form, but our best players were Neuer, Lahm and Mueller... and then Ribéry.

On the Gómez topic, I'm not a fan of the guy but he had a terrible end of season in Cup, Bundesliga and CL. His goal against Real Madrid was very lucky, he hasn't scored in like a month I think.

I hope, after this shit we went today, the board decides to buy a new striker to fight for the starting spot. We always buy the best players (Ribéry) after a disappointing (no trophy) season.

Just buy Falcao ffs!

xintin

yeah, decided to finish this up and not let it go to waste
ibu2hwvpuf08AY.png

feel

Winning the Champions League is great because you get to see all your shit players making complete tits of themselves and acting like they're the reason the team won.

David May did this in 1999 and Bosingwa did it yesterday.
Bosigwa had a great match, terrible example. And a player should not have to measure his celebration based on how much he provided to it.

fuenf

gnah cant sleep :( got way to invested into this fucking game :(. Final thoughts on the game:

I'm starting to believe that fate just wasnt on our site. Cant really fault any of the penalty takers, after losing out against Dortmund the pressure on them was immense. I think for the shootout is was a giant disadvantage to play at home. Guess Chelsea doing well in the shootout was the direct result of Neuer's heroics against Real. They certainly trained their penalties and after that first save it was like Chelsea's players were saying, "screw this, playing it save wont work in this shootout, let's take high risk / high percentage shots." KUDOS Chelsea.

But I'm done trying not to criticise Bayern. Robben s*cks, i cant stand his playstyle anymore, it's not just the penalties against Dortmund and Chelsea. He's an egomaniac and he doesnt seem to trust any of his teammates. He wasnt bad by any means but i'm just done with the way he plays. I'm saying this fully aware that he will now probably go on to score a decisive penalty / goal against Germany at the Euros. :(

Bayerns tactics are abysmal and they have absolutely no flexibilty in their gameplay. Still proud of them, it's incredible that they even came this far but it's just sad.. it's really hard to criticise any of the players / coaches because they all gave their best. Tymo, Contento, Lahm, Neuer stepped up big time. Müller, Kroos, Schweini, Gomez, Ribery, Robben, Boateng were at least their usual selves. As a team they just werent good enough. :( just a horrible way to lose.

edit: Nice work xintin and congrats!

elsk

Banned
Thank God 90% of that bench is leaving. Good bye Olic, Usami, Breno, Petersen, Pranjic. Butt is going to retire but he's awesome, hope we could stay as backup GK but he's going to be in charge of a part of the youth system.

Anyway, with all those guys leaving (maybe Contento too, I hope not) we'll need to buy a lot of players in the summer.

Without buying anyone we would end up (currently) with 16 players. If we add our current signings:

+ Tom Starke (GK)
+ Dante (CB)
+ Shaqiri (RW/CAM)

= 19 players. I think we still need at least 2-3 more players. How many players we had during the van Gaal first season?

Fry

Well, at least The Social Network will be on HBO in a few minutes. #silverlining

... I fell asleep right at the beginning of the movie and just woke up. *sigh*

Clegg, Gomez is an amazing finisher, you won't see him justifying his goal-scoring abilities in every match though. He has been shocking for the past weeks, had those chances against Chelsea happened 1 month ago, he would have nailed it. It's all about confidence for him.

fuenf

Thank God 90% of that bench is leaving. Good bye Olic, Usami, Breno, Petersen, Pranjic. Butt is going to retire but he's awesome, hope we could stay as backup GK but he's going to be in charge of a part of the youth system.

Anyway, with all those guys leaving (maybe Contento too, I hope not) we'll need to buy a lot of players in the summer.

Without buying anyone we would end up (currently) with 16 players. If we add our current signings:

+ Tom Starke (GK)
+ Dante (CB)
+ Shaqiri (RW/CAM)

= 19 players. I think we still need at least 2-3 more players. How many players we had during the van Gaal first season?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009–10_FC_Bayern_Munich_season

22 (23 with the reserve GK) + a couple of players that were sold / loaned out during the season.

Dunno i'm not that excited about the transfer window. The players that could really help us (Kagawa, Lewandowski, RVP, Muniain) are unattainable and i'm not sure if they'll find good alternatives. Signing Drogba now would be a typical Bayern move *shudder* :(

elsk

Banned
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009–10_FC_Bayern_Munich_season

22 (23 with the reserve GK) + a couple of players that were sold / loaned out during the season.

Dunno i'm not that excited about the transfer window. The players that could really help us (Kagawa, Lewandowski, RVP, Muniain) are unattainable and i'm not sure if they'll find good alternatives. Signing Drogba now would be a typical Bayern move *shudder* :(

1. Buy Falcao
2. Win everything.

:p

I think the summer transfer is going to be way more interesting since we lost all our competitions.

fuenf

Clegg, Gomez is an amazing finisher, you won't see him justifying his goal-scoring abilities in every match though. He has been shocking for the past weeks, had those chances against Chelsea happened 1 month ago, he would have nailed it. It's all about confidence for him.

I think he was fatigued from having to play almost game this season. When Heynckes finally decided to rest him, it destroyed his chances to be top goal scorer and totally shot his confidence.

elsk

Banned
I can't believe the board payed 35m for Gómez. Just... c'mon.
He looked way better when he was in Stuttgart but still, that's a lot of money!

Fry

I can't believe the board payed 35m for Gómez. Just... c'mon.
He looked way better when he was in Stuttgart but still, that's a lot of money!

I know you don't like him, but c'mon, people are being harsh on him. Who scored that goal in the last minute against Madrid?

He scored a lot of decisive goals during the season, people don't give him credit enough and the guy has a lot of goals.

Kozak

Banned
I know you don't like him, but c'mon, people are being harsh on him. Who scored that goal in the last minute against Madrid?

He scored a lot of decisive goals during the season, people don't give him credit enough and the guy has a lot of goals.

On this day even Robben is not a worthy player of Bayern.

CHELSEAAAA

elsk

Banned

He missed more goals than the ones he scored against Real Madrid, he missed like 5-6 clear chances is you count both legs. He missed two clear chances yesterday.

It's ok if this missing goals thing was just something that happened to him in the match against Chelsea or in a two other matches. But Mario missing easy goals is a constant problem of him, that's why he isn't the starting striker in the NT. He really blew it in the 2008 Euro.

If we really want to win a CL, we need a striker like Falcao, Drogba, Ibra, etc. Or at least someone like Giroud, someone with ball control and first touch. You know, a complete striker.

On this day even Robben is not a worthy player of Bayern.

CHELSEAAAA

He hasn't been worthy since his last injury. He still made good goals before that (like vs. Zurich), at the start of the season, but since he came back from that long injury he just looks very shitty all the time. Thank God we already signed Shaqiri.

Fry

He missed more goals than the ones he scored against Real Madrid, he missed like 5-6 clear chances is you count both legs. He missed two clear chances yesterday.

It's ok if this missing goals thing was just something that happened to him in the match against Chelsea or in a two other matches. But Mario missing easy goals is a constant problem of him, that's why he isn't the starting striker in the NT. He really blew it in the 2008 Euro.

Im very curious to see how he'll do at the Euros (about Muller and Schweine, too).

fuenf

I dont even wanna watch the damned Euros :( (Let's not forget that winning them might be the hardest accomplishment their is in football, especially with our group)

Zabojnik

Fabio Paratici, our sporting director, was apparently approached by Liverpool, but refused their offer. So no Suarez for Krasic and Elia, I guess. :p Happy's staying with us though, he's done some great work and seems to be developing into quite an important international manager.

EDIT: I felt an earthquake here in Slovenia as I was signing off a few hours ago. The epicenter was near Bologna it seems. Hope Italy-GAF is ok.

Fry

I dont even wanna watch the damned Euros :( (Let's not forget that winning them might be the hardest accomplishment their is in football, especially with our group)

I for one can't wait for it, I'm a sucker for major international tournaments.

jtb

Banned
It blows my mind that Higuain is even available on the transfer market. Wasn't he the dog to Benzema's cat? Did all those missed sitters against Barcelona really destroy Mou's faith in him?

MPW

It boggles the mind how Mario Gomez managed to score 40 goals this season.

I thought Ribery had a fantastic game. Bayerns best player by a mile.

dat bundesliga! :p

bayern must be kicking themselves

so many chances wasted in the 1st half and robben pk miss

a german club lost to an english club in pk ... OMGWTFBBQ

MPW

It blows my mind that Higuain is even available on the transfer market. Wasn't he the dog to Benzema's cat? Did all those missed sitters against Barcelona really destroy Mou's faith in him?

well benz has improved

check higuain's cl goal scoring record and then compare it to benz

if higuain leaves, get me falcao (atletico didn't pay his entire transfer fee lol) or rvp

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
That Champions League thread was terrible.

Full of whiny bitches moaning about anti-football. I appreciate the way Barcelona have developed their football but I dislike some of the fans that have jumped on the bandwagon. Watching attractive football is great but when you are Chelsea, sitting deep and hitting on the counter is the best way to go. I still can't comprehend why people are so against this.

If this thread ever gets as bad then it should be nuked from orbit.

My opinion: Chelsea had no other option. Their best players are out and they were facing a team that knocked out Madrid playing football.

Even without any suspensions, Bayern were still the clear favourites. This is not like Inter-Bayern, where a team with Eto'o, Wesley and Diego Milito decided to play negative football just for the hell of it.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Chelsea won because they refused to be defeated. They are deserved champions, really. Mentality is also a huge factor in football, just ask Mexico. :(

Rad-

He is a CL choker, that's probably why. He's great in the league though.

Lightning

Banned
My opinion: Chelsea had no other option. Their best players are out and they were facing a team that knocked out Madrid playing football.
But Dortmund proved this season that you can beat Bayern by playing football. Dortmund achieved it multiple times this season since while Bayern have great attacking flair they are careless with possession, suspected defenders, and very easy to counter attack as Dortmund exploited with expert proficiency. So Chelsea had other options but choose not to take them, they are entitled to that. Chelsea done what was effective for them but are negative in general.

IMO, this CL campagin has been one of the biggest flukes I've ever witnessed. Napoli squandered countless chances, Barcelona blew countless chances as well and now Bayern have done the same. This is actually a very weak Chelsea side, how they have achieved this is unbelievable. Well done to them but ...... still a weak shitty team imo.

Apparently Anzhi Mahachkala is willing to pay Van Persie £300k a week in wages. They are also meeting with Lavezzi's agent. Looks like they really want to take the Europa League by storm this year. Too bad they'll crash and burn domestically.

Kozak

Banned
Dortmund also flopped in the CL.

League and Champions League don't mix and match. Champions League is a knoc kout tournament, you can't employ the same tactics as you would in the league.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
But Dortmund proved this season that you can beat Bayern by playing football. Dortmund achieved it multiple times this season since while Bayern have great attacking flair they are careless with possession, suspected defenders, and very easy to counter attack as Dortmund exploited with expert proficiency. So Chelsea had other options but choose not to take them, they are entitled to that. Chelsea done what was effective for them but are negative in general.

IMO, this CL campagin has been one of the biggest flukes I've ever witnessed. Napoli sdquandered countless chances, Barcelona blew countless chances as well and now Bayern have done the same. This is actually a very weak Chelsea side, how they have achieved this is unbelievable. Well done to them but ...... still a weak shitty team imo.

Obviously, but you can't compare this Chelsea to BVB!

rodvik

IMO, this CL campagin has been one of the biggest flukes I've ever witnessed. Napoli sdquandered countless chances, Barcelona blew countless chances as well and now Bayern have done the same. This is actually a very weak Chelsea side, how they have achieved this is unbelievable. Well done to them but ...... still a weak shitty team imo.

I agree they have been very lucky. I disagree it is a weak team though. I think probably the second or third strongest squad in the PL.

They have just been appallingly mismanaged.

I agree with you this Chelsea team could have done very well playing a different style this season but RDM just had them shut up shop, play the veterans and hope. It worked. Just.

AVB decided to publicly humiliate payers he didnt like, which backfired but at the same time he had them playing some pleasing stuff.

Chelsea could win things and dominate next season with such a great squad (plus no doubt they will strengthen).

We will see if RDM is the man to do it. Maybe Abramovich will decide he will stick with a lucky general. If I was him I wouldnt. RDM strikes me very much as the fortunate man of the hour. But hey, he just won the CL so he has the last laugh :)

Fuck you.
So what is it of note that Van Persie has won during his time at Arsenal? At this point in time Anzhi seems like a club with bigger ambitions.
Dan-Petrescu-008.jpg

Dan Petrescu coached Unirea Urziceni to the Romanian title in 2009 but the club were relegated in 2011 and have since gone out of business. Photograph: Vadim Ghirda/AP

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2012/may/17/rotten-core-of-romanian-football
Petrescu has done a really good job at Kuban Krasnodar this season. Apparently he might be coaching CSKA Moscow next year. It could be interesting to see what he can do at a club with a decent budget.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom