• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/12 |OT10| Silverware, promotion, survival, relegation and tears

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salvadora

Hazard is asking for an awful lot considering he's only 21. If City and United opt of of the transfer then you couldn't really blame them.

Of course, if City don't get Hazard then they'll be in the market for someone else. Stay away from Shinji, you bastards.

It's more the fact that he hasn't even been proven at the highest levels. No doubt he is very talented but I do wonder how he will fare.

jtb

Banned
If Bayern had a strong-willed manager, someone with a great reputation whom those divas would listen to & obey (e.g. Pep or Mou), he could try to mold your players into better positions.
Assuming such a manager also would have to keep the current Bayern player (& play them for them not to get distressed), he'd probably try to put Robben on the left wing (he's left-footed after all). Ribery on the 10 and keep Müller on the team as right winger.

Robben(Mr. X) - Ribery (Mr. X/Kroos) - Müller (Shaqira)

This would probably work really great. Robben would have to lose his selfishness and stop doing his dumb trick (try to get towards the middle, near the box and shoot at the goal) and play more crosses. Ribery could easily fulfill the 10er role while Müller would do his Müller stuff.

Yeah, I think Real Madrid and Bayern ironically had the same issues... the wingers aren't... wingers. They keep cutting in, and while this works against the minnows to devestating effect, if it ain't broke don't fix it. with a classic number nine to put away crosses, RIbery and Robben on their "correct" flanks (with Shaqiri as another winger) constantly pumping crosses into the box would be a devastating alternative to the current tactic, especially against teams that clog the midfield by parking the bus.

Wasn't Ribery once the heir to Zidane or something? Haven't seen enough of him to see how he'd fit in the number 10 but certainly worth trying

elsk

Banned
What about counterattacks? You do play counterattacks too, you know? It's just that they never end up in goals.
How often does Milan do it? It's still better to have a striker capable of the things I described and having some tech. ability never hurts either.
There are more than enough (non-50m) strikers with better tech & dribblings than Gomez'.

Somehow, most Bayern fans fail to see how much 'damage' Gómez causes to the team, not because he's lazy (he's very hard working, actually) but because of his lack of technique. You can't expect a team like Bayern to rely on a player without ball control and a worse first touch than mine.

Everytime we counter attack with Robben or Ribéry, they have to stop and wait for Gómez.

I think Ribéry could start playing as #10 in a couple of years, right now he's our best winger. Robben... I don't know what the fuck Robben is; I probably would play him as a false 9.

fuenf

If Bayern had a strong-willed manager, someone with a great reputation whom those divas would listen to & obey (e.g. Pep or Mou), he could try to mold your players into better positions.
Assuming such a manager also would have to keep the current Bayern player (& play them for them not to get distressed), he'd probably try to put Robben on the left wing (he's left-footed after all). Ribery on the 10 and keep Müller on the team as right winger.

Robben(Mr. X) - Ribery (Mr. X/Kroos) - Müller (Shaqira)

This would probably work really great. Robben would have to lose his selfishness and stop doing his dumb trick (try to get towards the middle, near the box and shoot at the goal) and play more crosses. Ribery could easily fulfill the 10er role while Müller would do his Müller stuff.

Makes sense but i just dont see it. I think Bayern played his best football in the current system last season when Jonker took over. They had the perfect balance between offense and defense. Just like Jonker Heynckes tried to emphasize on defense but i think he gave the players too much offensive freedom. Bayern currently just doesnt have a consistent way to create chances, the attacking play just feels random and relies on individual play.

Clegg

I'd be very interested in seeing how Nick Powell handles the Premier League, presuming United have signed him.

He looks miles better than most players in League 2 and he's still very young so there is plenty of time for him to develop further. Of course the massive step up in quality will be a big challenge.

I'd be very interested in seeing how Nick Powell handles the Premier League, presuming United have signed him.

He looks miles better than most players in League 2 and he's still very young so there is plenty of time for him to develop further. Of course the massive step up in quality will be a big challenge.
I doubt he'll even play much.

Know nowt about him. Wonder what type of player he is. Seen a picture of him and he looks quite tall.

:( damn you barca.

I'd be happy if we only signed Kagawa, but even that move seems like it'll brake down somehow.
Don't worry it won't. I'm very confident we will get him. So far everything on that front has been positive.

Dibbz

What can we possibly achieve from selling Fabianski? He's as good a back up goal keeper that we're ever going to get. Great keepers don't like the back up role, especially to a very young keeper like Szczesny. It would be a waste of time, imo. We've got more important things to worry about in the transfer market than a back up goal keeper.
It's not about wanting to sell him. He wants to leave because he is in Szczesny's shadow at both club and country.

?! He lead Lille, yes Lille, to a cup and league double just last season and scored 17 goals from midfield this season.

Fair enough. He does sound like a complete idiot though. Seems like thee kind of guy that would just up and leave if he doesn't get what he wants at a club.

elsk

Banned

So if you get that guy and Kagawa you'll have 2 CAMs. Yeah, I think Kagawa is going somewhere else :p

@Phantast2k:
Bayern is way more awesome than Dortmund. Klopp is an ass, etc.

Man, I'm tired. Everyone who replied to me on this page is right, lol

/off to bed

:D

TrueBlue

Congrats, winning the thing the way you guys did (totally undeserved ;) ) must feel like the greatest thing in the world.

I just hope that Roman now loses his interest in football and starts a Formula 1 team or something like that ;)

Again, it hasn't sunk in. I'm incredibly calm about the whole thing, but man...when Drogba scored that penalty I went ballistic. I think liberating is the term for things now, we've finally become Champions League Winners. It's almost as if we paid back all the bad luck we suffered through the last seven years and applied it to this one campaign. Lovin' it. Just pure bliss.

Again though, I feel sorry for Bayern fans. That Blaburn dude gave a real classy post on the Champions League Final thread. It's heartbreaking to lose like that, especially after having so many chances in normal time.

Plus, Chelsea are sponsors of the Sauber F1 team now, so Roman already has that covered. ;)

K1LLER7

So if you get that guy and Kagawa you'll have 2 CAMs. Yeah, I think Kagawa is going somewhere else :p

we'll get both, loan Powell to Bayern to turn him into a star player, and then bring him back and push Cleverly to the bench. Everyone wins :)

Sloosha

Again, it hasn't sunk in. I'm incredibly calm about the whole thing, but man...when Drogba scored that penalty I went ballistic. I think liberating is the term for things now, we've finally become Champions League Winners. It's almost as if we paid back all the bad luck we suffered through the last seven years and applied it to this one campaign. Lovin' it. Just pure bliss.

Again though, I feel sorry for Bayern fans. That Blaburn dude gave a real classy post on the Champions League Final thread. It's heartbreaking to lose like that, especially after having so many chances in normal time.

Plus, Chelsea are sponsors of the Sauber F1 team now, so Roman already has that covered. ;)

Also, looks like we can keep Samsung as our Sponsor now :)

fuenf

What about counterattacks? You do play counterattacks too, you know? It's just that they never end up in goals.
How often does Milan do it? It's still better to have a striker capable of the things I described and having some tech. ability never hurts either.
There are more than enough (non-50m) strikers with better tech & dribblings than Gomez'.

Somehow, most Bayern fans fail to see how much 'damage' Gómez causes to the team, not because he's lazy (he's very hard working, actually) but because of his lack of technique. You can't expect a team like Bayern to rely on a player without ball control and a worse first touch than mine.

Everytime we counter attack with Robben or Ribéry, they have to stop and wait for Gómez.

I think Ribéry could start playing as #10 in a couple of years, right now he's our best winger. Robben... I don't know what the fuck Robben is; I probably would play him as a false 9.

Like i said i'm not saying you are wrong, i just dont believe it would've helped much. I would love for Bayern to be a counter-attacking team but that's just something they are not. Sure there are a couple of counter-attacks every game but even than it's just random play upfront. Neuers greatest strength might be his throwing but guess what, i dont think they scored a single goal after a Neuer throw. They just dont counter well nowaday, and that's not solely because Gomez.

Elsk you are right abot Gomez technique but it's worse when he plays with his back to the goal. He's actually a pretty good player on the counter-attack (not the last couple of weeks maybe), but just look back to his Stuttgart days. I cant believe that he lost all of that skill, I rather believe it's a lack of coaching (dunno why).

Edit: Good night Phantast, wish Bayern would play like Dortmund. ;)

Salazar

KILLER7 said:
Everybody wins

RuM1Z.gif

jtb

Banned
Maybe Fergie wants to collect AM's the way he has collected wingers.

FWIW I think Powell plays deeper than Kagawa.

At least Ferguson doesn't take attacking midfielders/strikers, then ruin them by turning them into wingers.

It worked once Aresne.
fHt6x.gif
fHt6x.gif

Clegg

I doubt he'll even play much.

Know nowt about him. Wonder what type of player he is. Seen a picture of him and he looks quite tall.

He's a midfielder that can play behind the striker or in a deeper role. I've only seen him play a few times but he's been very impressive in every game I've watched. He is a decent passer and has a wicked shot. Plenty of speed and balance too. I saw him dummy 2 defenders with a body feint, turn quickly on the ball and get his shot off. It went 20 feet over the bar but it was still an impressive piece of skill.

He's playing at a much lower level though. What comes so easily to him in League 2 won't be as easy in the PL. If United sign him then they'll probably loan him out to a Championship club. If he impresses in that league then he could possibly join Uniteds first team squad the season after.

This is all assuming that United sign him of course.

Because of that Chelsea win Spartak Moscow gets to start in the playoff round instead of the 3rd qualifying round of the champion's league. Chelsea is gonna get even more popular in Russia now.

He's a midfielder that can play behind the striker or in a deeper role. I've only seen him play a few times but he's been very impressive in every game I've watched. He is a decent passer and has a wicked shot. Plenty of speed and balance too. I saw him dummy 2 defenders with a body feint, turn quickly on the ball and get his shot off. It went 20 feet over the bar but it was still an impressive piece of skill.

He's playing at a much lower level though. What comes so easily to him in League 2 won't be as easy in the PL. If United sign him then they'll probably loan him out to a Championship club. If he impresses in that league then he could possibly join Uniteds first team squad the season after.

This is all assuming that United sign him of course.
Watching a few clips of his, looks to have good technique. Will be put to the test at the top level now. I doubt we will loan him though, it'll be his first season with us and the coaching staff and Fergie will want to get a good look at him and decide how they want him to progress. I could see us loaning him back to Crewe but I doubt it since they'll be playing in League 1 at best.

Of course, all dependent on us signing him :)

Clegg

Watching a few clips of his, looks to have good technique. Will be put to the test at the top level now. I doubt we will loan him though, it'll be his first season with us and the coaching staff and Fergie will want to get a good look at him and decide how they want him to progress. I could see us loaning him back to Crewe but I doubt it since they'll be playing in League 1 at best.

If we were to keep him at the club then he'd go an entire season without playing any real competitive football. Having him train with the first team would benefit him but he also needs games to help his development as a player.

If we were to keep him at the club then he'd go an entire season without playing any real competitive football. Having him train with the first team would benefit him but he also needs games to help his development as a player.
True, guess it just depends on how good he really is. Anyhow, seems to be highly rated so glad we're in for him.

K1LLER7

nice to see we're looking to sign midfielders. will never judge a upcoming player through youtube clips though, they even made Bebe seem a decent player.

btw, like the avatar :)

fuenf

Good n8, footy gaf! Time to start listening to some Taylor Swift music (getting desperate) and hoping to catch some sleep, certainly not the way i expected this day to end. :(

Congratz once again to Chelsea-GAF!

edit: seeing the picture: Congrats to Real Madrid-GAf as well.

Wilbur

Banned
Just going to reiterate my congratulations and commiserations. Apart from the fact the fuckers in the official thread crying about deserves and stuff shitted it up, I had a fun night. I almost want to say I can't even imagine how Chelsea and Bayern fans felt in the penalty shootout, but we went through it a few years ago and (thankfully) won. Then we lost two titles in a few years.

Your time will come Bayern, it definitely will. It was destiny that Chelsea would win tonight, against all odds with that team who have been together so long. Just wasn't going to happen, but you were comfortably deserving of the final place.

And as much as I hate the fuckers, I'm so happy that Drogba's won. So happy. He deserves it.

CAN WE GET SOME FUCKING KAGAWA NEWS NOW

Salazar

The Powell and Bebe scenarios are different.

Until I see him control a lofted pass, take a sensible throw, make a competent tackle, and have a shot on goal that doesn't make me want to die/throw up, I will control my anticipation.

A bit. If any of our other transfer schemes fall through, Powell is fucking IT. The Answer.

Lightning

Banned
The main disappointment in this was that Robben missed that damn penalty. Just like he missed the penalty against Dortmund. Robben better not be taking our penalities at the Euros....

Since we still don't have to qualify for the CL the result doesn't effect us but I really do feel for Spurs fans. They didn't deserve to lose their CL spot this way, just not fair.

Wilbur

Banned
The main disappointment in this was that Robben missed that damn penalty. Just like he missed the penalty against Dortmund. Robben better not be taking our penalities at the Euros....

Since we still don't have to qualify for the CL the result doesn't effect us but I really do feel for Spurs fans. They didn't deserve to lose their CL spot this way, just not fair.

Eh. They knew the rules at the start of the season and dropped a 10 point lead. In all honesty it should have been Arsenal missing out tonight. They only have themselves to blame.

Dibbz

lol but what a way to get knocked out of the CL.

The more I think about it, the more I realize how improbable the Chelsea win really is.

Forgetting the heroics in the semis (Really, Messi misses a penalty AND Torres scores?!) the combined probabilities of:

• Gomez's shocking inability to convert any of his golden chances.
  • All of Bayern's shots seemingly finding a Chelsea defender.
  • Drogba converting that header off the corner in the 88th minute.
  • Arjen Robben missing the penalty in extra time.
  • van Buyten not converting his sitter in extra time.
  • AND Cech making the save against Olic to extend the penalty shootout

don't point to a Chelsea victory. But such is football. The harder one works, the luckier they get, yeah? It seems the Football Gods were on Roman's side today.
How much did he have to pay them?

This is not to discredit Chelsea at all, they played with the mettle and grit becoming of a champion and deserve their victory.

Although, it was sickening to see John Terry's grubby mitts on the Champions' League Trophy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom