• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/12 |OT10| Silverware, promotion, survival, relegation and tears

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oxx

Now Roman has fulfilled his dream of winning the CL he can drop Chelsea and move on.

It's going to require quite a bit of investment to refresh the squad.

Although I hope he sticks around long enough to force through that Power Station stadium.

MPW

If you're going to play for an irrelevant club you might as well get paid well to do so. Sorry, Arsenal fans.

Ohsnap.gif

Zabojnik

11 hours to go. God, I hope all the partying in the last two weeks won't affect our performance tonight. Del Piero and Conte both seemed pretty confident at yesterday's press conference. Napoli is obviously as pumped as if it was a world cup final. I wouldn't mind losing to another team, but if Napoli wins we won't hear the end of it. :D

Coppa-Italia-pronostici.png

DAJE RAGAZZIIII!!!!!

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
11 hours to go. God, I hope all the partying in the last two weeks won't affect our performance tonight. Del Piero and Conte both seemed pretty confident at yesterday's press conference. Napoli is obviously as pumped as if it was a world cup final. I wouldn't mind losing to another team, but if Napoli wins we won't hear the end of it. :D

http://www.betbets.it/wp-content/uploads/Coppa-Italia-pronostici.png[IMG]

DAJE RAGAZZIIII!!!!![/QUOTE]

It did. The rumoured XI does not include Vucinic haha!

Rad-

So apparently it was Robben that chickened out on his penalty and gave it to Neuer. Damn that missed penalty really killed him yesterday, you could tell he lost all confidence in his game after that.

MPW

napoli didn't make to cl for next year iirc

will they sell cavani and hamsik this summer?

So apparently it was Robben that chickened out on his penalty and gave it to Neuer. Damn that missed penalty really killed him yesterday, you could tell he lost all confidence in his game after that.

didn't robben sign an extension with bayern recently? next few years of robben @ bayern should be very interesting

dc89

It's actually amazing that Neuer stepped up and actually scored... What a man.

Insane keeper. The pressure he was under must have been intense.

Like a young Paul Pogba.

Lol He's gonna be a world beater

He's going to Juve then right.

Cole was a beast today MOTM for me, dealt with Robben very well. Luiz had the best Pen, no keeper would've saved it.

Best left back in the world for me.

I've got a question to the neutrals that watched the game: what did you think was Bayern's biggest weakness? finishing or creating quality chances?

They simply could not finish. It cost them in the end.

He comes across as a bit of a wide boy.

iirc we don't have qualifying rounds.

Correct! All English teams straight in at the group stages.

No team has ever lost a European Cup in such agonizing fashion. We've done it twice.

It was real hard luck.

Can this night get any better for Chelsea fans?

Maybe.

The Telegraph - Chelsea move one step closer to signing Eden Hazard

It could come off. Doesnt he 'announce' tomorrow where he's going. I've never seen anything like this, it's a circus.

Telegraph said he was asking for 170,000 a week? The worlds gone mad.

2/3 teams can pay him that.

He got Ligue 1 player of the season 2 years in a row iirc.

looks a good player, but would take Barca's Sanchez personally. still disappointed we never went for him.

City tried, turned them down said he wanted trophies and not money. Ah well, we seem to be winning trophies without him!

Think we did. He only wanted Barca.

Did United go for him too

He's going to Arsenal.

The Powell and Bebe scenarios are different. Powell plays in England and has been watched by Premier League scouts and managers.

Until I see him control a lofted pass, take a sensible throw, make a competent tackle, and have a shot on goal that doesn't make me want to die/throw up, I will control my anticipation.

A bit. If any of our other transfer schemes fall through, Powell is fucking IT. The Answer.

LOL @ Bebe. I love his YouTube 'highlights'. Damn he's bad.

Haters gonna hate

tumblr_m4amszXZg21qane2go1_1280.jpg

Drogba is one hell of a troll.

That Champions League thread was terrible.

Full of whiny bitches moaning about anti-football. I appreciate the way Barcelona have developed their football but I dislike some of the fans that have jumped on the bandwagon. Watching attractive football is great but when you are Chelsea, sitting deep and hitting on the counter is the best way to go. I still can't comprehend why people are so against this.

If this thread ever gets as bad then it should be nuked from orbit.

Yeah, they must have thought cause Barca usually win stuff it's the only way to play football.

So Liverpool go automatically through to Europa group stages? Yay. Hate those early games to qualify

Insane amount of games if you have to qualify. You start in June or July right?

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Del Piero and Borriello starting, then? He can't be serious. I want a DIMMI DIRETTA DIMMI TUTTOOOO!!! goal tonight.
Lol, Mirko tweeted a picture of someone wearing that :p

I hope it's not Borriello.. you know you're a bad striker when you don't link up well with Del Piero :/

Hamsik is definitely staying. It's either Lavezzi or Cavani imo.

Zabojnik

Oh, they will sell Cavani alright. :trollface:

Seriously though, it's up in the air right now. Lavezzi is headed to Inter for sure (well, 99% sure). Hamsik wanted to leave badly last year, but has since then apparently changed his mind. Or maybe they promised him they'll let him go this year - he was strangely and wisely silent on the issue during the season. Cavani ... I don't see him leaving, frankly. For Napoli fans he's basically the new Maradona. If he leaves it will be for a crazy amount of money. De Laurentis, as pittoresque as he is, isn't stupid. Napoli is a very well run club and doesn't need cash. It would make no sense that they would sell all their best players after having worked so hard to get where they are today.

Oxx

Robben and Torres were both pretty cowardly.

I think Cahill said that he would have been up next in the shoot-out, so Torres would have been the 7th in line at best.

pappe

Oh, they will sell Cavani alright. :trollface:

Seriously though, it's up in the air right now. Lavezzi is headed to Inter for sure (well, 99% sure). Hamsik wanted to leave badly last year, but has since then apparently changed his mind. Or maybe they promised him they'll let him go this year - he was strangely and wisely silent on the issue during the season. Cavani ... I don't see him leaving, frankly. For Napoli fans he's basically the new Maradona. If he leaves it will be for a crazy amount of money. De Laurentis, as pittoresque as he is, isn't stupid. Napoli is a very well run club and doesn't need cash. It would make no sense that they would sell all their best players after having worked so hard to get where they are today.
So Napoli are the Spurs of Italy. Failing to qualify for UCL and will find difficult to hang onto their best players

Zabojnik

Lol, Mirko tweeted a picture of someone wearing that :p

I hope it's not Borriello.. you know you're a bad striker when you don't link up well with Del Piero :/

We'll have to wait and see I guess. Man, I'm so torn. On one hand I'm all for our second-liners playing in the final, since it was them who got as this far in Coppa Italia. On the other ... it's a fucking final. We're in it to win it, so the best possibile team should play.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
We'll have to wait and see I guess. Man, I'm so torn. On one hand I all for our second-liners playing in the final, since it was them who got as this far in Coppa Italia. On the other ... it's a fucking final. We're in it to win it, so the best possibile team should play.

I want Buffon too

Salvadora

I think Cahill said that he would have been up next in the shoot-out, so Torres would have been the 7th in line at best.

Its understandable why neither of them would want to take a penalty. Mentality is a huge part of it.

Sloosha

I heard Torres wanted to take the 5th one but they wouldn't let him.

dc89

Being patriotic :)

chelsea10.jpg

Surprised Terry didn't have a captains armband on his shirt.

---

I've noticed a trend happening on Twitter this season with footballers who are mouthy and disrespect other teams or bask in their failure.

Wayne Rooney - mocked the Toure's for losing in the final of ACN. Said 'funny that 2 Toures were there all the way and lost. Haha'
He finished losing out to them in the end.

Kyle Walker - after the City V Spurs match he wrote 'all you Man City you can talk now. We'll just see at the end of the season. Was you all there when City were no where to be seen. #gloryfans'
Finished with nothing this season & finishing 4th wasn't good enough now.

So Jack Wilshere needs to be careful! He'll curse Arsenal!

Joe

Napoli, cavani, and their fans deserve a trophy after all their good work the past 2 seasons. If they're going to lose though it might as well be against juve.....or palermo.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Napoli, cavani, and their fans deserve a trophy after all their good work the past 2 seasons. If they're going to lose though it might as well be against juve.....or palermo.

You didn't get the memo?

We're already dead.

vall03

But Dortmund proved this season that you can beat Bayern by playing football. Dortmund achieved it multiple times this season since while Bayern have great attacking flair they are careless with possession, suspected defenders, and very easy to counter attack as Dortmund exploited with expert proficiency. So Chelsea had other options but choose not to take them, they are entitled to that. Chelsea done what was effective for them but are negative in general.

IMO, this CL campagin has been one of the biggest flukes I've ever witnessed. Napoli squandered countless chances, Barcelona blew countless chances as well and now Bayern have done the same. This is actually a very weak Chelsea side, how they have achieved this is unbelievable. Well done to them but ...... still a weak shitty team imo.

man, I just remembered. I still can't believe we got a draw against a tired Chelsea and we're basically playing against their B team.

I blame it on the post!

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
"Roberto Mancini will be at Stadio Ferraris today to watch Sampdoria - Pescara."

Fuck off Mancini! He's scouting Verratti!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Salvadora

Perhaps his success was new manager syndrome and all that. But how could you deny the man a crack at it? It's the least he deserves. Gentleman.

To win the CL is no easy feat, He needs to have a go at it at least. I can understand the lack of experience argument but he has been brilliant so far.

What of Drogba Kyle? Do you think he's gone?
I hope not. I wish he'd just take a rolling 1 year deal. Perhaps after his recent performances he'll get the contract he wants though.

I'm all for freshening up the squad, but it would be great to keep some of our old boys just as long as they're aware that they are going to have to play a smaller role.

Mastadon

Banned
All this Champions League nonsense is getting in the way of the media reporting further unfounded speculation about the next Liverpool manager, which is clearly more important.

Wilbur

Banned
Sky Sports are saying Chelsea will have a permanant manager before the pre season tour. Don't think it's the best choice long term but RDM should be seriously fucked off if he doesn't get it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom