• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/12 |OT8| Made it to the Championship play-offs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Benfica made some clumsy challenges but they do not deserve to be down to 10 men. It's not like they've been hacking players down.

Nothing worse than a ref trying to stamp is authority down in the first 10 minutes by dishing yellows out at anyone who walks over to him.

Don't deserve? Both yellows were merited.

Not sure if this was posted yet but all I can do is shake my head

Kenny believes his current squad is good enough to challenge for the title next season

rampageheadshakegif.gif
Long live the King!

Meier

Reading the ESPN recap, it sounds like every time Aimar touches the ball, nothing good comes of it. I checked out his career stats and they're absolutely godawful for a Forward. Do Benfica really not have someone better than him? :O

keit4

Banned
???
Watch the game and tell me if those yellow cards are normal. And if a Madrid referee is something normal, when was pretty clear we are facing them in the semis?

I know better than you that spanish refs are atrocious. If this post had been made by another user, i wouldn't care, but was made by you, a user who has some kind of crusade against spaniards.

Reading the ESPN recap, it sounds like every time Aimar touches the ball, nothing good comes of it. I checked out his career stats and they're absolutely godawful for a Forward. Do Benfica really not have someone better than him? :O

He's never been a forward... He's a playmaker I'd say. Did you ever see him play at Valencia? He's still quite good imo.

And this is why statistics can deceive.

He's their best player. He's the one who's setting the tempo for most of this match.

rvy

Banned

Aimar... is not a forward?

Meier

He's never been a forward... He's a playmaker I'd say. Did you ever see him play at Valencia? He's still quite good imo.

Okay, that makes sense. Netting a max of 5 goals per year during a 4 year period would be cringeworthy for a Forward. I guess Benfica's formation must not really jive with how ESPN classifies players.. they're showing them in a 4-4-2 setup (http://soccernet.espn.go.com/gamecast?id=340278&cc=5901) with Aimar as the second Forward. His assist numbers do seem quite pedestrian for a MF though as well for what it's worth.

My knowledge of the Portuguese leagues is limited to Football Manager where I play as Porto. Cardozo and Ricky van Wolfswinkel are about the only non-Porto players who do anything of note in the game haha.

rififi

APOEL scores, correct me if I am wrong, but it seems that the majority of goals against Madrid are from leaving too big of gaps/holes between the defenders where a simple through ball leads to a goal.

Zabojnik

To stay on topic!

Milan's:
Fiorentina Home
Chievo Away
Bologna Home
Genoa Home
Siena Away
Atalanta Home
FC Internazionale HomeAway
Novara Home

Oh god..

Jesus Christ, I knew it was bad, but not this bad. A fucking cakewalk for the rossoneri. :/ Including the match against Inter. Merde's fans, being the worst of the worst, are already talking about letting Milan win just to spite us. I can only hope that history repeates itself on the 5th of may. Lazio too was supposed to be the sacrificial lamb in 2002 and we all know how that went. Although I have a feeling the scudetto race will be long over by then.

Keio

For a Finer World
Standards of officiating are atrocious.

Benfica looking better. Except they can't take their chances.

I need a Ronaldo gif :( The stream I was watching was a guy streaming a stream, and he paused and resumed and it skipped the goal :| What the hell.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Jesus Christ, I knew it was bad, but not this bad. A fucking cakewalk for the rossoneri. :/ Including the match against Inter. Merde's fans, being the worst of the worst, are already talking about letting Milan win just to spite us. I can only hope that history repeates itself on the 5th of may. Lazio too was supposed to be the sacrificial lamb in 2002 and we all know how that went. Although I have a feeling the scudetto race will be long over by then.

Lazio and Roma are both fighting for the third spot, so no gifts from anyone :(

There will be blood spitting.

3-1 Ronaldo

untitled-10m1k9e.gif

Commentator just said that was the first goal Ronaldo has scored from a direct freekick all season after 38 attempts. Is that right? I was sure he scored a freekick earlier in the season.

kingkaiser

APOEL scores, correct me if I am wrong, but it seems that the majority of goals against Madrid are from leaving too big of gaps/holes between the defenders where a simple through ball leads to a goal.

Seems like it. If they play like this against us in two weeks then Ribery, Kroos and Robben will tear them apart. Can't wait for that match.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom