• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/12 |OT7| Avaya ever heard anything like it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Next time go with this Sheik:
VdQZb.jpg

Over the two legs Joe Hart confirmed he is over rated at least he's entertaining though

Every single team time wastes when it suits as well

Edit: FurQ, not a stealth United fan although I suppose we do share a common trait, we have actually won the league, maybe you can join the elite in May. Until then...

I think I forgot to breath for the past 20 min. Outstanding effort from our boys but what the fuck was Renato Neto thinking? Stupid asshole almost fucked it all up.

dc89

This so damn makes up for us going out. We were shite, but City should have won that. Brilliant.

Also dc, what say you of the dive? You gonna keep avoiding it?

I didn't see it at speed. And I honestly didn't see the GIF. I've been watching the stream whilst playing FM and just posting when something worth noting happened.

Yeah it was a dive. And if the Ref would have booked him if he saw it was a dive. No excuse for diving.

But Sporting's feigning injury constantly was tiresome.

Corto

SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORRRRRRRRRRRRTTTTTTTTTTTTTTIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

Do you know Sporting de Portugal now MC? Completely crazy game. The two goalies in the last play were both excellent. The sweetest defeat ever.

Wilbur

Banned
I didn't see it at speed. And I honestly didn't see the GIF. I've been watching the stream whilst playing FM and just posting when something worth noting happened.

Yeah it was a dive. And if the Ref would have booked him if he saw it was a dive. No excuse for diving.

But Sporting's feigning injury constantly was tiresome.

Fair play. When he went down on the touchline he looked genuinely injured, De Jong trying to pick him up looked like a tool. The others I didn't agree with.

Fur_Q

Edit: FurQ, not a stealth United fan although I suppose we do share a common trait, we have actually won the league, maybe you can join the elite in May. Until then...

Well Jack Walker bought the league so you have as much in common with us as you do with that lot in Trafford.

sneaky77

I just hope we don't get a spanish team in the draw... more than anything cause I want to play someone we don't already play twice a yr.

I really don't care about which league is better than which. I follow the Premiership, but I acknowledge that sexy football is played elsewhere, like in La Liga (Barcelona were my 2nd team back in the 90s).

As a league though, La Liga isn't as exciting in terms of competition. It's always Barca and RMA. Not saying it's a bad league in all honesty, because any team facing those two would have a very hard time competing, no matter which country.

I think that's the point. It isn't that there isn't competition in La Liga, it's just that Barca are pretty much one of the greatest teams of all time and Madrid have the most incredible squad in Europe and are probably the best counter attacking unit I've seen since the Invincibles era Arsenal. I just don't like it when credit isn't given when it's due. Neither Man Utd or Man City have played weakened sides in the Uefa cup. Most of the absences were related to injury and in the case of Scholes he simply can't play 2 games a week any more. Bilbao didn't win because Man Utd didn't give a crap. I've seen Fergie send out weakened teams in the Carling Cup and CL games where they've already qualified. They were simply outplayed.

I'm sorry if I vented at you but I'm sick of the English media dismissing the quality of the other European leagues week in/week out and Sky's constant tub thumping. Especially when the conditions for why the premiership is the 'best' league changes every season. One year it's because the English teams are dominating the CL knockout stages. Next year it's because of the competition and passion at grounds. Year after its something else.

If its fan passion I'd nominate the Bundesliga.

If it's technique and the league with the best teams in the world then over the last 2 years it's La Liga.

If it's the title race that's the deciding factor then you could easily nominate Portugal this season. 3 teams within 1 point.

Anyway, sorry if it sounds like I'm ranting. Not really at you, just the English media in general.

Traffic in Manchester must be terrible, most of the City supporters only arrived around the 75 minute mark. It seemed like there were only Sporting fans in the stadium until that point.

Wilbur

Banned
Can you put a bet on the draws? If they're right will I be arrested?

APOEL Nicosia vs Bayern Munich
Marseille vs AC Milan
SL Benfica vs Barcelona
Real Madrid vs Chelsea

Atletico Madrid vs Valencia
Athletic Bilbao vs AZ Alkmaar
Hannover vs Metalist Kharkev
Sporting Lisbon vs Schalke 04

Well Jack Walker bought the league so you have as much in common with us as you do with that lot in Trafford.

Try again, we spent but we spent wisely, not like a 10 year old on champ manager.

Pretty much every signing we made before we won the league we sold for more (Shearer £3.3m - £15m, Sutton £5m - £16 or so mill) plus the year we won it both United and Liverpool spent more on one single player than we did altogether.

1 England GK Tim Flowers
2 England DF Tony Gale
3 England DF Alan Wright
3 Republic of Ireland DF Jeff Kenna
4 England MF Tim Sherwood (captain)
5 Scotland DF Colin Hendry
6 England DF Graeme Le Saux
7 England MF Stuart Ripley
8 Scotland FW Kevin Gallacher
9 England FW Alan Shearer
10 Republic of Ireland FW Mike Newell
11 England MF Jason Wilcox
12 England DF Nicky Marker
13 England GK Bobby Mimms

No. Position Player
14 England DF Lee Makel
15 England DF Richard Brown
15 Netherlands MF Richard Witschge (on loan from Bordeaux)
16 England FW Chris Sutton
17 Australia MF Robbie Slater
18 Scotland DF Andy Morrison
19 Scotland MF Peter Thorne
20 Norway DF Henning Berg
22 England MF Mark Atkins
23 England MF David Batty
24 England MF Paul Warhurst
25 England DF Ian Pearce
31 Republic of Ireland GK Shay Given

Jack was a true fan who did it right, he had money, success and class, your boys will get two of those but wont achieve the third.

Egav0.jpg

RIP Jack, you did it!

Andrefpvs

I think that's the point. It isn't that there isn't competition in La Liga, it's just that Barca are pretty much one of the greatest teams of all time and Madrid have the most incredible squad in Europe and are probably the best counter attacking unit I've seen since the Invincibles era Arsenal. I just don't like it when credit isn't given when it's due. Neither Man Utd or Man City have played weakened sides in the Uefa cup. Most of the absences were related to injury and in the case of Scholes he simply can't play 2 games a week any more. Bilbao didn't win because Man Utd didn't give a crap. I've seen Fergie send out weakened teams in the Carling Cup and CL games where they've already qualified. They were simply outplayed.

I'm sorry if I vented at you but I'm sick of the English media dismissing the quality of the other European leagues week in/week out and Sky's constant tub thumping. Especially when the conditions for why the premiership is the 'best' league changes every season. One year it's because the English teams are dominating the CL knockout stages. Next year it's because of the competition and passion at grounds. Year after its something else.

If it's technique and the league with the best teams in the world then over the last 2 years it's La Liga.

If it's the title race that's the deciding factor then you could easily nominate Portugal this season. 3 teams within 1 point.

Anyway, sorry if it sounds like I'm ranting. Not really at you, just the English media in general.

I like this opinion.

Madridy

slowclap.gif

I Agree.

Fur_Q

Try again, we spent but we spent wisely, not like a 10 year old on champ manager.

Pretty much every signing we made before we won the league we sold for more (Shearer £3.3m - £15m, Sutton £5m - £16 or so mill) plus the year we won it both United and Liverpool spent more on one single player than we did altogether.

Jack was a true fan who did it right, he had money, success and class, your boys will get two of those but wont achieve the third.

Egav0.jpg

RIP Jack, you did it!

AND you were still bankrolled, also you got the same criticisms were getting now.

"Blackburn bought the league who can compete blah blah blah"

Much respect for Jack Walker, if only Franny Lee had that kind of capital :(

Don't compare transfer fees from now to then, Alan Shearer was still the record transfer fee of the time, when bought.

Football is just a different (and much worse for it IMO) game these days

Just look at our owners, fucking disgrace

In the day we spent a lot for the time but invested wisely rather than throwing cash around everywhere, I feel city are getting better at that but the early days under Hughes still leave an impression

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom