• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/12 |OT7| Avaya ever heard anything like it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Will always laugh when Le Saux and David Batty came to blows all I thought was Hahahah what the fuck are they doing. Was in Russia wasn't it?

It was hilarious and also the campest fight ever, may have been Rosenborg, thinking about it we do have a lot in common we also embarassed ourselves in Europe :p

Anyway enough of the hostilities we can all agree that sports mixture have gone considerably downhill yes?

Great effort from City. Congrats Sporting.

Such a bad year for England in Europe. United and City have not flown the flag well at all. Let's hope we do better next year. Think we've done really well the last few years but this ones been a total write off.

Not surprised the "English-hate" is strong cos the English media really did milk our good times.

Think we'll come back well though. There is still great quality in this league and everyone's looking to improve.

Fur_Q

It was hilarious and also the campest fight ever, may have been Rosenborg, thinking about it we do have a lot in common we also embarassed ourselves in Europe :p

Anyway enough of the hostilities we can all agree that sports mixture have gone considerably downhill yes?

By the way we were promoted at Ewood Park 1-4 I know because I was fucking steam boats in your end (Riverside Stand) and had to fend off aload of rovers fans, stumbled onto the pitch at the end of it. Then woke up next morning with a Sky Sports pitchside microphone, HUH.

Still have it.

Pranay

I dont think their will be any sort of domination of league in ucl or el in coming times. tbh its great to see teams from different country in ucl making it into qf

Great effort from City. Congrats Sporting.

Such a bad year for England in Europe. United and City have not flown the flag well at all. Let's hope we do better next year. Think we've done really well the last few years but this ones been a total write off.

Not surprised the "English-hate" is strong cos the English media really did milk our good times.

Think we'll come back well though. There is still great quality in this league and everyone's looking to improve.

I don't think I would say it's hate. I don't hate the EPl. I don't hate Sky. I don't hate any of the English teams. What annoys me is the constant inferiority complex which still surrounds English football. It used to be the national team. It seems to have spread to club teams. Stan Collymore was accusing a Bilbao player of showboating because he could control a ball. There is no god given right for English teams to dominate Europe. Ditto Spain, Italy, Germany. It's cyclical. When you go around telling everyone how great you are and you fuck up, it's not gonna be a surprise if a few people make fun of you.

Wilbur

Banned
I don't think I would say it's hate. I don't hate the EPl. I don't hate Sky. I don't hate any of the English teams. What annoys me is the constant inferiority complex which still surrounds English football. It used to be the national team. It seems to have spread to club teams. Stan Collymore was accusing a Bilbao player of showboating because he could control a ball. There is no god given right for English teams to dominate Europe. Ditto Spain, Italy, Germany. It's cyclical. When you go around telling everyone how great you are and you fuck up, it's not gonna be a surprise if a few people make fun of you.

Completely this. But it's the media; almost everyone here is level headed and understands this.

By the way we were promoted at Ewood Park 1-4 I know because I was fucking steam boats in your end (Riverside Stand) and had to fend off aload of rovers fans, stumbled onto the pitch at the end of it. Then woke up next morning with a Sky Sports pitchside microphone, HUH.

Still have it.

I hated that day I just remember being tired because I'd been up all night at a party and not slept a wink and then there were city fans everywhere

rodvik

I think that's the point. It isn't that there isn't competition in La Liga, it's just that Barca are pretty much one of the greatest teams of all time and Madrid have the most incredible squad in Europe and are probably the best counter attacking unit I've seen since the Invincibles era Arsenal. I just don't like it when credit isn't given when it's due. Neither Man Utd or Man City have played weakened sides in the Uefa cup. Most of the absences were related to injury and in the case of Scholes he simply can't play 2 games a week any more. Bilbao didn't win because Man Utd didn't give a crap. I've seen Fergie send out weakened teams in the Carling Cup and CL games where they've already qualified. They were simply outplayed.

I'm sorry if I vented at you but I'm sick of the English media dismissing the quality of the other European leagues week in/week out and Sky's constant tub thumping. Especially when the conditions for why the premiership is the 'best' league changes every season. One year it's because the English teams are dominating the CL knockout stages. Next year it's because of the competition and passion at grounds. Year after its something else.

If its fan passion I'd nominate the Bundesliga.

If it's technique and the league with the best teams in the world then over the last 2 years it's La Liga.

If it's the title race that's the deciding factor then you could easily nominate Portugal this season. 3 teams within 1 point.

Anyway, sorry if it sounds like I'm ranting. Not really at you, just the English media in general.

To be fair the Spanish media are just as bad as the English media if not worse about being blatantly nationalistic and inward looking.

Arnie

Still have it.

You went to a game? You're definitely not Kermit's alt then.

dc89

I hope for the sake of your own cognition that this was tongue in cheek.

24_09_2007_190349_ap_aptopix_iran_a.jpg

Maybe, maybe not.

Yes I am

To be fair the Spanish media are just as bad as the English media if not worse about being blatantly nationalistic and inward looking.

Probably so. I don't live in Spain. I live in Scotland so I've grown used to a media having fairly reasonable expectations. We've long accepted the problems in our game and that neither the club teams or national teams can cut it. There is a general acceptance within the professional bodies and amongst most fans that we need to change our game from the bottom upwards.

Our biggest issue (and England too) is impatience for success. That translates to youth level when we make winning the be all and end all from a young age and at the very top leagues when fans get impatient because the team passes the ball backwards to retain possession. Our biggest challenge will be overcoming mindsets hardened by a footballing culture which we've been stuck in for at least the last 50 odd years.

rodvik

Probably so. I don't live in Spain. I live in Scotland so I've grown used to a media having fairly reasonable expectations. We've long accepted the problems in our game and that neither the club teams or national teams can cut it. There is a general acceptance within the professional bodies and amongst most fans that we need to change our game from the bottom upwards.

Our biggest issue (and England too) is impatience for success. That translates to youth level when we make winning the be all and end all from a young age and at the very top leagues when fans get impatient because the team passes the ball backwards to retain possession. Our biggest challenge will be overcoming mindsets hardened by a footballing culture which we've been stuck in for at least the last 50 odd years.

Agree with that all the way.

FootballFan

Kind of hilarious.

The 'EPL' jibes are getting tedious as fuck, though.

Ahh yes, cause it was received extremely well by the rest of us EVERY. SINGLE. WEEK. when media, fans(not all), players etc talked about the EPL as if it was some league in the heavens only allowed to be played by gods in the greatest arenas of all (Britania, Etihad etc).

You guys are already sick of people putting down EPL for what? about 2 months? Try having people talk trash for 4 years, constantly(LaLiga and SerieA-GAF know what I am talking about).

And I actually enjoy watching the premierleague, I am FootballFan after all. But the extent that it gets overrated is just so annoying, that you wait for the moment their teams fail so you can laugh. Each league has their own positives and negatives, ups and downs. EPL is entertaining, their main positive point is that so many teams that are evenly matched (city, united, spurs, arsenal, chelsea and maybe even Liverpool).

Oh looks like Original Thinking has said it much better, great posts:
I think that's the point. It isn't that there isn't competition in La Liga, it's just that Barca are pretty much one of the greatest teams of all time and Madrid have the most incredible squad in Europe and are probably the best counter attacking unit I've seen since the Invincibles era Arsenal. I just don't like it when credit isn't given when it's due. Neither Man Utd or Man City have played weakened sides in the Uefa cup. Most of the absences were related to injury and in the case of Scholes he simply can't play 2 games a week any more. Bilbao didn't win because Man Utd didn't give a crap. I've seen Fergie send out weakened teams in the Carling Cup and CL games where they've already qualified. They were simply outplayed.

I'm sorry if I vented at you but I'm sick of the English media dismissing the quality of the other European leagues week in/week out and Sky's constant tub thumping. Especially when the conditions for why the premiership is the 'best' league changes every season. One year it's because the English teams are dominating the CL knockout stages. Next year it's because of the competition and passion at grounds. Year after its something else.

If its fan passion I'd nominate the Bundesliga.

If it's technique and the league with the best teams in the world then over the last 2 years it's La Liga.

If it's the title race that's the deciding factor then you could easily nominate Portugal this season. 3 teams within 1 point.

Anyway, sorry if it sounds like I'm ranting. Not really at you, just the English media in general.

Slizz

Came up on some new (German) kits recently. Friend of the family is a pilot and was in Germany for about 4 days an managed to snag me these:

YO3O8.jpg

Home and away FC Kaiserslautern kits, home Bayern, and the 2011 home Germany National kit.

EDIT: The black Kaiserslautern kit is pretty dope, within the white stripes are rosters of each title winning team they've had over the years.

Hixx

Ahh yes, cause it was received extremely well by the rest of us EVERY. SINGLE. WEEK. when media, fans(not all), players etc talked about the EPL as if it was some league in the heavens only allowed to be played by gods in the greatest arenas of all (Britania, Etihad etc).

You guys are already sick of people putting down EPL for what? about 2 months? Try having people talk trash for 4 years, constantly(LaLiga and SerieA-GAF know what I am talking about).

And I actually enjoy watching the premierleague, I am FootballFan after all. But the extent that it gets overrated is just so annoying, that you wait for the moment their teams fail so you can laugh. Each league has their own positives and negatives, ups and downs. EPL is entertaining, their main positive point is that so many teams that are evenly matched (city, united, spurs, arsenal, chelsea and maybe even Liverpool).

Difference is in this topic no one was lauding it over fans of other leagues over the last few years. So yes, it is fucking boring when people are spaffing their pants because an English team got beat so they can come in here and go 'LOL EPL'.

I honestly can't understand why you're getting all high and mighty because something is annoying me. It's shit patter.

'We had to endure foreign media gloating; so you should be ok with us making juvenile comments in a thread where the media gloating is widely (borderline unanimously, in fact) accepted to be ridiculous'

It's up there with the Suarez/Evra shite for tedious reading.

Fur_Q

I like you.

I think every league in Europe to's and fro's and that is a good thing but what is going on in Spain, everyone needs to take notice. Englands best, met Barcelona in the final of the CL in 09 and 11 and had no answer, had no response and were overwhelmed.

Bilbao again making the Premiership leaders look clueless. And them being 4th or so in La Liga and playing such good football.

I really wanna see more of this team.

Wilbur

Banned
I like you.

I think every league in Europe to's and fro's and that is a good thing but what is going on in Spain, everyone needs to take notice. Englands best, met Barcelona in the final of the CL in 09 and 11 and had no answer, had no response and were overwhelmed.

Bilbao again making the Premiership leaders look clueless. And them being 4th or so in La Liga and playing such good football.

I really wanna see more of this team.

They're brilliant; they're not great away from home at the moment and they've been struggling after Europa League matches but if they keep the nucleus of the squad and Bielsa they'll be top 4 for years to come.

Fur_Q

They're brilliant; they're not great away from home at the moment and they've been struggling after Europa League matches but if they keep the nucleus of the squad and Bielsa they'll be top 4 for years to come.

I would love City to put in a bid for Martinez. Great player.

Difference is in this topic no one was lauding it over fans of other leagues over the last few years. So yes, it is fucking boring when people are spaffing their pants because an English team got beat so they can come in here and go 'LOL EPL'.

I honestly can't understand why you're getting all high and mighty because something is annoying me. It's shit patter.

'We had to endure foreign media gloating; so you should be ok with us making juvenile comments in a thread where the media gloating is widely (borderline unanimously, in fact) accepted to be ridiculous'

It's up there with the Suarez/Evra shite for tedious reading.

If you are a football fan you very quickly get used to other people lauding it over you. I'm sure if Newcastle had thumped Sunderland you'd have never heard the end of it. Not necessarily in this thread, but certainly at work and socially. You need to grow a thick skin to this stuff. There are definitely people in the football thread who've questioned the quality of the Portuguese league and in particular the Spanish league. It's not unusual for people to stick the knife in for a bit of schadenfraude every now and then. In fact it's probably healthy. Tonight the EPL got a little bit of a reality check. I'm sure they will be much better next season and then those who 've had the mickey taken out of their teams this year will have the opportunity to score a few points themselves.

If Man Utd finished mid table for the next two seasons, please don't tell me you wouldn't enjoy it? It's nice to see the high and mighty cut down to size every now and then. As a Hearts fan I can't tell you how much I've enjoyed seeing Rangers humbled these past few months. I don't want anyone to lose their jobs, but I'll quite happily take pleasure when they aren't winning football matches week in/week out which they've been spoiled with for years.

CrunchyB

Englands best, met Barcelona in the final of the CL in 09 and 11 and had no answer, had no response and were overwhelmed.

Of course, they first took on billions of euros of debt to attract the best players in the world. But so did the English teams.

I wonder how the upcoming Financial Fair Play rules will change the balance. Because they can't keep spending money they don't have.

Wilbur

Banned
I'd take Muniain.

Thought Pogba played well today when he came on, helped us hold the ball and we actually had a bit of a presence in midfield.

I'd take Muniain or Susaeta over Young, Martinez over any of our centre midfielders. Pogba did have a presence that's true, but Cleverley was terrible for 85 minutes tonight.

Sleepy

EDIT: The black Kaiserslautern kit is pretty dope, within the white stripes are rosters of each title winning team they've had over the years.

Now that's cool. Got a close up of the stripes?

I just bought the 10/11 England Home and Away kits (they were cheap on WSS.com). Home is awesome and, while I like the away it fits weird, but I guess I will get used to it. Buying jerseys is pretty addictive.

rodvik

Of course, they first took on billions of euros of debt to attract the best players in the world. But so did the English teams.

I wonder how the upcoming Financial Fair Play rules will change the balance. Because they can't keep spending money they don't have.

Germany will benefit. Most of the top clubs there are already very well run.

dschalter

it cannot be emphasized enough that financial fair play will not be a serious problem for non-sugar daddy clubs. united, arsenal, liverpool, barca, madrid, bayern, and the like will be fine. city and chelsea will probably have some issues, as will inter and perhaps us.

the person you want to read on this is swiss ramble, he does a good job of going in depth, most 'journalists' will simply look to attract attention by citing high debt figures in nonsensical doomsaying articles (similar to this is the AST stupidity).

Hixx

If you are a football fan you very quickly get used to other people lauding it over you. I'm sure if Newcastle had thumped Sunderland you'd have never heard the end of it. Not necessarily in this thread, but certainly at work and socially. You need to grow a thick skin to this stuff. There are definitely people in the football thread who've questioned the quality of the Portuguese league and in particular the Spanish league. It's not unusual for people to stick the knife in for a bit of schadenfraude every now and then. In fact it's probably healthy. Tonight the EPL got a little bit of a reality check. I'm sure they will be much better next season and then those who 've had the mickey taken out of their teams this year will have the opportunity to score a few points themselves.

If Man Utd finished mid table for the next two seasons, please don't tell me you wouldn't enjoy it? It's nice to see the high and mighty cut down to size every now and then. As a Hearts fan I can't tell you how much I've enjoyed seeing Rangers humbled these past few months. I don't want anyone to lose their jobs, but I'll quite happily take pleasure when they aren't winning football matches week in/week out which they've been spoiled with for years.

I'm not getting wound up by it. I take pretty much everything in this topic with a huge pile of salt. I've seen my team relegated more times than I've seen us win a derby. It's safe to say I've grown a thick skin in most football related matters.

It's just crap patter. Boring and dull cos it instigates the same merry-go-round of arguments into which league is better when the only real answer is there is no best league because everyone has a different method to judge by.

Slizz

Now that's cool. Got a close up of the stripes?

I just bought the 10/11 England Home and Away kits (they were cheap on WSS.com). Home is awesome and, while I like the away it fits weird, but I guess I will get used to it. Buying jerseys is pretty addictive.

Best I can get with my camera phone and minimal light:

AZqqa.jpg

I really want this past seasons Werder Bremen orange and green kit. It's on sale on kitbag right now for 55$

elsk

Banned
Lahm is going to play as RB for the rest of the season, at least. But Loew says he will keep him in the LB for the Germany NT
KuGsj.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom