• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/12 |OT8| Made it to the Championship play-offs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dibbz

chelsea vs barca!

drogba.gif

Can't wait. Chelsea are going to get fucking steamrolled to hell and back.

Tactically Chelsea got it all wrong. As soon as Benfica went down to ten they should have stretched the game and played wide. Their best chances came when Cole and Kalou got in behind Benfica on the left wing. Unfortunately Kalou is rubbish so he wasted mostly everything.

Should have stretched Benfica a lot more and they would have had plenty more chances to score. They were so wasteful on the ball, I wonder what the passing % were like, Mata was as low as 70%.

GQman2121

Banned
I don't know if we're the right fit to play the underdog. But after a performance like that, it's going to take quite the turnaround to stand a chance next round.

Do we know the home/away situation yet or is that to be decided? Away first suits us better in the fixture I think.

untitled-17ihx9i.gif

Wowow at that Di Maria chip.. a beauty. From a post earlier, were Real players really bitching about that penalty? Could it have been more blatantly earned?!

Didn't get to see the penalty and appeal live, only switched on during the replay of the penalty after which everyone was outside the box.

Kyoufu

I feel dirty rooting for Chelsea in the semi's

But anyone is better than Barca at this point

Barca are not invincible. Bayern/Real have a chance to beat them. Chelsea don't have any chance of winning in the final.

Then again, anything can happen in football.

Tactically Chelsea got it all wrong. As soon as Benfica went down to ten they should have stretched the game and played wide. Their best chances came when Cole and Kalou got in behind Benfica on the left wing. Unfortunately Kalou is rubbish so he wasted mostly everything.

Should have stretched Benfica a lot more and they would have had plenty more chances to score. They were so wasteful on the ball, I wonder what the passing % were like, Mata was as low as 70%.

I think Chelsea exploited Witsel well on the left wing after the sending off, Kalou got to the area like 5 times, Mata had a clear chance that clearly happened because we were one man down. They played to the left for the entire 45 minutes and it worked well, the chances were there.

Moobabe

Just about everything wrong with that performance - everything.

Lampard and Mikel, again, showing they don't have the capacity at European level to pressure the ball - something which is essential against top level opposition. They face up the ball, keep the ball in view and make no attempt at tackles - that simply isn't good enough, they were lucky tonight, but if we play like that again next round we'll be eliminated; it's that simple.

Ramires has to play centrally - in place of either Mikel or Lampard - alongside Meireles, who has more quality on the ball than Frank does. Kalou, at least, offers us some width and direct running, he's just extremely bad at it. He can go in the summer.

Torres was quiet tonight, though no-one on our side stood out for the right reasons. Di Matteo was lucky as well - I'm not sure he got the right response from the team in the second half, we had to go for the winner instead of trying to be "sensible."

The only positive is we cannot possibly be that bad against Barca. The main negative is we have something like 12 games in 36 days. Bring it on I guess.

I don't know if we're the right fit to play the underdog. But after a performance like that, it's going to take quite the turnaround to stand a chance next round.

Do we know the home/away situation yet or is that to be decided? Away first suites us better in the fixture I think.
Pretty sure first leg is at SB.

Always better to be away first, stats suggest team which is away first goes through more often.

rvy

Banned
I'd like to know what is rvy feeling right now? :p

The non-Chelsea supporters in this thread have already answered that :p.
On the plus side, we have 2 posts from Metalmurphy actually upset that Benfica didn't score, unless I can't read properly, so... you know, it wasn't all bad. And then we have like 10 posts from Porto supporters defending the penalty that wasn't given in the 1st leg.

It's just a shame some players behaved like children, we could have definitely won. Chelsea were dominated playing against 10 men and a team with no proper CBs and a lot of half-baked solutions.
Garay and Luisão out, Javi not playing as a defensive midfielder... bunch of shitty situations to deal with squad-wise.

I have no idea how this Chelsea side is going to handle Barça.

In any case, congrats to Chelsea.

offtopic

He measures in centimeters
Just got back from watching Benfica and Chelsea.

I'd like to congratulate Barca on their spot in the finals.

Right I am just making a FIFA NeoGaf pro club and wanted FootballGAF's input on which kit we should use?

Anyone who wants to join the FIFA 360 pro club can find it by sending a join request to NeoGAF FC (temporary name) or PM me your GT :)

Servers are down atm so you won't be able to join until I can connect again to make the club haha

Edit : Made it :) Server worked again for me :)

I think Chelsea exploited Witsel well on the left wing after the sending off, Kalou got to the area like 5 times, Mata had a clear chance that clearly happened because we were one man down. They played to the left for the entire 45 minutes and it worked well, the chances were there.

Yeah Witsel never played right back, it's not his natural position at all and he never played there since he went through the youth ranks at Standard. He didn't do that bad considering he's no defender but Kalou skinned him a few times. Kalou was way too wasteful though (as usual).

I think Chelsea will beat Barca over the two legs, something like 0-0 at the Bridge and 1-1 at Camp Nou.

Sloosha

Just about everything wrong with that performance - everything.

Lampard and Mikel, again, showing they don't have the capacity at European level to pressure the ball - something which is essential against top level opposition. They face up the ball, keep the ball in view and make no attempt at tackles - that simply isn't good enough, they were lucky tonight, but if we play like that again next round we'll be eliminated; it's that simple.

Ramires has to play centrally - in place of either Mikel or Lampard - alongside Meireles, who has more quality on the ball than Frank does. Kalou, at least, offers us some width and direct running, he's just extremely bad at it. He can go in the summer.

Torres was quiet tonight, though no-one on our side stood out for the right reasons. Di Matteo was lucky as well - I'm not sure he got the right response from the team in the second half, we had to go for the winner instead of trying to be "sensible."

The only positive is we cannot possibly be that bad against Barca. The main negative is we have something like 12 games in 36 days. Bring it on I guess.

Yep, I think that pretty much sums up my thoughts on the game. Meireles should be getting more starts ahead of Lampard. We have to be able to do better then Mikel in that position - What happened to Romeu?

Anyway, Just happy to be in the semi-finals I guess.

Sealda

Banned
Yeah Witsel never played right back, it's not his natural position at all and he never played there since he went through the youth ranks at Standard. He didn't do that bad considering he's no defender but Kalou skinned him a few times. Kalou was way too wasteful though (as usual).

I think Chelsea will beat Barca over the two legs, something like 0-0 at the Bridge and 1-1 at Camp Nou.

michaeljordanlol_1.gif

SAT 7th Apr - Chelsea vs Wigan (PL)
MON 9th Apr - Fulham vs Chelsea (PL)
SUN 15t Apr - Chelsea vs Tottenham (FA)
WED 18th Apr - Chelsea vs Barcelona (CL)
SAT 21st Apr - Arsenal vs Chelsea (PL)
TUE 24th Apr - Barcelona vs Chelsea (CL)

Chelsea are going to struggle to keep pace in the League, don't see them getting a CL spot now.

SAT 7th Apr - Chelsea vs Wigan (PL)
MON 9th Apr - Fulham vs Chelsea (PL)
SUN 15t Apr - Chelsea vs Tottenham (FA)
WED 18th Apr - Chelsea vs Barcelona (CL)
SAT 21st Apr - Arsenal vs Chelsea (PL)
TUE 24th Apr - Barcelona vs Chelsea (CL)

Chelsea are going to struggle to keep pace in the League, don't see them getting a CL spot now.
That is grim.

Sealda

Banned
What did he say?

Basically the reporter asked if it will be Real vs. Barca or Chelsea in the final. To which mourinho answered weirdly: "I just know it will not be Real Madrid vs. Chelsea"

and then he repeated that several times and ended by saying "And you know why..."

basically, referring to the referee crap.

Kyoufu

Basically the reporter asked if it will be Real vs. Barca or Chelsea in the final. To which mourinho answered weirdly: "I just know it will not be Real Madrid vs. Chelsea"

and then he repeated that several times and ended by saying "And you know why..."

I'm not sure if I'm looking forward to salty Barcelona haters blaming Chelsea's inevitable defeat on the referee.

Oh Mourinho, such a hypocrite.

Sealda

Banned
Regarding bad refereeing.

110120hp2.jpg

Someone uploaded the full 2 hours of South Korea- Italy match of 2002 world cup. Definitely, the most obvious corrupt officiating ever. The ref. of the match even got caught 6 years later smuggling heroin from Colombia! Also was disciplined for being bought in other matches!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyk23zjvEug

It was actually truly sad and outrageous. Right in front of the whole fucking world. Everyone saw it, it was embarrassing.

I mean it was worse than a russian bandy league match.

EDIT:

Basically, same ref. who cheated Italy did this:

Moreno was arrested on September 21, 2010 at the John F. Kennedy International Airport in New York, while trying to smuggle in six kilograms (over ten pounds) of heroin, which was hidden in his underwear.[9]

Moreno signalled six minutes of injury time, then allowed play to continue for thirteen minutes, during which Liga de Quito scored an equaliser in the 99th minute, then won the game in the 101st minute.

In May 2003, in his third game back from his suspension, Moreno was again suspended, for one match, after he sent off three players from visiting Deportivo Quito in a 1–1 draw at Deportivo Cuenca. 

Why am i bringing this up?

BECAUSE: When one of the worst scandals happened in front of the whole world during a world cup and where we know for a fact the fucking referee is a corrupt bastard, NOTHING EVER HAPPENED!

Nothing...the football world raged for a few minutes, Italy for a few more days, then everyone forgot about it...

Even if the ref. had given Ibra a red card for a minor offense, nothing would have happened. We would have had, a few headlines but the majority of the experts would still say "Oh, well, it was a bit tough and weird but it made sense"...

Even if Barca did a Suarez and Milan would have given no penalty kick, not much would really happen! Basically, nothing ever happens which the Italy- South Korea match illustrates...

Yen

Karren Brady is so tedious. She's presented herself as both Rosa Parks and a great director on this sexism show.

rififi

Madrid have been scoring some amazing goals lately. Hopefully this continues to the crucial week where we play Bayern-Barca-Bayern in late April.

I agree. Unfortunately, Madrid still have weak spots in their back line. An opposing team can often break through with a simple through ball.

I am confident in Madrid, but I feel the only way they can win is by outscoring their opponent rather than trying to prevent conceding goals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom