• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/12 |OT10| Silverware, promotion, survival, relegation and tears

Status
Not open for further replies.
Haters gonna hate

tumblr_m4amszXZg21qane2go1_1280.jpg

New Drog meme?

Wilbur

Banned
The more I think about it, the more I realize how improbable the Chelsea win really is.

Forgetting the heroics in the semis (Really, Messi misses a penalty AND Torres scores?!) the combined probabilities of:

• Gomez's shocking inability to convert any of his golden chances.
  • All of Bayern's shots seemingly finding a Chelsea defender.
  • Drogba converting that header off the corner in the 88th minute.
  • Arjen Robben missing the penalty in extra time.
  • van Buyten not converting his sitter in extra time.
  • AND Cech making the save against Olic to extend the penalty shootout

don't point to a Chelsea victory. But such is football. The harder one works, the luckier they get, yeah? It seems the Football Gods were on Roman's side today.
How much did he have to pay them?

This is not to discredit Chelsea at all, they played with the mettle and grit becoming of a champion and deserve their victory.

Although, it was sickening to see John Terry's grubby mitts on the Champions' League Trophy.

You're not only ignoring the countless shots Barca had, but the countless shots Napoli had as well. Fate smiled on Chelsea this year. It was just meant to be.

Clegg

I find it funny that the worse Torres gets, the more trophies he wins. He was diabolical in the world cup yet Spain still won and now he's won a champions league with Chelsea.

It's funny how these things can happen. He was possibly the best striker on the planet for a few years with Liverpool. And he won absolutely nothing with them.

Fintan

Just back from the pub. AMAZING! Absolutely incredible! I was so nervous the whole match. Mullet scores and that's it! The corner comes, my friend looks at me and says this the last chance. Weirdly he had joked About how Drogba would score in the 88' minute. And he did! Aaaaaah!

The Robben penalty save was great too. On the shoot out, I kept telling my self that Cech would get one, he'd gone the right way every time.

DROGBA, what a player!!! I'll miss him hugely if he leaves but what a way to end it!!!

Until Drogba scored Ashley Cole was my man of the match. All the way back to the Napoli game, in many ways he has been our best player.

I thought Luiz and Cahill did exceptionally and Bertrand was great.

So good!!!

rodvik

Just back from the pub. AMAZING! Absolutely incredible! I was so nervous the whole match. Mullet scores and that's it! The corner comes, my friend looks at me and says this the last chance. Weirdly he had joked About how Drogba would score in the 88' minute. And he did! Aaaaaah!

The Robben penalty save was great too. On the shoot out, I kept telling my self that Cech would get one, he'd gone the right way every time.

DROGBA, what a player!!! I'll miss him hugely if he leaves but what a way to end it!!!

Until Drogba scored Ashley Cole was my man of the match. All the way back to the Napoli game, in many ways he has been our best player.

I thought Luiz and Cahill did exceptionally and Bertrand was great.

So good!!!

This is a good point. Cole really is an amazing player.

Kazzy

I find it funny that the worse Torres gets, the more trophies he wins. He was diabolical in the world cup yet Spain still won and now he's won a champions league with Chelsea.

It's funny how these things can happen. He was possibly the best striker on the planet for a few years with Liverpool. And he won absolutely nothing with them.

Football, the fickle bitch.

Lightning

Banned
I'll have an Arsenal related avatar next season but I'm just waiting to see who our team will be. Hopefully RVP is still an Arsenal player because if he is my avatar will be of him!!!!

TeegsD

I remember that fucking night. My first time in Portugal. All my friends were like "fuck they have players like Beckham scoring penalties, we are done" and lo and behold. And then, Ricardo went into beast mode that lasted until the WC '06. Good times.

LegoArmo

The Chelsea and City players in the England squad should go in to the tournament in a seriously good mood. They might relax too much though.

MPW

150171_416434585056191_100000689597991_1301806_849544978_n.jpg

no back 2 back champs in cl - check
no host has ever won cl - check

i want camp nou to hold the cl final every year :p

Clegg

That Champions League thread was terrible.

Full of whiny bitches moaning about anti-football. I appreciate the way Barcelona have developed their football but I dislike some of the fans that have jumped on the bandwagon. Watching attractive football is great but when you are Chelsea, sitting deep and hitting on the counter is the best way to go. I still can't comprehend why people are so against this.

If this thread ever gets as bad then it should be nuked from orbit.

Full of whiny bitches moaning about anti-football. I appreciate the way Barcelona have developed their football but I dislike some of the fans that have jumped on the bandwagon. Watching attractive football is great but when you are Chelsea, sitting deep and hitting on the counter is the best way to go. I still can't comprehend why people are so against this.

Meus has steered close to some of those fans :p

sneaky77

I think Chelsea spends enough money on players that they should offer more than that, but it worked for them this yr so congratulations to them

Sloosha

150171_416434585056191_100000689597991_1301806_849544978_n.jpg

no back 2 back champs in cl - check
no host has ever won cl - check

i want nou camp to hold the cl final every year :p

Next CL final should be held at the Britannia Stadium on a rainy night. Then we'll see who the real champions of Europe are.

Agreed.

Clegg

It boggles the mind how Mario Gomez managed to score 40 goals this season.

I thought Ribery had a fantastic game. Bayerns best player by a mile.

Sloosha

Before the game, he was honestly the player I was worried about the most. Scored some brilliant goals during Bayern's CL campaign this season.

rififi

I haven't seen many Bayern games this year, but from the few I have seen (such as the one against Basel where he scored 4), he always seems to have excellent positioning. Maybe it is just his finishing that is inconsistent? idk.

Lightning

Banned

Watch Bayern in the league and you'll see why. He is a good finisher and reads the game really well getting into great positions, just didn't perform against Real Madrid and didn't perform against Chelsea. Aside from the penalty miss, which honestly can happen to anyone, I felt Robben was Bayern's best player.

The fact that Robben among others refused to take a penalty in the shootout was a letdown. Suck it up... So disappointing shifting responsibility onto your teammates to take the hit.

Clegg

Winning the Champions League is great because you get to see all your shit players making complete tits of themselves and acting like they're the reason the team won.

David May did this in 1999 and Bosingwa did it yesterday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom