• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/12 |OT10| Silverware, promotion, survival, relegation and tears

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
The question is though, if Drogba goes, and then Torres form dips again, where does that leave Chelsea?

Surely the safer option for Chelsea would be to keep Drogba, especially after yesterday, and then invest in a younger, but proven striker to ease in as first choice over the next year or two.

Didn't they already spend £18m on Lukaku? They could easily rotate between Drogba, Sturridge and Lukaku up front.
Of course they won't, they'll buy another Shevchenko/Torres.

IceCold

It's a special stadium and a shit one as well. Worst stadium I've ever been to. 2 bathrooms for 38.000 people, two bares, the chairs are so close to the ones on the next row that after you sit, you can't get out of your sit because everyone would have to stand up to let you pass through, the fans from both teams get into the stadium from the same two entrances which is actually dangerous when the clubs can't stand each other. It's an ugly piece of concrete from the Salazar era so you can't ask for more actually.

Dude the stadium is over 70 years old. Cut it some slack.

Wilbur

Banned
We have been on the first spot from the fourth round to round number 31 and now we have thrown it all away with one match to go, fucking spineless rent boys, disgusting. Fuck this, can't believe we have thrown away champions league. So fucking angry, feel sick, like wanting to throw up. Should probably go get wasted but I just want to lock myself in and punch the wall. Come back Ståle. :(

Are you behind now? No chance of winning with the last game?

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
The solution to that would have been to not play him for Chelsea though and send him straight out on loan when we signed him.

Somebody obviously fucked up because Lukaku has wasted a year of his life doing nothing instead of developing.

jtb

Banned
Not starting Torres in the CL final must have felt pretty insulting, especially after he scored the winning goal at the Nou Camp and seems to have been in sharp form lately, and the fact that Kalou and Malouda are higher up the pecking order than you? That can't feel good for a striker that cost 50 million pounds :lol

I actually thought AVB invested a lot of faith in Torres; the problem was he got sent off early in the season and that totally interrupted his rebirth as a striker who remembered how to score goals. Remember reading a stat that at Porto, the strikers scored the vast majority of the goals, whereas at Chelsea, Torres and Drogba have been misfiring for most of the season... Without Drogba and Lampard to worry about, and with quality service, Torres will be world class again (hell, he's already looking fantastic again, even if on the wing). Just have my doubts as to whether Chelsea will build their team around an aging striker.

And I can't be the only one who doesn't rate Hulk? He's like the epitome of the FM wonderkid who has yet to impress on the big stage.

Apparently Chelsea have approached United over Rafael. LOL WHAT. No chance.

(This is according to Duncan Castles who IMO is quite a good source.)

The solution to that would have been to not play him for Chelsea though and send him straight out on loan when we signed him.

Sure. But he was bought and was needed in a match, so you send him in and Chelsea did manage to turn around the match with him on. Also seeing as Drogba is his hero who is probably going to be gone next season, he probably wanted to stay at Chelsea. Think he was meant to have a bigger role, especially when playing with two forwards seemed to be the new way forward.

elsk

Banned
dat bundesliga! :p

bayern must be kicking themselves

so many chances wasted in the 1st half and robben pk miss

a german club lost to an english club in pk ... OMGWTFBBQ

Yeah, that bundesliga, that's why he has more goals than CRonaldo, Benzema in the CL...

itgoYmZEws6qJ.png

If he played in La Liga then I expect him to score 100 goals.

He sucks anyway.

Are you behind now? No chance of winning with the last game?

Yes but the other team won't lose or draw, they are playing good football and the team they are playing against is pretty shit. We are 2 points behind. So furious, especially with our manager who has completely failed this season both as a manager and a sport director.

Wilbur

Banned
Yes but the other team won't lose or draw, they are playing good football and the team they are playing against is pretty shit. We are 2 points behind. So furious, especially with our manager who has completely failed this season both as a manager and a sport director.

The obvious answer is become a Wolves fan

Carbonox

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11678/7767173/Simpson-hopeful-of-new-deal

Danny Simpson still wants a new deal with Newcastle but only if his pay is on par with the rest of the top players at the club (I'd imagine 60k or above). His last offer which he and his agent turned down was 25k. :lol

On one hand, sure, he's a greedy shite for not accepting anything less than what others are getting. On the other, he's been an unsung hero for Newcastle this season and has played just about every single game for us. He definitely deserves a new contract.

I'm torn, especially because we're linked with better players like Debuchy who we could well acquire.

I recall Lukaku only signed because he got the promise he wouldn't be sent on loan straight away. I remember a lot of fuss about that agreement, he was claiming he didn't want to sign for Chelsea and not play straight away. Back then, Chelsea were blinded by his agent/Anderlecht's propaganda about his readiness to step in immediately too.

Turned out he wasn't quite ready yet and he's lost a year now, he's pretty bitter about it and just want to be loaned out to Belgian or Dutch league next season.

SAF doesn't fully trust Rafael though.

If he did then we wouldn't have seen Phil Jones playing at RB so often.
He doesn't but he certainly rates him. He's made close to 100 appearances for us already and he's only 21. I think Fergie manages Rafael in a much harsher way than he does many of out other young players, a bit like he used to with Nani.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Mancini and Attilio Lombardo (scout?) are in the stands and Verratti assists the first goal.

What the FUCK, Verratti? NO..flop! FLOP!!

Wilbur

Banned
http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11678/7767173/Simpson-hopeful-of-new-deal

Danny Simpson still wants a new deal with Newcastle but only if his pay is on par with the rest of the top players at the club (I'd imagine 60k or above). His last offer which he and his agent turned down was 25k. :lol

On one hand, sure, he's a greedy shite for not accepting anything less than what others are getting. On the other, he's been an unsung hero for Newcastle this season and has played just about every single game for us. He definitely deserves a new contract.

I'm torn, especially because we're linked with better players like Debuchy who we could well acquire.

If Simpson leaves and you get Douglas you won't have any British players in the first team. Pardew is new Wenger confirmed.

YOU'LL NEVER WIN ANYTHING

I recall Lukaku only signed because he got the promise he wouldn't be sent on loan straight away. I remember a lot of fuss about that agreement, he was claiming he didn't want to sign for Chelsea and not play straight away. Back then, Chelsea were blinded by his agent/Anderlecht's propaganda about his readiness to step in immediately too.

Turned out he wasn't quite ready yet and he's lost a year now, he's pretty bitter about it and just want to be loaned out to Belgian or Dutch league next season.

Yeh I remember that, but it was a really stupid move to be like that. I know Drogba is his idol and stuff but was he really going to get in the team ahead of Drogba and Torres? I think it was naive and he's lost a year because of it.

Hopefully he goes out on loan next season and does well.

For what it worth, he seems to have improved since he first joined, did well against Liverpool I thought especially considering how bad we were. We dropped off when he got subbed. I hope he's got a long future with us.

Wilbur

Banned
Mancini and Attilio Lombardo (scout?) are in the stands and Verratti assists the first goal.

Isn't he a Juve fan? Can't see him picking City where he'll have much more limited time as opposed to Juve.

Clegg

He doesn't but he certainly rates him. He's made close to 100 appearances for us already and he's only 21. I think Fergie manages Rafael in a much harsher way than he does many of out other young players, a bit like he used to with Nani.

I agree with you there. Rafael has the talent to be a top class RB. He can defend well and support of wingers in attack. He is prone to making stupid errors though. The game against Everton is a good example of this. And the quarter final against Bayern. That game still haunts me.

Yen

The question is though, if Drogba goes, and then Torres form dips again, where does that leave Chelsea?

Surely the safer option for Chelsea would be to keep Drogba, especially after yesterday, and then invest in a younger, but proven striker to ease in as first choice over the next year or two.

Like Lukaku or Sturridge?

Carbonox

If Simpson leaves and you get Douglas you won't have any British players in the first team. Pardew is new Wenger confirmed.

YOU'LL NEVER WIN ANYTHING

Haha.

I do wonder what will happen with Steven Taylor. Will he go back in to the first team (he was fucking sensational with Coloccini during our unbeaten run) or will he go on the bench due to whoever we sign as CB? Given that that player will be a foreigner and will require time to adjust, I would like Taylor to go back in to the starting 11.

Anyway, Alain Pardeaux is a genius.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Isn't he a Juve fan? Can't see him picking City where he'll have much more limited time as opposed to Juve.

Money buys love in football!

His idols are Del Piero and Pirlo, but with enough money I'm sure he could easily switch to Clichy and Gareth Barry.

Wilbur

Banned
I agree with you there. Rafael has the talent to be a top class RB. He can defend well and support of wingers in attack. He is prone to making stupid errors though. The game against Everton is a good example of this. And the quarter final against Bayern. That game still haunts me.

Fuck god yes, first half an hour was one of the best performances I've ever seen us put in. We ripped Bayern apart time and time again... Shame the red card came when it did.

He's still young though, we'd be mad to get rid of him. I'd have him ahead of Jones, he teams up well with Tony V.

I think as good as Rio's been this year, he's been used a lot more because of Vidic being out than he would have. Auditions for Vida's partner should be next season. Evans is probably ahead but I rate Smalling best.

Same with Terry, he should start getting phased out. Luiz and Cahill have shown they can handle it, Luiz especially needs to work on concentration though.

Feorax

Lukaku will be on loan for the forseeable future I would imagine. So it would either be Sturridge, or maybe look to bring in another striker. I wouldn't be surprised to see Chelsea go for either Falcao or Higuain if given the opportunity.

Wilbur

Banned
Lukaku will be on loan for the forseeable future I would imagine. So it would either be Sturridge, or maybe look to bring in another striker. I wouldn't be surprised to see Chelsea go for either Falcao or Higuain if given the opportunity.

Please not Falcao or Cavani. They'd score fucking bucketloads.

Higuain would come good eventually but he wouldn't be as strong initially I think. Would love to see him in the Prem though.

Yeah, that bundesliga, that's why he has more goals than CRonaldo, Benzema in the CL...

itgoYmZEws6qJ.png

If he played in La Liga then I expect him to score 100 goals.

He sucks anyway.

And none of those players have won the CL. At least Benzema and Cristiano have win La Liga.

What has win Mario Gómez this season?

elsk

Banned
And none of those players have won the CL. At least Benzema and Cristiano have win La Liga.

He won the double (league and cup) already. And I don't see how that relates to what I posted. Take it easy, man.

No te pongás pendejo.

He would actually flop at Man City :p

He won the double (league and cup) already. And I don't see how that relates to what I posted. Take it easy, man.

No te pongás pendejo.

Pendejo is a mexican expression, not spanish.

But let's talk about the topic. You state that Gomez sould score a shitload of goals in la Liga, don't you?

In which team? Falcao is a better striker and Ronaldo has scored 22 more goals. Messi doubled him.

La Liga is not as easy or shitty as you claim.

You try it too hard.

elsk

Banned
Pendejo is a mexican expression, not spanish.

But let's talk about the topic. You state that Gomez sould score a shitload of goals in la Liga, don't you?

In which team? Falcao is a better striker and Ronaldo has scored 22 more goals. Messi doubled him.

La Liga is not as easy or shitty as you claim.

You try it too hard.

Is not? ok. :)

Is not? ok. :)

No, it's not.

You seem to think that La Liga is all about Madrid and Barcelona, you should try to watch more Liga matches or at least, get informed about gow every fixature ends.

This season has been hard as fuck for the other 18 teams. The last fixature was incredible intense, and while other seasons relegation was at 40 points, this season has been at 43.

Might not be a very noticeable difference, but the fact is that it is.

Or for example, the struggle for CL and EL has been in 4 points.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom